Deloittes review into Scottish football…

Mr Sifter

This thread will probably sink like a stone given all that’s gone on this weekend, but the thread on our Euro finances got me thinking about the report that (some) clubs had asked Deloittes to produce. Back in September last year, we were told that there would be an initial report due “within six months”. Has anyone heard/read about it anywhere? 

https://scottishfinancialreview.com/2021/09/15/clubs-hire-deloitte-to-unlock-value-in-scots-football/

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

This thread will probably sink like a stone given all that’s gone on this weekend, but the thread on our Euro finances got me thinking about the report that (some) clubs had asked Deloittes to produce. Back in September last year, we were told that there would be an initial report due “within six months”. Has anyone heard/read about it anywhere? 

https://scottishfinancialreview.com/2021/09/15/clubs-hire-deloitte-to-unlock-value-in-scots-football/

It might be possible to get an update from the club's majority shareholder when FOH holds its Q&A later this month.

jamboinglasgow

Read a few weeks back from a journalist who had a chat with Aberdeens chairman Cormack and he said it will be ready shortly. 

8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Read a few weeks back from a journalist who had a chat with Aberdeens chairman Cormack and he said it will be ready shortly. 

Will it contain lots of data?  

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, RobNox said:

No idea was just one line in a tweet so no idea what is released

part_time_jambo
24 minutes ago, RobNox said:

19 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

No idea was just one line in a tweet so no idea what is released

I think that might have been sarcasm.

SomethingAboutObua

What was the point of the report (as a genuine question, I've forgotten)? Was it to review the real value (and the chronic undervaluing) of the game, or was it to review what's the best routes to create the best value for the game? 

Bit off topic but were Dundee part of the group or just United? 

2 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

What was the point of the report (as a genuine question, I've forgotten)? Was it to review the real value (and the chronic undervaluing) of the game, or was it to review what's the best routes to create the best value for the game? 

I think both Dundee clubs, both Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen.  Basically, all the Yankee owners plus FOH.

12 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

8 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I think both Dundee clubs, both Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen.  Basically, all the Yankee owners plus FOH.

Aye. Mentions the clubs involved here - 

SPFL member clubs Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian announced that “with the endorsement of the SPFL” they have commissioned Deloitte as independent advisers to assist in a “strategic and holistic review of the SPFL.”

The clubs said the primary focus of their six-month review will be on identifying ways of “unlocking significant additional revenues for the benefit of all in professional Scottish club football.”

One of the aims of the review will be to almost double the annual distribution to member clubs from £27 million to at least £50 million within the next five years.

The clubs said the review is being undertaken with a view to identifying “how the SPFL can significantly increase the annual distribution of revenues” to member clubs.

They said: “This is not about redistribution of existing income sources in favour of so-called ‘bigger clubs’.

“The clubs are seeking to unlock new revenues and grow the Scottish game as a whole where ‘a rising tide lifts all ships’.

“We believe that unlocking new revenues will allow us to, amongst other things, produce better, more technically gifted players, to compete in European club competitions and at national level.

“The SPFL board has endorsed this important review that the clubs have commissioned with Deloitte and welcome the support and engagement of all who share our ambition to grow the Scottish game via a clear vision, strategy, and set of goals.”

In a statement, the clubs added: “As a group of clubs, who will spend around £600m over the next ten years (in both operations and infrastructure) we believe a clear vision and strategy with measurable goals is needed if Scottish Football is to continue to grow and prosper on and off the pitch, and ultimately compete with similar-sized countries and leagues across Europe.

“The clubs, who have commissioned this work with Deloitte, welcome the engagement of all stakeholders in the game and intend to make the key outcomes and recommendations public.”

Deloitte’s Sports Business Group has been engaged to complete the first phase of a six-month review with the goal of developing a blueprint and road map to “shape and guide the future of Scottish professional football.”

The strategic review will focus on four key areas — commercial growth; the SPFL brand; SPFL structure, governance, organisation, resources and competition; and strategic projects.

On commercial growth, the review will explore the opportunities and structure to significantly increase league revenues and, by extension, funds distributed to member clubs.

“The analysis will include league inventory and value of sponsorships and commercial partnerships, broadcast and media licensing, new product opportunities, inventory development, structure and staffing, among other initiatives to drive revenue growth,” said the clubs.

“For reference, the current annual distribution to member clubs is £27m, and the hope and expectation is to test the aspiration and goal of achieving at least £50m of annual distributions within the next five years.”

On the SPFL brand, the review will explore “how we can work together to strengthen and promote the image and brand” of the league and the Scottish game.

“The SPFL is one the most exciting leagues in Europe — it is authentic, intense, and passionate,” said the clubs.

“Few leagues and clubs have the level of engagement, attendance and support that exists in Scottish football.

“We should cherish, promote and celebrate it.”

On SPFL structure, governance, organisation, resources and competition, the exercise will review and recommend structural and organisational changes to improve the governance and administration of the league — focused on “streamlining the delivery” of the strategic goals.

It will benchmark against other leagues and best practices across the game.

On strategic projects, the report will review and recommend initiatives “that complement and advance the strategic, commercial, and sporting goals” of the league.

Areas of review could include government relations, philanthropy, safety and security of venues, youth academies and player development.

Edited by Mr Sifter

I have heard that the review has identified that Hibs are In fact delusional fantasists and also crap. Don’t shoot the messenger 😎

• 1 month later...
Footballfirst

I wonder if its recommendations will feed into, or be overtaken by, the review of the pyramid that was promised following the admittance of the 3 x B Teams into the LL.

On 17/04/2022 at 20:04, Tatlock said:

I have heard that the review has identified that Hibs are In fact delusional fantasists and also crap. Don’t shoot the messenger 😎

:groundhog:

132goals1958
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I think a review into why "the review" hasn't reviewed is required:whistling:

Excuse my cynicism but in general, consultancies give you a watch and then tell you the time. I remember PWC compiling their annual review of Scottish Football which was an absolute waste of time. They would consolidate the combined profit and loss accounts of the clubs and then tell you who was making an operating profit. It was hardly revealing. when our wages exceeded turnover it was unlikely to be a sustainable model. Similarly Rangers / Celtic fan base sponsorship money, European Income put them on a different level from their competitors. (surprise surprise) Don’t recall who commissioned the report or how much it cost but it was more or less a synopsis copied from the accounts at Companies House. Hardly illuminating data and I would only hope there is a more imaginative blueprint in relation to the Deloittes review.

The big four are IMO some of the most corrupt corporate organisations in the western world - who gives a feck what they've put a couple of 23yr old trainees onto for a fortnight.

5 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Excuse my cynicism but in general, consultancies give you a watch and then tell you the time. I remember PWC compiling their annual review of Scottish Football which was an absolute waste of time. They would consolidate the combined profit and loss accounts of the clubs and then tell you who was making an operating profit. It was hardly revealing. when our wages exceeded turnover it was unlikely to be a sustainable model. Similarly Rangers / Celtic fan base sponsorship money, European Income put them on a different level from their competitors. (surprise surprise) Don’t recall who commissioned the report or how much it cost but it was more or less a synopsis copied from the accounts at Companies House. Hardly illuminating data and I would only hope there is a more imaginative blueprint in relation to the Deloittes review.

In one of my first former roles I dealt with a a large number of consultants.

One of them was good.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to bump this as it seems very very strange now that there’s been nothing come of this so far. Announced in a blaze of glory, last mentioned by Ron Gordon at Hibs a few weeks back…yet nothing? 

On 17/06/2022 at 20:54, Masonic said:

they are very reputable i have used their stories before to help me decide on certain investments 

https://cointelegraph.com/news/75-of-retailers-eyeing-crypto-payments-within-24-months-deloitte

Also seems very strange to see this guy shilling crypto on another thread.  

Deoitte as one of the 4 big corrupt auditors are certainly not reputable.

15 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Was it not them who the SPFL got in to exonerate them selfs after claims they were up to no good

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Decided to bump this as it seems very very strange now that there’s been nothing come of this so far. Announced in a blaze of glory, last mentioned by Ron Gordon at Hibs a few weeks back…yet nothing? 

SPFL will have buried it. What else would anyone have expected.

We need a breakaway league to prosper IMO. Shame we bottled it first time round. Also shame we bottled the SPL TV proposal - we’d have full rights to sell / stream around the world by now in a hugely different environment.

Maybe Barry Hearn fancies an Indian Summer appointment… 

6 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

This might be a bit off topic but the Mongolian Premier League have VAR.  Implemented before Scotland.

I don't think you are allowed to call SPL that in this day and age.

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

SPFL will have buried it. What else would anyone have expected.

We need a breakaway league to prosper IMO. Shame we bottled it first time round. Also shame we bottled the SPL TV proposal - we’d have full rights to sell / stream around the world by now in a hugely different environment.

Maybe Barry Hearn fancies an Indian Summer appointment… 

It was commissioned by a group of clubs. It isn't in the SPFL's gift to bury it.

Assuming it has any meaningful recommendations in it, the clubs would be well advised to be briefing other clubs and select media before publication to ensure it gets some vocal support before the usual suspects line up against it.

Barry Hearn failed miserably every time he tried his hand at football.

Alex MacDonald

Deloittes were a shocking choice to conduct any professional and independent audit or review of our game, and they’ll be charging silly money to carry it out. Hopefully the clubs have inserted some form of quality/competence guarantee into the contract. I’d be more confident with The Tufty Club reviewing our game.

Lone Striker
21 hours ago, Sooks said:

Was it not them who the SPFL got in to exonerate them selfs after claims they were up to no good

Someone posted a "map" a while back, showing the organisations suspected of being in Sellick's sphere of influence.   It included Harper McLeod and Deloitte, I think.

Edit - just found it.  It was just Harper McLeod, no mention of Deloitte.   

My experience of these big consultancy firms is that their initial reports tend to focus on things which are likely to bring them further consultancy business from their client.     The world of business consultants is a murky (but lucrative) one.       

Edited by Lone Striker

132goals1958
On 27/06/2022 at 12:29, WageThief said:

A record £15million fine in 2020 might give some credence to that observation.

Watt-Zeefuik

Deloitte is a huge firm and for some customers they do perfectly fine work. However 15 years or so my employer, a large and prestigious US public university, hired them to help implement the new ERP IT system. They absolutely flushed money down the toilet and were eventually fired with the system far over budget and nowhere near working.

7 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Someone posted a "map" a while back, showing the organisations suspected of being in Sellick's sphere of influence.   It included Harper McLeod and Deloitte, I think.

Edit - just found it.  It was just Harper McLeod, no mention of Deloitte.   

My experience of these big consultancy firms is that their initial reports tend to focus on things which are likely to bring them further consultancy business from their client.     The world of business consultants is a murky (but lucrative) one.       

On this last point, the other thing that could be happening is that initial reports have revealed some embarrassing oversights by the clubs that hired them. The clubs are working to fix those before the full report is released. As above, it also could be that they just did shite work and had nothing to add except "do an NFT thing" or some such, but who knows.

I want an answer on where this is tbh. 

And if it doesn't call Doncaster out for his huge salary and failure to deliver a competitive TV deal then its a sham report. Prick needed his hand held by Lawwell to get a pish deal, couldn't even be arsed finding a league sponsor, that had to be dropped in his lap by a consultancy firm that then took £500k out of the already meagre deal. He's not fit for purpose and anyone claiming otherwise needs their head looked at. 

Plus he looks like he needs his hard drives checked. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Deloitte’s are little more than a money pit for clients.

Loads of experience of huge “projects” costing millions and concluding what anyone with a brain could have concluded without the spend or implementing a proposal which was a disaster.

I would add that most other companies of that ilk - PAC, EY etc are no better.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

That thing you do
On 17/04/2022 at 12:07, RobNox said:

Yep. The purpose of this is exploring new pathways to get money into the game. Hopefully having a spine during TV negotiations will be the first suggestion, followed by Summer football.

I was watching that "Footy Adventures" you tube channel - incidentally I think the boy covers Scottish football very well - besides one too many trips to Ibrox. He was just over watching Shamrock Rov v Bohemians in the Dublin Derby. The fans there were saying Irish football happens in the summer not because of weather but because they know when the EPL is on people prefer following it, so they throw the irish league in when its off season to attract more fans. They also said - and I've argued this for years - that it gives their teams a competitive edge in Europe. Norway and Finland do the same and comparatively do quite well in Europe. Bodo/Glimt being one recent example.

27 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Yep. The purpose of this is exploring new pathways to get money into the game. Hopefully having a spine during TV negotiations will be the first suggestion, followed by Summer football.

I was watching that "Footy Adventures" you tube channel - incidentally I think the boy covers Scottish football very well - besides one too many trips to Ibrox. He was just over watching Shamrock Rov v Bohemians in the Dublin Derby. The fans there were saying Irish football happens in the summer not because of weather but because they know when the EPL is on people prefer following it, so they throw the irish league in when its off season to attract more fans. They also said - and I've argued this for years - that it gives their teams a competitive edge in Europe. Norway and Finland do the same and comparatively do quite well in Europe. Bodo/Glimt being one recent example.

Completely agree re spine in negotiations. The fish rots from the head down though. Doncaster has to go to ever come back with anything close to a good deal. The guy is a spineless shitehouse. I don't doubt that the committee mentality in Scottish football has a large portion of the blame to take, but having that charlatan in charge certainly hasn't helped.  

On 27/06/2022 at 11:14, Mr Sifter said:

Was it not a 6 months review? When was it started?

EDIT: I see you mentioned September last year in your OP. 

So yeah, It's a bit late!

Edited by Pans Jambo

On 27/06/2022 at 11:14, Mr Sifter said:

Ron the Con reckons July:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/ron-gordon-drops-deloitte-review-24032061

davemclaren

My experience of these big consultancies is that they will take an existing report they have done for a similar industry and tweek it.  If you are lucky they might remember to change all the references to that other industry. 👍

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Still waiting…

Summer holibobs n nat eh? Pre-season, getting the carpet shampooed and getting a big shopping in.

Busy times...no be long noo.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Summer holibobs n nat eh? Pre-season, getting the carpet shampooed and getting a big shopping in.

Busy times...no be long noo.

🤣🤣

Dunno if the carpet is gettin shampooed…or the findings of the review are being swept under it tbh 🤔

Some stuff in it that’s unpalatable to the folk that run the game or to the Old Firm? A heavily redacted copy available soon.

The Treasurer
33 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Some stuff in it that’s unpalatable to the folk that run the game or to the Old Firm

Are they not one and the same 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Are they not one and the same 

Just about  - they have their acolytes placed in there under the guise of representing other clubs, but at the end of the day they are little more than toadies to what the uglies want.

I think it’s quite important that this report finds it’s way into the public domain. There needs to be genuine pressure put on Doncaster and Sky to secure a better TV deal and I’m general commercial deals. It’s hard to look at our performance in this department relative to Norway, Sweden or Denmark and not conclude that we’re doing something wrong.