*****Official Dundee United versus Heart of Midlothian Match Thread *****

cookieboy

1 minute ago, HoGwash said:

It's all a cunning plan by Hearts to make Woodburn appear rotten most of the season. Nobody wants him, we sign him up and he turns into a world beater.

👍

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Don Dan

• Morgan

• Bazzas right boot

28 minutes ago, Imaman said:

If only he was still banging them in for us but we have Ellis Simms these days 

Ah, The big man. Would be lovely if he became a legend for us like Robbo.

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I have a really weird feeling he's going to win the Cup for us.

It's his destiny to produce one moment of magic. 

You heard it here first 👍

I have been saying to a mate (he's sick of me saying it) that he's got a big goal in him before the end of the season. 

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes, more application today than I have seen from him. Looked like he was enjoying it. Had his touch been just a bit better we would have scored more. Would be good to have him fully match fit for final. 

👍

The Goalscoring Knee

Couldn't follow the game today but that is a really excellent result. Esp with a young back 3 of two loanees and a guy a bit (maybe a lot) short of confidence. Seems that once they'd got themselves sorted out they did themselves credit, along with everyone else fighting for a win in a dead rubber. A good dressing room indeed. :flag1:

4 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Ah, The big man. Would be lovely if he became a legend for us like Robbo.

He is on his way already after his banger against the vermin 

1 hour ago, Craig Herbertson said:

Anyone know if the game is being shown on telly. I tried my best world wide web search efforts and came up with a blank.

It was perfectly viewable via Hesgoal.

Craig Herbertson
Just now, Wee Mikey said:

It was perfectly viewable via Hesgoal.

I was travelling so couldn't watch. I heard on the radio it was on the telly later but I can't find it. The match is now like my reading glasses. Somewhere near but I have no idea where.

I never had the chance to even listen to the game today but so delighted we  got a great result and from what I’ve read in here played well , well done the JT’s👏👏👏

mickycameron98

If Ginnelly can get a run of games now in the split and perform as well as today then he could force himself into the cup final team. Caused all sorts of bother today.

stirlingshirejambo
14 minutes ago, 151 said:

He was great. Mentioned about the wee mans pin badge he's got on his scarf its the PSG badge. I said we got him it before the semi final he said it would be good luck and Robbies reply was

"Well, it certainly worked didnt it?" With a big smile. 

Devlin was brilliant with them aswell as was Gino - who we waited on the longest literally last man out the stadium :lol:

That’s great

i was straight out after and was back in Edinburgh for 6 probably same time as Gino came out stadium ha ha

Great that they spent short time with kids and actually spoke to them as well rather than scribbling an autograph

I genuinely think Robbie knows how much games mean to fans and great to see so many wee ones there today

3 minutes ago, Craig Herbertson said:

I was travelling so couldn't watch. I heard on the radio it was on the telly later but I can't find it. The match is now like my reading glasses. Somewhere near but I have no idea where.

Sportscene now on BBC Scotland, or 23:40 on BBC One.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

If Ginnelly can get a run of games now in the split and perform as well as today then he could force himself into the cup final team. Caused all sorts of bother today.

he was excellent 

Craig Herbertson
39 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Sportscene now on BBC Scotland, or 23:40 on BBC One.

Cheers.

42 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

People may say it’s his downfall, but when he’s in the mood he causes all sorts of bother. He’s scored goals too(obviously).

I like the guy. I know he’s inconsistent when he seems to get a starting place beyond a couple of games, but not that much he can be written off as ineffective or not as a reliable part of the squad.

There’s a nice mix in the squad. While Mackay gives you a more measured approach, Ginnelly is direct. He’ll run at people, look to cut in and get efforts on goal. 

What’s important for me is he doesn’t shirk it. He doesn’t go missing. He may be erratic with some of his play but he keeps battering on. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Boyce 4 goals off being our first 20 goal scorer since Robbo IIRC. Not bad for a shite never-a-footballer can't-score waste of space.

jamboinglasgow

Its a big statement that with nothing to play for having wraped up 3rd, with a fringe side and having conceeded the first goal we went on to win. It does back up what Robbie has said in the past about it being a small but strong squad. The fact that players who have not started much or played much stepped up when needed bodes well. Want us to reach at least 66 points before the end of the season.

LochcarronJambo
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I thought Woodburn slotted in pretty well. I’ve been one of his fiercest critics but we instantly improved after he replaced McEneff. Worked hard and gave United something to think about. 

Sorry but he gave them very little to think about & has shown very little in his time with us, I am disappointed to say

53 minutes ago, steve123 said:

He was and looked gutted to be substituted

The fact that he was hooked might mean that Robbie saw enough today to be mentally penciling him in for the final. He might get a few games and be hooked early to protect him a bit. Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Sorry but he gave them very little to think about & has shown very little in his time with us, I am disappointed to say

He’s been poor most of the season but not today. 

1 hour ago, Imaman said:

He is on his way already after his banger against the vermin 

And another belter today.

21 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Boyce 4 goals off being our first 20 goal scorer since Robbo IIRC. Not bad for a shite never-a-footballer can't-score waste of space.

Not bad at all.  Since Simms came in and took up the mantle of our focal point up front, Boyce has dropped back into a #10 role, which I actually thinks he is better suited to.  His goals have dried up a little bit, but I think he contributes better to our attack playing in behind Simms.  

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, RobNox said:

Not bad at all.  Since Simms came in and took up the mantle of our focal point up front, Boyce has dropped back into a #10 role, which I actually thinks he is better suited to.  His goals have dried up a little bit, but I think he contributes better to our attack playing in behind Simms.  

Agreed, and it suits his scoring more as well. He's a bit of a poacher who likes to get a sneaky tap in at the back post with a clever run. If he's the focal point, the defence is onto him and he has to hold the ball up, which isn't his strength.

Much better playing behind either Gino or Simms.

15 minutes ago, whodanny said:

The fact that he was hooked might mean that Robbie saw enough today to be mentally penciling him in for the final. He might get a few games and be hooked early to protect him a bit. Just a thought.

Maybe more that Robbie thought it was time to bring on fresh legs and unleash Simms on a tiring Utd defence.

26 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Very good performance in the end. Thought united let us back into it after going in front.

Did our team not fight their way into it?

Just now, Led Tasso said:

Agreed, and it suits his scoring more as well. He's a bit of a poacher who likes to get a sneaky tap in at the back post with a clever run. If he's the focal point, the defence is onto him and he has to hold the ball up, which isn't his strength.

Much better playing behind either Gino or Simms.

Also, he had a tendency to drop deeper at times to try and get on the ball, but when he did, there was often nobody in the box for him to pass to, because he was supposed to be the guy in the box making the run.

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Probably a bit of both, we certainly started to exert more control after the opening 15 minutes or so, possibly helped by United seeming to sit in a bit more.

26 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Maybe more that Robbie thought it was time to bring on fresh legs and unleash Simms on a tiring Utd defence.

Good point. It worked a treat too.

1 minute ago, whodanny said:

Good point. It worked a treat too.

It certainly did.  It fills me with joy that going into the last 20 minutes all square, instead of settling for a point we decide it's Ellis time.

7 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Delighted.  Hope we get a good crowd next Sunday to help keep the momentum going.

Even better if it's on sat .ugly sisters get Sunday to themselves next week🙂

Edited by Rockwell

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Delighted.  Hope we get a good crowd next Sunday to help keep the momentum going.

We should do Doug, it's super feel good factor time at the moment.  Hopefully a great atmosphere as well given what we've achieved over the last few games.  The injuries and knocks we are carrying means we'll likely see a few of the 'second string' out again, no need to risk any first choice player who is not 100%.  The beauty of it is, the players coming in have the incentive of a possible cup final appearance if they can put in a performance.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Something about playing Dundee Utd that suits Woodburn. Is it maybe that they don’t defend that tight in midfield ?. Games against UTD have been very open in general. I thought he was good today because he had space to turn and think and he worked hard in an unnatural position for him.

Mceneff was just jobbies. Can only play as a 10 and he’s not got enough to get a start in that role for us.

Atkinson, McKay, Ginelly, Moore and Simms were all outstanding today.

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

This is why I think he's worth a punt - particularly for next season in Europe. I think the style of football we'll come up against will suit him and he could flourish.

Good points. 

9 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Even better if it's on sat .ugly sisters get Sunday to themselves next week🙂

Good point, well made 😀

Got to hope the huns somehow pull off a win, it means the league could go down to the final weekend.  I'm also hoping they get to the Europa League final.  Keeps them fighting on 2 fronts in the run up to the SC final, while we can rotate players.

Ideal scenario for me...

Rangers beat Celtic next weekend, the league goes down to the final game but they lose out to Celtic

Rangers make Europa League final, played midweek after they lost the league, they get beaten after extra time

They pick up several injuries to key players who can't make the SC final

We play a badly depleted Rangers in the final, those that do play are knackered from the EL final and are on a low after losing the league title and EL final within the previous week.

We field a fully fit and refreshed team in the final and give them the dry boaby.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

And give Gino a rest. 

He's not played much, Likley knackered. 

47 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

And give Gino a rest. 

He's not played much, Likley knackered. 

Exactly, give Gino a rest, bring on fresh legs, worst thing is to leave a tiring Gino on and risk him picking up an injury.  At the end of the day, the result was inconsequential and while Robbie would like us to win these games, there's no point in risking players in the run up to the final.  We're in a great position whereby none of our remaining league games are in any way meaningful, so we can use them to give fringe players a chance while nursing our best players back to full fitness for the final.

14 minutes ago, CornhillHearts said:

Aaron's vlog from today:

Great vlog from Aaron, as usual 👍

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

Exactly, give Gino a rest, bring on fresh legs, worst thing is to leave a tiring Gino on and risk him picking up an injury.  At the end of the day, the result was inconsequential and while Robbie would like us to win these games, there's no point in risking players in the run up to the final.  We're in a great position whereby none of our remaining league games are in any way meaningful, so we can use them to give fringe players a chance while nursing our best players back to full fitness for the final.

For me every Hearts game is meaningful. If in my  lifetime only so called "meaningful" games counted I would not have see too many

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

For me every Hearts game is meaningful. If in my  lifetime only so called "meaningful" games counted I would not have see too many

The cup final is more meaningful. 

There's not often in your life time we've had European group stage football tied with no chance of going up or down a league position either with a cup final in the bag. 

How many times has that happened in your life? 

Every game has some meaning tho, 

Points, win bonus, confidence, match fitness, fighting for a place in the team etc. 

Clearly some games are more important or meaningful than others. The cup final is up there. 

Jambof3tornado
10 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Bit of both but it was clear united came out the traps like men possessed but couldnt maintain it. We passed the ball well to counter their press which was pleasing and scored the 1st at a crucial time.

Ginnelly is an interesting one. First half he was pretty garbage. Off the pace, offsides, poor passes and just not reading the game at all. Second half - absolutely cracking game. Is that simply about confidence? 

Ex member of the SaS

This is how we have been asking us to play all season ( I know we have before but this games was excellent ) Well done Utd for making this a fast flowing exciting game and well done Hearts players for getting stuck in and not thinking our season is over! We could easily have not bothered as our position was secure but NO! we went out to win and we did. Play like this in the cup final and we have a great chance of lifting the cup.

1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Ginnelly is an interesting one. First half he was pretty garbage. Off the pace, offsides, poor passes and just not reading the game at all. Second half - absolutely cracking game. Is that simply about confidence? 

I'd say its more about not being match sharp. he's not played much lately.

maroonlegions

Magic support up there yesterday.

i really enjoyed being part of  it. :toasting::flag1:

That fat UTD fan getting it tight was funny as feck. Get yer "t**** out for the lads" was brilliant. :rofl:

Edited by maroonlegions

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This is how we have been asking us to play all season ( I know we have before but this games was excellent ) Well done Utd for making this a fast flowing exciting game and well done Hearts players for getting stuck in and not thinking our season is over! We could easily have not bothered as our position was secure but NO! we went out to win and we did. Play like this in the cup final and we have a great chance of lifting the cup.

I made the rather dull point on this thread yesterday that Dundee Utd seem to really come out against us.

There have been 73 goals in Utd's games this season and over a quarter (20) have come in the 4 games with us.