Syrians and Ukrainians

ri Alban

Both attacked by Russia, but one is welcomed with open arms and the other is shipped to a detention camp in Rwanda. 

So what's the difference? 🤔

To qualify for Rwanda, you'd be best crossing the channel on a dinghy, been subject to economic sanctions and have recent experience of a western-backed bombing campaign.  This would rule most of Ukraine out.

Edited by felix

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Both attacked by Russia, but one is welcomed with open arms and the other is shipped to a detention camp in Rwanda. 

Colour 

JudyJudyJudy
56 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Britain has welcomed Syrians. There is a sizable Syrian population in Glasgow.

Doubt many Syrians were “ welcomed” in the Uk 

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Britain has welcomed Syrians. There is a sizable Syrian population in Glasgow.

At least 5,000 in the UK, OP and the usual suspect talking pish again.

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Colour 

Syrians are considered "white" in many countries including the US. Steve Jobs and Jerry Seinfeld both have Syrian heritage.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Syrians are considered "white" in many countries including the US. Steve Jobs and Jerry Seinfeld both have Syrian heritage.

Not by racists though 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not by racists though 

Or by you, it would appear.

They simply need to open immigration control in France followed by safe passage to prevent the Channel crossings. 

But overall immigration is more open and complicated than the public picture. 

Indefinite leave to remain notably given out freely to people who the public might think shouldn't be allowed to be here. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I am fortunate to meet a large number of Syrian refugees. While obviously longing for a time and place far away, most seem genuinely happy about the welcome they have received.

Cool 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, escobri said:

Wee nippy must have a hoose full by now.

She hasn’t . She’s making room for Ukrainians 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

She hasn’t . She’s making room for Ukrainians 

Getting back to roots with the nazis.

Jambo_jim2001

Mate was livid at dogs getting airlifted out off Afghanistan before people. As far as I'm aware his interpreter and family are still stuck over there.

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, escobri said:

Getting back to roots with the nazis.

?? 

'Illegal migration' is the watchword now.

But most illegal immigration into UK is from places like Pakistan, Bangladesh and China. Through well established routes that somehow aren't stopped. Business in UK is sneaky. 

Not the boat people from Libya, Syria, Afghanistan etc. 

il Duce McTarkin
49 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Bore off 

You should take a dose of your own advice.

Genuine question. Why do they need to cross the channel. France is a safe country, anywhere in Europe is safe. Why make the extra dangerous trip.

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

You should take a dose of your own advice.

278078933_5412916302071905_4525151245163018366_n.jpg

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Genuine question. Why do they need to cross the channel. France is a safe country, anywhere in Europe is safe. Why make the extra dangerous trip.

Nobody has told them the UK is really shit apparently 

22 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Language, family ties, France has previously been criticised for poor conditions for asylum seekers. Safety should be a minimum requirement in 2022 not a highlight.

50 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Language, family ties, France has previously been criticised for poor conditions for asylum seekers. Safety should be a minimum requirement in 2022 not a highlight.

It's not just France though, many have traveled through multiple European countries to enter the UK. 

14 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It's not just France though, many have traveled through multiple European countries to enter the UK. 

Some do and it's a fair question.

The vast majority of refugees are firstly displaced in their own country and then go to the nearest neigbours. 

The numbers who come here are small. And dwarfed into insignificance by the illegals coming from Pakistan, Bangladesh and China to work in the takeaway food  industry. Which no one does anything much to stop aside from the occasional raid.

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's not quite the same .

The conflicts/wars.

Other differences that are noticeable to me are that it's mostly women and children from Ukraine and was mostly young men from Syria.

I base that only on what I've seen on tv.

So happy to be corrected.

4 minutes ago, Ked said:

It's not quite the same .

The conflicts/wars.

Other differences that are noticeable to me are that it's mostly women and children from Ukraine and was mostly young men from Syria.

I base that only on what I've seen on tv.

So happy to be corrected.

Its women and children from Ukraine because men aged 18 to 60 are banned by the Government from leaving. Because they are wanted for the war effort. 

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its women and children from Ukraine because men aged 18 to 60 are banned by the Government from leaving. Because they are wanted for the war effort. 

I get that.

I was answering Albans question as to why attitudes might be different.

"passing through safe nations" is a right wing trope.
It means nothing.

Anyone can claim asylum in any nation they want.

That's international law.

The EU has absolutely no obligation to stop people passing through its territory on the way to the UK (or anywhere else).

None.

The problem is with the UK's internal systems. Decisions on asylum could and should be made much, much faster. Process claims fast, deport those that fail. 
Instead of that, we have a stupidly over-complicated system that takes well over a year to process claims and in the meantime has to put the claimants up in B&Bs and hotels as it hasn't bothered to make any dedicated infrastructure for the purpose of sorting asylum claims. All the while, more claimants are arriving. 

Then any successful claimants are given over to unscrupulous private companies for re-homing.
Due to these companies being more concerned with profit than anything else, they buy up the cheapest housing they can in which to put people. Which, of course, tends to be in the poorest areas of the UK where jobs are scarce and local services are already stretched.
This then gives rise to another right wing trope about "ghettos" and "scroungers" even though the newcomers have no choice about where they are housed and cannot be blamed for the already crap job prospects in those places.

The UK government could and should legislate or just run the housing thing itself in order to allocate the housing and distribution of newcomers in a more sensible manner.

Flying claimants to Rwanda for processing is laughable.
It's pure dog whistle racism aimed at getting Boris out of the current shite he's in.
It won't stop the boats in the channel.

It'll cost hundreds of millions of pounds that could have been spent on fixing the current system so it's more efficient.

All we're doing is paying a nation with a long history of genocide, human rights abuses and who's president is wanted for murder to take our own problems off our hands.

This batshit mental policy will fail in under a year.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Tbh, I think I'd rather go to Rwanda than the UK. This Country is a shitstate of epic proportions. 

No-one is stopping you. I'm sure you would be welcomed.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Probably, and much to the annoyance of some on here, because they see GB as a safe and good place to be. Opportunity to bring family up in comfort and make a new life for themselves.

They aren't workshy and will graft to make a living, unlike some of our own people who want everything for free and are frightened of a hard day's work  

21 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Probably, and much to the annoyance of some on here, because they see GB as a safe and good place to be. Opportunity to bring family up in comfort and make a new life for themselves.

They aren't workshy and will graft to make a living, unlike some of our own people who want everything for free and are frightened of a hard day's work  

And the rest of western Europe isnt safe or good ? 

manaliveits105
5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

And the rest of western Europe isnt safe or good ? 

nope and they don’t have chief mammies 

39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No-one is stopping you. I'm sure you would be welcomed.

I suppose I would as it's not full of utter rockets like yourself. 

:jjyay: