Peter Haring signs new contract (merged threads)

Diadora Van Basten

The White Cockade

I love the big man

Just such a shame he got that long term injury I think

a lot of people have forgotten just how good he was before that 

but even though he’s not quite the same I’d still want to keep him as he’s still very good and has a brilliant attitude

but judging by most reports he’s gone so we have to move on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• wavydavy

• Watt-Zeefuik

• jr ewing

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Just cause you can’t think of anyone better, doesn’t mean there isn’t anyone better. You vastly overrate him in use of the word superb, he’s been very decent and combative, holds his own. But in terms of kicking on and trying to close the gap to the OF, and competing in Europe, better quality than Haring is needed.

I would hope to be getting someone in who has experience of the top level, in a top league or who has played in Europe etc. Haring is a good SPL squaddie but has his limits on where he can take us. Pretty much a laughable statement to even remotely consider him better than Barry Bannan, though as per above, we aren’t getting Bannan. But someone of that ilk?  I 1000% expect Robbie to be in the market for that irrespective of

Harinf staying or going. A Djoum type, experience, athleticism + quality. So that will push Haring 1 rung further down the pecking order. 

He stays, good SPL squaddie but either way i am expecting pedigree in that position

I've not said once that there is no one better than Haring. There probably is, but it won't be easy to find given Haring's qualities, age, experience and the fact he seems relatively happy to be part of the first team lineup on a rotational basis (assuming Cammy and Beni are fit).

I'm definitely not exaggerating how well he has played this season. He has dominated midfield (often by himself) in countless games - hence his post match rating by the vast majority of those in this forum and various media outlets. He has even played well against the old firm when others in our team haven't. If we want to close the gap on the old firm, it's other positions we need to strengthen.

You really seem to rate Barry Bannan, seems odd no other team has picked him up if he's that good. He may be playing well in League 1 at the moment, but he's been at Sheffield Wednesday for 4/5 years - where they would mostly finish lower end of the Championship table or ultimately get relegated. He is 32 years of age, didnt particularly stand out for Sheffield Wednesday until they were relegated to League 1, has never played in Europe as far as I know and hasn't played at the 'top level' for over a decade. So doesn't sound like much of an upgrade on Haring, imo.

Regardless, I agree we should be looking at someone better than both Haring and Bannan, but that should not be mutually exclusive to Haring signing a new contract, he is a very good player.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The argument for finding a replacement is that we found Baningime and Devlin last season, both of whom are upgrades on Big Pete IMO.

It costs to replace him but it also costs to keep him.

Quite like Devlin but so far would not see him as an upgrade on Haring.imo. Different type of player and room for all three at the club.

hearts 4 the cup

Halliday and Devlin are nowhere near hating in terms of ability. 

It’ll be a huge blow to us if we lose him, he’s been immense since coming back into the team earlier this year. Beni has been out best midfielder based on his performances when fit but haring is a close second. There’s quite a big gulf in quality between them two and Devlin!halliday 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

My understanding is we bought out Beni’s contract. £8,000 a week x 52 weeks so £416,000. 
Devlin was an absolute steal, though. 

In an ideal world, Pete stays. Right now his form is better than Devlin’s and he should start the final. 

Both should start IMO. I did say Devlin was an upgrade on Haring but I really should have said that Devlin makes the midfield better than it was with Baningime and Haring together. To me, Beni is our best mid, then Haring, then Devlin, but both of the first two are better with Devlin than they are with each other.

Even if we just get 60 minutes out of Devlin he changes the game for us.

Don't think some see what Haring brings to the team on the park, he's always communicating with others around him and not scared to say what he thinks or take the blame when he makes an error!, he brings so much to the team with his passing and his height and strength!,  going back to the beginning of the season against Celtic he was one of our best players on the night and carried that forward until he dropped out due to the signing of Devlin, not sure how Neilson justified that when Haring had been playing well?!, in my opinion Haring would be an automatic choice and I wonder if we could play Haring, Beni and Devlin together as before his injury Beni was getting into attacking positions and scoring goals! We know what Haring brings to the table and has been one of our top performers week after week since he's been getting regular game time! I'm sure there are many clubs that will be interested in signing him!, one of the few things that I agreed with Levein on when he stated that Haring would be a first choice in any team he put out! I hope that Haring stay's but if he leaves I will wish him all the best for the rest of his career and I will thank him for the memories! 

Fairly convinced the folk downplaying how good Peter Haring is are just lying to themselves so it doesn’t hurt as much if he goes. The guys pure class & we’ve known it since the minute he arrived & bullied a multi-treble winning midfield in his first league game at tynie

Edited by boag1874

5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Both should start IMO. I did say Devlin was an upgrade on Haring but I really should have said that Devlin makes the midfield better than it was with Baningime and Haring together. To me, Beni is our best mid, then Haring, then Devlin, but both of the first two are better with Devlin than they are with each other.

Even if we just get 60 minutes out of Devlin he changes the game for us.

I actually think, the first 20 minutes v Hibs at Tynecastle apart, Haring and Halliday have looked as confident and comfortable as any midfield pairing we’ve had this season and I’d start them on Saturday. 

Maybe play Devlin and Haring from start til Devlin tires or gets booked, then bring Halliday on. Halliday will be trying like a bear (if you pardon the pun!) to impress the whole crowd and I think will contribute a lot. Alternatively, play him first til he gets booked.  

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

I actually think, the first 20 minutes v Hibs at Tynecastle apart, Haring and Halliday have looked as confident and comfortable as any midfield pairing we’ve had this season and I’d start them on Saturday. 

I can't agree. We are a far more dangerous and disruptive team with Devlin in the lineup. He changes everything about the team when he's healthy.

And Haring is good for losing his man in a dangerous run behind at least 2-3 times per game. I am glad we have him for the final but I'd swap him for a healthy Beni in an instant.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Newton51 said:

"We’re speaking with each other and trying to make it happen.

"Hopefully we can get there and see what happens." 

:robboyas:

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

My understanding is we bought out Beni’s contract. £8,000 a week x 52 weeks so £416,000. 
Devlin was an absolute steal, though. 

In an ideal world, Pete stays. Right now his form is better than Devlin’s and he should start the final. 

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Beni where he said he was being let go and not a single club had shown an interest until we came in. I definitely got the impression we'd got him for nothing.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Beni where he said he was being let go and not a single club had shown an interest until we came in. I definitely got the impression we'd got him for nothing.

Maybe £400,000+ was the reason? 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I can't agree. We are a far more dangerous and disruptive team with Devlin in the lineup. He changes everything about the team when he's healthy.

And Haring is good for losing his man in a dangerous run behind at least 2-3 times per game. I am glad we have him for the final but I'd swap him for a healthy Beni in an instant.

No problem with that. Each definitely bring their own strengths and weaknesses to the team. I thought Devlin was awful (twice) at Ibrox against the players he’ll face on Saturday. He wasn’t great on Saturday but I’ll put that down to fitness and the fact he’d probably been told to hold back. The only tackle he put in he looked awkward and came out like he’d hurt himself. 

Batistuta87

Very happy to hear some positive news and I hope we can get this over the line. 

Just want to know though.... Where are all the Hearts Dah's giving it the "HE OWES THE CLUB" etc that Souttar got because we nursed him through long term injuries...?

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Just want to know though.... Where are all the Hearts Dah's giving it the "HE OWES THE CLUB" etc that Souttar got because we nursed him through long term injuries...?

Good point 

22 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Get him signed for the next 3 years ❤️

Definitely! 

Craig Fowler made a decent point on Twitter, that he signed his contract extension when Levein and Budge were issuing high basic contracts. It’s possible that this is a sticking point 😬 Hopefully something can be sorted. I think playing in Europe is an experience a lot of players miss out on, and it would be a shame if he and the team missed out on that because a deal couldn’t get done. 

Would be great if Haring stays.  He's a massive part of our squad.   The stronger the squad the better chance we have of success.   If we can add another bit of quality in the summer to the middle of the park then the competition for midfield will be fantastic next season.   I am really excited to see how Devlin develops next season.  His energy and passion is second to none and if he adds a little composure when he's on the ball then he's going to be a diamond for us.  

PhoenixHearts
On 15/05/2022 at 11:57, Fort Vallance said:

I'd like to keep him but as other's have said he's not irreplaceable and we've done without him before. If he wants to go home and his family want to go that's completely understandable. If it's a football decision and he thinks he's going to get a bigger club than us I think he might be disappointed. As other's before him have found out.

Aye... we got relegated.

PhoenixHearts
18 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

I don’t get the Haring love in…ok he’s decent but surely we can attract better in the summer.

Why does almost every single "negative" comment on Haring I've read on Kickback include the phrase "love in".

Ctrl+F it. It's like a cliche at this point. 

Just a funny observation.

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Why does almost every single "negative" comment on Haring I've read on Kickback include the phrase "love in".

Jealousy. A good chunk of the comments are about how much of a big handsome ******* he is :D 

BackOfTheNet
3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Never really got the “he owes the club” thing. For me with Souttar it was less to do with him moving on (expected at some point) it was more to do with moving to them. But I suppose to answer the original point, if people are contradictory it might be because we got no money for Souttar when if he had signed an extension we almost certainly would have at some point (if he carried on his form and given his age). Where with Haring at his age we’re never going to make money from him.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Batistuta87
26 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Never really got the “he owes the club” thing. For me with Souttar it was less to do with him moving on (expected at some point) it was more to do with moving to them. But I suppose to answer the original point, if people are contradictory it might be because we got no money for Souttar when if he had signed an extension we almost certainly would have at some point (if he carried on his form and given his age). Where with Haring at his age we’re never going to make money from him.

Nah you've mentioned the reason there - its because he signed for Rangers. Had he gone anywhere else - i.e. down south, abroad, or taken his chances as a free agent, he wouldn't have seen the same backlash. 

If Haring had also signed for Rangers he'd be getting pelters too.

A very fickle support we can be at times. 

BackOfTheNet
25 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nah you've mentioned the reason there - its because he signed for Rangers. Had he gone anywhere else - i.e. down south, abroad, or taken his chances as a free agent, he wouldn't have seen the same backlash. 

Fickle in a sense, yes, but it’s actually understandable to be honest. It’s not just leaving to a team in the same league of even go a rival. It’s enabling the continuation of the gulf between the OF and the rest of us. At least if they pay millions you can argue some compensation for the disparity becoming wider, but we get zilch from this. I guess the player gets pelters because they know fine we’ll that’s the case too. But we still even now don’t know the full context of the move.

28 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Exactly this reason. Our fans would have accepted a move South or abroad much more than along the M8.

Saint Jambo

I'll be happy enough if he stays. A useful squad player. But nothing more for me.

His awareness isn't great and his natural inclination is always to go backwards. He spends a lot of the game loudly demanding the ball from the defence but isn't good enough to do anything much with it most of the time. At on point against Rangers he gained possession of the ball with space ahead of him and a rangers player behind him. In his desire to go backwards he turned back into the Rangers player with no awareness he was there and lost possession.

Against the Old Firm he has been positionally really poor out of possession. Stuck in no man's land. No mobile enough to close down the player with the ball. Not disciplined enough to hold back. The result has been players either carrying the ball deep unchallenged or passing around us. While against other teams his defensive work is better but he is too slow in possession leading to our whole play being slow.

Not a bad player for our standard. But there is a reason he is a bench player when everyone is fit 

Berra than you
12 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'll be happy enough if he stays. A useful squad player. But nothing more for me.

His awareness isn't great and his natural inclination is always to go backwards. He spends a lot of the game loudly demanding the ball from the defence but isn't good enough to do anything much with it most of the time. At on point against Rangers he gained possession of the ball with space ahead of him and a rangers player behind him. In his desire to go backwards he turned back into the Rangers player with no awareness he was there and lost possession.

Against the Old Firm he has been positionally really poor out of possession. Stuck in no man's land. No mobile enough to close down the player with the ball. Not disciplined enough to hold back. The result has been players either carrying the ball deep unchallenged or passing around us. While against other teams his defensive work is better but he is too slow in possession leading to our whole play being slow.

Not a bad player for our standard. But there is a reason he is a bench player when everyone is fit 

Wouldn't agree with this. Perhaps that could have been the case on Saturday, but he was by far out best player at Parkhead a few weeks ago, and changed the game in our favour against Celtic on the first game of the season. 

All about opinions, personally think we have looked a much better side this season when he's been on the park.

43 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Midfielder Peter Haring says he is eager to remain a Hearts player as talks continue over a new contract. (Edinburgh Evening News)

That's good news. I was undecided earlier in the season but I think he's had enough good performances since then to merit a new deal. hope it gets done. 

BackOfTheNet
44 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

See, this is interesting as I think out of Haring, Devlin and Baningime that Haring actually is the most forward thinking player and often takes the ball from the defence and past the halfway line and passes forward. Loves a channel pass or through ball too. In fact out of the three I think he’s the best passer of the ball too.

6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

See, this is interesting as I think out of Haring, Devlin and Baningime that Haring actually is the most forward thinking player and often takes the ball from the defence and past the halfway line and passes forward. Loves a channel pass or through ball too. In fact out of the three I think he’s the best passer of the ball too.

We also have to take into account what Robbie is asking them to do in terms of getting forward.

33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That's good news. I was undecided earlier in the season but I think he's had enough good performances since then to merit a new deal. hope it gets done. 

He knows the team and what is expected and he is a useful squad player to have around.

Surely folk aren't suggesting that Haring 'owes the club' something for paying him while injured?  Other than meeting contractual obligations, playing him in a Cup Final against Celtic when he was already injured and taking injections probably didn't help his cause at the time.

I, for one, will be delighted if the big fella signs a new contract.

Saint Jambo
56 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Wouldn't agree with this. Perhaps that could have been the case on Saturday, but he was by far out best player at Parkhead a few weeks ago, and changed the game in our favour against Celtic on the first game of the season. 

All about opinions, personally think we have looked a much better side this season when he's been on the park.

To be fair, I didn't see that much of the away games against the OF this season. The two home games against Rangers and the second home game against Celtic are the ones that really stick in my mind. Especially the second game against Celtic where he didn't get a sniff of the ball in the first half and spent most of the time shouting at team mates.

Around the same time, the 0-0 with Livi in the cup and the defeat by Dundee at home stick out as examples of poor games against lower quality opposition when I felt nothing came off 

Hopefully there is still more to come and he can get back to the levels pre-injury when I thought he was much more dynamic, effective and forward thinking.

kingantti1874
24 minutes ago, Haken said:

Surely folk aren't suggesting that Haring 'owes the club' something for paying him while injured?  Other than meeting contractual obligations, playing him in a Cup Final against Celtic when he was already injured and taking injections probably didn't help his cause at the time.

I, for one, will be delighted if the big fella signs a new contract.

will be delighted. 

BackOfTheNet
34 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We also have to take into account what Robbie is asking them to do in terms of getting forward.

Also true. I mean I watch McKay hang outside the box when we need players busting a gut to get in when we have the ball out at the wings and it doesn’t seem natural for him not to want to attack and have suspected that maybe he’s been advised not to protect against counter attacks or something.

Absolute Scenes
4 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

not sure about a "love-in" but i'm certainly "in love" with Petey

13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Also true. I mean I watch McKay hang outside the box when we need players busting a gut to get in when we have the ball out at the wings and it doesn’t seem natural for him not to want to attack and have suspected that maybe he’s been advised not to protect against counter attacks or something.

Quite possible.

AlphonseCapone

I like big Pete and hope he stays. At a minimum he offers great competition for places and seems like the sort of guy that will be popular in the changing room. 

Fxxx the SPFL

it's possibly contract length he may want shorter/longer who knows as long as he signs and gets a crack at Europa Leage.

BRAVEHEART1874

Hope he signs, has been playing well and now hopefully back scoring a few.

His height advantage in midfield and some of his passing would be missed.  

We need more players of his calibre and skill in our team. It’s a no brainer to get him signed( I hope he wants too!) 

3 hours ago, pointon said:

Get on with Heart announce Haring 🎤

I wasn’t there but seemingly the chat last night was that an announcement re new contract would happen soon 

• davemclaren changed the title to Peter Haring signs new contract (merged threads)