Dublin stag do

feedtheroman2

feedtheroman2

Anyone ever been to Dublin for a stag do or a messy weekend?

If so, any tips/places to go/avoid?

I've got mine coming up soon. Excited but nervous!

9 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Horrendously Massively Expensive when I was last there just before lockdown, but a good place to party if the price doesn’t matter much to you 

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Horrendously Massively Expensive when I was last there just before lockdown, but a good place to party if the price doesn’t matter much to you 

Is it not the case that if you head slightly off the main street then prices are a good bit lower?

I know that when I went over 20 years ago it was cheaper to do the Guinness Brewery tour with my student discount with a free pint included at the end than to buy a pint in the pub.

We did the tour more than once.....😁

Actually might have been two free pints at the end come to think of it.

Edited by Der Kaiser

John Findlay
37 minutes ago, Barack said:

It's what you make it. If you're bothered about price, you'd not be going in the first place, imo.

I've been to Stockhölm on a stag weekend, for instance.  Expensive...Christ yes!

But the women... :sweeet:

Made it all worthwhile.

Oh hell yes. I remember paying £54 for nine pints in Gothenburg, and that was a way back in 1985.

If there are better looking women in the world than those in Sweden, I have yet to meet them.

manaliveits105

Harcourt Hotel is a great place to stay fantastic beer garden  and has its own night club plus there are two night clubs right opposite 

20 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

I'm a middle-aged saddo, so I'm no use for recommendations for anything other than pubs and restaurants.  I'll check in with my son and get back to you.  Also, it all depends on what you like.

If you want a nightclub, try Copper's (Copper Face Jacks).  It'll never win any awards, and rightly so, but everybody goes there at least once.  People from counties outside Dublin use it as a venue to pull other people from counties outside Dublin, which I believe is a popular pastime with the young folk nowadays.

Pubs? 

The Black Sheep, Capel St (craft beers)

Pipers Corner, Marlborough St (craft beers and Irish music)

Whelans, Wexford St (gig venue)

The Long Hall, George's St (stout and atmosphere)

Porterhouse Temple Bar, Parliament St (craft beers)

The Brazen Head (bit out of the centre, oldest pub in Dublin)

57 The Headline (also out of the centre, craft beer and gin)

Mulligan's, Poolbeg St (stout and atmosphere)

O'Neills, Pearse St (stout and atmosphere)

Doheny & Nesbitt, Baggot St (range of beers, old-fashioned place, but busy)

J. O'Connell, Sth Richmond St (stout and atmosphere, but a wee bit out of town)

Someone already mentioned FXB's for a steak (they're also my local butcher).  They have a couple of branches around town.  There's one in Pembroke St, and another really good place across the road called Matt The Thresher.  If you like Greek, my favourite is Corfu on Parliament St.  For Indian, there's Monty's of Kathmandu on Eustace St in Temple Bar (Nepalese, to be completely accurate).  For Chinese, you could try the Good World Café on George's St, or the Good World Hong Kong Café on Westmoreland St.

Avoid anywhere with Celt or Celtic in its name, or anywhere to eat or drink covered in lots of shamrocks or lots of green.  But of course you knew that already.  :laugh:

9 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Harcourt Hotel is a great place to stay fantastic beer garden  and has its own night club plus there are two night clubs right opposite 

Also: near Coppers.  :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Dublin is a fine city. I loved it when I went for a long weekend

**** me but it's expensive! :eek: :laugh:

manaliveits105
26 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Also: near Coppers.  :biggrin:

Ah Copperface Jacks - Thursday was nurses night 😍

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Ah Copperface Jacks - Thursday was nurses night 😍

You know you're in Coppers when you hear the DJ doing shoutouts to "the psychiatric nurses!"  :laugh:

manaliveits105

Love Davy Byrnes too maybe not the place for a rowdy stag but worth a visit especially for their hangover curing Irish stew 

I’m sure it was mentioned in some book :look:

Little bit off the beaten track but The ginger man on Fenian street is a class wee place, with great beer.

8 hours ago, cheetah said:

Little bit off the beaten track but The ginger man on Fenian street is a class wee place, with great beer.

Good choice of beers, and it's also close to Kennedy's on the corner of Westland Row and Lincoln Place.

14 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Love Davy Byrnes too maybe not the place for a rowdy stag but worth a visit especially for their hangover curing Irish stew 

It and McDaid's nearby are quite good.  Try also: Neary's of Chatham Street in the same part of town.

On 03/04/2022 at 04:37, manaliveits105 said:

Not much of a reader meself.  :whistling:

The Republic is just expensive as ****. Went down for a weekend with the missus, and it was an eye opener compared to Northern Ireland. 

We stayed in the Hyatt Centric ( https://uk.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?hotelId=1175237856 ) which was about £380 for 2 nights over the weekend, which I've been assured was an absolute steal by people who live down that way.  Great location, about 15 minutes walk tops from the centre, and right on a couple of bus routes if you can't be arsed. The restaurant in the hotel was superb, and very well priced, especially for down there. The room itself was very nice, spacious and with all the things you would expect it to have, even if the bed was more on the firm side of the scale. 

Pubs were expensive enough to shock you into just having one or two, so a boozy weekend away it was not.  Even getting beers in Tesco to take back to the hotel was expensive :lol:

Really enjoyed it though, will be organising another wee trip down there, especially as it's only about a 2 hour drive for us.  

Edited by tian447