I actually hate politicians

ri Alban

I hope one day I will respect Politicians the same way I do Firefighters and our military. Well I actually more than respect our FF and Military, so they'd better be special.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Ked

• Alex Kintner

• joondalupjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo_jim2001
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I hope one day I will respect Politicians the same way I do Firefighters and our military. Well I actually more than respect our FF and Military, so they'd better be special.

Like a uniform ri ?🤔 Local MP helped me out years ago,I said to my auld man how good he was,the auld man said" that's what he's paid for son,and very well at that!" Kinda summed it up for me.

2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Like a uniform ri ?🤔 Local MP helped me out years ago,I said to my auld man how good he was,the auld man said" that's what he's paid for son,and very well at that!" Kinda summed it up for me.

What they do for us, is what I like, bud.  👍

Салатные палочки

I think some of the local politicians have a lot of time for their constituents and I'll usually reward them with a vote. Whether that actually means anything to them and whether that's a means to an end for them is another thing. For example, our local Labour MP is helping us on an ongoing basis with something and she has been very proactive in it so she'll get my vote. I've generally been a Labour voter down the years anyway so it suits me but they're a bit of a joke these days. I'm hopeful they'll get their finger out and come back strong though. 

However, those in the Scottish Parliament and the House of Commons I have not a lot of time for at all. There's so much lying and sleaze involved in it all that it's hard to even take them seriously. 

joondalupjambo
26 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

What makes her different from the rest? I've not heard about her since she went down there.

2019 big win locally in Paisley meant she had trust.  She is also a huge critic of Westminster structure so to go down there and try to make a difference against all the odds is brave because she could have stayed local like so many lame duck MSP's.  She may fail and get sucked under by the system but at 25 good on her for at least trying.  Hard to be always on the front foot when part of a systematic opposition in the big hoose.  Hope she learns, gets experience and comes back up into the SP at some point to add some value to our country moving forward. So in summary young, brave, trying to do things from the inside, smart and taking chance to learn.  Others want careers in politics to make money and stay on the gravy train.  Hopefully not her.

joondalupjambo
42 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Basically people have to lump all politicians together as scum to avoid having to admit that the tories are in a class of their own

Oh they are in a class of their own alright😄

18 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

2019 big win locally in Paisley meant she had trust.  She is also a huge critic of Westminster structure so to go down there and try to make a difference against all the odds is brave because she could have stayed local like so many lame duck MSP's.  She may fail and get sucked under by the system but at 25 good on her for at least trying.  Hard to be always on the front foot when part of a systematic opposition in the big hoose.  Hope she learns, gets experience and comes back up into the SP at some point to add some value to our country moving forward. So in summary young, brave, trying to do things from the inside, smart and taking chance to learn.  Others want careers in politics to make money and stay on the gravy train.  Hopefully not her.

There's lots critics on here of Westminster but that doesn't make you a politician, What has she done to make herself different?

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

There's lots critics on here of Westminster but that doesn't make you a politician, What has she done to make herself different?

Nothing obviously.

You win👍

Nucky Thompson

I'll always vote for the SNP's closest rival. I have no interest in who they are politically and politicians are all twats.

I never used to have any interest in politics whatsoever until my anger at the way the twnats run Scotland took over.

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

There's always a preferable option to the tories. Therefore I will always vote.

Only reason I voted ‘yes’ in the referendum, was because I felt a ‘no’ vote would be a vote for the tories.

It’ll be a cold day in hell before I vote for those *****!

3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Nothing obviously.

You win👍

You obviously can't come up with anything so resorted to sarcasm.

4 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Mentioned this before,seemingly a great read 

download.jpeg

Thanks. I’ll check that one

1 hour ago, Herbert. said:

You obviously can't come up with anything so resorted to sarcasm.

Google some of her speeches in Westminster, they are brilliant

It’s not difficult to “hate” politicians especially if they don’t represent your political views. What makes it worse though is they don’t tell the truth, ever. Johnson or Sturgeon or Starmer say something which is wrong or untruthful the next thing you know is they wheel out deflectors and appeaser to try and change the bleeding obvious. They have the acidity to think we (well most of us) take their weasel words as facts. 

4 hours ago, XB52 said:

Google some of her speeches in Westminster, they are brilliant

Again what has she actually done? Talk is cheap.

15 hours ago, XB52 said:

Basically people have to lump all politicians together as scum to avoid having to admit that the tories are in a class of their own

Some of the views on here if repeated nationwide will be music to the ears of this sitting government. 

Why bother voting, let's just carry on as before meaning an absolutely corrupt and useless government can behave as they like for evermore. 

They are not all the same I doubt very much whether KS or JC or any of the shadow cabinet would have behaved in the manner of this Tory leadership. 

How can a party who have been out of power for many years be judged to be just as bad as this bunch of privileged Toffs who are holding power at the moment ? 

This attitude of it doesn't matter, don't bother voting is wrong. 

There are many Nations around the World that would love the political choices that we have. 

I have more time for people with different political views than I do for the ALL THE SAME DONT VOTE  mob. 

Think about what you are saying especially in the current political climate. 

Lord Montpelier
5 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Again what has she actually done? Talk is cheap.

The answer, as everyone knows, is not a lot of substance. Quite a bit of virtue signalling though tbf

28 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The answer, as everyone knows, is not a lot of substance. Quite a bit of virtue signalling though tbf

She's a quick learner then. 

We need a total revamp of the political system. Make it voluntary and yearly elections, If you get found out for lying your out for life.

Nothing worse than an English, Westminster politician being asked a question then replying:

"Well, I think the real question is..."

Or the even more infuriating:

"WelI, I think what you are really asking is...".

Drives me nuts in a shouting and swearing at the telly sort of way.

I hate Westminster and can't, and never will, accept that Scotland is ruled from there. Holyrood, whilst not perfect, is a far more modern, progressive and, yes, honest set up, than down south.

"If voting changed anything, politicians would abolish it".

I don't know who said it but it sums up Westminster for me.

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Nothing worse than an English, Westminster politician being asked a question then replying:

I hate Westminster and can't, and never will, accept that Scotland is ruled from there. Holyrood, whilst not perfect, is a far more modern, progressive and, yes, honest set up, than down south.

Think honest is the last thing you could describe holyrood as. 

1 minute ago, Herbert. said:

Think honest is the last thing you could describe holyrood as. 

More honest than Westminster, Herb.

The voting system certainly is. PR, for instance, immediately sets holyrood apart from that parliament down south.

1 hour ago, martoon said:

More honest than Westminster, Herb.

The voting system certainly is. PR, for instance, immediately sets holyrood apart from that parliament down south.

It wasn't that long ago sturgeon was caught telling quite alot of fibs. They are all at it, English,  Scottish, Welsh whatever  we need someone like Trump. 

A Boy Named Crow
22 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Don't hate meditate 

EDIT Was going to take this down when I realised I'd misread your post... but nah, the song deserves to stay!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Lone Striker

I tend to agree with the point @luckydug made - however I suspect most of the posters on this thread are really moaning about the party system more than "all politicians".   

Although some independant or single issue candidates appear on the ballot paper, they hardly ever come close to being elected - thats largely down to us.    We feel its a wasted vote, so even if we have sympathy for their views, we ignore them and vote for one of the big parties instead even if its just to stop another big party we don't like getting in.  Your constituency winner then just becomes a "+1" number in the race for an overall majority for that party and for winning subsequent votes on Bills.   Then we moan about all politicians being hopeless and just  in it for themselves.  And round we go again.    

There are a lot of MPs and MSPs who do have relevant experience in the real world, but they usually just become voting fodder for the PM or FM

I'd like to see a part-time "alternative parliament" set up - a bit like the Youth parliament, but made up purely of adult candidates with lots of recent real world experience, but no political affiliation.  Its purpose would be to  debate and agree on a few  real life  improvement measures  which Holyrood  MSPs would be obliged  to debate and vote on in a totally free vote - no penalty for an MSP  not adhering to his party leaders viewpoint.     Candidates from backgrounds such as social care, NHS, police, firefighters, foodbanks, environmental organisations, employment agencies, education, animal welfare, farming etc. - just ordinary folk who are not handcuffed by party politics, but who can work together to come up with issues which need addressing and their suggestions on what to do about them.

If Holyrood then voted their proposed Bill down,  I think that would shine an embarrassing light on a few MSPs for the public to see.

JudyJudyJudy

If any of them come to mr door during the council election run up , ill Ask Them what  a woman is ? If the answer that honestly they’ll get my vote 

21 hours ago, redjambo said:

Aye, but that was before we had a global pandemic to take away our attentions. I would be fine with 2024, but it seems that Sturgeon is going ahead with 2023 anyway so you should be happy enough.

How exactly is Sturgeon going ahead with it? She needs Westminster's permission, which won't be given.

Have you seen the latest polls on what the SG's priorities should be and when people would like another referendum?

Even after Brexit and the balloon that is Boris as PM, support for Independence can't even break 50%.

It's just not happening.

59 minutes ago, pablo said:

How exactly is Sturgeon going ahead with it? She needs Westminster's permission, which won't be given.

Have you seen the latest polls on what the SG's priorities should be and when people would like another referendum?

Even after Brexit and the balloon that is Boris as PM, support for Independence can't even break 50%.

It's just not happening.

Going ahead with it, as in:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/sturgeon-reiterates-2023-timeline-for-scottish-independence-referendum-3604710

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19919585.snp-greens-draw-joint-independence-plans-2023-referendum/

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, pablo said:

It's just not happening.

aye ah Ken :greggy:

55 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But it's not within her gift to decide. That means nothing. There will be no new referendum on it. She's playing you. 

1 hour ago, pablo said:

But it's not within her gift to decide. That means nothing. There will be no new referendum on it. She's playing you. 

Playing me? All I did in my post was confirmed to ri that recent news articles indicated that Sturgeon appeared to be going ahead with her intention to have the referendum in 2023. That's it. What's that old saying about the ability to start an argument in an empty house? :D

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Playing me? All I did in my post was confirmed to ri that recent news articles indicated that Sturgeon appeared to be going ahead with her intention to have the referendum in 2023. That's it. What's that old saying about the ability to start an argument in an empty house? :D

2nd ref, and wheres the money coming from for that, never happen.

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

You're getting taxed more

9 hours ago, martoon said:

"I know what you're trying to get me to say, but what people really want to hear is ****in blah blah blah"

10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Hardly bank busting Hazza. Maybe ask the Tories at WM where the money will come from to pay off the money they gave to their mates during the Pandemic. 👍

Ainsley Harriott
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Probably a combination of us being the highest taxed part of the UK and the covid relief money they sat on instead of distributing to businesses.

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Probably a combination of us being the highest taxed part of the UK and the covid relief money they sat on instead of distributing to businesses.

They could give it the poor rather than squander it on a neverendum 

Shadow chancellor on bbc this morning moaning about Rishis spring statement - was repeatedly asked by Sophie at what level would the labour party have set pensions benefits etc then ? - wouldnt/couldn't answer and its the same with SG moan moan moan but actually have no alternatives other than a leap in the dark and 10 years austerity of indy.

Ainsley Harriott
48 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

They could give it the poor rather than squander it on a neverendum 

Shadow chancellor on bbc this morning moaning about Rishis spring statement - was repeatedly asked by Sophie at what level would the labour party have set pensions benefits etc then ? - wouldnt/couldn't answer and its the same with SG moan moan moan but actually have no alternatives other than a leap in the dark and 10 years austerity of indy.

They could stop taxing people who earn moderate salaries 40%

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, pablo said:

B0818C89-306F-4392-8F40-750E8B506B58.jpeg

Alex Kintner

Fed up with all the lying in politics. It comes from all angles and virtually everybody, especially the voters. It used to be that people tried to win votes or promote their politics through facts or debate. Now, thanks mostly to the internet and social media, we’re bombarded by fake news and huge exaggerations and you have to wade through all the nonsense to find something genuine. James’ post above is a good example but supporters of all parties do it.

Said this before but wish we had a huge, independent, official fact-finding organisation which immediately flagged up misinformation, mistruths or lies online whether they are done by Joe Public or Joe Biden.

👍🏻

Edited by Alex Kintner

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

They could stop taxing people who earn moderate salaries 40%

It's also worth noting that higher tax usually means less revenue.

On 25/03/2022 at 12:36, indianajones said:

The leadership in all countries on these islands is nothing short of embarrassing. 

Mostly an SNP voter in my adult life. They have lost that vote. Like you i am starting to feel like its a waste of my time going to the polling station. 

SNP have lost me too and I've always voted for them. 

The mess the council have made of the city is embarrassing. road works everywhere, this places for people nonsense (the cyclist crap), yellow lines everywhere as some sort of cynical cash grab and then the council tax creeping up too, right when cost for living is rocketing. 

I don't think I can forgive Sturgeon for patching the national energy provider either. That was such a great idea and could have made a real difference in peoples lives. Now our energy bills are doubling totally unchecked and fuel poverty this coming winter will kill people. The greens justification for not backing it was mind boggling.

I know for a lot of people Salmond is yesterdays man etc. but I'm liking what Alba are coming out with - 5 point plan to tackle child poverty for example the practical benefits of it seem pretty clear and common sense based, and I'm struggling to see how it can be argued that Sturgeon has done anything else but stall/fail to progress independence. The same questions in 2014 that lost the referendum haven't been answered yet and they've had 7 years to build on that and done nothing. The Wee Blue book being released will provide an updated prospectus on independence and the simple question is, if a 2023 Referendum is to happen, why are Alba being the ones to do the work on actually talking about Independence and developing the ideas around it? Going back to energy, especially with renewables, Alba want partial public ownership of this which would help in driving costs down for everyday people. Its like Sturgeon is selling the family silver with little regard to actually making life better for people that need it most. It requires the political will to do these things and I don't think the SNP have the appetite for it. 

https://www.albaparty.org/where_we_stand

Worth a wee read, even if you don't agree with it all. 

--

Not intending on starting an Independence discussion just highlighting that there is potential for another pro-independence party to emerge and challenge the status quo - perhaps also refocusing minds in the process. 

4 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Fed up with all the lying in politics. It comes from all angles and virtually everybody, especially the voters. It used to be that people tried to win votes or promote their politics through facts or debate. Now, thanks mostly to the internet and social media, we’re bombarded by fake news and huge exaggerations and you have to wade through all the nonsense to find something genuine. James’ post above is a good example but supporters of all parties do it.

Said this before but wish we had a huge, independent, official fact-finding organisation which immediately flagged up misinformation, mistruths or lies online whether they are done by Joe Public or Joe Biden.

👍🏻

Apart from the money stuffed down the couch what's fake about it?

Being lazy and cant be bothered to look for myself.

22 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

If any of them come to mr door during the council election run up , ill Ask Them what  a woman is ? If the answer that honestly they’ll get my vote 

You wont be voting labour then.

Starmer said a transgender woman is a woman.

Unless his honesty will grab your vote.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Ked said:

Apart from the money stuffed down the couch what's fake about it?

Being lazy and cant be bothered to look for myself.

Audit Scotland didn’t say £5bn pounds is missing. I mean look at the (rightful) furore over £500k going missing and the subsequent coverage and headlines. Can you imagine if a figure of money a thousand times bigger than that went missing! 

3 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Audit Scotland didn’t say £5bn pounds is missing. I mean look at the (rightful) furore over £500k going missing and the subsequent coverage and headlines. Can you imagine if a figure of money a thousand times bigger than that went missing! 

Just did a quick check.

They couldnt identify where it had been spent.

Secrecy and shoddy accounts from the SG.

Was a quick check though .

Have you a link to disprove that.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Ked said:

Just did a quick check.

They couldnt identify where it had been spent.

Secrecy and shoddy accounts from the SG.

Was a quick check though .

Have you a link to disprove that.

“The Audit Scotland report found:

• The Scottish government does not have an analysis of the total amounts paid out to different sectors
  • For sector specific funding administered by national organisations, such as Scottish Enterprise, about 20% of payments cannot currently be matched to council areas 
  • And information to enable wider analysis of how funding supported specific groups, such as female-owned businesses, is not available from centrally held data.”

So 20% can’t be matched up based on central records and they’re going to have to cross-reference with local authority records.

It’s piss poor record management and I said as much on another another thread. It’s a million miles from £5bn being ‘going missing’ though.

1 minute ago, Alex Kintner said:

“The Audit Scotland report found:

• The Scottish government does not have an analysis of the total amounts paid out to different sectors
  • For sector specific funding administered by national organisations, such as Scottish Enterprise, about 20% of payments cannot currently be matched to council areas 
  • And information to enable wider analysis of how funding supported specific groups, such as female-owned businesses, is not available from centrally held data.”

So 20% can’t be matched up based on central records and they’re going to have to cross-reference with local authority records.

It’s piss poor record management and I said as much on another another thread. It’s a million miles from £5bn being ‘going missing’ though.

Still leaves 1 billion though.