Favourite Restaurant's , Edinburgh and beyond

Howdy Doody Jambo

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Cal Pep in Barcelona.

Angels in Seville.

Los Naranjas in Marbella.

Had a bite to eat and a jug of sangria there last month, beautiful location despite there not being a single naranja on the many naranja trees in the square.

Weakened Offender

The Herringbone in Goldenacre was excellent last time I visited. 

First Coast in Gorgie is a great shout. 

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Had a bite to eat and a jug of sangria there last month, beautiful location despite there not being a single naranja on the many naranja trees in the square.

Where did you stay in Marbella, Graygo?

We’ve stayed in various places, one of them in which we got our place burgled within hours of getting there.  :sad: 

I take it you went to Puerto Banus for a pint or three?  Sinatra’s?

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Used to really like Charwood, but the last couple of times we’ve been have been a bit of a disappointment.

Oh aye, I’m just along the road now, so I can see myself spending a few sunny afternoons there.

Funny you should say that - my pal said exactly the same last year about a dish he normally loves.   He reckons it was probably down to them having to bring in agency chefs and waiters to cover for Covid absences. Anyway he said the last meal we had there (December) was back to the usual high standard.   

The manager was a nice energetic & efficient   French chap who chatted to us about fishing and football.  We made sure he understood that Edinburgh has only 1 team worth watching  :jj:

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

We’ve stayed in various places, one of them in which we got our place burgled within hours of getting there.  :sad: 

We were only in Marbella for the day, we were actually staying in Fuengirola, didn't get to PB this time but have been before. 👍

Off to your country of residence in a couple of weeks. 

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Is Sinatra's the bar at the corner of the marina with the balcony area above? If so, was there a few times several years ago. 

Say What Again
15 hours ago, OBE said:

Malvarosa in Porty & Dominicos in Leith, small eateries, fantastic food and service...

Both great picks.

Dominco's does a great takeaway lunch as well. How they get all that filling on the wraps/panini's... 🤤

Buenos Aires in Musselburgh. Best steak I've eaten.

Wonder if there's a restaurant in Buenos Aires called Musselburgh?

12 minutes ago, Locky said:

Buenos Aires in Musselburgh. Best steak I've eaten.

Wonder if there's a restaurant in Buenos Aires called Musselburgh?

Not Mussy but, The Honest Spoon...:biggrin:

10 minutes ago, OBE said:

Not Mussy but, The Honest Spoon...:biggrin:

How's there not a dessert place in Mussy called that already? :lol: 

A Boy Named Crow

Bon Vin in Darlinghurst,  Sydney. A French restaurant that only offers a handful of dishes  (all of them excellent) as there's only only one chef.  The ambience and food are cracking...but the wine,  now that's next level stuff!

If you're ever over this way, I'd highly recommend. 

6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is Sinatra's the bar at the corner of the marina with the balcony area above? If so, was there a few times several years ago. 

No, that's Salduba bar, it's next door to Sinatra's.

Auld Reekin'

Most of my favourite restaurants in Edinburgh are no more and I'm a bit out of touch with the newer ones as I don't live there any more. That said, I've always had great food at First Coast.

Elsewhere:

The Caddy Mann near Jedburgh.

Mavi & Audela in Berwick Upon Tweed.

The Ship Inn, Low Newton By the Sea, Northumberland.

Brauhaus Georgbrau, Berlin.

Belanche, Zaragoza.

Los Cazadores, Ronda.

Restaurant Cortijo de Pepe, Málaga.

A Cisterna, Alcantarilha, Algarve.

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Just walked past it and thought it sounded interesting enough to visit in the next couple of days. What do you recommend?

All about the pizzas. Proper wood fired oven and an award winning pizzaiola. Good beer too. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

No, that's Salduba bar, it's next door to Sinatra's.

👍 

Simon Jordan was a regular at the time I was there. I think his yacht was moored outside. 😄

Did you frequent to the places one street back from there? Night and day from the marina. Almost resembled Rose St! 😄

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Moulin hotel, Pitlochry, good beer and food, been there many times but last time was 4 years ago.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Simon Jordan was a regular at the time I was there. I think his yacht was moored outside. 😄

Did you frequent to the places one street back from there? Night and day from the marina. Almost resembled Rose St! 😄

I did indeed.

There was a sports bar (up a big flight of stairs) that we watched some World Cup games in, one trip.

The funny thing was, there was only one Tapas bar in Puerto Banus, a brilliant wee place called La Tasca.  It's now a feckin leather shop selling handbags, purses and shoes.  :sad: 

PB was good for a quick few pints and then a taxi back to Marbella for some real food.

Did you stay in Marbella, Sam?  

No Idle Talk

Two of my favourite restaurants no longer exist, sadly. The Gandhi at the top of Leith Walk and Bar Roma at the west end. I especially miss The Gandhi. Loved that place.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

I did indeed.

There was a sports bar (up a big flight of stairs) that we watched some World Cup games in, one trip.

The funny thing was, there was only one Tapas bar in Puerto Banus, a brilliant wee place called La Tasca.  It's now a feckin leather shop selling handbags, purses and shoes.  :sad: 

PB was good for a quick few pints and then a taxi back to Marbella for some real food.

Did you stay in Marbella, Sam?  

Hi Morgan. 

Not in Marbella. On three visits, two were in the vicinity of Banus - Gran Hotel Guadalpin and Melia Marbella Banus. The other was a residential area away from the coast called Aloha - about a 5-10 minute drive down to Puerto Banus. 

The places I recall were Habana Hemingway, Port Side and of course, Linekers! Last visit was 2009.Drinks were not cheap then so no idea what scale they've reached now! 

On 24/03/2022 at 12:42, jb102 said:

The Rod and Line, Tideford.

Campo Tiro do Pinhal,Pêra

Treehouse, Soufriere

Quick n Plenty and The Three Coins, Tollcross

Balthazar,Covent Garden

Three Coins... used to be breakfast and lunch there back in the day... late 80s did a cracking bacon roll/toastie/baked spud.

1 hour ago, mrcrisps said:

Three Coins... used to be breakfast and lunch there back in the day... late 80s did a cracking bacon roll/toastie/baked spud.

Wee bit earlier for me.

Space invaders next door and a haircut at Bob's.

IThe best restaurant I've ever been to was about 9 years ago and Steirereck in Vienna.

Food was incredible but the highlight,  which shows how uncouth a 'foodie' I am was that they had a bread trolley. Not your usual 1 or 2 choices of bread but about 20 odd.

Guy was reeling through them all, "we have Olive, Chorizo, Black Pudding...." 

"Whoa, wait, Black Pudding? I'll have that please, in fact can I have 2 slices and feel free to keep passing by this table".

Price was eye watering but the things you do pre marriage and kids an have some spare cash.

In Edinburgh liked Timberyard a few years ago and locally the Espy in Porty is great for burgers.

When one of my mates comes back home from abroad we always seem to end up in the Jolly on Leith Walk and the half pizza and half pasta dishes are satisfyingly waste expanding.

the general
On 25/03/2022 at 11:25, jonesy said:

Just walked past it and thought it sounded interesting enough to visit in the next couple of days. What do you recommend?

Join their loyalty scheme and get 50pc off Monday to Thursday for March ( maybe extended )

The spicy meat pizza and special fries are amazing

Rupert Pupkin

No longer there but “Le Petit Mort” was a brilliant little restaurant, real hidden gem.

Konrad von Carstein

Sardinha Assada it's a beach front restaurant in Armacao de Pera,  Portugal (so many amazing places to eat in that wee town)

Bonerowska,  Kraków (T bone was amazing) again umpteen great places for food in Kraków.

Ong Gie Korean just before the Meadows in Edinburgh.

Torino Pizzeria in my Mrs home town Głogów, Poland, pizzas from there are incredible.

Ashiq's Indian & Nepalese, here in Dunfermline :)

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

A favourite that is a bit unexpected is a little Pizza place in Belfast called Reggie's Stone Fired Pizzas. It's on University Road opposite a place called the Crescent Art Centre. Totally basic set up, chairs and plain wooden table and almost like a little concrete bunker but the pizzas are sensational. Handily a couple of minutes from the south end of Sandy Row if you feel hungry after a walk and a bit of mural spotting. 

Opposite end of the scale if you like your meal to be a bit of an experience Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn. Very old school, doesn't take credit cards, and barely anything on the menu if you want to veer away from steak (pointless really. It's a steakhouse). All the meat is from their own farm and butchered on the premises. I don't think it's changed much since the prohibition era. Not cheap though. 

13 hours ago, mrcrisps said:

Quick ‘n’ Plenty and Three Coins on a restaurant thread.  :rofl: 

Great for breakfasts, of that, there is no doubt.  Especially the Q and P.

But, restaurants?  

On 24/03/2022 at 21:58, jonesy said:

Avanti's in Madrid. Cheap as chips all day menu del dia and drinks. Always someone interesting to talk to at the bar.

Calle del Gral. Pardiñas, 15, 28001 Madrid, Spain

Some chain place called Shiv Sagar near Juhu Beach in Bombay. Full of people like me trying to avoid paying 20 quid for a pizza while staying on the company dime at one of the posh hotels. Pure veg, which also helps avoid the dreaded Immodium scrambles. Fresh strawberry juice was outstanding, and tried a different veggie curry every night for three weeks.

Juhu Princess Building, Juhu Tara Road, Near Juhu Beach Juhu, Santacruz West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400049, India

Can't find the name, but there's a wee 'eco' restaurant (local ingredients, organic where possible, limited meat) in Reggio Emilia that does the most amazing tagliolini con crema di asparagi. 

Samsi for Japanese food in Manchester. Fresh fish and friendly service at much more reasonable prices than Harajuku Kitchen in Edinburgh, which itself is great. I know one of the chefs there, and he is really passionate about what he does. Aubergine Curry is top notch.

A wee shout out to Sambuca at Causewayside for reasonably priced standard Italian stuff and making my kids feel welcome.

There is a seafood place called Gajalee about 10 mins walk from a shiv sugar that I go to every time I am in Mumbai.  It is just inland from Juhu Beach (I sometimes stay at the JWMarriott on Juhu Beach).  Gajalee has a few restaurants in Mumbai and the fried prawns are brilliant.

Edited by Sydney

On 26/03/2022 at 08:55, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

Moulin hotel, Pitlochry, good beer and food, been there many times but last time was 4 years ago.

Loved it there.  I haven't been for 25 years though.

highlandjambo3

The country club in freetown Sierra Leone……

Perched high up on the hill side, you can fine dine, use the gym, swim or relax in One of their plush rooms whilst overlooking the shit hole that is Freetown…….😂

They even have a bar called “Terrace 51” ……. https://countrylodgesl.com/restaurant/

the general
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Had the sardo pizza and special fries last night. Top marks. Best pizza I've had since I used to regularly go to Naples and around Campania for work.

Kids loved the Nutella pizza for dessert.

Glad you and family enjoyed it pal

Owner is a Hibby but a good lad despite that

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Nice enough, but I felt it was overpriced. 

Much preferred the now sadly departed Sodaeng at Buccleuch Street. The family have moved to London to open a new place. Lovely food and lovely people.

Yeah we were there many years ago.

On 25/03/2022 at 09:09, Say What Again said:

Both great picks.

Dominco's does a great takeaway lunch as well. How they get all that filling on the wraps/panini's... 🤤

Yes - I used to work nearby until a few years ago and they were one of my regular places to pick up a sandwich.