Favourite Restaurant's , Edinburgh and beyond

Howdy Doody Jambo

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Avanti's in Madrid. Cheap as chips all day menu del dia and drinks. Always someone interesting to talk to at the bar.

Calle del Gral. Pardiñas, 15, 28001 Madrid, Spain

Some chain place called Shiv Sagar near Juhu Beach in Bombay. Full of people like me trying to avoid paying 20 quid for a pizza while staying on the company dime at one of the posh hotels. Pure veg, which also helps avoid the dreaded Immodium scrambles. Fresh strawberry juice was outstanding, and tried a different veggie curry every night for three weeks.

Juhu Princess Building, Juhu Tara Road, Near Juhu Beach Juhu, Santacruz West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400049, India

Can't find the name, but there's a wee 'eco' restaurant (local ingredients, organic where possible, limited meat) in Reggio Emilia that does the most amazing tagliolini con crema di asparagi. 

Samsi for Japanese food in Manchester. Fresh fish and friendly service at much more reasonable prices than Harajuku Kitchen in Edinburgh, which itself is great. I know one of the chefs there, and he is really passionate about what he does. Aubergine Curry is top notch.

A wee shout out to Sambuca at Causewayside for reasonably priced standard Italian stuff and making my kids feel welcome.

I wonder why? :laugh:

AF1QipMb231p4Cl1F6pEteDis-3sbi8ArRkUIe_b

To be fair. The place looks great. An interesting place. I'm heading to Madrid at some point soon so will look it out 👍

The Rod and Line, Tideford.

Campo Tiro do Pinhal,Pêra

Treehouse, Soufriere

Quick n Plenty and The Three Coins, Tollcross

Balthazar,Covent Garden

2 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Treehouse, Soufriere

Balthazar,Covent Garden

:what:

Ron Burgundy
6 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Treehouse, Soufriere

Balthazar,Covent Garden

One of my mum's best pals ran the Quick n Plenty for years. Christine.

1 hour ago, Pap said:

I wonder why? :laugh:

AF1QipMb231p4Cl1F6pEteDis-3sbi8ArRkUIe_b

To be fair. The place looks great. An interesting place. I'm heading to Madrid at some point soon so will look it out 👍

:boak:

luckyBatistuta

Longueville Manor, Jersey

Kanpai, Edinburgh 

Fantasy Palace, Edinburgh ☹️😭

Golonkarnia in krakow or Vietnam in reykjavik are 2 places that I highly recommend if your there.

The only place in Edinburgh I go is Miller and Carter although I did have a meal at a carvery place over from Dalmahoy and it was really good. The place looks a bit shit and you think it's gonna be shite but would go back.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

The three chimneys, Isle of Skye. 

I've heard of this place, could you give it a JKB review? Is it Michelin star? 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Morgan. said:

Golonkarnia in krakow or Vietnam in reykjavik are 2 places that I highly recommend if your there.

The only place in Edinburgh I go is Miller and Carter although I did have a meal at a carvery place over from Dalmahoy and it was really good. The place looks a bit shit and you think it's gonna be shite but would go back.

Think that would be the Toby Carvery

The Bon Vivant, Thistle St, Edinburgh.

The Kitchin, Edinburgh.

The Boat House, South Queensferry.

Fishers on The Shore, The Shore, Edinburgh.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Bon Vivant, Thistle St, Edinburgh.

The Kitchin, Edinburgh.

The Boat House, South Queensferry.

Fishers on The Shore, The Shore, Edinburgh.

Went to the Boat House a couple of months back for the first time, was quite good.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

47 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:what:

I was at school with a laddie who's mum and dad owned it back in the 70's and 80's.

I would meet my Mum there after she finished work, she'd pay my bill and we would go home.

Latch key kids hadn't been invented then.

My school pal was a good guy but he is dead now and so is my Mum so its nice to remember.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Langan's Brasserie, Mayfair. 

This -  love the ambience even though the star studded clientele days when it was owned by Peter Langan and Michael Cane may have gone . It needn’t be overly expensive either with a great range of choice - Dover sole my favourite 

A perfect night out would be dinner at Langans then round to Annabels for a boogie although very difficult to gain access unless someone with you is or knows a member 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

The three chimneys, Isle of Skye. 

Just had a wee look at the sample menu, a lot to like. A wee pigeon in there too, love a pigeon😋 Need to try to get there one of these days.

BEBDEB17-1C78-4A69-83D6-8385A41B1075.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy

“Memed  “ Turkish restaurant south clerk  street . Terrific food

“ First coast “ Dalry road . 

Gorgie fry ( best chippy in town 

58 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

I've heard of this place, could you give it a JKB review? Is it Michelin star? 

I don’t think it does, it might now but I’m not sure it’s been a number of years since I was there. 

we had the sample menu , you get 10 courses I think it was, everything we had was exceptional . I had some photos from it but I don’t seem to have them on this phone. I’ll have a look and see if I can find them . 

I couldn’t recommend it enough, amazing place. 

highlandjambo3
22 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just had a wee look at the sample menu, a lot to like. A wee pigeon in there too, love a pigeon😋 Need to try to get there one of these days.

BEBDEB17-1C78-4A69-83D6-8385A41B1075.jpeg

I had heard they used to do a “taster” menu…..12 dishes for £120

Howdy Doody Jambo
11 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I don’t think it does, it might now but I’m not sure it’s been a number of years since I was there. 

we had the sample menu , you get 10 courses I think it was, everything we had was exceptional . I had some photos from it but I don’t seem to have them on this phone. I’ll have a look and see if I can find them . 

I couldn’t recommend it enough, amazing place. 

Thanks sounds amazeballs, would like to get there one day 

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I had heard they used to do a “taster” menu…..12 dishes for £120

Sounds about right. Kitchin was £85 for the taster, but up to, i think £115. Yes, it’s expensive, but when you think that you could easily blow £60 on a bog standard meal, I don’t think it’s outrageous. You are paying for incredible chefs, incredible food and an incredible all around experience.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Morgan. said:

Googled it  it's Ratho Park. 

So it is, been in there a couple of times too🤪

Lone Striker

Cambridge Bar, Young St  - best burgers ever

Charwood, Fairmilehead   - wide variety of great dishes

Stable Bar, Mortonhall - likewise 

Corbie Inn, Bo'ness   - superb food, wide variety of dishes too

Tea House, Larbert   - superb Chinese & Thai food 

Mango, Longcroft     -  superb mix & match Indian & Italian dishes

Woodhouse, Kippen -  high-class cafe style dishes

Drymen Inn, Drymen - superb trad dishes 

Armstrongs, Kirriemuir - absolutely outstanding food

Dalmore Inn, Blairgowrie - likewise

Buccleuch Arms, St.Boswells - gastropub class food 

Forresters, Pathhead  - superb  homemade steak pie, good quality for a small village  

Denholm Meet, Denholm -  high-class cafe/restaurant  with Italian specials (owner is Italian)

Buccleuch Hotel, Moffat - good quality trad dishes, plus a few South African dishes  (owner is from SA) 

Howard Arms, Brampton - brilliant food, with occasional world food dishes (owner is Mexican)

Kings Head, Thirlmere, Cumbria - outstandingly good food, promoting Lakes produce

Edited by Lone Striker

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Cambridge Bar, Young St  - best burgers ever

Charwood, Fairmilehead   - wide variety of great dishes

Stable Bar, Mortonhall - likewise 

Corbie Inn, Bo'ness   - superb food, wide variety of dishes too

Tea House, Larbert   - superb Chinese & Thai food 

Mango, Longcroft     -  superb mix & match Indian & Italian dishes

Woodhouse, Kippen -  high-class cafe style dishes

Drymen Inn, Drymen - superb trad dishes 

Armstrongs, Kirriemuir - absolutely outstanding food

Dalmore Inn, Blairgowrie - likewise

Buccleuch Arms, St.Boswells - gastropub class food 

Forresters, Pathhead  - superb  homemade steak pie, good quality for a small village  

Denholm Meet, Denholm -  high-class cafe/restaurant  with Italian specials (owner is Italian)

Buccleuch Hotel, Moffat - good quality trad dishes, plus a few South African dishes  (owner is from SA) 

Howard Arms, Brampton - brilliant food, with occasional world food dishes (owner is Mexican)

Up Fairmilehead, I’d choose the Stable over Charwood. I love the old worldly feel and atmosphere more. Their fish and chips are great for lunch.

Lone Striker
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Up Fairmilehead, I’d choose the Stable over Charwood. I love the old worldly feel and atmosphere more. Their fish and chips are great for lunch.

Know what you mean.  👍  In October when things were opening back up, we went there but didn't feel confident about venturing inside.  Needn't have worried - they'd  put 10 tables out on the cobbled courtyard, and staff were taking your order outside too, so no need to go inside (unless you needed the bog). It was a lovely warm day too, which made the whole thing really memorable.    The previous owner/manager was a Hibby - nice guy despite that though.  No idea who owns it now 

Say What Again

Dusit - Thistle Street

Wedgewood - Canongate

Cadiz - George Street

Le Bistrot - George IV Bridge

Was sad to find Krua Khun Mae Thai (just off Cockburn Street) had shut down when we wandered up the other week. Great Thai food without the fancy decor or prices.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Know what you mean.  👍  In October when things were opening back up, we went there but didn't feel confident about venturing inside.  Needn't have worried - they'd  put 10 tables out on the cobbled courtyard, and staff were taking your order outside too, so no need to go inside (unless you needed the bog). It was a lovely warm day too, which made the whole thing really memorable.    The previous owner/manager was a Hibby - nice guy despite that though.  No idea who owns it now 

The estate /caravan/campsite owners I believe 

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sounds about right. Kitchin was £85 for the taster, but up to, i think £115. Yes, it’s expensive, but when you think that you could easily blow £60 on a bog standard meal, I don’t think it’s outrageous. You are paying for incredible chefs, incredible food and an incredible all around experience.

You can also get a 3-course set lunch at The Kitchin for about £50.

3 courses is a lie; with the tuiles and dips and bread and pre-starter not mentioned in the menu at all, it's far more like 5 courses.

Nae dinner needed that night.

Edited by Cade

il Duce McTarkin
4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

8BB55601-E75C-4B83-AB88-BC44E8BEA475.png

:lol:

You getting those anaw!

p.s. i've made a couple of enquiries and it doesn't look like the Goodies are running a bus to the semi. I'm out of town though so things might've changed.

You should just get a taxi, bud. I've heard that you can afford it.

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Charwood used to do a great steak and wine deal on a Thursday. Upped theprice quite a bit now though. 

The courtyard at the Stable is a wee bit out of the way but a great place to lose a sunny afternoon.

luckyBatistuta
46 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Charwood used to do a great steak and wine deal on a Thursday. Upped theprice quite a bit now though. 

The courtyard at the Stable is a wee bit out of the way but a great place to lose a sunny afternoon.

Used to really like Charwood, but the last couple of times we’ve been have been a bit of a disappointment.

Oh aye, I’m just along the road now, so I can see myself spending a few sunny afternoons there.

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Used to really like Charwood, but the last couple of times we’ve been have been a bit of a disappointment.

Oh aye, I’m just along the road now, so I can see myself spending a few sunny afternoons there.

I know what you mean. I still go, thlugh, as they're good with young kids.

Dante's in Colinton Village is far superior when bairn free.

luckyBatistuta
54 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

:lol:

You getting those anaw!

p.s. i've made a couple of enquiries and it doesn't look like the Goodies are running a bus to the semi. I'm out of town though so things might've changed.

You should just get a taxi, bud. I've heard that you can afford it.

Every second message has Monty🤣

I’ll be shocked if they don’t tbh, will find something👍👌

Now I wonder who could have started that rumour🤔

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I know what you mean. I still go, thlugh, as they're good with young kids.

Dante's in Colinton Village is far superior when bairn free.

Dante’s is the top restaurant around that whole area👌