Interview help and tips

Robbies right hand man

On 22/03/2022 at 18:09, Robbies right hand man said:

Hi all,

After 14 years with my present company, I’m due to leave due to redundancy.

I have received a call from a potential employer offering me an interview on Tuesday.

I’m a bit out of practice and would appreciate any tips and hints to be successful.

obviously looking smart etc are givens but I’m looking for help with questions and answers (I know answers need to fit into multiple questions).

Thanks in advance 

Start your own business. 👍 Not answering to anyone (apart from the wife), makes life a lot happier. It's hard work and stressful, but when successful, it brings everything you can ask for. And in time you'll be interviewing the very people asking for the great advice from the good folk of JKB.

Anyway, Good luck, bud 🤞 👍

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbies right hand man

• JudyJudyJudy

• ri Alban

• Morgan

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, kila said:

You should take a folder with a few notes so you can remember questions you want to ask. You could have a 'cheat' sheet you can look over in the waiting room with the key points you want to get across, information about company etc but best to put that away during the interview.

Take a couple of pens too, and be ready to scribble a few things during the interview such as questions that pop into your head that might fade before you get a chance to ask.

A wee read on what sort of notes are appropriate and why they could give a good impression: https://www.edenindoors.co/can-you-take-notes-into-an-interview/

Nothing wrong in taking it in to the interview itself. 

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Something I'm drawn more and more towards as I get older. 

I can't be bothered with people telling me what to do. They can ask, but when they tell, it's :bolt:. And tools back in the motor.

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yeah, I'm truly grateful to be freelance at the moment. I don't believe or care in anything strongly enough to knock my pan in for a company. I have huge respect for my friends and family who are able to work for an employer day in and day out for years. I just know that, had I gone down that route long term, I'd probably be in a loony bin by now.

I miss the holiday pay, but that's it. Tho, working on my own can drive you to said loony bin.

And nothing is permanent these days, the full time guarantees are/will be a bygone era. 

**** luck bud :thumbsup:

highlandjambo3
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Start your own business. 👍 Not answering to anyone (apart from the wife), makes life a lot happier. It's hard work and stressful, but when successful, it brings everything you can ask for. And in time you'll be interviewing the very people asking for the great advice from the good folk of JKB.

Self employed here and have been for 17 years…….it’s great if you can find a market that needs what your giving (guest house & guided tours).  I’m finished by *12 every day (unless I’m touring) so I then pop out on my bike (electric 😏) for a cycle to lochness. 

* although it is 7 days a week……all my wee breaks/holidays are pre planned and rooms shut accordingly 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I miss the holiday pay, but that's it. Tho, working on my own can drive you to said loony bin.

And nothing is permanent these days, the full time guarantees are/will be a bygone era. 

**** luck bud :thumbsup:

Good luck. I have no idea what that says bud.

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yes working for yourself is the ideal scenario really

Edited by JamesM48

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yes working for yourself is the ideal scenario really

The Pandemic has (excuse the turn of phrase) given people a new lease of life, with regards to work. I know a few folk who hated their jobs and used grants and loans to set up themselves on a new path.

Good luck to everyone. Especially after the last 2 years and the incoming shit show that will no doubt in my mind destroy more people than the fecking evil pandemic. :(

Personally, my get up and go, has got up gone.(fecked off)

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Pandemic has (excuse the turn of phrase) given people a new lease of life, with regards to work. I know a few folk who hated their jobs and used grants and loans to set up themselves on a new path.

Good luck to everyone. Especially after the last 2 years and the incoming shit show that will no doubt in my mind destroy more people than the fecking evil pandemic. :(

Your get up and go seems to start about 4 am... :)  my get up and go went years ago.  I think the pandemic has made people review all aspects of their lives not just work. YOLO . is the motto. 

51 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Get yourself going again, ri.

As James says, YOLO.

Go for it man!  👍 

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

As James says, YOLO.

Go for it man!  👍 

I was gonna write the posher YOLO but cant spell it something like Carp diem i think

"seize the day " :))

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When I hit 50, I replaced my get up and go with get up and slow….😁

41 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Avoid all eye contact, the man who talks loses. Telekinesis 

Yes, avoiding eye contact at a job interview is a top tip.

It’s a sure fire method to guarantee getting the position one craves.

A winner!  

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

When I hit 50, I replaced my get up and go with get up and slow….😁

Get up and go back to bed. :D

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Your get up and go seems to start about 4 am... :)  my get up and go went years ago.  I think the pandemic has made people review all aspects of their lives not just work. YOLO . is the motto. 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

As James says, YOLO.

Go for it man!  👍 

Lads, what does YOLO mean?. I'm a bit dense with these things .

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Lads, what does YOLO mean?. I'm a bit dense with these things .

You Only Live Once

21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

DLOC

👍

? :D I have no idea, bud.

I thought lol was not laugh out loud for years. :facepalm: lots of love .

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

I thought lol was laugh out loud for years. :facepalm:

It is, isn’t it?

I used to think it meant Lots of Love.  :vrface:

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I thought lol was laugh out loud for years. :facepalm:

DLOC

Drink lots of cider.  😎

0E5ED09D-54CA-4550-91F5-3DF047F529CB.jpeg

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

It is, isn’t it?

I used to think it meant Lots of Love.  :vrface:

Read my edit. I'm the same and my Mrs used to let me do it for her own hilarity. :D

rudi must stay
On 25/03/2022 at 15:27, Morgan said:

Yes, avoiding eye contact at a job interview is a top tip.

It’s a sure fire method to guarantee getting the position one craves.

A winner!  

I feel it in my finger I feel it in my toes 

JudyJudyJudy
On 25/03/2022 at 16:12, ri Alban said:

Thanks 👍

Took me ages to work out various acronyms 

FiFY.  ( didn’t have a clue for ages ) 

FHM ( still not got a clue ? ) 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Took me ages to work out various acronyms 

FiFY.  ( didn’t have a clue for ages ) 

FHM ( still not got a clue ? ) 

:D I'm hopeless.

I've found taking the time to research the company to be really helpful. You don't want to be unable to tell them about themselves. Knowing your CV inside and out is important and try and have examples of things that you can call on to illustrate any points you're looking to make or to stress experience in a particular area. A few basic things like strengths and weaknesses is helpful too. How you spin the weakness is important, I think showing some self awareness around it is key. 

Also try and have a couple of questions ready. They like questions. 

Try and seem enthused about the role too. If you can inject some light humour into it and seem personable that can help too. 

The jobs and stuff I've done are likely on the lower end of the spectrum experience wise, so it might be different as you ascend the corporate ladder, thats just been my experience so far for some temp jobs and a few permanent ones that I've been successful in getting. 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I've found taking the time to research the company to be really helpful. You don't want to be unable to tell them about themselves. Knowing your CV inside and out is important and try and have examples of things that you can call on to illustrate any points you're looking to make or to stress experience in a particular area. A few basic things like strengths and weaknesses is helpful too. How you spin the weakness is important, I think showing some self awareness around it is key. 

Also try and have a couple of questions ready. They like questions. 

Try and seem enthused about the role too. If you can inject some light humour into it and seem personable that can help too. 

The jobs and stuff I've done are likely on the lower end of the spectrum experience wise, so it might be different as you ascend the corporate ladder, thats just been my experience so far for some temp jobs and a few permanent ones that I've been successful in getting. 

Knowing your CV is important, but you need to summarise what is relevant in your experience to their role.  Ideally you might tune your CV to emphasise the relevant bits as it will help your cause.

lost in space

Try to tell the truth.

If you give the opinion that you think the interview panel wants to hear - and you don't have this actual opinion - if you are then asked why you have this opinion, it isn't easy to reply.

Good advice in this thread. 

One thing people I've interviewed annoy me with is not trying to close the deal.

Always ask 'is there anything that I can go back over to clarify or any doubts/concerns that you may have that I can put your mind at ease around why I am not a great candidate to fill [position] at [such and such company]'.

And also, guard your non-verbals i.e. body language. Once had a guy come in for a PM interview who slouched in his chair and had the appearance that he was chatting to mates in an airport lounge on the way to a stag in Budapest... not a great impresison to give off. 

16 hours ago, frankblack said:

Knowing your CV is important, but you need to summarise what is relevant in your experience to their role.  Ideally you might tune your CV to emphasise the relevant bits as it will help your cause.

and when they ask you to walk through your CV or 'tell us about yourself' type question, start with the most recent job. I'm not interested as a hiring manager what you did as a summer job straight out of school if you are someone in the middle of their working life. 

• 2 weeks later...
Robbies right hand man

Hey all.

just a wee update - had my interview today and it went well, (I think).

Some difficult questions but I really researched my answers and feel I did the best I possibly could.

the only sticking point could be my leaving date of my employer as technically I left as of Monday but hopefully that won’t be too much of an issue.

Thanks all!!!

Captain Slog
1 hour ago, Robbies right hand man said:

Hey all.

Some difficult questions but I really researched my answers and feel I did the best I possibly could.

the only sticking point could be my leaving date of my employer as technically I left as of Monday but hopefully that won’t be too much of an issue.

Thanks all!!!

Hope you get the answer you want from them soon

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Robbies right hand man said:

Hey all.

Thanks all!!!

Hopefully good news on the way 

Robbies right hand man
28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Cheers mate, you’re a top guy.

Robbies right hand man
28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

thanks mate 

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, Robbies right hand man said:

thanks mate 

37 minutes ago, Robbies right hand man said:

Cheers mate, you’re a top guy.

👍

Robbies right hand man

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Thanks so everyone’s help and support. I’ll make a donation to FOH and become a subscriber again (after my previous ban I had, I promised never to subscribe again. Tyniemen may be dead, but this thread has more than made up for it.

And again, James you’re a top lad. 

highlandjambo3
40 minutes ago, Robbies right hand man said:

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Thanks so everyone’s help and support. I’ll make a donation to FOH and become a subscriber again (after my previous ban I had, I promised never to subscribe again. Tyniemen may be dead, but this thread has more than made up for it.

Well done……..and always remember FTH 👍

41 minutes ago, Robbies right hand man said:

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Superb. Well done, mate.

As a serial interview flop, I felt I ought not to contribute to suggestions but have followed the thread with interest.

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Congrats! Having followed the thread with interest I feel like a proud dad haha

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Brilliant news, well done

Mr Brightside

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Well done, glad to hear you were successful.

Captain Slog

Superb, that has quite made my night.  Well done you.

I've no idea why it cheers me someone i may not have met unless its at Tynie got good news, but we are all hearts supporters, so a boost for you is a boost for us all