Interview help and tips

Robbies right hand man

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Obviously gay  “ “ trys it on with everyone “ …… 

6515EF75-C34B-4391-B320-DED06C7ADFDF.gif

He pushes back and he's a slut. He's funny though I think he gets off on making people uncomfortable like he'll come in the drivers room and sit on someone's knee, He's felt my arse a few times but it's all a bit of fun.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbies right hand man

• JudyJudyJudy

• ri Alban

• Morgan

highlandjambo3
38 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That's a good one. Take them in written down on an A4 pad (if you have an A4 presentation folder then even better) and when they come to the inevitable have you got any questions for us open the pad and say yes I have. If they have covered all your questions (probably won't but..) then just say as you can see I had questions but I am glad to say you have covered them. It shows interest in them as a company and someone keen as jonseys says to prepare for the IV. 

Never ask about salary, benefits or holidays. If they ask what you are looking for then say obviously money is important and I will consider your best offer. Never give them a range as guess where they'll go? 

Another question I always suggested candidates ask towards the end is to ask them what it was about the company that attracted them to join it? 

Good eye contact is an absolute must. And if here is a panel bring them all into the conversation by looking at them all as you answer questions. 

At the end of the interview thank them all for taking the time to meet with you and say you look forward to hearing from them. Don't waffle on and feel you have to continue chatting. 

As an aside people will tend to do more research and put more time and effort into organising a weekend away than an interview. Find out all you can about them and the people you are meeting if possible.

From my experience of interviewing, there is a pre and post procedure to follow before the interview starts….

Pre is photocopying at least two forms of id including one with a photo, also read the new job specification to the potential employee…..then the interview starts.

Post interview is reading out the company salary scale for the job, holidays, sickness and sickness pay, overtime, travelling and staying away overnight for training courses as well as what happens next, the interviewee takes a printed copy of the company general procedures mentioned above……………successful candidate gets a call personally from the person conduction the interview, the remainder get a letter from HR thanking them for their time.

Thats my experience with a company I worked for, probably conducted around 15 interview sessions with up to 5 people being interviewed in each session.  I’ve Never worked for anyone else though so cannot comment on other ways of doing this.

Edited by highlandjambo3

18 hours ago, conn artist said:

Always send a follow up email thanking them for their time and how interested you are in the position etc.  Works a treat. 

Having been the interviewer quite a few times now, I've honestly 95% made my mind up by the time the person is being walked out the building, thank them personally at the end of the interview yes but an email after the fact probably isn't going to make much of a difference 

17 hours ago, Sirudi said:

Get on the internet and try and do some homework on the company/ job.

Make sure you have some questions to ask at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions. Nothing worse than a “no”.
Keep them centred on the job, such as “what are the promotion prospects”,  and not along the lines of “how many holidays do I get”. 

I personally wouldn’t send a follow up email, but I would recommend at the end of the interview you thank them, look them in the eye and shake their hand. Always makes a good impression in my experience.

Good luck !

Don't ask about promotion, focus on the role being applied for and ask questions such as 'if there was one thing I could magically fix in the first week, what would it be?'

I agree not to ask about holidays in the interview, that's something to ask before the interview, if a company isn't willing to disclose how much they are willing to pay you either directly or in benefits then they really aren't likely to be an employer that really values you and there's no point wasting everyone's time by going through the interview process to then discover that the salary or holidays etc aren't acceptable to you.

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Having been the interviewer quite a few times now, I've honestly 95% made my mind up by the time the person is being walked out the building, thank them personally at the end of the interview yes but an email after the fact probably isn't going to make much of a difference 

This - well for me too. 
Mind made up quickly, unless of course I have a few yes’s, then shortlist and consider 

Ron Burgundy
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

He pushes back and he's a slut. He's funny though I think he gets off on making people uncomfortable like he'll come in the drivers room and sit on someone's knee, He's felt my arse a few times but it's all a bit of fun.

It's all fun and games till you wake up with your underpants on back to front and spot the empty Rohypnol bottle under the pillow.

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Herbert said:

He has read the workplace code of conduct at all ? I tend to prefer guys or girls to at least ask if they can feel my arse first , but suppose that takes the spontaneity of sexual assault out of it and the “ surprise “ . 

Where do you work ? You seem to have described a scene out of that classic 

“ comedy”  

3B5A7362-B48D-4F9A-868F-A40229730379.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

I tanked an interview recently for a job i should have got. :lol: Just winged it, zero preparation. It's a box ticking exercise. They'll pick the person who ticks the boxes in an interview. 

Edited by Cruyff

12 hours ago, Herbert said:

?

If you don't know, I'm not explaining it.

12 hours ago, Herbert said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, dinnie wear white socks. 

And again.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I tanked an interview recently for a job i should have got. :lol: Just winged it, zero preparation. It's a box ticking exercise. They'll pick the person who ticks the boxes in an interview. 

So, you got the job?

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

So, you got the job?

Nope.

I should've used bombed instead of tanked, my bad. 👍

I probably never bigged myself up enough imo. Should of said, "I can do this, that and the next", when asked - "what could you bring to this job". 

Ticked every box on their job description. Answered every question but was probably too succinct with my answers. Wasn't my best interview tbf. I'd have been ace at that job as well. :sad: It was on Microsoft Teams as well. Would have preffered it to be in person.

At least ive got another job just now. So, I'm not that bothered i didn't get it. 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Nope.

I should've used bombed instead of tanked, my bad. 👍

I probably never bigged myself up enough imo. Should of said, "I can do this, that and the next", when asked - "what could you bring to this job". 

Ticked every box on their job description. Answered every question but was probably too succinct with my answers. Wasn't my best interview tbf. I'd have been ace at that job as well. :sad: It was on Microsoft Teams as well. Would have preffered it to be in person.

At least ive got another job just now. So, I'm not that bothered i didn't get it. 

So in summary…………….best to prepare yes?

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

He has read the workplace code of conduct at all ? I tend to prefer guys or girls to at least ask if they can feel my arse first , but suppose that takes the spontaneity of sexual assault out of it and the “ surprise “ . 

Where do you work ? You seem to have described a scene out of that classic 

“ comedy”  

3B5A7362-B48D-4F9A-868F-A40229730379.jpeg

I work for Stagecoach 😄 

He's a nice guy think he just gets a bit carried away.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

If you don't know, I'm not explaining it.

And again.

I seem to upset you. Do you want to talk about it?

6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I seem to upset you. Do you want to talk about it?

You don’t upset me, you annoy me.

I would rather speak to an apricot than speak to you.

15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You don’t upset me, you annoy me.

I would rather speak to an apricot than speak to you.

You get annoyed by someone on the Internet? As far as I'm aware this is the first direct interaction we've had. Dunno why you let me get to you or what I’ve typed to annoy you but you should chill out a little.

5 minutes ago, Herbert said:

You get annoyed by someone on the Internet? As far as I'm aware this is the first direct interaction we've had. Dunno why you let me get to you or what I’ve typed to annoy you but you should chill out a little.

Yes.

It’s not.

It’s ‘Don’t know’.

I’m chilled enough without tips from you.

Thanks for coming back though.  I’d  hoped you wouldn’t.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Yes.

It’s not.

It’s ‘Don’t know’.

I’m chilled enough without tips from you.

Thanks for coming back though.  I’d  hoped you wouldn’t.

Really, I can't remember you, Sorry.

I don't think you are, Maybe public forums are not great if you get worked up over nothing. You moaned because I posted on a thread. Would you like me to delete my account?

1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Would you like me to delete my account?

That would be delicious!  🙏

Thanks ever so much.  👍

1 minute ago, Morgan. said:

OK goodbye

I’ll miss you more than I would piles, rain and nine of my fingers.

Bonsoir.  🤧

Jambo_jim2001
On 22/03/2022 at 18:09, Robbies right hand man said:

Hi all,

After 14 years with my present company, I’m due to leave due to redundancy.

I have received a call from a potential employer offering me an interview on Tuesday.

I’m a bit out of practice and would appreciate any tips and hints to be successful.

obviously looking smart etc are givens but I’m looking for help with questions and answers (I know answers need to fit into multiple questions).

Thanks in advance 

How did you get on?Good luck BTW👍

Robbies right hand man
6 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

thanks mate. It’s on Tuesday so going to do as much prep as I can 

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

No shit batman.

Quite…….…just wondered why you posted an epic fail on a post requiring help and tips on how NOT to fail, not really constructive Batman.

3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Quite…….…just wondered why you posted an epic fail on a post requiring help and tips on how NOT to fail, not really constructive Batman.

Oh dear. You've managed to have a go at someone for no reason. Congrats. Does it make you feel better? 

7 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Showing where he went wrong and mistakes he made is completely constructive and a great help to others. What a weird thing to arsey about. 

10 hours ago, Robbies right hand man said:

thanks mate. It’s on Tuesday so going to do as much prep as I can 

Joyce tried calling you last night to offer help but it seemed to be the wrong number

Captain Slog
On 22/03/2022 at 20:06, steve123 said:

They may well as you competency based questions, if so think of specific situations and using the word I rather than we follow 3 steps below 

1/ Explain the situation 

2/ What did you personally do to remedy, effect the situation etc depending on question 

3/ And importantly what was the outcome.

Good luck and remember interviews work both ways you are as much finding out about them as they are you.

https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/star-technique#:~:text=The STAR technique is a method of answering,Result%3A Conclude with the result of your action.

Civil service and big companies expect answers in this format

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

On the dreaded "what are your weaknesses" question, don't dress up a strength as a weakness, they can see right through that. Honesty is better. And frame it around something you are aware of and working on, rather than a weakness. One of the best answers I've heard was someone who said they were working on getting better at asking for input from others and fully utilising the skills of everyone around them. 

Also, a good question I heard once was around expectations - if someone asked you in a couple of months how the new employee was working out, what would you like to see from me to make the answer to that 'excellent'?

Good luck!

Robbies right hand man
3 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Joyce tried calling you last night to offer help but it seemed to be the wrong number

Hey, I’ve replied to you via email. I’m free anytime tomorrow if that is suitable?

Thanks so much for your help - it sounds like you and your partner are really good people.

I genuinely appreciate it.

Robbies right hand man
20 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

thank you for your support. The interview is on Tuesday and I’ve been offered another interview on Thursday.

This thread makes me

appreciate how nice and kind hearted people can be

Robbies right hand man
1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

On the dreaded "what are your weaknesses" question, don't dress up a strength as a weakness, they can see right through that. Honesty is better. And frame it around something you are aware of and working on, rather than a weakness. One of the best answers I've heard was someone who said they were working on getting better at asking for input from others and fully utilising the skills of everyone around them. 

Also, a good question I heard once was around expectations - if someone asked you in a couple of months how the new employee was working out, what would you like to see from me to make the answer to that 'excellent'?

Good luck!

That’s a brilliant suggestion.

thank you so much for your help

Robbies right hand man

Good luck!

That’s great advice. Thank you so much for your help. People have been so helpful on this thread. That’s why we’re hearts fans. Joking aside this has been so helpful so thank you to everyone

Robbies right hand man

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Thanks mate - I’ll read through this tonight. 

Robbies right hand man
On 23/03/2022 at 13:14, Ribble said:

Don't ask about promotion, focus on the role being applied for and ask questions such as 'if there was one thing I could magically fix in the first week, what would it be?'

I agree not to ask about holidays in the interview, that's something to ask before the interview, if a company isn't willing to disclose how much they are willing to pay you either directly or in benefits then they really aren't likely to be an employer that really values you and there's no point wasting everyone's time by going through the interview process to then discover that the salary or holidays etc aren't acceptable to you.

thanks for your advice pal, this thread has been excellent for my preparation. People are generally good, restores my faith in humanity 

Robbies right hand man
On 23/03/2022 at 12:06, Seymour M Hersh said:

That's a good one. Take them in written down on an A4 pad (if you have an A4 presentation folder then even better) and when they come to the inevitable have you got any questions for us open the pad and say yes I have. If they have covered all your questions (probably won't but..) then just say as you can see I had questions but I am glad to say you have covered them. It shows interest in them as a company and someone keen as jonseys says to prepare for the IV. 

Never ask about salary, benefits or holidays. If they ask what you are looking for then say obviously money is important and I will consider your best offer. Never give them a range as guess where they'll go? 

Another question I always suggested candidates ask towards the end is to ask them what it was about the company that attracted them to join it? 

Good eye contact is an absolute must. And if here is a panel bring them all into the conversation by looking at them all as you answer questions. 

At the end of the interview thank them all for taking the time to meet with you and say you look forward to hearing from them. Don't waffle on and feel you have to continue chatting. 

As an aside people will tend to do more research and put more time and effort into organising a weekend away than an interview. Find out all you can about them and the people you are meeting if possible.

Thanks mate 

Robbies right hand man
On 22/03/2022 at 18:26, conn artist said:

Always send a follow up email thanking them for their time and how interested you are in the position etc.  Works a treat. 

thanks for the advice mate 

Robbies right hand man
On 22/03/2022 at 18:50, Alex Kintner said:

My sister is an HR manager and does a lot of interviews. She says basic manners and presentation go a long, long way. 👍🏻

thanks mate 

Robbies right hand man
On 22/03/2022 at 19:29, Sirudi said:

Make sure you have some questions to ask at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions. Nothing worse than a “no”.
Keep them centred on the job, such as “what are the promotion prospects”,  and not along the lines of “how many holidays do I get”. 

I personally wouldn’t send a follow up email, but I would recommend at the end of the interview you thank them, look them in the eye and shake their hand. Always makes a good impression in my experience.

Good luck !

thanks mate, I’ve literally done that for two days now. I appreciate the advice 

Robbies right hand man
On 22/03/2022 at 19:43, JamesM48 said:

Research the company in particular it’s values and mission statements if they one ? claim it’s in congruence with your own values etc 

Positive body language , smiling , etc 

dont use non affirmative words like “ possibly “ “ maybe “ “ Perhaps” 

Flatter them “ that’s an interesting question “ etc 

if you need time to think of an answer say it to them . It’s ok to be human and slightly vulnerable 

do not diss your last employer or Anyones for that matter .

Fake sincerity . 

Top man as always James. I owe you a pint one day 👍

Robbies right hand man
On 23/03/2022 at 07:09, Alex Kintner said:

TM?

former user name initials - got banned after a silly drunken rant 

Edited by Robbies right hand man

Robbies right hand man

Good luck!

I have that answer lined up. Essentially I would like to firstly build up my system knowledge and show my skills with clients, and over 6 months become competent with a view of becoming an SME in the field, which would enable me to help others learn and more importantly delivery the very best of service to our clients. I would then like to develop further in terms of how I can help the company to succeed.

thank you for your help!

Robbies right hand man
On 22/03/2022 at 18:26, conn artist said:

thanks mate - I’ll consider it, it seems to be a debated idea but I appreciate your suggestion

Robbies right hand man
On 22/03/2022 at 19:29, Sirudi said:

Good luck !

thanks mate - this is all really helpful 

You should take a folder with a few notes so you can remember questions you want to ask. You could have a 'cheat' sheet you can look over in the waiting room with the key points you want to get across, information about company etc but best to put that away during the interview.

Take a couple of pens too, and be ready to scribble a few things during the interview such as questions that pop into your head that might fade before you get a chance to ask.

A wee read on what sort of notes are appropriate and why they could give a good impression: https://www.edenindoors.co/can-you-take-notes-into-an-interview/

Robbies right hand man
3 minutes ago, kila said:

You should take a folder with a few notes so you can remember questions you want to ask. You could have a 'cheat' sheet you can look over in the waiting room with the key points you want to get across, information about company etc but best to put that away during the interview.

Take a couple of pens too, and be ready to scribble a few things during the interview such as questions that pop into your head that might fade before you get a chance to ask.

A wee read on what sort of notes are appropriate and why they could give a good impression: https://www.edenindoors.co/can-you-take-notes-into-an-interview/

thanks again mate, I’ll have a read over this tomorrow morning as I have a phone call involving my interview on. Tuesday.

Statts1976uk

I had two interviews about 18 months ago for internal roles and I asked for feedback when I didn't get the first one. I used that for the second one which was a more senior role.

I was told not to try and fill in uncomfortable silences, say what I needed to say and get my point across but without the waffle.

Take a brief moment to think about the question and not just jump straight in or even worse pre-empt the question. I knew the interviewers well and I suppose that showed in my approach. Second interview was I was much more measured in my approach.

The weakness question is always a difficult one but what I did was say what it was then what I was doing about it.

Last thing is to have a question or two for when they ask you if you have any questions. I like to have two, one about personal development within the company and one about where they see the post/company in 2 years or 5 years. It shows that you are looking into the future of the role etc.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Robbies right hand man said:

Top man as always James. I owe you a pint one day 👍

No bother 👍👍

2 hours ago, kila said:

Good suggestion. Re taking a pen: paper in with you with any notes . Nothing at all wrong with that .