Interview help and tips

Robbies right hand man

Robbies right hand man

Hi all,

After 14 years with my present company, I’m due to leave due to redundancy.

I have received a call from a potential employer offering me an interview on Tuesday.

I’m a bit out of practice and would appreciate any tips and hints to be successful.

obviously looking smart etc are givens but I’m looking for help with questions and answers (I know answers need to fit into multiple questions).

Thanks in advance 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbies right hand man

• JudyJudyJudy

• ri Alban

• Morgan

conn artist

Always send a follow up email thanking them for their time and how interested you are in the position etc.  Works a treat. 

Alex Kintner

My sister is an HR manager and does a lot of interviews. She says basic manners and presentation go a long, long way. 👍🏻

36 minutes ago, conn artist said:

Always send a follow up email thanking them for their time and how interested you are in the position etc.  Works a treat. 

I'd advise against that. Interview ends once you walk out the door (or exit the video chat) and it's for them to contact you going forward. Anything you send after that will just irritate most HR folk as it's another unnecessary email clogging their inbox.

conn artist

It's worked well for my wife on recent interviews.  Her current employer said it was her follow up email that clinched it. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Robbies right hand man said:

Hi all,

I have received a call from a potential employer offering me an interview on Tuesday.

I’m a bit out of practice and would appreciate any tips and hints to be successful.

obviously looking smart etc are givens but I’m looking for help with questions and answers (I know answers need to fit into multiple questions).

Thanks in advance 

tenor.gif

Hi all,

Thanks in advance 

Get on the internet and try and do some homework on the company/ job.

Make sure you have some questions to ask at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions. Nothing worse than a “no”.
Keep them centred on the job, such as “what are the promotion prospects”,  and not along the lines of “how many holidays do I get”. 

I personally wouldn’t send a follow up email, but I would recommend at the end of the interview you thank them, look them in the eye and shake their hand. Always makes a good impression in my experience.

Good luck !

JudyJudyJudy

Research the company in particular it’s values and mission statements if they one ? claim it’s in congruence with your own values etc 

Positive body language , smiling , etc 

dont use non affirmative words like “ possibly “ “ maybe “ “ Perhaps” 

Flatter them “ that’s an interesting question “ etc 

if you need time to think of an answer say it to them . It’s ok to be human and slightly vulnerable 

do not diss your last employer or Anyones for that matter .

Fake sincerity . 

JudyJudyJudy

Also try get in your interests outside of work , in particular if it’s voluntary work if things which may seem your a nice person 😂

They may well as you competency based questions, if so think of specific situations and using the word I rather than we follow 3 steps below 

1/ Explain the situation 

2/ What did you personally do to remedy, effect the situation etc depending on question 

3/ And importantly what was the outcome.

Good luck and remember interviews work both ways you are as much finding out about them as they are you.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance 

Hi Rrhman , I’ve employed hundreds over the years ,for me ,old school maybe? I like all the paraphernalia but the eye to eye  contact and honesty chat rarely has let me down 👍

don’t forget your positives you bring ,don’t forget your potential ,don’t forget they will know you will be a bit nervous , be proud of what you bring , good luck Robbies right hand man , life can be a big drama at times ? This is one of these ,look around you, see what’s going on in the world , this is a dawdle , walk in ,head up 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Lots of lies always helps.

Every feckin time from you.  Every time.

Brighton Jambo

A few tips from me @Robbies right hand man

1.  Have a few different experiences in mind so that you can fit them to the question asked.  Really make sure you have thought through those experiences in advance so you aren’t scrabbling around for the details in the moment.

2.  Take a moment before launching into an answer to make sure the answer you’ve chosen is the best fit.  Nothing worse than being half way through an answer then thinking of a better one.  The pause may seem excruciating but it will be worth it.

3.  Have questions in mind for the end.  With respect to the poster above I wouldn’t ask about promotion in an interview but maybe something like, what would be the key focus areas for me if I got the role.

4.  Agree with those saying research the company, always goes down well and even if you can drop in a brief reference to that research it plays well.

5.  Even though you are being made redundant try and be positive about previous employer, emphasise how much you’ve learned. 

6. Answer each question using the STAR methodology, having the structure means your answers will be far more coherent and you won’t forget stuff.  Link below.  If you only follow one tip please check this out (also has loads of example questions in the link) 

https://www.themuse.com/amp/advice/star-interview-method

7.  Try and talk about you and what YOU did in a situation.  It’s so easy to slip into ‘we’ did this or ‘we did’ that.  Try and talk specifically about what ‘I’ did. 

8.  Its okay to come across as nervous; your CV will show you haven’t done this for years!

9.  If they ask you to walk through your CV don’t go right to the beginning, pick certain things from different roles that you feel are best aligned to this job.  Nothing worse than someone who gives their whole career history.  

I work in HR in case you wondered.  Very best of luck.

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, conn artist said:

It's worked well for my wife on recent interviews.  Her current employer said it was her follow up email that clinched it. 

We employed someone who did similar albeit after the person who we offered the post to first declined the offer. The person who emailed thanking us and who eventually got the post turned out to be a massive PITA too. 🙄

Still good advice mind. 

Mr Brightside
2 hours ago, conn artist said:

If it comes across genuine it won’t do any harm. I do a lot of interviews and actually offer the interviewee the opportunity to get in touch after the interview to ask anything they forgot to during the interview.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

:laugh2: First thing I thought of. 

CF11JamTart

The ones that came mind have been covered above. But two main ones....

Wht do you want to work for this particular company? (and not their competitor down the road?). Do some digging. As mentioned check their website for values, mission statement, etc. 

If they ask a question about when you have demonstrated leadership, teamwork, transparency blah blah blah, it doesn't have to be in a work context. Something in your personal life, hobbies, etc. would be fine. And it would show that you are a rounded human being. 

And be upbeat.

Good luck 

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

:laugh2: First thing I thought of. 

I few years ago I had the chance to do an interview having already been offered a job elsewhere. I'll forever regret not taking the opportunity to do this in a real life situation...

...contracting though,  you never know when you'll see the same faces again.

This maybe a bit basic but find out exactly where the interview is being held.  How are you going to get there?  Bus? Train? Get the earlier one.  Driving? Do a trial run to see where you can park and how long it’ll take you to walk from the car park.

There’s nothing worse than a last minute panic.  Better to be hanging about outside the office for a few minutes than a sweaty last-minute arrival.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

This maybe a bit basic but find out exactly where the interview is being held.  How are you going to get there?  Bus? Train? Get the earlier one.  Driving? Do a trial run to see where you can park and how long it’ll take you to walk from the car park.

There’s nothing worse than a last minute panic.  Better to be hanging about outside the office for a few minutes than a sweaty last-minute arrival.

That’s good advice 

I got made redundant a few years ago.  Had some awful interviews to begin with.  Don't let these get you down.

The key I found was to learn what you were getting caught out on and doing prep to handle it next time.

I ended up getting a few offers including late the company I had targeted most.

Robbies right hand man
6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Research the company in particular it’s values and mission statements if they one ? claim it’s in congruence with your own values etc 

Positive body language , smiling , etc 

dont use non affirmative words like “ possibly “ “ maybe “ “ Perhaps” 

Flatter them “ that’s an interesting question “ etc 

if you need time to think of an answer say it to them . It’s ok to be human and slightly vulnerable 

do not diss your last employer or Anyones for that matter .

Fake sincerity . 

top man as Always James.

From the former TM now under a new guise of Robbie’s right hand man.

You seem like a guy who would be good to have a pint with. Thanks again mate 

Robbies right hand man

Thanks for everyone’s contribution. It really has been a major blow being made redundant but it’s only as from today and I have a payout (not a large amount). I’ve worked since I’ve been a bairn so desperately want this.

Has anyone got any questions likely to

be asked and some good generic answers that can fill into multiple question?

JKB shows that the majority of people are good guys. That’s why we’re Jambos I suppose 

7 minutes ago, Robbies right hand man said:

Thanks for everyone’s contribution. It really has been a major blow being made redundant but it’s only as from today and I have a payout (not a large amount). I’ve worked since I’ve been a bairn so desperately want this.

Has anyone got any questions likely to

be asked and some good generic answers that can fill into multiple question?

JKB shows that the majority of people are good guys. That’s why we’re Jambos I suppose 

I find it hard to advise when I don't know the specifics, and in particular I'm used to advising people on interviews for senior management roles, but here are some generic questions that you'd think should be straightforward but I've often seen people flunk them.

Can you give us a summary of the main things you've achieved at work in the last X years?

OR, can you give us a summary of your career to date?

What's the toughest decision you've ever had to make in work?

What makes you a good X?  (e.g. manager, technician, communicator, decision-maker, motivator, planner)

How do you deal with setbacks? 

What's the first thing you'd do if we gave you the job? (good chance to show you've researched the role and/or the company; good chance for them to figure out if you haven't)

Why should we give you this job? 

Why do you want this job?

Read Brighton Jambo's post and the link he supplied again and again, by the way.  Sound advice all the way through it.

Also, depending on the job the "learning" question might be very important.  It usually follows on from the R in "STAR".  The R is the result, but by extension the next question is something like:

- what did you learn from that experience?

- how would that experience benefit you in this job /  this company?

- if you had the chance to do that again, would you do anything differently?

It can also be a more general question about how the experience you've had to date would be of use in this job / this company.

Robbies right hand man
8 hours ago, Sirudi said:

Get on the internet and try and do some homework on the company/ job.

Make sure you have some questions to ask at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions. Nothing worse than a “no”.
Keep them centred on the job, such as “what are the promotion prospects”,  and not along the lines of “how many holidays do I get”. 

I personally wouldn’t send a follow up email, but I would recommend at the end of the interview you thank them, look them in the eye and shake their hand. Always makes a good impression in my experience.

Good luck !

thanks mate 

Robbies right hand man
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I find it hard to advise when I don't know the specifics, and in particular I'm used to advising people on interviews for senior management roles, but here are some generic questions that you'd think should be straightforward but I've often seen people flunk them.

Can you give us a summary of the main things you've achieved at work in the last X years?

What makes you a good X?  (e.g. manager, technician, communicator, decision-maker, motivator, planner)

What's the first thing you'd do if we gave you the job? (good chance to show you've researched the role and/or the company; good chance for them to figure out if you haven't)

Read Brighton Jambo's post and the link he supplied again and again, by the way.  Sound advice all the way through it.

Also, depending on the job the "learning" question might be very important.  It usually follows on from the R in "STAR".  The R is the result, but by extension the next question is something like:

It can also be a more general question about how the experience you've had to date would be of use in this job / this company.

thanks for your advice mate 

Robbies right hand man

Again, thanks for your advice - it’s appreciated 

Robbies right hand man

that’s help hugely mate, thanks 

Robbies right hand man

cheers for your help mate 

Robbies right hand man

that’s a great help mate, thank you

Robbies right hand man

thanks buddy - that’s helped S all the advice has

Robbies right hand man

cheers mate

Robbies right hand man

thanks for your help. JKB can blreslly bring out the good guys 

Alex Kintner
5 hours ago, Robbies right hand man said:

top man as Always James.

TM?

highlandjambo3

I used to interview for jobs in a company I used to work for.

Make sure you know about the company your going to work for, and specifically the role you will fill.

When I did the “recruitment and selection” training I was a bit surprised at the interview process, the answer given is recorded (written down) and scored appropriately depending on the depth and content of the answer, highest score gets the job (more below).

1.  No more “ok tell us about yourself”.  This invites the interviewee to ramble on about themselves for god knows how long.  Most of the information has already been received on the written application.

2.  Some typical questions which could be thrown at you - How would you deal with a demanding customer.  How would you deal with a dispute with a colleague.  If a work colleague was doing something you felt was unsafe, what would you do.  If you were sent on a job but felt you didn’t have the necessary training or equipment, what you’ll you do?  etc….etc….

3.  Be prepared to give examples of questions you are asked and, put in a fair bit of detail I.e. how are your DIY skills?  Ok is not the answer, good is the answer followed up by something like “I built the fence around my garden/laid a patio/built a shed etc….don’t answer questions with just a yes or no.

4.  Finally (most important) don’t bum up your past.  If you’ve filled in an employment application with previous employment history prior to the interview, be mindful of what you say……an example that sticks with me during one selection session was person who was previously an aircraft engineer who was made redundant, his previous salary was £58k but he was applying for a much lesser job at £18k.  He wasn’t selected for *interview as it was deemed our job offer would only be a stepping stone for him to move on when a better job appeared.  Getting someone in the door to start on day one usually takes about 4-5 months……..HR don’t want to be forking out for recruitment to often.

* IMO I believe this is a common selection process but, you won’t find anything written down or many managers admitting to it though.  The issue is always thrashed out on training seminars with HR insisting that all potential employees have a fair crack, they couldn’t really say anything else though could they.  My self and other managers looking at each other know differently, we’re the people that need to manage our teams for the 4-5 months that we are short staffed.

Edited by highlandjambo3

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Robbies right hand man said:

top man as Always James.

👍👍 anytime . Good luck 

A 'straight' mate of mine told one interviewer he was gay & was offered the job under his employer equality policy. 

Edited by Marvin

JudyJudyJudy
57 minutes ago, Marvin said:

A 'straight' mate of mine told one interviewer he was gay & was offered the job under his employer equality policy. 

Sounds like a classic urban myth 😨wrong on so many levels 

C21E4C1C-F833-4AE5-9B92-5812502B2EA3.gif

A couple that havent been mentioned yet as far as I can see that have worked well for me: 

Enquire about what the process looks like after this interview, next steps, further interviews etc. It'll help put your mind at ease in what to expect and prepare for next. It also shows that youre actively invested in the process rather than going through the motions. 

This can be uncomfortable for some, but try ask the interviewer if they have any reservations or further questions about your fit for the role or experience. Explain that you don't want to leave the interview without having the opportunity to clear up anything they may be unsure about. Firstly it means you can address head on any reservations they may have about moving you forward, secondly you'll probably get some insight into how the interviewer felt you've done. 

Edited by studo

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

A guy I work with just done the opposite saying he was straight when he's really obviously gay, he got the job and I'm sure it will be a shock when he trys it on with everyone :D

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, Herbert said:

A guy I work with just done the opposite saying he was straight when he's really obviously gay, he got the job and I'm sure it will be a shock when he trys it on with everyone :D

Obviously gay  “ “ trys it on with everyone “ …… 

6515EF75-C34B-4391-B320-DED06C7ADFDF.gif

Edited by JamesM48

Seymour M Hersh
15 hours ago, jonesy said:

Have Qs prepped so when they ask you if you have any, you won't look like a bumbling fool.

That's a good one. Take them in written down on an A4 pad (if you have an A4 presentation folder then even better) and when they come to the inevitable have you got any questions for us open the pad and say yes I have. If they have covered all your questions (probably won't but..) then just say as you can see I had questions but I am glad to say you have covered them. It shows interest in them as a company and someone keen as jonseys says to prepare for the IV. 

Never ask about salary, benefits or holidays. If they ask what you are looking for then say obviously money is important and I will consider your best offer. Never give them a range as guess where they'll go? 

Another question I always suggested candidates ask towards the end is to ask them what it was about the company that attracted them to join it? 

Good eye contact is an absolute must. And if here is a panel bring them all into the conversation by looking at them all as you answer questions. 

At the end of the interview thank them all for taking the time to meet with you and say you look forward to hearing from them. Don't waffle on and feel you have to continue chatting. 

As an aside people will tend to do more research and put more time and effort into organising a weekend away than an interview. Find out all you can about them and the people you are meeting if possible.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh