The King

Alex Kintner

Alex Kintner

Went to see a tribute act last night and reminded me how much I love Elvis.

He shared a few interesting factoids that I wasn’t aware of before:

-In The Ghetto was originally called The Vicious Circle but they didn’t think the public would like the name.

-The movie Love Me Tender was originally called Reno Brothers but changed due to the success of Presley’s song which featured on the soundtrack

-Elvis was devastated by the death of Martin Luther King.  “If I Can Dream” is a tribute to MLK and Elvis was so moved by it he stated: “I’m never going to sing another song I don’t believe in. I’m never going to make another movie I don’t believe in.” And he never did.

If any Elvis fans are looking to go see a really good tribute act then would definitely recommend this guy (Rob Kingsley). Show is called A Vision of Elvis.

image.jpeg.24bfe066ca2f541c148544073bfea206.jpeg

Edited by Alex Kintner

15 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

-In The Ghetto was originally called The Vicious Circle but they didn’t think the public would like the name.

-The movie Love Me Tender was originally called Reno Brothers but changed due to the success of Presley’s song which featured on the soundtrack

-Elvis was devastated by the death of Martin Luther King.  “If I Can Dream” is a tribute to MLK and Elvis was so moved by it he stated: “I’m never going to sing another song I don’t believe in. I’m never going to make another movie I don’t believe in.” And he never did.

If any Elvis fans are looking to go see a really good tribute act then would definitely recommend this guy (Rob Kingsley). Show is called A Vision of Elvis.

Is that the dude fi the Pans?

Alex Kintner
28 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Is that the dude fi the Pans?

Yeah. Former soldier who fought in the Gulf too. Had a few of his ex-squaddies there as guests last night. 👍🏻

My wee cousin is a backing singer for an Elvis tribute act, been to see them a few times and it's always been a cracking night.

Wife is going on Saturday(Brunton Hall?) with some of her pals. They have been going to see him for the last couple of years and have always raved about him.

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

Yeah. Former soldier who fought in the Gulf too. Had a few of his ex-squaddies there as guests last night. 👍🏻

My auld mum (who's 90 this year) loves Elvis. Shes going to an Elvis show at the Musselburgh Brunton Hall. Not sure when though. Was this the one you are talking about?

Edited by Pans Jambo

I'm going tomorrow. Quite looking forward to it but was a bit hesitant as to how good he was compared to others I've seen such as Doug Church, Shawn Klush etc. 

Glad to hear it's a good show! 

Interesting facts Alex.

Another couple of facts about his 50s films..... 

Loving You - Elvis' parents are in the audience at his final performance in the movie. He never watched the film again after his mother died. 

King Creole was originally written for James Dean and the main character was meant to be a boxer, but it was rewritten for Elvis after James Dean's death. 

Alex Kintner
30 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

I'm going tomorrow. Quite looking forward to it but was a bit hesitant as to how good he was compared to others I've seen such as Doug Church, Shawn Klush etc. 

Interesting facts Alex.

Loving You - Elvis' parents are in the audience at his final performance in the movie. He never watched the film again after his mother died. 

King Creole was originally written for James Dean and the main character was meant to be a boxer, but it was rewritten for Elvis after James Dean's death. 

Interesting 👍🏻

He had a couple of issues with the sound first couple of songs but once he got it sorted he was excellent. Couple of songs I’d never heard before too.

36 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

Interesting facts Alex.

now I will need to watch Loving You again never knew this fact 

8 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Wife's Elvis daft. We're going tonight at the pavilion in Glasgow. 

Seen a few over the years and he'll have to be damn good to better Ben Portsmouth.. 

Looking FWD to it,.. I act all "FFS Elvis again" but not seen a bad one yet.. 

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Seen a few over the years and he'll have to be damn good to better Ben Portsmouth.. 

Enjoy buddy. You won’t be disappointed 👍🏻

9 hours ago, cookieboy said:

now I will need to watch Loving You again never knew this fact 

He looks at her as he's dancing in the aisle. I recall she's clapping enthusiastically, full of pride at her boy.....

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Enjoy buddy. You won’t be disappointed 👍🏻

He was pretty decent to be fair.. 

Glad we went since the Elvis weekend is out the question for a couple of years anyway. 

Givers her a wee fix! 😂😂

5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The real thing:

That entire show is incredible Ulysses. Possibly his greatest ever moment after years of mundane Hollywood movies. He's absolutely electric back to his rocking rebel 50s self but as a far superior experienced performer, impossible to tear your eyes away from. And if I can dream is one of the most perfect vocal performances of his career. Full of emotion and spine tingling. I genuinely don't think anyone could ever top that vocal....perfection.

5 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Enjoy! Ben Portsomouth is superb as well, one of the best, but there's room for others too 👌 

9 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

That entire show is incredible Ulysses. Possibly his greatest ever moment after years of mundane Hollywood movies. He's absolutely electric back to his rocking rebel 50s self but as a far superior experienced performer, impossible to tear your eyes away from. And if I can dream is one of the most perfect vocal performances of his career. Full of emotion and spine tingling. I genuinely don't think anyone could ever top that vocal....perfection.

Not going to argue with a single word of that.

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The King was Willie Bauld.

Of course.  But Elvis Presley was the King.

Here's one of the two songs we played at my mother's funeral.  She loved Elvis and his music.

I’m a bit of a part time Elvia fan and love a lot of his stuff but don’t listen to it often. What’s sometimes overlooked is that if you watch the “Fat Elvis” stuff from Vegas the backing band are absolutely stunning. There’s the famous version of Always On My Mind and the playing on it is on a different level. The bass player is almost playing a solo all the way through it. 

Auld Reekin'

I love Mystery Train - absolutely spine-tingling and one of the best rock'n'roll / rock / popular music songs ever - and much of the other Sun Sessions and Million Dollar Quartet stuff, but there was a 10+ year hiatus after that where it all turned to shit. He got his act together again from '67 - '72-ish, but that was about it.

p.s. Colonel Tom was an erse.

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m a bit of a part time Elvia fan and love a lot of his stuff but don’t listen to it often. What’s sometimes overlooked is that if you watch the “Fat Elvis” stuff from Vegas the backing band are absolutely stunning. There’s the famous version of Always On My Mind and the playing on it is on a different level. The bass player is almost playing a solo all the way through it. 

Of course I meant Suspicious Minds. I was on the bus getting annoyed by teenagers when I posted so didn’t proof read. 

JudyJudyJudy

He really was just incredible . Velvet , soft voice but also a rocker. Beautiful inside and out. Tragic end really for such a talented man . 

trivia question . What links Elvis and Judy Garland ? Despite being outstanding talents obviously 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

The Ace was John Robertson.

The Prince was Rudi Skacel.

And the Princess is i8.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

The Ace was John Robertson.

The Prince was Rudi Skacel.

Who’s the queen like ? 

4064D47F-D0C7-4B22-96C1-9ABCCC1EF99A.gif

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

trivia question . What links Elvis and Judy Garland ? Despite being outstanding talents obviously 

Complete late life dependence on uppers and downers to function. 

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He really was just incredible . Velvet , soft voice but also a rocker. Beautiful inside and out. Tragic end really for such a talented man . 

Love child is Alex Kintner ?

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Of course.  But Elvis Presley was the King.

Here's one of the two songs we played at my mother's funeral.  She loved Elvis and his music.

Beautiful Ulysses. Music inspires such emotion and Elvis fans in particular really connect with his music at a personal level. Always in my mind is my favourite Elvis track ever. Though I was at a friend's dad's funeral recently and listening to the elvis version of you'll never walk alone was very emotional in the context of the situation. 

26 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think his vocal talents are often underestimated, depicting him as much of an image as a great vocalist. He had an admirable range from high to low.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

What is also interesting is that the 'Fat Elvis' stuff people talk about is when he's 12 stone rocking it in a ridiculously tight jumpsuit. His band were amazing. Met them a few years ago and they are all brilliant musicians and the dynamic they had with Elvis was second nature. Unfortunately that became an issue as later on in the 70s the rehearsals were non existent but they were a huge part of the sound and the show. 

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think his vocal talents are often underestimated, depicting him as much of an image as a great vocalist. He had an admirable range from high to low.

The image became more powerful than the voice in the end. But he did have an incredible range. I read it was greater than Roy orbison for example because Elvis could work better at lower octaves. More importantly though was the delivery. I recall Tom Jones saying he would have loved to have got elvis on stage in Vegas with him so he could out sing him, but it would have been a grim thing to see. There's more to singing than hitting the biggest notes, and Elvis at his best understood that and his ability to go between low and high was one of his strengths

25 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Unfortunately I think there dependencies were fairly early in the lives... 

37 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You are now my favorite person on this site. Lovely words. 

Plus Marlon Brando is imho the greatest actor we've ever had the privilege to witness 👍

Tbh his vegas years are, imo, his best. 

Actually at tonight's show heard as song I'd never heard before.. pocketful full of rainbows. Brilliant.. 

Looking FWD to getting home Sunday to whack it on YouTube . 👍🕺🍺🎶

4 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Tbh his vegas years are, imo, his best. 

Actually at tonight's show heard as song I'd never heard before.. pocketful full of rainbows. Brilliant.. 

Looking FWD to getting home Sunday to whack it on YouTube . 👍🕺🍺🎶

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELaILNtgIGk&t=91s

Its a lovely song when his vocal abilities were at his peak.  Plus Juliet Prowse (who was engaged to Sinatra but was fooling around with Elvis) was incredibly pretty.  One of Elvis' better 60s movies though I can understand why John Lennon who loved the Elvis rock and roll rebel image hated it!

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Wasn’t the answer Im thinking 

35 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Love child is Alex Kintner ?

Not that I am aware of ? 

15 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

The image became more powerful than the voice in the end. But he did have an incredible range. I read it was greater than Roy orbison for example because Elvis could work better at lower octaves. More importantly though was the delivery. I recall Tom Jones saying he would have loved to have got elvis on stage in Vegas with him so he could out sing him, but it would have been a grim thing to see. There's more to singing than hitting the biggest notes, and Elvis at his best understood that and his ability to go between low and high was one of his strengths

Wow Roy Orbison had an incredible voice . 

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

You are now my favorite person on this site. Lovely words. 

Plus Marlon Brando is imho the greatest actor we've ever had the privilege to witness 👍

309964A0-0960-47BA-8837-80F0721B796A.gif

Jambo_jim2001
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Roy Orbison had an incredible voice . 

Loved him in the traveling wilburys😎😎 but Elvis❤️❤️❤️

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Loved him in the traveling wilburys😎😎 but Elvis❤️❤️❤️

Liber them too . Yes elvis was just magical , only starting to

appreciate him in my 20s when my flat mate was a fan and had his records on . My favourite song of his is “ bridge over troubled waters “ 

2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Is it 2024 when his second post mortem results are made public?

No idea but my understanding is that polypharmacy was the most likely cause. The magnitude of prescription drugs elvis was taking was very high and the interacting effects would have been very hard to interpret. Elvis thought himself to be intelligent in the effects of drugs but he wasn't qualified to understand the interactions of one drug from another. I don't think it changes the fact that he was very dependent on pills and regardless.of the official cause of death his drug habit was ultimately his undoing