Nicola Sturgeon apologises to witches

GinRummy

Alex Kintner
10 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If the actions are long since past, and none of the victim's families are still alive, one has to wonder at the reason for an apology.  It seems pointless to me.

Justin Trudeau is good at it.

From what I’ve read it was in response to a petition sent to the parliament so it must be quite an important issue to that group.

It’s also important to point out it wasn’t a speech about the persecution of witches. It was a speech about International Women’s Day which included a small section on it. 

She gave three reasons for mentioning it:

1. Injustice, no matter how long ago, should be addressed and she gave the example of the parliament apologising to men convicted of homosexuality before it was legalised.

2. Women and girls in the world today are still facing persecution and murder due to alleged witchcraft.

3. The underlying issue behind the persecution of alleged witches was misogyny and misogyny is still very much an issue in Scotland in 2022.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• JudyJudyJudy

• GinRummy

• Lord Montpelier

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Marvin said:

What  next? Is The Queen going to apologise for the Imprisonment of Mary Stuart? 

You're half-right.  If there's going to be an apology it should come from the Queen, because it was her ancestor (James VI) who authorised the verse at Genesis 22:18, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live".

5 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

From what I’ve read it was in response to a petition sent to the parliament so it must be quite an important issue to that group.

It’s also important to point out it wasn’t a speech about the persecution of witches. It was a speech about International Women’s Day which included a small section on it. 

She gave three reasons for mentioning it:

1. Injustice, no matter how long ago, should be addressed and she gave the example of the parliament apologising to men convicted of homosexuality before it was legalised.

2. Women and girls in the world today are still facing persecution and murder due to alleged witchcraft.

3. The underlying issue behind the persecution of alleged witches was misogyny and misogyny is still very much an issue in Scotland in 2022.

Fair enough.  Thanks for the clarification.  :thumb:

Now that I've read the context, it sounds like a very good speech.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Fair enough.  Thanks for the clarification.  :thumb:

Now that I've read the context, it sounds like a very good speech.

It was a good speech. 👍🏻

Certain parts of the media pulled out one part of it in order to create some sensational headlines. The easily influenced and the misogynists lapped it up and jumped on board. 

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

If the actions are long since past, and none of the victim's families are still alive, one has to wonder at the reason for an apology.  It seems pointless to me.

Justin Trudeau is good at it.

"Pleasing all of the people, all of the time", you mean?

I actually liked his auld man, but he is the furthest thing imaginable from the proverbial chip off the old block. If he wiz chocolate I do believe he'd munch on himself.

An apology to the families of those elderly people she sent to their deaths in care homes at the start of the coronavirus outbreak might be a bit more meaningful. Still, I'm sure the eventual apology 500 years from now will be well received.

Lord Montpelier
9 minutes ago, Darren said:

An apology to the families of those elderly people she sent to their deaths in care homes at the start of the coronavirus outbreak might be a bit more meaningful. Still, I'm sure the eventual apology 500 years from now will be well received.

That will be Westminsters fault and has absolutely nothing to do with Sturgeon or her chain smoking communist sidekick in charge of health, Jeane Freeman. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

That will be Westminsters fault and has absolutely nothing to do with Sturgeon or her chain smoking communist sidekick in charge of health, Jeane Freeman. 

Eh actually she has accepted responsibility for this. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/nicola-sturgeon-apologises-after-109-23927487

Despite following Westminster's lead on it: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-covid-response-select-committee-hearing-1019703

Lord Montpelier
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Will be interesting to see if this extends to legal responsibility in a criminal trial.

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Oh remember her . Scotlands own Dot Cotton