Weather

ri Alban

Malinga the Swinga

The weather in Scotland, by and large, is shite. 

Never more than a day away from a gale or rain, regardless of what month we are in.

It is ****ing depressing if you want to get out and about or work outside.

Conversely, we have plenty water, farmland getting water it needs and wind farms doing well.

Every cloud and that.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

About 8 years ago I was in Edinburgh for a week in March.  The weather was awful; rain, sleet and high winds every day.  Although our Ontario winters are cold and snowy, we also get a lot of blue skies and sunshine, which I much prefer to the dark, driech Edinburgh winters.

I'll hopefully see these Canadian blue skies when I retire. 👍 That's if the weather in Scotland doesn't put me in an early box.

At least we don't really get extreme events such as hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, wildfires, volcanic eruptions, dust storms or droughts. I'd rather put up with it being a bit dreich than get any of those tbh.

Edited by Ray Gin

56 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

At least we don't really get extreme events such as hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, wildfires, volcanic eruptions, dust storms or droughts. I'd rather put up with it being a bit dreich than get any of those tbh.

What I’d do for a drought right now . 

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Same here.  January and February have been cold and snowy, much more so than usual, and it's getting me down.

If Hearts were playing better I probably wouldn't mind as much.  

Ours has been bad, then last week we had a respite with warm temps and sunshine, back to well below zero temps and threats of snow or rain. nI can usually having spent most of my life for one reason or another outdoors can handle what is seasonal, but this totally  disparate temperatures and climate is soul destroying.

On 22/02/2022 at 14:17, Cade said:

All the rain keeps things nice and green. Scotland is a fertile place.

Fresh water is already a hugely traded commodity on the world markets, and Scotland could do with getting in on the action instead of just letting it flow back into the sea.

The storms are showing just how badly councils have performed in terms of tree maintenance. Well maintained trees don't blow over. Overgrown ones do.

Strom Arwen was so brutal it levelled a lot of trees across John Muir Country Park. The storm also devastated the seal pupping season, killing over 1000 pups. I know it was an exceptional storm but the weather really hasn't relented much since December. 

Edited by Gizmo

I love the Scottish weather. I like that we have relatively mild winters and relatively mild summers. I dont like it too hot or too cold. Summer in Scotland is lovely and fresh.  

It's been mild this winter but the wind and rain last few weeks is really starting to get to me though.

Not had to scrape my windscreen too much compared to most years which is a bonus :jjyay:

Jambo_jim2001
23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I love the Scottish weather. I like that we have relatively mild winters and relatively mild summers. I dont like it too hot or too cold. Summer in Scotland is lovely and fresh.  

Till the midges come out😳😳

1 hour ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Till the midges come out😳😳

Oh that’s true horrible wee things 

12 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

love it, up at 6 to get all the snow of my car, hoping the roads have been gritted, 😏.

roll on summer.

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Great, scaffolding covered in snow, which hides the level change of the hop-ups. :yadayada:

Take care.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Take care.

:thumb: I've just given up the ghost, laying membrane, then 2 seconds later, it's blanketed in snaw. Feck it .

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:thumb: I've just given up the ghost, laying membrane, then 2 seconds later, it's blanketed in snaw. Feck it .

👍

Салатные палочки

What a difference today. Beautiful day. Amazing the affect it has on your mood. 

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Just had a 1 hour walk.

First time for a while and it certainly lifts the mood.

I got up this morning and went towards the window and felt warmth coming through the blinds.  I had to put my hand down onto my radiator to convince myself I hadn't left my heating on!

On 27/02/2022 at 09:03, Salad Fingers said:

aye and back to reality today, the joys.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it's finally going to thaw out.  Seems to have been one mother ****er of a long,  cold,  miserable winter.

Can't wait until late November but.  :(

Nucky Thompson

Some us managed to get a couple of weeks of sun in the Canaries to break up the cold, dark Winter.

Glad we're getting an early start to the decent Spring weather.

Bring it on

10 hours ago, Victorian said:

Looks like it's finally going to thaw out.  Seems to have been one mother ****er of a long,  cold,  miserable winter.

Can't wait until late November but.  :(

It's back next week.  🥶