*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

As you correctly stated that's a minimum. We get to 3rd and guaranteed european group competition we will need more than that and doesn't account for anyone leaving that we may not expect to leave.

Does look like quite a big turnaround of players in the summer.

Yeah... 5 of them are loans, so they're always going to need changed. I think we still need about 3 windows until we have a 'settled' squad whereby we're only changing 3/4 players per season.

Also worth remembering that loans are only stop-gaps where our primary targets fell thorough (more often than not.) We're definitely going in the right direction but a few windows still required IMO.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Are you sure about the highlighted part?

The minimumm we need is

A (2nd) keeper

LWB

2 x CDs

1 AMF

I striker

1 out and out winger

That is 7 new players.

JS entered the building just over 12 months ago and , off the top of my head,we have signed

Ginnelly, Beni, McKay,McEneff, Devlin, Atkinson,Woodburn, Simms, Cochrane, Stewart (extended),Sibbick, Moore, Gnando, Kastaneer.  If that's not a rebuild it is getting very close and IMO we still need 7!

I'm not claiming there isn't a need to make some changes, but I think this squad is there to be built on rather than clearing the decks (for example the Cathro January whatever the **** that was :D )

However, I do acknowledge there is a few more transfers more than I thought there was. 

I think another thing worth noting is that attracting players of any note to play in the Scottish Championship is kinda hard so the dross we got was simply to do a job (Kastaneer, Gnando, Frear, Roberts). Short term fixes. 

I'm entirely confident we will come out of the summer with a much more reliable front 3 that will sort out our woes for next season.  Having the likes of Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley, Sibbick, Atkinson, Beni & Devlin tied up long term gives us a really solid base to build on. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I'm not claiming there isn't a need to make some changes, but I think this squad is there to be built on rather than clearing the decks (for example the Cathro January whatever the **** that was :D )

However, I do acknowledge there is a few more transfers more than I thought there was. 

I think another thing worth noting is that attracting players of any note to play in the Scottish Championship is kinda hard so the dross we got was simply to do a job (Kastaneer, Gnando, Frear, Roberts). Short term fixes. 

I'm entirely confident we will come out of the summer with a much more reliable front 3 that will sort out our woes for next season.  Having the likes of Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley, Sibbick, Atkinson, Beni & Devlin tied up long term gives us a really solid base to build on. 

But you did seem to be claiming we would not need a big turnover like in the past!

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

But you did seem to be claiming we would not need a big turnover like in the past!

Which is true. We were essentially signing a new team every window. Now we have a fairly settled team just need to make a few tweaks here and there. Theres a few more than I initially realise (like the need to get an actual 2nd choice keeper)

44 minutes ago, OTT said:

Which is true. We were essentially signing a new team every window. Now we have a fairly settled team just need to make a few tweaks here and there. Theres a few more than I initially realise (like the need to get an actual 2nd choice keeper)

Following admin we were left with virtually no players and little money.

We acquired players who were as good as our budget allowed: inevitably some were sub standard and we tried to improve on them each year.  What else could/should we have done?  That is in the past but some people won't leave it there.

Now we are bit wealthier, we are still trying improve year on year but continue to sign players who fail

eg

Kastaneer and Gnando - been and gone

McEneff hardly ever plays

Woodburn makes little impact

Stewart.........

Moore and Cochrane have recently had their shortcomings brought into focus.

Now with your desire for a small turnover in the summer can you give some idea of who you would keep and who needs replaced.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Add to your viewpoint the fact that some players who were on longer contracts which are coming to an end may not have those renewed which adds to the new players required.

The Club now have a strategy of signing younger players who still have the capability to develop which may well give us an income if they attract interest and are sold on.

We have about half a decent team now and need to replace Souttar and bring in the other half with better than we have or had.

I would like us to try and carry more of an attacking threat through the centre of the pitch. We rely very heavily on wide players to create and attack. If teams want to stop us they just need to stop our wide men because they know there is not a huge threat through the middle. Maybe next season we will see a change of formation.

Bazzas right boot

I actually think this could be the biggest transfer window in a while in terms of how we move on. 

In the championship and on promotion we'd have limited options, if we get 3rd and guaranteed European football then we are more attractive financially and from a football point of view. 

The loaning of so many players has it's pitfalls, but one of the positives is that you aren't stuck with players if they are not good enough or in our case next season we find ourselves able to pick from better players as our team has performed better than first thought. 

We'll also need a bigger squad so guys like Gino, Halliday, GMS might be useful but we will need to replace who is leaving with better so the whole squad should be better next season. 

3rd and European football is key to this upgrade tho. 

Going with at least 

Lb

2x Ch

2x mid

1x wide player

2x forwards ( Simms might be one of them)

Could be more tho. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I would like us to try and carry more of an attacking threat through the centre of the pitch. We rely very heavily on wide players to create and attack. If teams want to stop us they just need to stop our wide men because they know there is not a huge threat through the middle. Maybe next season we will see a change of formation.

Agreed, I think we’ll see a couple  of midfielders brought in that will bring a bit more threat. 

bringonthesevco
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agreed, I think we’ll see a couple  of midfielders brought in that will bring a bit more threat. 

The formation piece is the big question - we definitely need more of a goal threat from central midfielder, but assuming we're sticking with 3 at the back (new CB required), Atkinson and RWB and New Signing/Cochrane at LWB.  We're then left with 2 "midfielders" who have to offer defensive protection - those 2 midfielders are currently 2 of Beni/Devlin/Haring - If we sign 2 new midfielders are we dropping all of them ??

The other option is to just go to 2 "Up Front" - so we'd line up with

Gordon

Sibbick - Halkett - Kingsley

Atkinson - Devlin - New Attacking Midfielder - Beni - New WB/ Cochrane

McKay A.N.Other (or Boyce)

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

The formation piece is the big question - we definitely need more of a goal threat from central midfielder, but assuming we're sticking with 3 at the back (new CB required), Atkinson and RWB and New Signing/Cochrane at LWB.  We're then left with 2 "midfielders" who have to offer defensive protection - those 2 midfielders are currently 2 of Beni/Devlin/Haring - If we sign 2 new midfielders are we dropping all of them ??

Gordon

2 up front is generally dead Tbh. 

I like the 343. 

You need good midfielders tho. 

Beni I think wil be partnered by another. Hopefully a Djoum type. 

Devlin and an other to rotate. 

We need 4  midfielders imo

We have 1 good one. 

1 decent one that can do a lot of leg work. 

We need another 2.

( assuming Haring leaves and McEneff leaves or is used as he is atm)

Even right now, during this poor run we are creating, being clinical is the problem. 

I see no need to rip everything up. 

32 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

Gordon

Quite like these who do we keep type posts. I like Cochrane but even if he stays we need a new LWB to compete for a place. Also think Smith will be a better option at RCB. 

bringonthesevco
17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Quite like these who do we keep type posts. I like Cochrane but even if he stays we need a new LWB to compete for a place. Also think Smith will be a better option at RCB. 

Who would be your first choice 11 then ?  You've got Cochrane or a new Left WB.  Presumably you've got Kingsley in at LCB.  Smith in at RCB - so who isn't getting a game Halkett (brilliant this season) or Sibbick that we've just paid a reasonable fee for and have been chasing for ages ??

1st Game of the Season - Everyone is fit - Who's playing ?

10 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

Who would be your first choice 11 then ?  You've got Cochrane or a new Left WB.  Presumably you've got Kingsley in at LCB.  Smith in at RCB - so who isn't getting a game Halkett (brilliant this season) or Sibbick that we've just paid a reasonable fee for and have been chasing for ages ??

😀 put me on the spot. 

I’ll stick to 3-4-3 for now.

ideally, Gordon, Smith, Halkett, new LCB - Atkinson, Beni or Devlin, new CM, Kingsley - McKay, new or Simms if he can extend, new.

Sibbick got a bit of improvement to show before he’s a starter for me, Beni and Devlin too similar, don’t want to lose Boyce altogether but think we need a faster centre forward and the wide players, other than McKay just haven’t been good enough. 

14 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

Whilst its good from a footballing sense i think Smith and Kingsley at centre back leaves us only Halkett who is genuinely good in the air,

and pretty short of aerial ability throughout the team. I think Sibbick has been brought in to replace Soutar at RWB in the longer term,and give us more height at the back.

bringonthesevco
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Whilst its good from a footballing sense i think Smith and Kingsley at centre back leaves us only Halkett who is genuinely good in the air,

and pretty short of aerial ability throughout the team. I think Sibbick has been brought in to replace Soutar at RWB in the longer term,and give us more height at the back.

Think you've quoted the wrong post 🙂

I've got Sibbick in my team at RCB (I assume you mean RCB and not RWB) 

4 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

Think you've quoted the wrong post 🙂

I've got Sibbick in my team at RCB (I assume you mean RCB and not RWB) 

Your post says Smith at RCB and Kingsley at LCB 

Presumably you've got Kingsley in at LCB.  Smith in at RCB "

bringonthesevco
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Your post says Smith at RCB and Kingsley at LCB 

Presumably you've got Kingsley in at LCB.  Smith in at RCB "

Yes I'm saying to another poster "presumably you have got Kingsley in at LCB .  Smith in at RCB"

my post says 

Gordon

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think quite a bit of pressure needs to be on Beni and Devlin. They’re awesome at winning the ball back and retaining it but 9/10 their passes go back the way. 

Neilsons hinted at this being a recent problem but it’s been going on all season. I would like to see both look for the forward ball first. Even if it’s speculative. We’re taking no risks and it’s not netting us much in the way of rewards. Yes 3rd is great, but the sides below us are all taking points off each other every other week. We can do better 100% and that isn’t pissing on the hard work that’s gone in up to this point. The lads are doing great, we just need to see a little bit more in an attacking sense. 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think quite a bit of pressure needs to be on Beni and Devlin. They’re awesome at winning the ball back and retaining it but 9/10 their passes go back the way. 

Neilsons hinted at this being a recent problem but it’s been going on all season. I would like to see both look for the forward ball first. Even if it’s speculative. We’re taking no risks and it’s not netting us much in the way of rewards. Yes 3rd is great, but the sides below us are all taking points off each other every other week. We can do better 100% and that isn’t pissing on the hard work that’s gone in up to this point. The lads are doing great, we just need to see a little bit more in an attacking sense. 

I do not really agree about Baningime. I think he is a cracking wee player but he is still getting up to speed after his injury lay off. I think he was passing forward quite a lot before he got injured. I think Devlin has brilliant movement and positioning but i think that when he tackles the ball could go anywhere and that this isn't always as useful for his team mates.

3 hours ago, bringonthesevco said:

Front" - so we'd line up with

Gordon

Ah ok

read it as a statement rather than a question 👍

5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Some Bodo/Glimt players please!

Been saying for a while that there are some absolute gems in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Along with the Austrian and Swiss leagues, these are places we really should be looking. 

Does anyone think Sibbick could have a future for us in midfield ? I think this guy has a lot more to offer and playing him in defence has been a needs must thing with Halkett out. He could be more effective higher up the park.

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Been saying for a while that there are some absolute gems in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Along with the Austrian and Swiss leagues, these are places we really should be looking. 

Couldn’t agree more 

16 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Does anyone think Sibbick could have a future for us in midfield ? I think this guy has a lot more to offer and playing him in defence has been a needs must thing with Halkett out. He could be more effective higher up the park.

I mentioned this earlier in the week. When Halkett returns he gives us another central midfield option. 

3 minutes ago, JamboPete said:

Elijah Adebayo out of contract in the summer. Wouldn’t be surprised if we are back in for him.

I think his ambitions might be higher than us now but you never know. 

We need 2 players in each position imo (especially if we get group stage in Europe) so assuming we stick with a 3-4-3, assuming we lose Haring (tho I wish we weren’t), assuming we resign Simms on loan and assuming we offer Cochrane a contract we have the following:

1st.                   Gordon                                             2nd.                           Stewart

Xxxx      Halkett     Kingsley                                               Sibbick    Xxxx      Xxxx

Natty         Beni          Xxxx        Xxxx                                 Smith        Cammy     XxxX    Cochrane

McKay    Simms    Xxxx                                                       Gino      Boyce   Xxxx

So I recon we require a quality centre back plus 2 squad centre backs (or 1 plus Smith also covering second), a quality box to box midfielder plus back up, a quality left wing back (or quality LCB if we moved Kingsley back to LWB) and a quality attacker plus back up - so 8 players or 7 if Smith covers both backup RWB and RCB.

10 hours ago, gar jambo said:

What has happened to young alex Cochrane I think he has totally went backwards and won't extend his loan period ‘ 

He is really not very great and if he thinks that he can really challenge for a starting place at Brighton then he is totally deluded.

He is far too one footed and that is why he tends to pass the ball backwards and sideways. He does not have the pace to go past defenders and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired.

As much as I thought at the start of the season that Savage had done well with his loan deals the more I see of them the more I will not be sorry to see the back of Woodburn, Taylor Moore and Cochrane.

The core of our team at the moment is 

Gordon

Smith

Atkinson

Halkett

Sibbick

Kingsley

Beni

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

The others who are in the squad but the jury is still out on for me at least is

Stewart

McEneff

Ginnelly

GMS

Haring

Halliday

So we have 10 first team players that I think are the core of our squad with six that only Robbie and Savage will know what the future holds for them. Before anyone points this out I am aware that some of these players are still under contract but that doesn't mean we will want to keep them.

So Joe Savage still has a hell of a lot of work to do with 4 loan signings to replace as well as the 6 above to consider their futures.

Hopefully he has already started the process and have targets in mind.

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He is really not very great and if he thinks that he can really challenge for a starting place at Brighton then he is totally deluded.

He is far too one footed and that is why he tends to pass the ball backwards and sideways. He does not have the pace to go past defenders and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired.

As much as I thought at the start of the season that Savage had done well with his loan deals the more I see of them the more I will not be sorry to see the back of Woodburn, Taylor Moore and Cochrane.

Gordon

Smith

Atkinson

Halkett

Sibbick

Kingsley

Beni

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

Stewart

McEneff

Ginnelly

GMS

Haring

Halliday

So we have 10 first team players that I think are the core of our squad with six that only Robbie and Savage will know what the future holds for them. Before anyone points this out I am aware that some of these players are still under contract but that doesn't mean we will want to keep them.

So Joe Savage still has a hell of a lot of work to do with 4 loan signings to replace as well as the 6 above to consider their futures.

I generally agree. 

I'd add that  the loan signings were/ are  a short term gap filler as we missed out on our preferred options or waiting for our preferred options. 

IMO it's  far better than signing 3rd or 4th choices on 2/3 year deals. 

It was our first season on promotion and the squad rebuild imo is at least a 2/3 year project. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I generally agree. 

I'd add that  the loan signings were/ are  a short term gap filler as we missed out on our preferred options or waiting for our preferred options. 

IMO it's  far better than signing 3rd or 4th choices on 2/3 year deals. 

It was our first season on promotion and the squad rebuild imo is at least a 2/3 year project. 

Yes you are probably correct and better not to go down the route that we followed in the past.

Hopefully we have targets and can get then signed this time rather than the loanee route.

There is nothing wrong with getting loan signings to fill the odd gap or maybe with a view to a permanent deal.

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes you are probably correct and better not to go down the route that we followed in the past.

Hopefully we have targets and can get then signed this time rather than the loanee route.

There is nothing wrong with getting loan signings to fill the odd gap or maybe with a view to a permanent deal.

Similar to how I feel about loans. A wee bit different if they have a chance of becoming permanent. 

Mostly just glad the seasoned pro’s and journeyman approach to signings is mostly over. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Similar to how I feel about loans. A wee bit different if they have a chance of becoming permanent. 

Mostly just glad the seasoned pro’s and journeyman approach to signings is mostly over. 

Me to. 👍

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Gordon

Smith

Atkinson

Halkett

Sibbick

Kingsley

Beni

Devlin

McKay

Boyce

Stewart

McEneff

Ginnelly

GMS

Haring

Halliday

I think we can take some comfort from the thought that, unless there's a dramatic upturn in one or more's contribution in the remaining months of the season, we won't be heartbroken at the departure of any of our current loanees.

34 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Nor if you don't have the money to fund a full transfer.

I think to be competing in the conference league, or pushing to win the play off to the Europa League, then we need to have McKay as one of our worst starting attacking player, not our best.

The current defensive midfield players, wing backs, and majority of the center of defence is good enough. We just need to score and create more. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Yeah and unlike journeymen the loannees are usually young, keen and eager to impress- us, other clubs, parent club) as opposed to just playing out time before coaches badges or retiring. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did not realise we were as far down the road to signing the boy who is training with us after being injured

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-two-new-signings-on-priority-list-for-specific-position-3598664

The former Doncaster United defender Joe Wright remains a possibility as he gradually regains fitness after serious knee and ankle injuries. He has been given an open offer to train at Riccarton and prove his fitness once he feels ready.

The Edinburgh club had agreed terms to sign Wright, 26, last May before he suffered the injuries in Doncaster’s final game of the season against Peterborough United.

He is a free agent as his Rovers contract expired last summer, at which point he was due to join Hearts for nothing. He will look to rebuild his career once he regains fitness.

23 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Going to be a very busy summer. 6/7 new signings.

Do you know this or do you just mean that is what it looks like from the newspapers things. I think we must need at least that if we make Europe.

johnking123

He wants a bigger squad for a European adventure. Especially for a group stages. 

He likes a squad of 18/19 outfield players normally.  But will be 22/23 next season.

Wonder if we’ll be signing a 2nd choice keeper? The polish lad at Livi looks really good but still has a year to run. I don’t really like the idea of having to rely on Ross Stewart tbh.

19 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

He wants a bigger squad for a European adventure. Especially for a group stages. 

He likes a squad of 18/19 outfield players normally.  But will be 22/23 next season.

Thanks

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Going to be a very busy summer. 6/7 new signings.

GK

CB x 2

LB

RM

LM

CAM

CF x 2

We need minimum of 9 imo.

Souttar, Moore, Cochrane, Haring, McEneff, Gino, GMS, Woodburn and Simms….all are either out of contract or not contributing enough to take us up a level.

johnking123
16 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

GK

CB x 2

LB

RM

LM

CAM

CF x 2

We need minimum of 9 imo.

Souttar, Moore, Cochrane, Haring, McEneff, Gino, GMS, Woodburn and Simms….all are either out of contract or not contributing enough to take us up a level.

GMS and Gino will be kept on. Remove right and left midfielder. We will keep one of the loan players. Will be central midfielder, not attacking.

The Apprentice
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Wonder if we’ll be signing a 2nd choice keeper? The polish lad at Livi looks really good but still has a year to run. I don’t really like the idea of having to rely on Ross Stewart tbh.

Not for me. He's had a few absolute clangers since he's been at Livi.

johnking123

Your not going to get a quality goalkeeper to sit and be second choice. Any number 2 is going to have flaws. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***