*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Howdy Doody Jambo

It's going to take the starting 11, 6-7  games to be match fit with team cohesion 

Robbie makes a very good point in not playing in the League Cup we are not up to the same level of competitive sharpness as our opponents , maybe his excuse but too late now but next year this should be addressed by maybe having more friendly games to get minutes in the legs as they say these days if we are in European competition as we are this season 

Fan's really need to give the players a chance and time to settle while joining a new club, not all new signings will hit the ground running, Flogel, Pressley and Hartley went on to be club legends and were terrific for us after a few tricky months to start with 

We were simply not good enough yesterday and the squad isn't good enough as yet to improve on last season and close the gap on Celtic and Rangers, patience will be key 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

50 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Last week he was Iniesta this week he’s Malury Martin. Fickle bunch

TBF, he had just shy of 90% pass accuracy against county and just over 60% against Hibs. 

Whilst  they were different games, that is some change. 

Is it fickle to notice?

MR INCREDIBLE
13 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

He wouldn't have come on because he's a forward? What on earth does that mean? Were we not allowed to bring forwards on?

It means that our manager would not bring on a forward as he s••t a brick and sent all defenders on!!!!!!

Keep with it old chap !

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, CMc said:

TBF, he had just shy of 90% pass accuracy against county and just over 60% against Hibs. 

Is it fickle to notice?

Not fickle just an eye opener for the lad. Had said during the week that he’d never played in a derby before. Perhaps the pace of it caught him out. I wouldn’t say he was terrible personally. He’s playing deeper until Devlin is fully fit I reckon. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

It means that our manager would not bring on a forward as he s••t a brick and sent all defenders on!!!!!!

Keep with it old chap !

To be fair if Sibbick hadn't been asleep we'd have won. That would have been 3 consecutive derby wins; one at Tynecastle, one at Hampden and one at Easter Road. Hearts looked the far better team yesterday and we will only get better as new recruits arrive and the new lads gel.

hmfc_liam06

If we move to the back 4 (which I think we should) then we don't need another CB.

I'd put all the resources we have into a CM and a forward.

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Not fickle just an eye opener for the lad. Had said during the week that he’d never played in a derby before. Perhaps the pace of it caught him out. I wouldn’t say he was terrible personally. He’s playing deeper until Devlin is fully fit I reckon. 

Yeah, I suspect his first Derby will have been an eye opener for him. (The Nottingham derby barely happens, right? And the two teams loan players to each other - must be a different vibe). 

A player with good technique repeatedly over-hitting corners possibly points to adrenaline. 

We know DM is not his best position. Hopefully Cammy gets back to 100% quickly. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If we move to the back 4 (which I think we should) then we don't need another CB.

Not sure i'd fancy a trip to Glasgow with Neilson and Sibbick at centre back if Halkett and Rowles were both out injured. Definitely want another option in there. We'll also not stick to the 4-2-3-1, we'll play different set ups for different games.

47 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Savage will know we’re still 2 or 3 away. 

Can already see Grant is wasted playing deeper. It’s literally the reason he said he had a bad season at Peterborough and yet we’re insisting on playing him there (at least until Devlin is fully fit). 

For me I reckon we need 4

ST

RM/RW (I’d be open to seeing Atkinson playing further forward)

CM

CB

Agree, Grant and Boyce should be sharing the number 10 role supporting Shankland. A fresh Grant replacing Boyce after 65-70 mins yesterday would have been ideal. 

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

But we then need a RB because Natty aint no defender and Smith has seen better days

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not sure i'd fancy a trip to Glasgow with Neilson and Sibbick at centre back if Halkett and Rowles were both out injured. Definitely want another option in there. We'll also not stick to the 4-2-3-1, we'll play different set ups for different games.

Have we sold Kingsley 😅

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Keep with it old chap !

Our forwards missed glaring chances, as a result of excellent tactics that created chances; If taken would not have required defensive reinforcement to match opposition throwing everything in.

Keep with it old chap :)

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

To be fair if Sibbick hadn't been asleep we'd have won. That would have been 3 consecutive derby wins; one at Tynecastle, one at Hampden and one at Easter Road. Hearts looked the far better team yesterday and we will only get better as new recruits arrive and the new lads gel.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but laying the blame at Sibbick’s feet alone is harsh. If McKay doesn’t try to be too fancy when through on goal we would’ve won, if the ball was more accurate for Shankland’s slide we would’ve won, if McKay took it first time or simply slotted it past Marshall we would’ve won or if we made the right personell changes we would’ve won. Sibbick was at fault for his ball watching for sure, but not a fan of making him a scapegoat in the last minute for a game the players and management should have had sewn up much earlier. 

Dick Dastardly
49 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Savage will know we’re still 2 or 3 away. 

Can already see Grant is wasted playing deeper. It’s literally the reason he said he had a bad season at Peterborough and yet we’re insisting on playing him there (at least until Devlin is fully fit). 

For me I reckon we need 4

ST

RM/RW (I’d be open to seeing Atkinson playing further forward)

CM

CB

I definitely think Atkinson would be better further forward. I'm just not sure if he has the defensive skills yet to be a starter in that position and that leaves us with Smith, and maybe Sibbick, in that position. 

I'd like us to sign a rwb as well as a rcb, cm and cf. I'm probably being greedy though

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Where I am at as well. Sibbick is a worry as cover, not seen Neilson play for Hearts yet, could Rowles move right as well. Left side very strong now with Kingsley still to return, in saying that where Hibs had some joy yesterday

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but laying the blame at Sibbick’s feet alone is harsh. If McKay doesn’t try to be too fancy when through on goal we would’ve won, if the ball was more accurate for Shankland’s slide we would’ve won, if McKay took it first time or simply slotted it past Marshall we would’ve won or if we made the right personell changes we would’ve won. Sibbick was at fault for his ball watching for sure, but not a fan of making him a scapegoat in the last minute for a game the players and management should have had sewn up much earlier. 

Halkett was primary culprit at their goal.  He just has to chum their winger to the bye line and make sure he doesn’t get a cross in. Instead he makes a weak, weak effort to challenge for the ball and loses out.  Don’t know what he was thinking about. 

22 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Keep with it old chap !

🤣

Got you now.

Sorry it took so long.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Halkett was primary culprit at their goal.  He just has to chum their winger to the bye line and make sure he doesn’t get a cross in. Instead he makes a weak, weak effort to challenge for the ball and loses out.  Don’t know what he was thinking about. 

He was evidently knackered and they were coming at us full pelt as they were encouraged to do. There’s about four players alone you can point the finger at in or around the box at the goal, but we should never have gotten to 90+5 with only a slender lead in the first place is my point. The game was there to be won and we blew it, on more than one occasion. I understand why their goal will be scrutinised more, but there’s multiple points in the second half where either we should’ve been at least 2-0 up or we could’ve changed things correctly to have more of a share of the ball and not be defending that slender lead so deep for so long. No one player should be made a scapegoat for yesterday.

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Where I am at as well. Sibbick is a worry as cover, not seen Neilson play for Hearts yet, could Rowles move right as well. Left side very strong now with Kingsley still to return, in saying that where Hibs had some joy yesterday

Hibs to their credit are very strong down the right, probably one of the strongest in the leagues outside the OF, Cadden is the one player I'd take from them.

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He was evidently knackered and they were coming at us full pelt as they were encouraged to do. There’s about four players alone you can point the finger at in or around the box at the goal, but we should never have gotten to 90+5 with only a slender lead in the first place is my point. The game was there to be won and we blew it, on more than one occasion. I understand why their goal will be scrutinised more, but there’s multiple points in the second half where either we should’ve been at least 2-0 up or we could’ve changed things correctly to have more of a share of the ball and not be defending that slender lead so deep for so long. No one player should be made a scapegoat for yesterday.

Spot on, the amount of times we failed the killer pass in the second half or blew it in front of goal. A second would have killed it, they were never recovering from that. The goal is a sickener, no doubt about it, we should have seen the time out and it was such a poor goal to lose. Halkett has to do better, he had a great game up to that point and bullied everyone he was up against. My worry when watching it was that he was going to give a penalty away. He just needs to stop the cross and it's game over. 

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hibs to their credit are very strong down the right, probably one of the strongest in the leagues outside the OF, Cadden is the one player I'd take from them.

He has decent delivery that's for sure and gets up the touchline well. They are so poor though which is the frustration for me. I'll be surprised if they make the top 6 this season, the boy they game MOM to was honking as well, never a centre forward and hardly got a look in. The boy Melkerson up front is as light as a feather and Halkett had no problem with him all game. As for Rocky at the back, he is awful and we should have played on him a lot more. 

Mr Elwood P
23 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I was just highlighting Sibbick for their goal. As you say the forwards were equally culpable for the draw (loss).

25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Have we sold Kingsley 😅

If we play a back 4 I think Kingsley plays at left back.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Spot on, the two other CHs were poo at the goal also. Sibbick is the new boo boy it seems, and Ginnelly if he’s ever seen again, wonder why?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cadden, Boyle and Youan, who looked useful, any manager will now be trying to shut down the right and force them left. However too much airtime for them! Heres hoping we overload our right hand side next!

ArcticJambo

BackoftheNet is spot on about the overall real blame for losing the two points but if we're focusing on the post match analysis of the gaol itself and how we might avoid it in future, you would bring Halkett, Rowles, Cochrane and Sibbick into the wee naughty room.

For me however, the main culprit in that is Cochrane getting caught ball watching on the outside as Jouan runs past him and away from him without the ball. It's then left to Halkett in a near impossible situation in the box.

I'm really not getting the MotM love for Cochrane. He was generally fine but the standout, no chance!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

BackoftheNet is spot on about the overall real blame for losing the two points but if we're focusing on the post match analysis of the gaol itself and how we might avoid it in future, you would bring Halkett, Rowles, Cochrane and Sibbick into the wee naughty room.

For me however, the main culprit in that is Cochrane getting caught ball watching on the outside as Jouan runs past him and away from him without the ball. It's then left to Halkett in a near impossible situation in the box.

I'm really not getting the MotM love for Cochrane. He was generally fine but the standout, no chance!

Yeah you’re right. Most of their danger came down his side, saw the highlights and he’s nowhere to be seen when Cadden was causing problems. Didn’t create much either. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Anyway, pacy forward and RCB look like a must, especially if the manager insists on playing 343. 

We will move between the 2 as we see fit, worked well for us last year, better players we get in, everything becomes a bit more comfortable

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Transfer thread....

Correct 👍 Doesn't look like Davenport getting a deal and RN obviously doesn't rate GMS, Hendo or Ginnelly enough to give them game time. 

That means realistically we need still about 5 players, minimum. CM, AM (playmaker, happy to control game), attacking winger, cover for Boyce role(false 9 or whatever it is) and another striker. 

JS wants us to challenge old firm. To do that we need quality players that our manager will trust to give a chance to. 

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, the two other CHs were poo at the goal also. Sibbick is the new boo boy it seems, and Ginnelly if he’s ever seen again, wonder why?

Instead of leaving that snide little remark there which casts a nasty little veil on the general population of the board, why don’t you just come right out and say it’s racism, then we can discuss whether or not we, as a support, boo players because they are black ?

Or you could just shut your hole when a completely unfounded allegation pops into your head, and have a think about it.

Batistuta87
21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Anyway, pacy forward and RCB look like a must, especially if the manager insists on playing 343. 

I'd be happy with this. Don't think we need another CM - quite happy to rotate the guys we have depending on the game although I wouldn't say no to someone who adds some value to the squad at the end of the day. Although we all wanted it, I don't think it was a good game to play Grant in. He was overwhelmed, couldn't get the time he wanted on the ball and was therefore nullified in the midfield. Should have been changed for Devlin at HT if you ask me, who would have added more intensity to the way we played and would have helped us control the midfield more with his ball-winning alone. Could see him egging Haring on to follow him around and to be a couple of absolute wasps - popping up all over the pitch and nicking the ball away. 

Sibbick I feel has had his chance at RCB and has shown that he's not quite at the level we need, so I think we absolutely have to try to get someone in. I'd be pretty nervous going into Europe etc with him as a first 11 player. I'm kinda at the stage with him that I'd play Neilson in our next game to see how he does, as he absolutely strolled his pre-season games. 

In terms of forwards, if Ginnelly and/or GMS are leaving then we would need to replace them. I'd say we could quite realistically replace both of them with one "AM R/L/C" type player (i.e. Seung-Woo) - and I really think an out and out number 9 as backup to Shankland is also needed. He can't play every game. Look what it did to Boyce last season. 

Three away from a very strong squad I think. Four if you count a backup keeper but let's not open that can of worms today. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'd be happy with this. Don't think we need another CM - quite happy to rotate the guys we have depending on the game although I wouldn't say no to someone who adds some value to the squad at the end of the day. Although we all wanted it, I don't think it was a good game to play Grant in. He was overwhelmed, couldn't get the time he wanted on the ball and was therefore nullified in the midfield. Should have been changed for Devlin at HT if you ask me, who would have added more intensity to the way we played and would have helped us control the midfield more with his ball-winning alone. Could see him egging Haring on to follow him around and to be a couple of absolute wasps - popping up all over the pitch and nicking the ball away. 

Sibbick I feel has had his chance at RCB and has shown that he's not quite at the level we need, so I think we absolutely have to try to get someone in. I'd be pretty nervous going into Europe etc with him as a first 11 player. I'm kinda at the stage with him that I'd play Neilson in our next game to see how he does, as he absolutely strolled his pre-season games. 

In terms of forwards, if Ginnelly and/or GMS are leaving then we would need to replace them. I'd say we could quite realistically replace both of them with one "AM R/L/C" type player (i.e. Seung-Woo) - and I really think an out and out number 9 as backup to Shankland is also needed. He can't play every game. Look what it did to Boyce last season. 

Three away from a very strong squad I think. Four if you count a backup keeper but let's not open that can of worms today. 

Agree with all f thar. I think Sibbick is really a back up for Halkett in the middle of a three, might be better in midfield but as you say not at RCB. 
Not sure what’s happening with GMS or Ginnelly but one at least should’ve been on yesterday, Grant might’ve done better moving forward as the game wore on. I’ve not seen Neilson yet, well apart from outside a nightclub two weeks ago where he and pal were just looking around, but he has been given rave reviews. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, CMc said:

Is it fickle to notice?

No but they are two vastly differently different games, there were far too many long balls yesterday from both teams on a huge pitch made for passing and moving. 

34 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

We can pick holes all day but trying to get back in defensively while under the counter attack leaves you open to anything.  

Looking back and If we pick faults for a minute, Cochrane really doesn’t bust a gut to get back, kind of caught day dreaming.  Sibbick probably needs to have a half look over his shoulder as most good defenders would, just before the obvious moment the ball is about to come over.   But is simply drawn to watching the ball.  

Uncharacteristically, Halkett commits himself too early, pulls out a challenge but it allows just a wee bit more space for the Hibs player to get the ball over. 

It makes it look like one flaw after another, but that’s football in the heat of the moment. You rely on players to make the right decision but it doesn’t always happen. 

RN has gone from telling Hendo he will get game time to not even considering bringing him on when his pace could have caused problems yesterday, I hear there are a number of clubs including prem teams wanting him on loan,he knows where the goals are so lets hope that doesn't come back to haunt us too 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It wasn’t really a counter attack it was a long throw where we had most of the team behind the ball. 

True, just a habit of mine to call a brisk attack as such.  

More we got caught just a bit flat footed but similar effect to a counter.  

Desperately trying to get back. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

True, just a habit of mine to call a brisk attack as such.  

More we got caught just a bit flat footed but similar effect to a counter.  

Desperately trying to get back. 

It was an awful goal to lose no doubt about that where practically everyone could’ve and should’ve done better, against one of the worst teams we will play this season. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Jamborose said:

RN has gone from telling Hendo he will get game time to not even considering bringing him on when his pace could have caused problems yesterday, I hear there are a number of clubs including prem teams wanting him on loan,he knows where the goals are so lets hope that doesn't come back to haunt us too 

I can’t see any of the young guys getting much game time unless we are down to the bare bones. 

6 minutes ago, Jamborose said:

He's nowhere near good enough, that's why he's not getting game time. 

Allowing him to leave is probably the best thing for his career.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, DG_HMFC said:

He's nowhere near good enough, that's why he's not getting game time. 

Allowing him to leave is probably the best thing for his career.

I love seeing youngsters being bred into a team but unfortunately in Henderson’s case I think he is short of the standard required. Once the rumoured striker comes in I reckon he’ll be off, although we do need him for homegrown contingent. 

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Agree with all f thar. I think Sibbick is really a back up for Halkett in the middle of a three, might be better in midfield but as you say not at RCB. 
Not sure what’s happening with GMS or Ginnelly but one at least should’ve been on yesterday, Grant might’ve done better moving forward as the game wore on. I’ve not seen Neilson yet, well apart from outside a nightclub two weeks ago where he and pal were just looking around, but he has been given rave reviews. 

Yeah he's not a first 11 player. Can provide backup across a number of positions but if we're not bringing in someone better as a starting 11 player, I'd be a bit worried. 

Only seen a little of Neilson but I liked what I saw. He's an absolute unit of a laddie firstly, but the first thing I saw him do with the ball was ping a superb 50-odd yard diagonal pass from RCB to Conor Smith at LW. His mentality reminded me of Hickey - the way he just never appeared flustered or annoyed and just sort of strolled around looking quite laid back. 

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Grant getting a tough time? 

I thought he looked alright yesterday. Was pretty tidy in possession. 

I think he was caught out with how frenetic it was the first 10 minutes or so and lost the ball a few times. However after that he was decent even if his set pieces were poor all day. Think both teams were guilty of poor deliveries all afternoon. Can't remember a game where Gordon claimed countless corners unchallenged. 

I would have thought we would have heard about Davenport today after we said we would make a decision over the weekend. Any other concrete rumours flying around? 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I can’t see any of the young guys getting much game time unless we are down to the bare bones. 

Henderson is 22 years old, ages with Atkinson and Cochrane. Lewis Neilson, who is 19, will get game time this season as well. Robbie will have no issues playing younger players, but they have to be good enough first.

1 minute ago, DG_HMFC said:

Henderson is 22 years old, ages with Atkinson and Cochrane. Lewis Neilson, who is 19, will get game time this season as well. Robbie will have no issues playing younger players, but they have to be good enough first.

I just don't think Henderson is good enough and wouldn't be surprised if he left before the month is out. Think he's only here just now as an extra body to cover the subs bench. If we bring in more quality he won't be in the match squad very often this season. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This thread badly needs a new transfer rumour or news.

Surely we will confirm one way or another today re Davenport. If we were making a decision end of the week and over the weekend then surely if he was signing it would be today. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This thread badly needs a new transfer rumour or news.

Definitely, it's been in cobwebs for weeks now 🤣

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***