*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

10 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Deal to be completed tomorrow according to the Sun. 

And he’s getting the number 9 shirt!

So exciting! Whilst it might not be quite ‘rising Sun’ ….. it’s certainly throbbing!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9179023/lawrence-shankland-hearts-transfer-24-hours/#Echobox=1658180548-1

If anyone's interested in the news being old it's not.   It's a fresh update since yesterday.    Interesting quote from the author. 

"But talks ramped up a level over the weekend, with Shankland travelling back last night to seal his return to the Premiership." 

Did we miss this one 😂 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, CMc said:

Halliday played one of his best games for us in what I think was the sixth last game of the season. 

Folk know he didn’t age a full calendar year in the off season, right?

Apparently, him, Gordon and Boyce all aged6a decade in a month. 

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, tazhearts said:

If we were signing some unknown foreign striker who had as impressive You Tube Goal Compilations as Shankland everyone would be creaming themselves.  I for one am excited about this signing.

Just puts his foot through it doesn't he. Zero hesitation. Superb. 

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Just puts his foot through it doesn't he. Zero hesitation. Superb. 

Some of it feels a bit Rudi. 

2 minutes ago, CMc said:

Some of it feels a bit Rudi. 

It’s funny that even amongst pro footballers who spend all day every day doing it, being really good at kicking a football can be an exception rather than the rule. 

Been a while since we've had a proper penalty box striker. Hopefully he can hit the ground running and be the next 100 goal for Hearts player. 

Natural goalscorers turn losses into draws and draws into wins. 

If Grant has replaced McEneff, it'll be interesting to see who our management will get in to replace Woodburn. I think there might be someone similar to Woodburn as in a young talent from a big English team that they'd like to get experience at a decent level and watch how he goes. Elliot Anderson looks like a great match for us.

A big, powerful striker (Hopefully Simms) another centre half and a sub goalie and we're ready to party.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The Shankland hype train has always worried me as he always seems to me to be a poor man's Steven Fletcher or Jordan Rhodes, where there is obvious ability but they always seem to perform under their true potential. That's not to say he won't be good for us but then I would be content for 10-12 goals for someone I see as a regular rather than a first name on the teamsheet. Some will expect 20 goals and set themselves up for disappointment as a consequence.

I eagerly await the claims Robbie is ruining him and doesn't know how to use him when Shankland fails to score 20, despite his record previously under Robbie. Or that he was a Robbie signing and Joe didn't want to do it but was over ruled by Ann. 

Edited by Norm

PhoenixHearts
3 hours ago, tazhearts said:

Despite not being that tall Shankland is excellent in the air.  Look at the number of headed goals he bagged in this season.  It's been a while since Hearts have had a forward who can actually score a few goals with his head.

Worth pointing out that he's actually just a shade taller than Craig Halkett.

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

I eagerly await the claims Robbie is ruining him and doesn't know how to use him when Shankland fails to score 20, despite his record previously under Robbie. Or that he was a Robbie signing and Joe didn't want to do it but was over ruled by Ann. 

C'mon now, that second part of your post is absolute nonsense. Joe Savage wanted us to get the full report and analysis as with every player we have signed. If we signed someone just because Robbie has said so then we would be signing guys like - El hass, Anderson, Sammon, Frear and Roberts etc. 

One of the main reasons we employ JS is to provide us with the stats and data so we don't make as many mistakes recruitment wise. 

If your theory was correct then it is more likely JS brings in players regardless of what Robbie thinks or says.

Shame McEneff is leaving when he most certainly would have got game time this season. Must've felt strongly about his situation.

Happy to see the shankland deal coming along nicely. Another striker and a no10 would be lovely!

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The Shankland hype train has always worried me as he always seems to me to be a poor man's Steven Fletcher or Jordan Rhodes, where there is obvious ability but they always seem to perform under their true potential. That's not to say he won't be good for us but then I would be content for 10-12 goals for someone I see as a regular rather than a first name on the teamsheet. Some will expect 20 goals and set themselves up for disappointment as a consequence.

If we can continue creating the chances we have been doing, one things for sure, there's no fecking around with him.

Here's hoping.

I believe both Grant and Shankland have been the main penalty takers at previous clubs. Does anyone have information about their conversion rates?

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Shame McEneff is leaving when he most certainly would have got game time this season. Must've felt strongly about his situation.

I think the opposite.

I think with the increase in numbers and quality he'd have gotten less game time.

He'd probably be looking at no new contract as well.

Drew Wallace
5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Time will tell no one knows not even you 😜

7 hours ago, hearts 4 the cup said:

Simms has a lot of qualities and not sure of the comment your replying to but genuine question - do you think he’s good at both of these things? 

When Simms first arrived he had barely kicked a ball at a professional level and had played mainly under 23 development games …………. he was then parachuted in to a league where every thing is done at ninety miles an hour and in his first few games his first touch was a little way ward …………. After he had time to get used to his team mates and the pace of the game this improved a lot 

It was mainly high balls where he appeared to struggle with his first touch but this is down to him using his first touch to put the ball in front of himself to run on to rather than trapping it and starting off flat footed ……….. it is a different skill to killing the ball dead and then running with it ………….. after a few weeks he had learned where to put the ball with his first touch to avoid the press of other teams to give him self the best chance of running at the defence or to give McKay and Boyce a chance to use the knock down

After a few weeks the ball was sticking up front for us and this was down to both an improvement in his touch when dealing with long balls and our other players varying how they found him more with more balls poked through for him to run on to rather than just dealing with long high balls ………… he had started to learn how his team mates played and them him

7 hours ago, CMc said:

So Simms was joint 7th for highest number of unsuccessful touches in the SPL last season. Joint 8th for getting dispossessed. So it is a thing. 

As i posted earlier, would put the mortgage on this being distorted by the first few weeks of playing himself into form. 

The boy is class. He was probably holding off two defenders for the majority of these. High level of difficulty and ambition definitely plays a part (as it does for some others on these lists). 

If he had Iniesta’s first touch, we’d never have had the privilege. 

Hopefully we get him back and the improving trend continues. 

B2F452CA-0C42-46F8-9B4D-2290415E72ED.jpeg

438352E7-47FF-456B-B9F7-80D9F80C8957.jpeg

Yes all about the trend as opposed to the total he was learning and getting better quite an intelligent player to watch as he did not just decide to be a one trick pony and get found out ………. He has a bit in his bag 

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I think the opposite.

I think with the increase in numbers and quality he'd have gotten less game time.

He'd probably be looking at no new contract as well.

I agree especially where we have recruited because he never looked convincing as a central midfielder and all the deeper attacking positions are filled now ………. central midfield needs to be strong to accommodate the like of Grant Forrest and McKay running with the ball because every time they are unsuccessful at attacking we need the midfield to stop the opposition break out and recycle the ball

Clerry Jambo
6 hours ago, Norm said:

Yip look out for Neilson playing him wide, then switch after 30 mins to opposite side 👀

Exciting updates this last 12 hours or so re Shankland...so many folk on here with A LOT of time on their hands and clearly negative nelly's by character, posting nonsense time and time again.. we have been starved for so long  more than clubs with a fraction of our budget, over the years, having a true striker that is capable of using two feet and takes shots on early, it is so alien for us Jambos to possibly have that in a striker 😂😂😅🤪

So todays the day hopefully. Seriously can wait for the scarf shot. I think he will be a tremendous asset.  The doom merchants on here do realise in the premiership he played in a shit Dundee Utd side that was nowhere near the standard we are at.  This guy will get plenty chances and score freely. Genuinely very excited. Not often I say this but a 4 year deal would be very good business.

Forrest, Mackay, Grant, Shanklands  and Boyce is a very tasty threat

johnking123

We create loads of chances. So hopefully he can get on the end of half of him. We will sign another forward too. We will be stronger than last season. But will need to be.

The more I think about it the happier I am with Shankland signing. We seemed to play too many passes in and around the box at times last season or the guy who did have a crack at goal took too long to get the shot away, giving the defence/keeper a better chance. A clinical striker that doesn't dally seems quite an exciting prospect.

jambo-rocker

If you're worried about Simms touch, you're doing it wrong. He's a battering ram up top. Teams just couldn't handle his physical presence when he was firing.

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shankland this week and Simms next week please. 

Hope you're right. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jambo-rocker said:

If you're worried about Simms touch, you're doing it wrong. He's a battering ram up top. Teams just couldn't handle his physical presence when he was firing.

Not seeing that at all Tbh. 

Although strong, He was more than a battering ram imo. He was intelligent and made good, quick runs behind. 

He also carried the ball well and committed defenders. 

He could also be awkward for defenders and was able to nick the ball back in good positions. 

Still does not stop folk discussing that his first touch was a  be a bit off at times although it did improve.

If Simms had a better touch, he wouldn't have been here last season. His other qualities make up for it though as he's able to hold the ball after a poor touch, use his speed to recover it. His two contributions for Halliday's first goal vs Hibs is a great example of this.

8 hours ago, Sertse said:

Feels strange how we're improving on what we have instead of another complete rebuild. Strong players in every position. No squad fillers being signed. Winning attitude from the club. Good time to be a Jambo👍

Agree .... 

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shankland this week and Simms next week please. 

Ronan the week after..

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, TommyC said:

If Simms had a better touch, he wouldn't have been here last season. His other qualities make up for it though as he's able to hold the ball after a poor touch, use his speed to recover it. His two contributions for Halliday's first goal vs Hibs is a great example of this.

Agreed. 

And like you say He has at times made it work him! 

I'm growing excited by the Shankland signing based on the hype on here. I didn't really want him before as I think he's the type of player that's a dying breed and also will struggle at this level. Starting to be sold on it, I just hope those who expect big things aren't disappointed.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, karipidis said:

Ronan the week after..

Then mystery chap from the land of the rising sun. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Then mystery chap from the land of the rising sun. 

Him or similar is the missing part....pace.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Cruyff said:

Him or similar is the missing part....pace.

Might see GMS leave 

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Might see GMS leave 

Probably. Although Gary might play more at Lwb if he's kept on. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Cruyff said:

Probably. Although Gary might play more at Lwb if he's kept on. 

Maybe, could be a shout. 

IMO he'd already be at ICT if they got promoted, but unsure who'd take him or where he'd want to go atm. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
On 13/07/2022 at 11:59, JamboAl said:
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Today must be the day. 

Welcome Shanks. 

Looks like it could well be , been serious investment in the first team this last few months with the new contracts for Gordon , Halkett, Kingsley , Haring and McKay and this summer we've paid fees for Cochrane , Royles , Grant and now looking like Shankland 

johnking123
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Might see GMS leave 

Think he will. Couple of spfl clubs showing bit of interest. Motherwell being one.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Think he will. Couple of spfl clubs showing bit of interest. Motherwell being one.

St Johnstone very keen a heard 

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe, could be a shout. 

IMO he'd already be at ICT if they got promoted, but unsure who'd take him or where he'd want to go atm. 

Most SPFL clubs would take him. I'm sure he could go back to the states or Canada as well. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***