*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Put a wee bid in for Liam Kelly. 

Will cause unrest as Kelly will want to join Hearts. 

Those tactics are a bit old firmy for my liking

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, Clark Griswold said:

No thanks. 

Name someone mate 👍

We need two good goalkeepers. 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Yes which we can do 👍

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes which we can do 👍

We can but i don't think we should if its just to unsettle him. If we genuinely wanted him then it would be a different story

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We are a superior team 👍 **** how the rest of the league looks at us, they cared that much about us during our demotion didn't they? 

One goal too better Hearts feck the rest 👍

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We can but i don't think we should if its just to unsettle him. If we genuinely wanted him then it would be a different story

It's to get him on the cheap 😂

We aren't going to get a better goalkeeper than Gordon, he's the best keeper in the league. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, rory78 said:

Lot of shite if a player signs they'll be over there for the game on Thursday - I'd imagine Jorge Grant and Cochrane have already done all that at Oriam and it's just paperwork  

Believe there will be at least one addition whilst in Spain - no idea who though 

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why would Kelly be that keen to go and be 2nd choice when he's a 1st pick and scotland squad player? He's not going to rock the boat for 10 games a season.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And? It's a proven tactic in scottish football. 

I know the ethos of hearts is we're a fair club,and we most certainly are that, however football is dog eat dog, you must adjust your ethics when rival predators have lowered theirs enough to threaten your position. You either do that or simply get eaten up. 

Which is virtually the entire history of Scottish football...the old firm predating on everyone else. 

Hearts have some financial clout again, time to flex it. (wisely ofc not mad vlad style haha) 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Believe there will be at least one addition whilst in Spain - no idea who though 

Is that a player expected to go out tomorrow?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Gordon isn’t going to fall apart next season. But in an ideal world we should have a second choice keeper who we can play in a few bottom 6 type games.

Craig may be able to play for another 3 years but not if he plays 50 games each season.

Only a fool would say otherwise:

Which is exactly the point the wise are making, gradually he will get slower he will heal less quickly 

44 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

It appears to have all kicked off.. BRB must be visiting 😂

In all seriousness, I don't think CG will suddenly not be able to play all the games he did last season but with the extra games plus international duty, he may want a few games off as the first half of the season is going to be the busiest it has been in years. So backup keepers will defo play more games next season and I'm not sure that Stewart is the answer.

With that being the case, I think signing a GK under say 25 wouldn't be a bad option as you could get someone if decent quality/potential who also is happy to learn from a keeper of CG'S quality. The club will likely know when he is planning to retire and they will also probably have him in as a coach off the back of that (or even player/coach, as GK is one of the few places that works) 

He plays from Aug to early November  then gets a month+ off. Plays again mid-Dec to end of season.  Worst case is he needs a short break in the March timeframe. 

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We aren't going to get a better goalkeeper than Gordon, he's the best keeper in the league. 

He'd still get a game for any team in England bar City and Liverpool - no other keepers are as consistent,just lucky I guess he's a Hearts fan and wants to end it that way

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

We need two solid goalkeepers. 

Gordon, Kelly or someone else like that. 

Jamma can be third choice and b team. 

Stone goes out on loan and gets game time. 

Heres the problem with that:

Liam Kelly is in the prime of his career, he's 26 and in the Scotland team regularly. He's playing week in week out and a club down South is going to eventually take notice. Motherwell are also paying him a very decent wage apparently too. 

He's not going to give that up to sit on the bench to Gordon who at 39 is playing the best football of his career and will likely keep going until something stops him. 

For Liam Kelly to give all that up to play 2nd fiddle and maybe play 5 games a season, we'd need to pay him more than we're paying Gordon. It would be a waste of time for him, and a massive waste of money from us when we could tie those funds up with a player that is going to play every week. Its altogether a wild suggestion Bongo. 

Jamie MacDonald on the other hand is tested at this level (unlike Ross Stewart), he's got bags of experience and has worked with Gordon when he was younger, trained together before Gordon joined Celtic and knows what it means to play for the club so would throw everything and the kitchen sink at the few chances he would get. After Gordon and McLaughlin I think MacDonald is probably one of the best shot stoppers we've had in recent years. 

We're not going to get a Zander Clarke or Liam Kelly type player to sit on our bench for 95% of the season because these players can pick literally any league 1 or 2 club and play every week or get paid a tidy packet to sit on the bench in the Championship. Your sub keeper is never going to be an exciting signing. Someone steady who can step in for up to 5 games if there is (god forbid) an injury. 

If Gordon suddenly retired I'd 100% back signing someone like Kelly, McCrorie or Clarke, but those kinds of players at this level don't sit on the bench. 

40 minutes ago, bazman said:

He plays regular football at raith id imagine he would prefer that than bench warming

At his age he couldn’t turn down double the money. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, rory78 said:

He'd still get a game for any team in England bar City and Liverpool - no other keepers are as consistent,just lucky I guess he's a Hearts fan and wants to end it that way

Spurs

16 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Stone will be playing Lowland League I think.  Guaranteed a game every week. 

48 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Cruicky was my first Hearts hero but Craig Gordon surpasses him in my eyes anyway.

Reluctantly I agree Ian, Cruikshank is better than Yashin!!  but Craig has surpassed him.  How fortunate we have been with goalkeepers over the years. 

17 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

B team is under 20’s 

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Is that a player expected to go out tomorrow?

Probably went out today but not from Edinburgh 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, DavyH said:

Reluctantly I agree Ian, Cruikshank is better than Yashin!!  but Craig has surpassed him.  How fortunate we have been with goalkeepers over the years. 

to be fair karma but is square on the arse with Joel poppadom hands didn’t it. 

***** was the reason we were bottom at the vote 

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Liam Kelly is in the prime of his career, he's 26 and in the Scotland team regularly. He's playing week in week out and a club down South is going to eventually take notice. Motherwell are also paying him a very decent wage apparently too. 

He's not going to give that up to sit on the bench to Gordon who at 39 is playing the best football of his career and will likely keep going until something stops him. 

For Liam Kelly to give all that up to play 2nd fiddle and maybe play 5 games a season, we'd need to pay him more than we're paying Gordon. It would be a waste of time for him, and a massive waste of money from us when we could tie those funds up with a player that is going to play every week. Its altogether a wild suggestion Bongo. 

Jamie MacDonald on the other hand is tested at this level (unlike Ross Stewart), he's got bags of experience and has worked with Gordon when he was younger, trained together before Gordon joined Celtic and knows what it means to play for the club so would throw everything and the kitchen sink at the few chances he would get. After Gordon and McLaughlin I think MacDonald is probably one of the best shot stoppers we've had in recent years. 

We're not going to get a Zander Clarke or Liam Kelly type player to sit on our bench for 95% of the season because these players can pick literally any league 1 or 2 club and play every week or get paid a tidy packet to sit on the bench in the Championship. Your sub keeper is never going to be an exciting signing. Someone steady who can step in for up to 5 games if there is (god forbid) an injury. 

If Gordon suddenly retired I'd 100% back signing someone like Kelly, McCrorie or Clarke, but those kinds of players at this level don't sit on the bench. 

Tend to agree. Gordon first team. Jamie bench, McFarlane and Stone share B team positions. Wins all round and no need to rely on loan clubs giving them game time. 

Watt-Zeefuik
46 minutes ago, bazman said:

He plays regular football at raith id imagine he would prefer that than bench warming

Depends. His career isn't going to go that much longer, and we can pay him more than Raith can.

Besides, Raith are a bit of a mess right now.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Depends. His career isn't going to go that much longer, and we can pay him more than Raith can.

Besides, Raith are a bit of a mess right now.

He could put his passport to use too 😎

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, pointon said:

Ellis will be back 👍that is all

🙏 you are right. Ellis and Shanks = 40 goals 

Arthur Morgan
4 minutes ago, pointon said:

Ellis will be back at Hearts on loan or permanently that’s what’s to be sorted out 

😍

Watt-Zeefuik
4 minutes ago, pointon said:

Ellis will be back at Hearts on loan or permanently that’s what’s to be sorted out 

Can only hope you're right.

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, pointon said:

Source?

35 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Name someone mate 👍

We need two good goalkeepers. 

Last season Gordon, Hart, McGregor, Clarke, Siegrist, Alnwick and arguably Lewis and Stryjek were all better keepers than Liam Kelly. He’s pretty shit.

There’s loads of good backup goalies out there. I read we’re after some Irish guy - Ed McGinty.

29 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Why would Kelly be that keen to go and be 2nd choice when he's a 1st pick and scotland squad player? He's not going to rock the boat for 10 games a season.

Because Gordon will probably retire in a year or two. 

Rangers done this with Allan and Jon Mcg. 

Dick Dastardly
28 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

B team is under 20’s 

I think the goalie can be over 20. I could be wrong though. 

Dick Dastardly
42 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I doubt we are trying to get a better keeper than Gordon right now. Where was it suggested that we were? 

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Last season Gordon, Hart, McGregor, Clarke, Siegrist, Alnwick and arguably Lewis and Stryjek were all better keepers than Liam Kelly. He’s pretty shit.

There’s loads of good backup goalies out there. I read we’re after some Irish guy - Ed McGinty.

He's Scottish, I sign him in FM he turns out pretty decent. 

Dick Dastardly
38 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

And? It's a proven tactic in scottish football. 

I know the ethos of hearts is we're a fair club,and we most certainly are that, however football is dog eat dog, you must adjust your ethics when rival predators have lowered theirs enough to threaten your position. You either do that or simply get eaten up. 

Which is virtually the entire history of Scottish football...the old firm predating on everyone else. 

Hearts have some financial clout again, time to flex it. (wisely ofc not mad vlad style haha) 

Land mines are a proven tactic in warfare, doesn't mean i agree with them. 

And the old firm do not predate us 😉

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think the goalie can be over 20. I could be wrong though. 

Might be, but if the point of us entering a B team is to develop players for the first team, its a bit pointless to get an really experienced keeper for that team when we have two talented young keepers in Stone and McFarlane. And to those who say send them on loan, we did with Stone and he hardly played for Partick because their other keeper went on a crazy run of form, so the B team allows them to be played.

The_razors_edge
8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Haha superb. I was a Lampard - couldn't do many tricks but I could take it past my man, had a powerful shot, and could ping passes around pretty accurately. I probably should have worn Nike Tiempos or something like that lol. 

If my memory serves me correct Paulo Di Canio used to wear those boots when he played for Celtic. I think that’s why they caught my attention during that game. Some wee twat pretending to be Paulo and the maroon mist descended 🤣

Dick Dastardly
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Might be, but if the point of us entering a B team is to develop players for the first team, its a bit pointless to get an really experienced keeper for that team when we have two talented young keepers in Stone and McFarlane. And to those who say send them on loan, we did with Stone and he hardly played for Partick because their other keeper went on a crazy run of form, so the B team allows them to be played.

I suppose its a bit of a balancing act. If our younger keepers can go out and get experience with other teams who have older, better defenders and we can have an older, experienced keeper providing that experience to a young defence it would seem worthwhile, it might even be more beneficial. 

Liam Kelly is massively overrated pulls off some good saves and is decent with his feet but regularly makes mistakes. He also won’t be a number 2. I’ve always wanted us to sign Zander Clarke but he won’t either. That’s why it’s such a hard position to fill. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Thoughts on Aiden McAdams? Thought he was immense for Greenock the season we were in the Championship. Haven't seen him this past season but was at Rangers as a kid and Celtic until 21/22 (was actually there with CG). He's only 23 and available on a free. 

32 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

47 minutes ago, OTT said:

Those are the types of keeper's we need to target, in order to get to the level we want, Gordon is potentially playing in 5 competitions this season. 

Stewart offers him no competition, so Gordon knows he can have a shit game and get picked, not that he has many of them. 

Competition breeds a winning mentality, and Gordon doesn't have competition. 

😉

16 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

He's Scottish, I sign him in FM he turns out pretty decent. 

I did see he was born in Glasgow actually. Looks like he’s played for Ireland’s under 21s.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***