*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Bob Loblaw
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Are we now saying Gino is lazy?  I'm not sure that's fair to be honest.

He's sometimes not the most intelligent as far as decision making, but I've never seen a lack of effort from the lad.  Couple of games last season he played up top and worked his arse off in particular, one away at Celtic where it was thankless and he kept plugging away especially.

I quite like Gino.  Not irreplaceable at all, and if he were go, like most, wish him well and not think much more of it, but certainly happy enough if he stays.

I've liked his updates on the friendly but let's not get carried away about a personal opinion from someone watching the first bounce game of the season, in 38c heat, from over a fence (nae offence Typoon - just not wanting people to run too far with your comment!)

Agree with all this tbh. No danger is he lazy and if he goes we'd get over it and I'd wish him well, but I'm very happy to see him stay as an option. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

AllyjamboDerbyshire
6 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Anyone else get the feeling that Forrest might be an underrated signing and an important player for us. He looks direct, energetic and tenacious. 

Hope he's a good one. 

I've got good hopes for him. I've liked him whenever I've seen him play. Very direct and has looked like a player only lacking someone good enough to make use of his breaks into the box. No idea, though, if he does his best work consistently enough to make a difference at the 'next level'.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

That's my thoughts.  Start of last season, I thought he was going to be a big player for us - he also seemed to have bulked up and looked strong as an ox.  Still might come

We could probably do with better movement up front too, others making themselves available for a pass

2 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I've got good hopes for him. I've liked him whenever I've seen him play. Very direct and has looked like a player only lacking someone good enough to make use of his breaks into the box. No idea, though, if he does his best work consistently enough to make a difference at the 'next level'.

Wonder if there may be a bit of Suso about him.  You know, bit of a wee pitbull type winger, rather than flair or cuteness as such, it's more a constant drive type thing (with no lack of skill).  Total pest off the ball too.  I'd like that.

Ccjambo1874

I think the biggest difficulty with Gino compared to us having signed Forrest as an example is, he isn't as defensively hard working to play the RWB position in the 3-4-3. Nor is he as intricate or has as much vision as McKay, Boyce and potentially Grant to play that inside forward role in the 3 up top. I think he would benefit more playing as a winger in a 4-3-3 or on either side of the 4-2-3-1. If he puts in the graft and works on the defensive side/is more direct with the ball he'll go places in this squad. 

TyphoonJambo
13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

He's sometimes not the most intelligent as far as decision making, but I've never seen a lack of effort from the lad.  Couple of games last season he played up top and worked his arse off in particular, one away at Celtic where it was thankless and he kept plugging away especially.

I quite like Gino.  Not irreplaceable at all, and if he were go, like most, wish him well and not think much more of it, but certainly happy enough if he stays.

I've liked his updates on the friendly but let's not get carried away about a personal opinion from someone watching the first bounce game of the season, in 38c heat, from over a fence (nae offence Typoon - just not wanting people to run too far with your comment!)

No offence taken. And definitely, as you pointed out, not the best conditions to form a definitive opinion.

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think Gino is very much an on and off player.  When he's on he can be dynamic.  I think he needs to find consistency.  A good player to have in the squad.

Just now, TypoonJambo said:

No offence taken. And definitely, as you pointed out, not the best conditions to form a definitive opinion.

Good man (so easy to offend on here, so like to make sure.  If and when I do decide to offend you, that will also be clear!)

Lucky man nipping oot to watch a wee friendly in pre-season like that btw.  About time we started pre-season at Olive Bank imo

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, TheBigO said:

Wonder if there may be a bit of Suso about him.  You know, bit of a wee pitbull type winger, rather than flair or cuteness as such, it's more a constant drive type thing (with no lack of skill).  Total pest off the ball too.  I'd like that.

Sometimes the step up can be too much for a player, if we view moving from Livi to Hearts as a step up (I do), so we'll have to wait and see how he copes with it, but he's a player I was always glad to see not take the field against us last season, and one that made me fear he'd win it/get a draw for Livi whenever he came on as a sub. He doesn't look like another of those wingers we've collected over the last season or two who take the ball up the wing only to turn back instead of crossing or committing defenders by taking the ball into the box at speed. Can't think I've ever seen Forrest (on TV) with the ball at his feet turning back rather than taking it into the box or turning outside his marker and crossing.

1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Sometimes the step up can be too much for a player, if we view moving from Livi to Hearts as a step up (I do), so we'll have to wait and see how he copes with it, but he's a player I was always glad to see not take the field against us last season, and one that made me fear he'd win it/get a draw for Livi whenever he came on as a sub. He doesn't look like another of those wingers we've collected over the last season or two who take the ball up the wing only to turn back instead of crossing or committing defenders by taking the ball into the box at speed. Can't think I've ever seen Forrest (on TV) with the ball at his feet turning back rather than taking it into the box or turning outside his marker and crossing.

Yup, that's the type of player I'm expecting (and would fit in with the Suso hopes).  Totally agree about the step up too, we've seen it loads over the years.  Something tells me he'll be better than the last wee brother of a Celtic player we brought in in that respect.

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Good luck to him. 

A 6ft 4 "colossus" could be good for any defence in Scotland 

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What actually happened to him in that game to do both his knee and ankle

God knows. I once saw a guy dislocate his ankle and break his leg in the same tackle/attempt at goal. Pretty gruesome. And a guy once broke his leg trying a sliding takle on me, smashing his leg against my shin. What a horrible sound. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, that's the type of player I'm expecting (and would fit in with the Suso hopes).  Totally agree about the step up too, we've seen it loads over the years.  Something tells me he'll be better than the last wee brother of a Celtic player we brought in in that respect.

There's an old quote attributed to an American admiral that when asked by a warship's captain 'how do I know which way to sail?' He replied, 'head towards the sound of the guns'. (I paraphrase, of course) and that, to me, sums up the difference between Gino and Forrest. When running down the wing with the ball Gino invariably seems uncertain about what to do next and turns back, where as Forrest looks to me like someone who, in similar circumstances, 'heads towards the sound of the guns'. In other words, he runs into the box with the ball, committing defenders who are already stretched chasing after him, rather than stopping and turning back, passing it to our wing back, who then faces a box full of defenders.

I know Gino is playing the possession game, which is generally fine, but needs to be more possitive at times to make the impact his obvious ability should bring. Forrest looks to me like a player who only knows how to be possitive.

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

God knows. I once saw a guy dislocate his ankle and break his leg in the same tackle/attempt at goal. Pretty gruesome. And a guy once broke his leg trying a sliding takle on me, smashing his leg against my shin. What a horrible sound. 

Yes he sounds like he was very unlucky

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Looks like an older Neilson both facially and in height 

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If the club had agreed the move prior to injury they must’ve saw something. 

Hopefully he’s able to get back up to speed. 

18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

To be fair to John Sutton (who I assume is who you're talking about), I don't think we played to his strengths at all.  Motherwell would ping balls in from the bye-line for him to convert (with two up front?), whereas we'd lump balls up to him as a lone striker.

PapaShango

Doesn't do any harm having him here to train and have a look at him. If any club can get him back to fitness then Hearts must be up there when you look at Souttar. To come back from as bad an injury takes mental toughness as well. I'm sure there's an offer on the table if he can prove his fitness. No idea what he is like ability wise though. 

Nookie Bear

Not sure we would be too enthused about buying a centre back from the lower reaches of League One at the best of times...but a player that has missed a year through injury as well?

We shall see 🤷‍♂️

John Rambo
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Agree.

We trust in Doc and the wider team as I have said many, many times before on here.

If they were prepared to sign Wright last season before the injury, i trust he is the type for us. Just hope he is over the injuries. As Dick D noted above, leg injuries can be bl**dy horrendous, had a couple myself.

All the best to Joe Wright in his quest. If not with us, hope he gets back playing somewhere.

I suspect we're just doing the guy a favour after we pulled out of the deal last year. Our buying power has increased since then and his stock has lowered significantly.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I think Forrest will do well, but not sure he delivers more than Ginnelly. He scored 2 more goals than Ginnelly last year, but had more appearances and starts. 

Easy to dig at Ginnelly but it's not easy for any of our wide players to come in and out and produce. Will be a problem Forrest will have as well as he won't start every week.

To be fair to Forrest, you have to consider how much time Livingston spend defending in a game versus Hearts. When we're at home against about 7 or 8 of the teams in our league we've essentially got about 75% possession and constantly moving forward. I doubt Livingston are the same, so he probably had significantly less attacking opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I suspect we're just doing the guy a favour after we pulled out of the deal last year. Our buying power has increased since then and his stock has lowered significantly.

I suspect you are right but I think we are also quite sensibly wanting to watch him up close during his attempt at regaining fitness ..................... zero risk but potentially a shrewd signing if he comes back like Lazarus 

The Old Tolbooth
28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What actually happened to him in that game to do both his knee and ankle

Maybe played against Porteous 🤔

On another note, I'd like Gino to stay, he's hot and cold but there's deffo a player in there somewhere, and when he's on his game he's very decent. 

MarkDevriesScores4

Part of the issue with Gino is that he refused to get vaccinated and as a result missed training and games.

some article hinted he had covid 2/3 times.

Im not one to chastise any human about getting vaccinated or not but his choice led to him inevitably falling behind the rest of the squad.

theres a player there, he just needs to screw the nut and prove himself. I wouldn’t be gutted if he went but I’d prefer to see him succeed at hearts. 

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Maybe played against Porteous 🤔

On another note, I'd like Gino to stay, he's hot and cold but there's deffo a player in there somewhere, and when he's on his game he's very decent. 

Yeah St Johnstone at Tynecastle is prime example. 2 goals that night and was unplayable. 

Absolute Scenes

Joe wright getting up to speed and then us offering him a deal (it will be a lower paid one due to him being out injured and a free agent) might not be a bad move. Also adds numbers to our defence

Absolute Scenes

Joe wright getting up to speed and then us offering him a deal (it will be a lower paid one due to him being out injured and a free agent) might not be a bad move. Also adds numbers to our defence

Phil D. Corners
27 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Maybe we are doing the Agent a favour?

Stellar sports are a big agency. 

Салатные палочки

Not sure what I think about Gino. I think he flatters to deceive. But any time I say he's pish he pops up with a goal. Off the top of my head, St Johnstone and Dundee United away last season where I said he was playing pish then he scores a decent goal. 

I think his issue actually is he has it but is too scared to use it. He has the pace to skin most defenders in the league but instead of getting to the by-line and whipping a cross in, he turns back and looks for the overlap from the full back or to pass inside. It's frustrating. 

I wish he would prove a lot of us wrong but unfortunately I think we have seen all he can produce. 

TynecastleBC5

Bit apprehensive about potentially signing a CB that was relegated with Doncaster from league 1 last season. Lost 28/46 games (second worst) and conceded 82 (joint third worst)..... The injury doesn't help either. However that is the whole point of a trial. I'm sure we have another few in mind if he doesn't set the heather alight. 

If we do sign him, it still has to be Kingsley, Halkett and Rowles starting in my opinion, based on the squad so far.

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Not sure what I think about Gino. I think he flatters to deceive. But any time I say he's pish he pops up with a goal. Off the top of my head, St Johnstone and Dundee United away last season where I said he was playing pish then he scores a decent goal. 

I think his issue actually is he has it but is too scared to use it. He has the pace to skin most defenders in the league but instead of getting to the by-line and whipping a cross in, he turns back and looks for the overlap from the full back or to pass inside. It's frustrating. 

I wish he would prove a lot of us wrong but unfortunately I think we have seen all he can produce. 

It’s something that I’ve noticed too. 

If you cast back to when he first signed, I was always impressed with the fact the first thing he’d do when he got the ball for the first time in a game was square a left back up and beat him down the outside. If he managed to get his cross in he knew he had the beating of him and would continue to do it. 

It seems to have disappeared out his game a bit. IMO he need to get back to doing the basics and just beating a man and leathering a cross hard and low across the box a bit like Antonio Valencia used to do for Man Utd. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, TynecastleBC5 said:

Bit apprehensive about potentially signing a CB that was relegated with Doncaster from league 1 last season. Lost 28/46 games (second worst) and conceded 82 (joint third worst)..... The injury doesn't help either. However that is the whole point of a trial. I'm sure we have another few in mind if he doesn't set the heather alight. 

If we do sign him, it still has to be Kingsley, Halkett and Rowles starting in my opinion, based on the squad so far.

He didn’t play a single game last season so bit unfair to say he was relegated 

Dick Dastardly
7 minutes ago, TynecastleBC5 said:

He was out injured last season. They were mid table the season before when Wright played. 

I think we need to get away from this mindset that players who played in teams that didn't do well or got relegated are no good for us. In every team there will be players who were much better than the team performed. It wasn't that long ago that several people on here were putting forward Josh Edwards from Dunfermline for us despite them being relegated.

Dick Dastardly
53 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I agree with you. Fingers crossed for both him and us 

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He was out injured last season. They were mid table the season before when Wright played. 

i think the season before that they made the playoffs

Dick Dastardly
55 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes he sounds like he was very unlucky

Looks like an older Neilson both facially and in height 

I'm not seeing the facial similarities myself, but I've not got my specs on

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

i think the season before that they made the playoffs

Some folk will try and make out that he's on a Downward Trajectory now ffs! 😂 😂 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm not seeing the facial similarities myself, but I've not got my specs on

Same long face with high cheek bones and big chin

26 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Part of the issue with Gino is that he refused to get vaccinated and as a result missed training and games.

some article hinted he had covid 2/3 times.

Im not one to chastise any human about getting vaccinated or not but his choice led to him inevitably falling behind the rest of the squad.

theres a player there, he just needs to screw the nut and prove himself. I wouldn’t be gutted if he went but I’d prefer to see him succeed at hearts. 

Do you not get Covid if you are vaccinated?

Rick Sanchez

We've no rush at centre back now so a trial is the correct move. Plenty games for him to be involved in. 

100+ games in League One suggests he's not as beneath us as some might think.

I'd like a bigger name like Kipre but it would make sense to keep the cash for the strikers.

Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley, Wright, Sibbick, Cochrane and Smith who can all play or cover.

And I liked the look of Rowles against Peru, very Websteresque. Can't wait to see how he looks over here.

TynecastleBC5
13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He didn’t play a single game last season so bit unfair to say he was relegated 

I should have woken up a bit before I posted that 🥴😂

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Same long face with high cheek bones and big chin

Nope, I'm still not seeing it... 

b25lY21zOjNjZWYwOTZlLTBmZTItNGY3Yy1iYjdlLWYwMGIwMzNjODk5Mzo2MTcyOTg1MS1iZTMxLTQ5MTctYjQ3NS0yODIwODJhYWIwZWQ=.jpg

0_Screen-Shot-2020-08-10-at-45615-PM.png

57 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not sure we would be too enthused about buying a centre back from the lower reaches of League One at the best of times...but a player that has missed a year through injury as well?

We shall see 🤷‍♂️

The Edinburgh club are in the market for another centre-back after five summer signings. They will first assess Wright and monitor his fitness levels in amongst the first-team squad. They won’t consider any kind of move to bring him on board permanently unless absolutely certain he would enhance their defence.

John Rambo

Some of the comments on here...

Do some of you actually think before typing?

Beggars belief some of the absolute sh!te written. Far too much negativity and almost wanting players to fail before they're in the door.

Get a bl**dy grip some of you.

TynecastleBC5
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That's encouraging to hear mate 👍 can't say I know anything about him. Hopefully somebody on here watches league 1/follows Doncaster etc and could give an opinion. I haven't seen anybody give an analysis of him.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, TynecastleBC5 said:

I should have woken up a bit before I posted that 🥴😂

😂😂

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***