*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Exactly just look how many attempts it takes a club at our perch in the tree to find a good player in these sort of positions

Walker

Roberts

Frear

Gino

GMS

Woodburn

McKay

It is a really difficult position to get a player of good quality who plays consistently well even if they come with a good pedigree I think Woodburn has something a bit special and I would love to see us get it out of him regularly

I agree. 

However, he'd need to accept a contract that is fitting fur a rotation role at Hearts. 

Massive drop from his reported £10k a week and you'd think a lower league English team will throw around £4/5k at him.

Hes really not worth that.

If he wants to play for around  £2k a week and fight for his place then I think he's worth it. 

However, I don't think he'll move to us for that kind of money. 

And imo he's not worth  the big money that McKay, Beni, Boyce etc are. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

maroonblood
21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Great to hear.

Quite unbelievable that there's even need for advocacy here though.

Yet again we're at the forefront of pushing for the right thing

Anything else interesting from the meeting mate? Should really go sometime!

Frank and Bob Mccunn (head of Performance) were both really good. Some people may have found it a bit dry as it was a lot about the work that goes on behind the scenes and with the academy but I thought it was very informative. Few things that stood out for me: both think that to move to the next level we need our own training centre Oriam is good but our access is too limited and you could tell it frustrated them both. McEneff and Pollock are the fastest and fittest players. Jamie Walker is as fit as any and decisions about him have nothing to do with his fitness. Vision for, and work being done to build up the academy are impressive. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I agree. 

However, he'd need to accept a contract that is fitting fur a rotation role at Hearts. 

Massive drop from his reported £10k a week and you'd think a lower league English team will throw around £4/5k at him.

Hes really not worth that.

If he wants to play for around  £2k a week and fight for his place then I think he's worth it. 

However, I don't think he'll move to us for that kind of money. 

And imo he's not worth  the big money that McKay, Beni, Boyce etc are. 

I think McKay is the best comparison and I think you are right in what you say because McKay has come here and grabbed his chance with both hands to earn a contract extension on better money whereas Woodburn has struggled to make the same sort of impact he needs to be careful he does not do a Demi Mitchell though and recognise the opportunity for what it is and take it

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think McKay is the best comparison and I think you are right in what you say because McKay has come here and grabbed his chance with both hands to earn a contract extension on better money whereas Woodburn has struggled to make the same sort of impact he needs to be careful he does not do a Demi Mitchell though and recognise the opportunity for what it is and take it

If I'm being honest. 

I want us to keep Simms and get another forward in. 

In terms of value for money, I'd keep Walker over Woodburn and use walker from the bench if he was happy with that. 

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Mckay is 6 years older than him and hasn't grabbed previous chances. At our level a lot is about timing. Good players who are about to click.

The club might think Woodburn is about to do so.

I'm not saying we should go for him or that just that if the club does, its an informed decision.

29 minutes ago, maroonblood said:

Frank and Bob Mccunn (head of Performance) were both really good. Some people may have found it a bit dry as it was a lot about the work that goes on behind the scenes and with the academy but I thought it was very informative. Few things that stood out for me: both think that to move to the next level we need our own training centre Oriam is good but our access is too limited and you could tell it frustrated them both. McEneff and Pollock are the fastest and fittest players. Jamie Walker is as fit as any and decisions about him have nothing to do with his fitness. Vision for, and work being done to build up the academy are impressive. 

Thanks for that bud. Interesting re Oriam

31 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If I'm being honest. 

I want us to keep Simms and get another forward in. 

In terms of value for money, I'd keep Walker over Woodburn and use walker from the bench if he was happy with that. 

Every time I read a Walker interview he is unhappy about game time and his lack of starts so I do not think that is an option Woodburn has the potential to be better any way 

22 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Mckay is 6 years older than him and hasn't grabbed previous chances. At our level a lot is about timing. Good players who are about to click.

I'm not saying we should go for him or that just that if the club does, its an informed decision.

Good post. I doubt anyone could argue Woodburn doesn’t have skill. Some players take time. 

john thomas
14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Thanks for that bud. Interesting re Oriam

It is good information . Don't suppose it will change opinions on Walker's fitness 

Think he is judged unfairly in that department due to his deportment (best description i could think of) off the ball

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Every time I read a Walker interview he is unhappy about game time and his lack of starts so I do not think that is an option Woodburn has the potential to be better any way 

Agreed on walker. 

Woodburn  also has the potential to be worse. 

I can't see him moving to Edinburgh for a fraction of his wage. He's not worth putting in big money for us. 

Right now, out of the loanees leaving only Simms leaving causes me concern. 

I think we can replace the rest, easily Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yip, and for me it will depend on what the player wants and what Hearts are prepared to offer. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

6 minutes ago, john thomas said:

It is good information . Don't suppose it will change opinions on Walker's fitness 

Think he is judged unfairly in that department due to his deportment (best description i could think of) off the ball

Mceneff is the new Walker I fear. Looks promising in his cameo appearances but then when he gets a start hardly gets involved.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, wavydavy said:

Mceneff is the new Walker I fear. Looks promising in his cameo appearances but then when he gets a start hardly gets involved.

Disagree ref McEneff, I think he has been involved when he's started, and imo walker not being involved is a myth. 

He's just better or more effective v tired, big, daft centre halfs when he's fresh and not been kicked up and down the park for an hour. Still involved tho. 

Woodburn has had like 2 good games for us and maybe 2 where he gets a 7 out of ten average. Apart from that he has been a complete waste of space and at times has had the effect of us being down to 10 men. For me giving Woodburn any kind of contract that results him being in the top ten highest earners would be criminal 

Absolute Scenes

I like the idea of keeping Walker as a super sub. Agreed he is most effective when coming on against tired teams

20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Disagree ref McEneff, I think he has been involved when he's started, and imo walker not being involved is a myth. 

He's just better or more effective v tired, big, daft centre halfs when he's fresh and not been kicked up and down the park for an hour. Still involved tho. 

Maybe it is overplayed, but it isn't a myth.  There are many games Walker has started and not been involved in whatsoever.    

Lots of replies talking about not taking Woodburn because of how much we would be paying him things like top ten earner or x thousand a week I do not think anyone is suggesting that

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Maybe it is overplayed, but it isn't a myth.  There are many games Walker has started and not been involved in whatsoever.    

Nah, not to any more or less degree than most. 

He's just better v tired defences when he's fresh. 

He's also inconsistent, see Gino, GMS, Woodburn etc 

Big difference 

He's not lazy, never has been. 

Too many posters use that term to slag a player, when in fact it is lazy by them and imo shows they cannot piece together a proper critic of a players performance so resort to phrases like "he's got  no fight/ heart" and "he's lazy". 

That's just sound bites and shows a lack of intelligence on their part imo. 

Walker was never lazy or showed no Heart. 

He's lost a bit pace and is inconsistent but to label him unfit or lazy is just shite. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Lots of replies talking about not taking Woodburn because of how much we would be paying him things like top ten earner or x thousand a week I do not think anyone is suggesting that

Yeah, but he's on a reported £10k a week just now so any deal with us will imo need to be on vastly reduced terms. 

It's not unreasonable to think He'll Likley want as close to that as possible, so that is why it has been brought up. 

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yeah, but he's on a reported £10k a week just now so any deal with us will imo need to be on vastly reduced terms. 

It's not unreasonable to think He'll Likley want as close to that as possible, so that is why it has been brought up. 

At the end of the season he is going to be on £ 0 per week and he has already got himself a bit lost in the English lower leagues and I think abroad too while on loan if Ben and his agent have anything about them at all then they will take a reduced wage in exchange for an opportunity to establish Ben as a first team player and kick start his potential

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Sooks said:

At the end of the season he is going to be on £ 0 per week and he has already got himself a bit lost in the English lower leagues and I think abroad too while on loan if Ben and his agent have anything about them at all then they will take a reduced wage in exchange for an opportunity to establish Ben as a first team player and kick start his potential

Yip, but he'll have other offers and no way is he a first team player just now, he'd need to improve a lot. 

If he left Tommorrow we wouldn't miss him. 

If McKay, Boyce or Simms left we'd all be greetin. 

Tbh, I'd be surprised if he ends up at us. 

His age, the location and the money (we should be offering) likely means he will get a better deal elsewhere. 

But you never know, as you say he will be on £0 per week come the summer-as will many other players. 

56 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Woodburn has had like 2 good games for us and maybe 2 where he gets a 7 out of ten average. Apart from that he has been a complete waste of space and at times has had the effect of us being down to 10 men. For me giving Woodburn any kind of contract that results him being in the top ten highest earners would be criminal 

Agree totally.

Rick Sanchez

As time goes on I'm becoming more content with Souttar leaving as I feel he'll forever be injury prone. Don't get me wrong, he'll be a big miss but he's forever a big miss as it is.

I'm excited to see who our scouting team can find as a first teamer with decent wages. I don't count Popescu but Moore is definitely a bit meh.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

As time goes on I'm becoming more content with Souttar leaving as I feel he'll forever be injury prone. Don't get me wrong, he'll be a big miss but he's forever a big miss as it is.

I'm excited to see who our scouting team can find as a first teamer with decent wages. I don't count Popescu but Moore is definitely a bit meh.

TBH I think most of our loan signings fall into that category and yes I include Simms in there as well.

He is probably the best of a pretty mediocre bunch and I would hope that if we bring in any more loan signings next season that they are step above what we have at the moment.

To the credit of Savage and his team I think our latest permanent signings have been much better than the loan deals.

I would hope that we are going to make more permanent signings next season with a limited number of loans.

Batistuta87
28 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Same here RE Souttar. We miss him a lot as it as so may as well just get on with it and take our chances in the transfer market. 

Looking forward to the summer window. I hope there's no farting about and that we see some decent movement early on as opposed to nothing happening all summer and a 300 page thread on here before anything happens 😂

johnking123

Will all depend on if we are guaranteed european football in the group stages.  Have different levels of quality and numbers needed. 

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, maroonblood said:

Thanks for the info, certainly interesting. Makes more sense why the club has been considering a new training centre in recent times. Thought it might have been rent but if we are restricted with our access then makes sense.

Was there any other interesting points about the academy and what they are going to change with it?

maroonblood
56 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thanks for the info, certainly interesting. Makes more sense why the club has been considering a new training centre in recent times. Thought it might have been rent but if we are restricted with our access then makes sense.

Was there any other interesting points about the academy and what they are going to change with it?

A lot of changes seem to be happening already. Players at every age group now rate themselves after each game on a number of different aspects of their game as do their coaches. These feed into reports as well as allowing them to reflect on where they need to improve. Tactical, physical, mental and one other area I can’t recall. 

Byyy The Light

Haven’t followed the thread so apologies if mentioned before.

What’s the thoughts on Van Veen from Motherwell? Only seen him a handful of times but looks useful every time I’ve watched him.

Think he’d fit our style well.

40 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

What’s the thoughts on Van Veen from Motherwell? Only seen him a handful of times but looks useful every time I’ve watched him.

Motherwell fans are pretty mixed on him so no I don’t think he’s good enough for us.

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Motherwell fans are pretty mixed on him so no I don’t think he’s good enough for us.

What’s the general jist of it? If he’s got no support up top then it’s a bit different from if he was playing for us

5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

What’s the general jist of it? If he’s got no support up top then it’s a bit different from if he was playing for us

Positionally poor and of course doesn’t have a lot of pace. I’d be hugely underwhelmed if we are looking to sign him. He’s 31 in the summer and hardly prolific.

Byyy The Light
18 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Positionally poor and of course doesn’t have a lot of pace. I’d be hugely underwhelmed if we are looking to sign him. He’s 31 in the summer and hardly prolific.

Fair enough. For me was more a squad filler for the extra games that wouldn’t break the bank. 

2 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Is he not about 33 and a lower league journeyman? He's decent for Motherwell but I'd hope we'll be aiming a damn site higher than him.

Edit - 31

johnking123
6 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Is he not about 33 and a lower league journeyman? He's decent for Motherwell but I'd hope we'll be aiming a damn site higher than him.

Edit - 31

Aiming a lot higher than that Thankfully. Could be even have a Brazilian playing up front for us next season. But will depend if we get to European group stages.

Impressed with the lad Vokins at left back for County yesterday. 

Not really one for jumping on the “played well against us so let’s have him” train but dealt well with two different types of wide players and offered a lot going forward for them. On loan from Southampton.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

As good a season as we have had, to deal with Europe and continue to get better in the league we need to improve in every 3rd of the field.

IMO we can even justify bringing in a properly decent no. 2 goalie as at 40 I wouldn’t want Gordon playing every game next year so the No. 2 would get some game time.

We need at least 2 or 3 new attackers/a decent striker.

We need an all action midfielder who can defend and attack. 

We need at least one additional CB.

We also need a bit more squad depth.

I am fairly sure 3 or 4 players will depart so I think it will be another busy transfer window.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Aiming a lot higher than that Thankfully. Could be even have a Brazilian playing up front for us next season. But will depend if we get to European group stages.

Hopefully the Man City lad on loan in Belgium at the moment (on loan of course).

Maybe worth looking at the Dutch 2nd league for a striker. Thijs Dallinga seems to be scoring a goal a game and is only 21 for example. 

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

As good a season as we have had, to deal with Europe and continue to get better in the league we need to improve in every 3rd of the field.

IMO we can even justify bringing in a properly decent no. 2 goalie as at 40 I wouldn’t want Gordon playing every game next year so the No. 2 would get some game time.

We need at least 2 or 3 new attackers/a decent striker.

We need an all action midfielder who can defend and attack. 

We need at least one additional CB.

We also need a bit more squad depth.

I am fairly sure 3 or 4 players will depart so I think it will be another busy transfer window.

💯 by my counts we’re going to need 4 players to replace the loan players add another 2 for a good keeper and a replacement for soapy so that’s 6 before we even add to the squad. So can see 7/8 players coming in if we get the euro stages which we will when we destroy the vermin in a fortnight !!

Batistuta87
14 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

He has had a few decent games for Motherwell to be fair but don't think he's one for us. Think he's already 30/31 so he won't have any sell on value - which isn't everything of course but our primary targets will be those who do. Bruce Anderson would do me as another option - in addition to getting Simms back on a full season loan or on a Beni deal if Everton don't see a future for him there (I'd be surprised if they did. He's good but he's not EPL good). 

What are the chances of Simms being loaned out again and us getting him? Fairly high I would think.  The issue is we won't know until last minute as teams normally wait until near deadline day to loan players out.

If we are going to increase our squad size for Europe hopefully it's mainly with loan players from EPL2.  Low risk fillers and if they don't work out (Woodburn for example) we're not stick with them.  They will also give us the option of ending the loan in January if (highly likely) we are out of Europe.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***