*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yes, but if he was part of Brentford's Academy, they would get £20M - £24M for him from the likes of Arsenal

But he isn’t.  That’s the way of the football world.  We are a backwater. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

south morocco
11 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I'm not absolutely 100% sure but I'm about 95% sure that VAT is only actually ultimately paid by individuals, i.e. it's charged on items and services bought by people.  Companies will generally pay prices not including VAT, and in any circumstances where they do pay VAT when buying something, they'll be able to reclaim that as part of quarterly VAT returns. So no, player purchases wouldn't incur VAT.

All vat registered individuals or companies have to pay Vat liabilities  full stop.

Ricardo Quaresma
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

We can do better

We must have a fair bit of dosh sitting in the bank already, even more so once the Hickey money lands in our account. 

We're going to have some team next season. We'll swat most SPL sides away with a rotated XI. 

FarmerTweedy
52 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

While it's good to get money for the Hickey transfer, it's a real shame we couldn't command a higher fee

How good can we get it for the next Hickey? Are we in a position to demand big money, like the Gordon deal?

To get deals like the Gordon one, we need two things. Firstly, we need the player to have proven himself a bit more. Hickey had shown he was good and had potential to become really good, but Gordon had shown he was already absolutely top class by the time we sold him. Secondly, we need to get players tied up on long term deals. Hickey only had a year left on his contract and we weren't able (or maybe willing) to offer him a big enough deal to persuade him to stay long term. Gordon signed a long term deal but he was widely reported to be on £12k per week basic with scope for bonuses to take it as high as £18k. It paid off big time with Gordon but we're not in a position to offer deals of quite that magnitude now! 

One thing I will say is that although we can't offer deals like the one we gave Gordon, I think we're far better placed now to hold onto future Hickeys for longer. When we sold him, we'd been demoted to the Championship and were a shambles in a football sense, having had two or three years where, aside from one or two standout games, we generally ranged from mediocre to garbage. The sad fact is, there was really no good reason why Hickey should have wanted to stay with us and sign a long term deal back then. In fact, given where he went, and the other clubs apparently interested, he'd have been crazy to stay with us back then.  Now, we're clearly in a very different and much better place as a club, and I think we'll have a much better chance of persuading future Hickeys (if there ever are any!) to sign those long term deals and continue their development here before hopefully moving on to even bigger things in deals much more lucrative to us!

Churchill Barrier
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We must have a fair bit of dosh sitting in the bank already, even more so once the Hickey money lands in our account. 

We're going to have some team next season. We'll swat most SPL sides away with a rotated XI. 

We need to start making signings that are considerably better than the likes of Aberdeen, hibs, so far our signings don't fill me with confidence that we will pull away in 3 rd again. Last season the teams below us were woeful,  they wont be as bad this season.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

To get deals like the Gordon one, we need two things. Firstly, we need the player to have proven himself a bit more. Hickey had shown he was good and had potential to become really good, but Gordon had shown he was already absolutely top class by the time we sold him. Secondly, we need to get players tied up on long term deals. Hickey only had a year left on his contract and we weren't able (or maybe willing) to offer him a big enough deal to persuade him to stay long term. Gordon signed a long term deal but he was widely reported to be on £12k per week basic with scope for bonuses to take it as high as £18k. It paid off big time with Gordon but we're not in a position to offer deals of quite that magnitude now! 

One thing I will say is that although we can't offer deals like the one we gave Gordon, I think we're far better placed now to hold onto future Hickeys for longer. When we sold him, we'd been demoted to the Championship and were a shambles in a football sense, having had two or three years where, aside from one or two standout games, we generally ranged from mediocre to garbage. The sad fact is, there was really no good reason why Hickey should have wanted to stay with us and sign a long term deal back then. In fact, given where he went, and the other clubs apparently interested, he'd have been crazy to stay with us back then.  Now, we're clearly in a very different and much better place as a club, and I think we'll have a much better chance of persuading future Hickeys (if there ever are any!) to sign those long term deals and continue their development here before hopefully moving on to even bigger things in deals much more lucrative to us!

Yeah a year in the championship as opposed to Seria A 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️, can’t blame him really. 

FarmerTweedy
38 minutes ago, south morocco said:

All vat registered individuals or companies have to pay Vat liabilities  full stop.

VAT registered companies have to charge VAT on the relevant sales and/or services they provide to their customers, and pass that VAT onto HMRC. They may have to pay VAT on things they purchase but if they do, they can then deduct the amount of VAT they've paid out from the VAT they've collected from customers, and just have to pass on the balance to HMRC.  

Finlay James
13 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

We need to start making signings that are considerably better than the likes of Aberdeen, hibs, so far our signings don't fill me with confidence that we will pull away in 3 rd again. Last season the teams below us were woeful,  they wont be as bad this season.

Aberdeen and Hibs were nowhere near us last season and next season will be no different.  Aberdeen will improve marginally but will still be bottom six whereas Hibs are likely to be in the bottom two.

Meanwhile, we will be much stronger and finish even further ahead of the rest.

Nookie Bear
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Just need two quality strikers and it’s game on. 

Mr Elwood P
22 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Souttar leaving for nothing suggests not.

FarmerTweedy
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah a year in the championship as opposed to Seria A 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️, can’t blame him really. 

Sadly, no.  It's also worth bearing in mind that we didn't know for sure that the Championship would even go ahead, or if it might start then football might be stopped again. It didn't seem inconceivable at the time that we could have been out of the Premiership for more than one year, and Hickey wouldn't have been human if he didn't wonder if opportunities like Bologna might not come around again if he spent a year or possibly two playing or maybe even sitting idle in the Scottish lower leagues.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

While it's good to get money for the Hickey transfer, it's a real shame we couldn't command a higher fee

How good can we get it for the next Hickey? Are we in a position to demand big money, like the Gordon deal?

Wasn't the CG situation very different though ?   I think his contract had a lot longer than 6 months to run when Romanov managed to start a biding war, plus CG had been first team goalie for 4 or 5  years so was much more experienced than Hickey was. 

I agree with you that if we want to attract silly money for our future  ambitious young stars, then we need to plan things  better in terms of awarding longer contracts/extensions.

9 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

I agree but we're not finished yet, I think the bits in bold are the areas we're looking for.

First XI

Gordon 

New RCB Halkett Kingsley 

Atkinson Devlin Beni Cochrane 

New FW          McKay 

New CF

Rotated XI

New GK

Neilson Sibbick Rowles

Smith  Haring  New CM Halliday

Forrest       Grant

Boyce

10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just need two quality strikers and it’s game on. 

And RCB to strengthen first XI imo. 

Still think we need a bit more squad depth. 

JamboAndrew
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I agree but we're not finished yet, I think the bits in bold are the areas we're looking for.

First XI

Gordon 

New RCB Halkett Kingsley 

Atkinson Devlin Beni Cochrane 

New FW          McKay 

New CF

Rotated XI

New GK

Neilson Sibbick Rowles

Smith  Haring  New CM Halliday

Forrest       Grant

Boyce

When you put it that way, if we get signings in if a decent standard in the bold positions, then that's a good bit of depth for a long season.

8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wasn't the CG situation very different though ?   I think his contract had a lot longer than 6 months to run when Romanov managed to start a biding war, plus CG had been first team goalie for 4 or 5  years so was much more experienced than Hickey was. 

I agree with you that if we want to attract silly money for our future  ambitious young stars, then we need to plan things  better in terms of awarding longer contracts/extensions.

and he got put on massive wages to get him to sign

FarmerTweedy
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

There's a big difference between a young player in their late teens or early twenties, deciding where best to continue their development, and a player in their mid twenties with a history of serious injuries, deciding on a contract offer that they'll be well aware will probably cover the peak years of their career, probably be the most lucrative one of their career, and quite possibly be the final one of their career if they suffer any more injuries. 

2 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

When you put it that way, if we get signings in if a decent standard in the bold positions, then that's a good bit of depth for a long season.

Yeah, 22 players, add Stewart some young lads like C.Smith, Henderson, we will have a ridiculously strong squad, good balance, good age and different types of players for different scenarios & formations. 

The competition for places looks fierce because the majority of that rotated XI can be first picks if they play well enough. We're going to have injuries, dips in form, suspensions and will never really be weaker.

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Gav M said:

and he got put on massive wages to get him to sign

Yeah, thats true. It probably helped convince clubs like Sunderland that he was indeed a top-notch goalie.    I wonder if we ever considered throwing silly money at Souttar to get him to sign a new contract - maybe we did and he still held out, who knows.   

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Sadly, no.  It's also worth bearing in mind that we didn't know for sure that the Championship would even go ahead, or if it might start then football might be stopped again. It didn't seem inconceivable at the time that we could have been out of the Premiership for more than one year, and Hickey wouldn't have been human if he didn't wonder if opportunities like Bologna might not come around again if he spent a year or possibly two playing or maybe even sitting idle in the Scottish lower leagues.

Definitely. Good luck to him and if we get £2m extra for him that’s about right I think. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yeah, thats true. It probably helped convince clubs like Sunderland that he was indeed a top-notch goalie.    I wonder if we ever considered throwing silly money at Souttar to get him to sign a new contract - maybe we did and he still held out, who knows.   

Did we not offer him £8k a week, Mackinley nearly had a stroke when he saw the offer. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Did we not offer him £8k a week, Mackinley nearly had a stroke when he saw the offer. 

Remember hearing this, but not the amount. 

Think I remember being annoyed at Mackinley at the time, but tbh, its completely the right reaction. Souttar is injury prone as **** and is apparently already nursing an injury from 1 Scotland appearance. To make him the highest paid player at effectively tie up 2 players wages on a guy that hasn't played a full season for us yet was probably on the dafter side. Might have been to just get the contract signed and then sell him on in a year, but nonetheless appreciate Mackinleys reaction now. 

I firmly do not believe he'll make 50 appearances for Rangers over his contract. 

I think we've pulled a blinder getting Rowles in. Suspect as Robbie has said, after those world cup games getting him would have been very tough. Loving our involvement in the Aussie market, would like to see more. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Remember hearing this, but not the amount. 

Think I remember being annoyed at Mackinley at the time, but tbh, its completely the right reaction. Souttar is injury prone as **** and is apparently already nursing an injury from 1 Scotland appearance. To make him the highest paid player at effectively tie up 2 players wages on a guy that hasn't played a full season for us yet was probably on the dafter side. Might have been to just get the contract signed and then sell him on in a year, but nonetheless appreciate Mackinleys reaction now. 

I firmly do not believe he'll make 50 appearances for Rangers over his contract. 

I think we've pulled a blinder getting Rowles in. Suspect as Robbie has said, after those world cup games getting him would have been very tough. Loving our involvement in the Aussie market, would like to see more. 

Definitely, hopefully it was a pay as you play deal. I think with Goldson staying he’s even less likely to play even when he’s fit. It’s astounding that he didn’t manage 20 games on the trot for us in 6 years with the club. 

3 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Ok, I take it back. Silly season starts here.

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 23.15.44.png

I'm reading that as Espanyol are looking at Beni?

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

And it's that attitude north and south of the border that ensures nothing will ever change.

We aren't a backwater. EPL players come up to Scotland and consistently fail to make an impact.

While other players from up here go south and end up with EPL winners medals, domestic cups and in some cases champions league trophies. 

All we lack up here is the finance to create a big circus like they do in England to create a spectacle the world will pay attention to. Which in turn provides them with massive finances to spend on players.

But they still always comes to Scotland and take high quality players to boost their ranks. And because of negative attitudes towards our game they are able to do so while robbing us blind.

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm reading that as Espanyol are looking at Beni?

Perhaps you should read where Espanyol intend to deploy Beni.

1 minute ago, The Hogfather said:

Perhaps you should read where Espanyol intend to deploy Beni.

:D 

I was so focused on trying to figure out which team were allegedly looking at him!

Aussie Jambo
11 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

What the actual.. is this Spanglish or what? Beni in goals? Someone in Spain started early this morning. 🍷🍷🍷🍷🤤

16 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Aw not you again total nonsense worse than anything n't have seen on here hang your head in shame! 

The Hogfather
6 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

Aw not you again total nonsense worse than anything n't have seen on here hang your head in shame! 

...yes?

Special Agent Dale Cooper
12 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

I think you're missing his point somewhat...

Batistuta87
46 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Good old Moray Firth Radio - best in the business with a direct line into the boardroom at Tynecastle. I won't go anywhere else for my Hearts news 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😂

Edited by Batistuta87

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Aberdeen and Hibs were nowhere near us last season and next season will be no different.  Aberdeen will improve marginally but will still be bottom six whereas Hibs are likely to be in the bottom two.

Meanwhile, we will be much stronger and finish even further ahead of the rest.

100%

Aussie Jambo
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

They have a great Progressive Trance slot on every Friday night, between 0200-0204, I hear. 

Followed by Traditional Scottish dancing music of old 2.05am - 2.00am. Cannae whack a bit Jimmy Shand. Yeeeehuech. 

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

We need a translation for the translation, please. 

:gok:

I think he went wrong pinning his hopes on Moray Firth Radio.   :kirk:

Tommy Brown
43 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Ah is this why we’ve not signed a backup goalie - we already have one?

Certainly believe the even Beni with an injured knee is better the Stewart.

7 hours ago, Bauld said:

And it's that attitude north and south of the border that ensures nothing will ever change.

We aren't a backwater. EPL players come up to Scotland and consistently fail to make an impact.

While other players from up here go south and end up with EPL winners medals, domestic cups and in some cases champions league trophies. 

All we lack up here is the finance to create a big circus like they do in England to create a spectacle the world will pay attention to. Which in turn provides them with massive finances to spend on players.

But they still always comes to Scotland and take high quality players to boost their ranks. And because of negative attitudes towards our game they are able to do so while robbing us blind.

Wages wise, turnover wise, you can’t argue we are anything other than a backwater compared to the EPL.  The poster I was replying to was saying that had we been Brentford we would have received £20m for Hickey. Point I was making is that it’s all relevant based on finances. £20m to Brentford is about 7/8 players annual salary costs. £3m to us is about about double number that in annual player costs. So in actual fact, or reality, we did pretty well out of the Hickey deal in terms of potential impact on our finances and cost structure. 

8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

It’s been stated before but given how Hearts stuck by him with injuries, most would have expected him to sign another contract and earned us some transfer money. But sentiments like that don’t go down well at Ayebrokes.

Vlad the impaler
7 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Good old Moray Firth Radio - best in the business with a direct line into the boardroom at Tynecastle. I won't go anywhere else for my Hearts news 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😂

It’s got to be the esteemed Douglas Ross reporting this….it’s ok though he’ll be along shortly to change his mind on this transfer 🔜🤯

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Wages wise, turnover wise, you can’t argue we are anything other than a backwater compared to the EPL.  The poster I was replying to was saying that had we been Brentford we would have received £20m for Hickey. Point I was making is that it’s all relevant based on finances. £20m to Brentford is about 7/8 players annual salary costs. £3m to us is about about double number that in annual player costs. So in actual fact, or reality, we did pretty well out of the Hickey deal in terms of potential impact on our finances and cost structure. 

I don't understand your maths here. Are you saying that we only pay £1.5m per year for our total squad salary? Either way, I think you're grossly overestimating what the avearge annual salary for an EPL player is. They aren't all on megabucks, in fact the average annual salary for a Sheffield Utd player last season was around £700k which would would be 15 players annual salary using the £20m figure

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

I think we will. We have properly strengthened the squad so far. If Robbie has to go to the bench now he is bringing in a far better standard of player and we have the prospect of Shankland and Ronan on the horizon too.

The real gems of the standard of Beni and Simms will take longer to get but I expect at least one like that and probably a loan.  I hope it is Simms

gorgieheart
13 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Less than 4 week til 1st league game…….and no striker.

And  ?

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***