Frail - 'big game'

Gambo

We have heard from Frail and some players that the Aberdeen game (and the semi) is a big/important game for us. Do you think this time he will be able to get that message through to (himself) and the players this time?

I hope he has learned from this season(and others) and especially from Tuesday night that you cannot go away from home with 2 wingers (it is very rarely you get one winger on form never mind two) 2 defensive minded midfielders and only one up front.

I would like to see a midfield of Chesney(or Driver if fit), Stewart Wallace and Ruben (or Eggert), with Chesney alternating wings, Ruben breaking up and setting up play and Stewart and Wallace playing box to box, and Nade and Velicka up front.

C'mon the Hearts lets actually go out there and show this game IS big/important to us instead of just telling us it is.

With you on the principle Gambo.

Team selection will always thow up disagreements regarding a particular player but I have to say I thought Lee Wallace looked OK against the dockers when he came on.

Suspect the back 4 still picks itself and we haven't really got many options up front so midfield is a key area.

Assuming everyone is fit in this area, I'd be tempted to go with one out and out attacking player, Ruben and Wallce and then it's a toss up between Eggert and Mikey Stewart.

I think MS form has dipped a bit of late so am unsure about him.

That said, baering in mind the Semi, if Driver and Ches are dodgy, maybe we should go with Ruben, Wallace, Eggert and Mikey saving the other two for Wednesday.

F eck, I don't know, we need a manager.....

Unusually I agree with you.:)

The midfield has been a disaster for two season, with our insistence to play 2 wingers all too often making our midfield lightweight and over exposing our full backs.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the four you play. I would probably go for Driver/Chesney, Stewart, Jonnson, Ruben. However, if we set ourselves up with a balanced midfield and two up top I would be a lot happier.

Velikca whilst our best striker is far from suited to playing up top on his own. He needs some help.

FWIW I don't think it will happen. Not sure why, but I expect the same 4-5-1 type formation we have seen for a while.

I'm not saying Frail is being influenced, however, sub-conciously I supsect he is trying to tread a very thin line of being his own man and keeping Vlad happy. If that makes since, therefore, we almost see a continuation of the previous tactics.

Frail does worry me tactically.

I think that we have been agreeing on this issue about the midfield for some time. And still Frail/VR haven't spotted the weaknesses it brings.

I don't think that Nade/Velicka is a good partnership, but Velicka deserves a game for now due to his goals and Nade was slightly better on Tuesday than he has been.

No doubt it is time that Ksnavicius was rotated back into the side. And Ivaskevicius is due for a game as he has waited patiently in the last few weeks.

No doubt it is time that Ksnavicius was rotated back into the side. And Ivaskevicius is due for a game as he has waited patiently in the last few weeks.

Whilst I fear ou may be correct, the sheep game will be no place for lightwieght fandans.

I suspect a bruising encounter so players will have to show a bit of character. This unfortunately usually means we finish with 10 men.

Anyone now who the corrupt bassa in the black is..??

scott herbertson
I think that we have been agreeing on this issue about the midfield for some time. And still Frail/VR haven't spotted the weaknesses it brings.

I don't think that Nade/Velicka is a good partnership, but Velicka deserves a game for now due to his goals and Nade was slightly better on Tuesday than he has been.

I think a number of us have been agreeing on this since the days of Camazola, who while he was not the most skillful of players provided a balance to the rapier like attacks of Hartley and Skacel, with Brellier digging in deeper.

I am sure a good manager would see that lack of balance easily and restore some consistency and bite to our midfield. We have quality players in the centre though we need to find the best combinations and stick with them except when we want to adjust tactics, and in Driver/ Chesney we have a better than average wide attacking player. We lack, other than Wallace perhaps, a good wide defensive mid.

In attack I stil think we should operate on the basis of Nade plus a nippier player up front together for the first half, then Velicka for Nade in the last 35/40. Although that mights seem wasteful of our top scorer I think it is worth looking at as Velicka visibly tires in the last thirty and is less and less effective.

If we lose both games coming up - then Frail will be out of the running for the managers job. For him it's a big game. For us - our season is pretty much over anyway.

From what I've seen / read / heard on the radio - the team is in a state of flux similar to the months after Burley left. one thing i remember was watching the team turn up and play for half a game - that is happening now.

If things are getting better - then I'd hope Frail can get it right and get us passing the ball rather than watching Banks thump it up the park.

No doubt it is time that Ksnavicius was rotated back into the side. And Ivaskevicius is due for a game as he has waited patiently in the last few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry coco really can't agree with you on this, Ksanavivius has hardly set Tynie or anywhere else alight we have chesny and driver or dare I say Mik...no no not going that far, who are alot better and I cant see the little fella pushing for the first team anytime soon. As for ivaskevicius I hope he never wears maroon again at least not at hearts. Imo he is simply not good enough.

Think back 5 speak for themselves at the moment but for me a good midfield would be chesny, ruben, mikey and driver, think when larry returns he should slot in for mikey and that gives us that attacking midfielder we need. Right now we've not got 1 decent central attacking/driving player at all apart from kingston. On top would be Velicka and Nade, would like to see a youngster like branny given a chance but think benny has more chance at the moment which is frightning. :wacko:

I don't think that Nade/Velicka is a good partnership' date=' but Velicka deserves a game for now due to his goals and Nade was slightly better on Tuesday than he has been.

[b']No doubt it is time that Ksnavicius was rotated back into the side. And Ivaskevicius is due for a game as he has waited patiently in the last few weeks.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Sorry coco really can't agree with you on this, Ksanavivius has hardly set Tynie or anywhere else alight and chesny and driver or dare I say Mik...no no not going that far. As for ivaskevicius I hope he never wears maroon again at least not at hearts. Imo he is simply not good enough.

Think back 5 speak for themselves at the moment but for me a good midfield would be chesny, ruben, mikey and driver, think when larry returns he should slot in for mikey and that gives us that attacking midfielder we need. Right now we've not got 1 decent attacking/driving player at all apart from kingston. On top would be Velicka and Nade, would like to see a youngster like branny given a chance but think benny has more chance at the moment which is frightning. :wacko:

Was being sarcastic on these players! I hope we don't see either of them again for the first team.

Was being sarcastic on these players! I hope we don't see either of them again for the first team.

Soz coco. I just hope this deadwood is cleared and the thought of these guys coming back in is a slap in the face.

But I was being honest about benny, think frail has a soft spot for him as he played him and bumped him up all the time in the reserve team. But thats all he'll ever be good for.

If we lose both games coming up - then Frail will be out of the running for the managers job. For him it's a big game. For us - our season is pretty much over anyway.

If Frail isn't already out the running for the manager's job then god helps us all. He has scraped one win and whilst they try to lead us to believe performances have improved that is mostly nonsense.

I agree about our season, other than next Wednesday where we have a small chance to salvage something. However, for me the league campaign is over, no chance we will go down or get into the top 6 in my opinion so all this talk of 'big game' is a load of rubbish

Good comments generally.

I reckon we should concentrate on:

1. Diddy Cup

2. Staying just clear enough of Gretna (*)

3. Blooding the youngsters

while we get a manager and let him bid for his own players at the end of the season.

(*) Yeah, a top 6 finish would be lovely blah blah blah. But we're not going to qualify for Europe, and in many ways, "big" games against the grewsome twosome woudl be false dawns as the players wou dbe "up" for them and then back to the usual guff of losing agsinst the rest of the teams. We need to be able to deal competently and regularly with the other teams.

[quote name=Jam11;31452

Think back 5 speak for themselves at the moment but for me a good midfield would be chesny' date=' ruben, mikey and driver, think when larry returns he should slot in for mikey and that gives us that attacking midfielder we need. Right now we've not got 1 decent central attacking/driving player at all apart from kingston. On top would be Velicka and Nade, would like to see a youngster like branny given a chance but think benny has more chance at the moment which is frightning. :wacko:[/quote]

Is playing two wingers away from home the way to go??? It has rarely worked for us so far.

Patrick Bateman

Frail might as well say "The lads are buzzing in training" whilst licking his lips furiously.

Thats how much respect he commands.

Is playing two wingers away from home the way to go??? It has rarely worked for us so far.

Who says it can't work or is it we're not good enough for it work? Imo I think our 451 formation can work away from home, think back to Bordeaux, we played that system and it worked. I know its a different team now but it has worked before. As I said in a previous post I think whats lacking is a cameron/hartley like player. At this moment we don't have anyone to do that!

Vlad_Knows_Best

Stewart should be moved on at the end of the season.....he is dire.

I would like to see a midfield of Chesney(or Driver if fit), Stewart Wallace and Ruben (or Eggert), with Chesney alternating wings, Ruben breaking up and setting up play and Stewart and Wallace playing box to box, and Nade and Velicka up front.

Stewart playing box to box............never had such a good laugh in ages.

Midfield should be at the moment:

Chesney Ruben Eggert Driver

When Kingston gets back it should be:

Chesney Ruben Kingston Driver

Midfield should be at the moment:

Chesney Ruben Eggert Driver

I'm talking about going to Aberdeen tomorrow. I would not like to go there with 2 wingers (great if both on form, but how often does that happen?) and 2 so called defensive midfielders.

I'm talking about going to Aberdeen tomorrow. I would not like to go there with 2 wingers (great if both on form, but how often does that happen?) and 2 so called defensive midfielders.

I can understand why fans want to see midfields such as these with Ruben and the 2 wingers.

I can't understand why Romanov/Malofeev/Korobotchka/Frail can't see that we are getting outgunned in midfield week after week.

The Mighty Thor

This is the kind of game where i would sacrifice Robbie and go with 3 at the back, a midfield of 5 and 2 up top. Choke Aberdeen in midfield and let two strikers have ago at them up front.

Archived