Respect for referees

Jambo 4 Ever

Not saying refs in our league are always right but I think players should be more respectful towards them

when was the last time arguing and answering back got the player anywhere?

https://rugbyonslaught.com/video-shows-football-referee-lost-for-words-at-respect-rugby-referees-enjoy/?fbclid=IwAR1JmIoLyImp4sCULpKZSpLGQQWx1aYuvvxdERKINWvTGSiUKZzgRWdOa_8

Literally a different ball game. Rugby refs are actually good at their jobs and show humility and honesty when they do make mistakes. Scottish football refs are stubborn, egotistical, cowardly and inept

15 minutes ago, Marczero said:

They players respect the refeeres in rugby,  probably because they don't cheat and favour certain teams 

Cheats are everywhere in Sport and Life,

Respect will be a given only after there is root and branch reform of the Referee department happens. The system just now is rotten to the core with acolytes of either side of the OldFirm being promoted not on ability but on the refereeing association that they are members of. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Maybe the refs would get more respect, if they got more of the big decisions right and did not get swayed by Old Firm bias!!!!

38 minutes ago, Marczero said:

They players respect the refeeres in rugby,  probably because they don't cheat and favour certain teams 

:spoton:

39 minutes ago, Marczero said:

Agreed. A lot of refs in football think they are celebrities, so act like it. Also in cahoots withe the SFA who can not see beyond the OF.

38 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Literally a different ball game. Rugby refs are actually good at their jobs and show humility and honesty when they do make mistakes. Scottish football refs are stubborn, egotistical, cowardly and inept

Very few top rugby refs haven't played at a decent level as well.

best in the land

Corrupt referees dont deserve respect.

They bring it on themselves in scottish football anyway. 

Tired of referees ruining matches by cheating. 

Coming out and explaining big decisions would be a start in helping this for a start. 

highlandjambo3

For me it’s simple……from a very early age we’re coached to “cheat”, it ever used to be like that but it is now, at foul replays/reviews pundits often say things like “he felt the presence of a person behind him and drew the foul….etc”, almost every team, almost every game someone if faking a fall down.  This has an obvious detrimental effect on how our referees view our players and vice versa…..some obvious fouls are missed by referees sometimes because of the fake fouls flying about, a “boy that cried wolf” sort of thing.  It has an effect (negative or positive, you decide) on how refs view players and how players view refs………Unfortunately some player attitude of “continually” trying to draw a foul with the motivation of “I’m bound to get one at some point” is not helping our game.

Flick to rugby……any faking it there?  I don’t think so, the ref generally has an easy and correct decision to make, ok it often takes video replays to make this decision but, it’s almost always accurate so, the ref officiates the game fairly, respect is earned by the players.

Will football ever go this way (even with VAR)……no chance.

highlandjambo3
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

For me it’s simple……from a very early age we’re coached to “cheat”, it ever used to be like that but it is now, at foul replays/reviews pundits often say things like “he felt the presence of a person behind him and drew the foul….etc”, almost every team, almost every game someone if faking a fall down.  This has an obvious detrimental effect on how our referees view our players and vice versa…..some obvious fouls are missed by referees sometimes because of the fake fouls flying about, a “boy that cried wolf” sort of thing.  It has an effect (negative or positive, you decide) on how refs view players and how players view refs………Unfortunately some player attitude of “continually” trying to draw a foul with the motivation of “I’m bound to get one at some point” is not helping our game.

Flick to rugby……any faking it there?  I don’t think so, the ref generally has an easy and correct decision to make, ok it often takes video replays to make this decision but, it’s almost always accurate so, the ref officiates the game fairly, respect is earned by the players.

Will football ever go this way (even with VAR)……no chance.

Ok……forgot to mention…..they’re cheating bassas as well 😂

1 hour ago, Marczero said:

Exactly👍

There is plenty of cheating in both rugby codes, but generally the refs are respected and they don't tolerate dissent. 

A few years back in England the refs experimented with punishing dissent by moving a free kick forward 10 yards or something similar. I have no idea why they abandoned that as it seemed a good idea to reduce dissent. 

That being said, the refs up here deserve all the dissent they get for being useless, corrupt *******s 😤 😁

One thing that is really annoying about a player going OTT with dissent is that if you look back at an incident after a player has been booked for dissent, they’re (the player) almost always right, and I say that from my experience of being a referee. I rarely booked anyone for dissent unless it was proper abusive and personal. Rather try to calm the situation down because there’s literally nothing you can do after you’ve made a decision. Player reaction genuinely does tell you a lot but at the same time it’s not easy being a referee. The other player is usually walking away sniggering, having conned you, like Porteous after his dive on Tuesday. Thankfully Simms seems the type that can keep a lid on it. 

Even as far back as Tiny Wharton, who when asked who would win in an upcoming Rangers (rip) match  that he was officiating, he replied “ I know who will win, ra gers” . This was relayed to me some years ago by a Wharton family friend.

This open bias is why , from this particular fella anyway, they will get no respect.

5 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Even as far back as Tiny Wharton, who when asked who would win in an upcoming Rangers (rip) match  that he was officiating, he replied “ I know who will win, ra gers” . This was relayed to me some years ago by a Wharton family friend.

This open bias is why , from this particular fella anyway, they will get no respect.

Alex Ferguson's wee story about a 1960's linesman is another example. 

He tried and failed to stop a throw in and fell to the ground in doing so. He looked up at the linesman who said:

"It's a'right, Fergie, it's oor ba'"

2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Hear hear

N Lincs Jambo
46 minutes ago, Vansen said:

There is plenty of cheating in both rugby codes, but generally the refs are respected and they don't tolerate dissent. 

A few years back in England the refs experimented with punishing dissent by moving a free kick forward 10 yards or something similar. I have no idea why they abandoned that as it seemed a good idea to reduce dissent. 

That being said, the refs up here deserve all the dissent they get for being useless, corrupt *******s 😤 😁

There certainly is cheating in rugby. Most difficult (in my opinion) to apportion blame for is the collapsing of a scrum and I feel that if a ref has given a penalty against a team for this then the opposing team will try to collapse it again in the hope that the ref sides the same way as last time.

With regards to moving the offence forward 10 yards, this was an idea borrowed from rugby. If the offending team hadn't retreated 10 yards when the opposition was ready to resume play from the penalty the ref moved it forward 10 yards. It happens far less now that the team with the penalty can kick for touch and get the line-out.

As far as dissent in rugby is concerned, when I played only the captain and the pack leader (if the captain was a back) could approach the ref to question a decision. There's no way you would ever get a whole team surrounding the ref screaming, effing and blinding like you do/did in football. 

All that said certainly in Scottish football the refs don't deserve respsect as they are in the main OF sycophants, supporters and cheating bassas!

Bazzas right boot

The players and managers need to take their share of the blame as well. 

Players  Litterally go out their way   to try and con the officials by exagerating injuries, faking injuries and  generally cheating. 

This is now accepted. 

This is brushed off as gamesmanship, but the bull shit of winning penalties and playing for fouls needs to stop. It's not clever, it's cheating and makes the officials jobs much harder. 

Far harsher penalties should be issued to players and even clubs for cheating. 

In Rugby they are men and generally act like that. 

In football their like daft we laddies half the time. 

The women players generally act in a far more professional way in regards to play acting and cheating. 

In Scotland there is a general incompetencey tho from the officials that is frustrating. 

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

In Scotland there is a general incompetencey tho from the officials that is frustrating. 

There's also blatant favouritism - McDonald, Davis...

And a refusal to admit any mistakes - Brines...

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Boof said:

There's also blatant favouritism - McDonald, Davis...

And a refusal to admit any mistakes - Brines...

Definitely some, but I think 95% of the issue is competence, they are just pretty shit. 

jambo-in-furness
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Respect is earned not given.

This,  plus cheats are never recognised as respect worthy.

been here before

Every single thing about rugby is absolute wank.

The only exception to that is the refs and the way in which they control both the game and the players.

Respect is earned not given and the biased, cheating, inept imposters from the west coast that are promoted hand over fist against every other referee that has worked hard locally in every other area of Scotland deserve absolutely ****ing zero respect. 

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, jamboozy said:

Maybe it's a true story however having seen him refereeing numerous Hearts matches he was without doubt the best and fairest in that era. 

1 hour ago, jambo-in-furness said:

This,  plus cheats are never recognised as respect worthy.

Yep. Piss weak individuals that bend to the Glasgow crowd EVERY time.

Totally unworthy of respect. 

Respect also works both ways, most of our refs think it's all about them once they have a little bit of authority. 

In rugby you can hear the refs explain their decision and maybe that's all that's needed.they also have TMO helping them and although it slows the game down more often than not it sorts out the decisions. 

Refs need to start clamping down on every player that trys to deceive them not just the non old firm players. 

How many times have refs failed to card a player because the game has just started, has already been booked or its late in the match and the game is over. 

Our refs are a huge problem in the development of our game and it doesn't look like changing anytime soon. 

Edited by jackal

3 hours ago, Marczero said:

Also helps that if they disagree the team is penalised further.

Honestly VAR would help in football. The referee's absolute word, which can't be overturned, leads to a lot of the resentment.

Also, as a latecomer to watching football heavily, it's always astounded me that a single outfield referee is somehow supposed to spot every foul, even with the help of two linesman. Even basketball, with its far smaller court, has three referees plus an official at the scorer's table. American football has 7 match officials for the same number of players and roughly the same field size as association football.

Having an assistant referee on the field who generally stationed himself on the opposite side of the action as the referee always seemed sensible to me. But football is nothing if not slow to change.

Edited by Led Tasso

6 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not saying refs in our league are always right but I think players should be more respectful towards them

https://rugbyonslaught.com/video-shows-football-referee-lost-for-words-at-respect-rugby-referees-enjoy/?fbclid=IwAR1JmIoLyImp4sCULpKZSpLGQQWx1aYuvvxdERKINWvTGSiUKZzgRWdOa_8

There would be more respect if some refs came from parts of Scotland other than Glasgow/Lamarkshire.

6 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You actually think anybody can respect officials that lack impartiality, cheat, lie, accept bribes, have no accountability to anyone except the old firm and destroy our game frolm the inside.

Extraordinary that you think we should respect them just because they have a unirorm on

So respect doesn't have anything to do with anything except authority, is that what you mean?

Majority of the refs are from the West they have all had old firm games Hearts and Hibs games can’t tell me the refs we have, Have declared they don’t support one out the 4 teams . 

The Scottish refs and the SFA are corrupt to the core . Should have refs from Europe. Maybe a couple of football associations get together and rotate refs Scotland,Holland,Belgium,Portugal 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

There would be more respect if some refs came from parts of Scotland other than Glasgow/Lamarkshire.

Yeh and some English refs too perhaps might help 

7 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Yup, yup, yup and yup.

part_time_jambo
10 hours ago, Marczero said:

Nobody would know if they did. Minority sport apart from when the sandwich munchers come out for internationals.

3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Majority of the refs are from the West they have all had old firm games Hearts and Hibs games can’t tell me the refs we have, Have declared they don’t support one out the 4 teams . 

The Scottish refs and the SFA are corrupt to the core . Should have refs from Europe. Maybe a couple of football associations get together and rotate refs Scotland,Holland,Belgium,Portugal 

Its ridiculous. 

If the SFA ensured that refs were promoted proportionately across the various internal local associations, they could make sure a ref from Aberdeen refereed Hearts v Rangers, or a ref from Edinburgh refereed Celtic v Dundee etc. Instead our choices are, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow or Renfrewshire. So in essence, Rangers/Celtic, Celtic/Rangers, Rangers/Celtic, Rangers/Celtic. 

Its a complete and utter farce and its about damn time the clubs on the east coast clubbed together and used their collective voice to call this out. 

It reeks and the SFA should be forced to explain why EVERY FIFA list official is from one of the aforementioned 4 associations, all of which are a stones throw from Glasgow and there is none from the rest of Scotland. It makes absolutely no sense. I can also pretty much guarentee that the rest of the top flight referees are almost exclusively from those 4 associations too. 

By not calling it out, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee Utd, ICT, Ross County, the Fife clubs etc. are all doing a massive disservice to their fans, because it is crystal clear to all with eyes that the current crop aren't good enough and there is clear favouritism going on which is having a negative impact on the quality and impartiality of officials. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Its ridiculous. 

If the SFA ensured that refs were promoted proportionately across the various internal local associations, they could make sure a ref from Aberdeen refereed Hearts v Rangers, or a ref from Edinburgh refereed Celtic v Dundee etc. Instead our choices are, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow or Renfrewshire. So in essence, Rangers/Celtic, Celtic/Rangers, Rangers/Celtic, Rangers/Celtic. 

Its a complete and utter farce and its about damn time the clubs on the east coast clubbed together and used their collective voice to call this out. 

It reeks and the SFA should be forced to explain why EVERY FIFA list official is from one of the aforementioned 4 associations, all of which are a stones throw from Glasgow and there is none from the rest of Scotland. It makes absolutely no sense. I can also pretty much guarentee that the rest of the top flight referees are almost exclusively from those 4 associations too. 

By not calling it out, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee Utd, ICT, Ross County, the Fife clubs etc. are all doing a massive disservice to their fans, because it is crystal clear to all with eyes that the current crop aren't good enough and there is clear favouritism going on which is having a negative impact on the quality and impartiality of officials. 

Hear hear

11 hours ago, OTT said:

Its ridiculous. 

Exactly mate! 

Has any ref changed their mind because a players answers back / abuses them though?

what’s the point?

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

Rugby is easier to officiate. Everything is generally behind and in line which means the ref can control the game better. 

The way players speak to the ref should be more respectful but some of these refs are effin hopeless/corrupt and that’s hard to deal with. 

Players are only human. Faced with a corrupt cheating imbecile who doesn’t even hide his bias and how the hell can we expect our players to respect them ?

as a fan I have zero respect for referees. They are a cancer on our game. They are an embarrassment and wage thief’s.

Edited by 1971fozzy

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Players are only human. Faced with a corrupt cheating imbecile who doesn’t even hide his bias and how the hell can we expect our players to respect them ?

as a fan I have zero respect for them. They are an embarrassment and wage thief’s.

Indeed. I’d like the clubs to start to make a stand about these ‘honest mistakes’ and their frequency. 

They’re being paid grossly in excess of their ability and ‘more entirely confident for the same amount we could tempt better and impartial referees from abroad. Perhaps even with a better grasp of English too. - Poland, Estonia etc. cast the net far and wide and open it up to competent people. Hell, what about other commonwealth countries too? 

Our referees aren’t fit to wear the badge and today we’re going to see yet another example of that. 

30 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Has any ref changed their mind because a players answers back / abuses them though?

what’s the point?

Pressley has done it against Hearts. Willie Miller practically had his own whistle. 

The very fact they have admitted on many occasions that they referee games differently depending on whose playing is enough in itself to call foul.

They're just part of a bigger problem though. An underfinanced tinpot league where you play the same teams every month or so, games hand picked to avoid dispute, away fans being banned, a split that has even the ardent of supporters scratching their heads.

The whole Shitshow is bonkers. It's little wonder the referees are honking.

Edited by Bull's-eye