energy prices

Masonic

Footballfirst

Re the frequency of price cap reviews increasing to quarterly.  A price cap is not a price cap if all it does is follow the international market price.

The capping process should also take into account the profits being generated by the suppliers and providers.  The cap should be working to actually "cap" prices.  If profits generated are deemed as being excessive or unearned, then the cap should be lowered for consumers to bring those profits down to a more normal level as would occur in a stable energy market. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nothing's impossible.

If the Government wanted a state run energy company, they have the perfect opportunity to do so right here and now.

I'm sorry to repeat myself, but as the government are propping up Bulb with taxpayers money, Bulb are effectively state run already, all the government has to do is when the next rate increase happens in October, is to set Bulb's at a much lower rate than everybody else.  People will switch to Bulb in their droves, so much so that the other energy companies will have to lower their prices as well, just to stay in business.  It would achieve two things, one lower prices for everybody and two the state run company would increase it's customer base ten fold and become one of the if not the UK's biggest energy supplier.

Don't hold your breath on any of that happening though.

THAT'S COMMUNIST

Lone Striker
12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Re the frequency of price cap reviews increasing to quarterly.  A price cap is not a price cap if all it does is follow the international market price.

The capping process should also take into account the profits being generated by the suppliers and providers.  The cap should be working to actually "cap" prices.  If profits generated are deemed as being excessive or unearned, then the cap should be lowered for consumers to bring those profits down to a more normal level as would occur in a stable energy market. 

Correct.  Its potentially a much better/fairer way of providing a balance between the end customers interest and the energy companies' interests.  Eliminates all this to & fro chat about windfall taxes, which would only benefit the Treasury if it happened.

No doubt Ofgem would claim that the cap they're setting in October is a fair one, but thats hard to justify when BPs reported profits have just TRIPLED to £7bn for the 12 months. 

Edit - just seen a report about the "Don't Pay" campaign.    Some civil disobedience might be on the way.

Edited by Lone Striker

In one bit of good news, research has seen a shift in that children now see their families going to food banks as normal and nothing to be embarrassed about. 

Something will have to give.
If consumers “ shut up shop “ and it looks like a full blown recession, the energy issue will have to addressed because, simply, people have to use energy, they don't have to spend, and won't if they can't.

Edited by Boab

Unless they decide to let people sink or swim there will need to a big Government intervention.

Since they are unlikely to nationalise the energy companies and train companies (the figure from  'retail price index ' that sets train fares is predicted to be up to 20%) they will need to give people more money handouts. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

That'll never catch on...🙄

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Edit - just seen a report about the "Don't Pay" campaign.    Some civil disobedience might be on the way.

I've just had updated T's & C's from Bulb in the last week, and this is addressed in the new T's & C's.

On the subject of stopping your DD or not paying them, they (Bulb) will take all steps including legal action to recover the debt and they may install a pre-payment meter in your property, which of course if you owe them money will be set at an even higher rate to recover the debt.  There is no mention of being cut-off.  I don't know what consequences it would have, if any, on your credit rating if you were pursued for not paying your energy bill.

On the subject of refunds, you can get a refund if your account is in credit, but only for the amount that you are over what your DD is, in other words, if you were £300 in credit and your DD was for £200, then you would only get £100 refund.  Which means you can't get all of your own money back, not sure that I'm overly happy about that one, it's more the fact that your being told that you can't have your own money back, which you have built up.

Greedy Jambo

What's everyone's leccy costing?

I'm on 19.63p per KWh with a standing charge of 24.88p per day. 

No idea if that's good or bad. 

We don't have mains gas up here so have to get it from Calor. Use it for heating only. Cost per litre hasn't moved 39.9p per litre. Fill up twice a year at approx £350-£400 a time. Electricity is £285 per month.

42 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

BG 34.903 per KW 

standing charge 53.153 per day 

solar panels and battery storage free other than the capital cost which I doubt I’ll ever recoup 

Jambo-Jimbo
56 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm with Bulb, 27.83p per kWh, standing charge 49.64p per day.

You on a fixed deal?

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm with Bulb, 27.83p per kWh, standing charge 49.64p per day.

You on a fixed deal?

Yeah, until August 2023. 

EDF

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yeah, until August 2023. 

EDF

The way things are going, by the time your deal finishes, you'll have to pay at least double, probably nearly treble to what your paying just now.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The way things are going, by the time your deal finishes, you'll have to pay at least double, probably nearly treble to what your paying just now.

Aye, i know, i'm hoping it's all sorted by then :muggy::lenny:

Footballfirst

I'm currently with SO Energy

Elec - 49.64p standing charge, 27.83p per kwh

Gas - 27.21p standing charge, 7.32p per kwh 

All inclusive of VAT.

Im with shell after green went bust. 

Electric 27.91kWh . 50.05 per day standing charge 

gas 7.34kWh . 27.22 per day standing charge. 

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm currently with SO Energy

Elec - 49.64p standing charge, 27.83p per kwh

Gas - 27.21p standing charge, 7.32p per kwh 

All inclusive of VAT.

Exactly the same prices with British Gas (standard variable rate)

My fixed-price term ended about two months ago :seething:

On 04/08/2022 at 16:06, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've just had updated T's & C's from Bulb in the last week, and this is addressed in the new T's & C's.

On the subject of stopping your DD or not paying them, they (Bulb) will take all steps including legal action to recover the debt and they may install a pre-payment meter in your property, which of course if you owe them money will be set at an even higher rate to recover the debt.  There is no mention of being cut-off.  I don't know what consequences it would have, if any, on your credit rating if you were pursued for not paying your energy bill.

On the subject of refunds, you can get a refund if your account is in credit, but only for the amount that you are over what your DD is, in other words, if you were £300 in credit and your DD was for £200, then you would only get £100 refund.  Which means you can't get all of your own money back, not sure that I'm overly happy about that one, it's more the fact that your being told that you can't have your own money back, which you have built up.

That's quite an aggressive stance for a failed, tax-payer bailed out company. 

I don't know where I stand regarding a campaign of non-payment but if it does happen in the millions, good luck installing that number of pre-payment meters overnight.  

Greedy Jambo

I'm still due british gas about £130, pretty sure i wasn't even in the property at the time, so i've just dingyed them. 

It has been a few years now, i still get letters from a debt collector, but they do naff all else. 

On a side note, i found out that if you open a complaint with an energy company, they can't do feckall until you agree to whatever resolution they've offered you, so just don't agree to anything. 

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

That's quite an aggressive stance for a failed, tax-payer bailed out company. 

I don't know where I stand regarding a campaign of non-payment but if it does happen in the millions, good luck installing that number of pre-payment meters overnight.  

I don't know what the T's & C's are with the other suppliers, I'd imagine they'd all be pretty similar.

There’s a don’t pay page on twitter, plenty saying they won’t pay but I’m too much of a shite bag to not pay. 

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

There’s a don’t pay page on twitter, plenty saying they won’t pay but I’m too much of a shite bag to not pay. 

:spoton:

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Learnt my lesson with the poll tax......yeh, I'm not going to pay it I said, all that happened was they arrested my wages and added charges on, so in the end I paid even more.

Dennis Reynolds

From what I read, it wasn't so much as refusing to pay but rather cancelling direct debits and switching to monthly bills. Removing all credit you have etc in the hope it has a substantial effect. 

Greedy Jambo

I think it's actually refusing to pay, or at least delaying it, if everyone does that, they're going to notice 

I cancelled my direct debit fecking years ago.

On 04/08/2022 at 16:06, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm also with Bulb. On the issue of refunds, I don't think anything has changed; all that they are doing is clarifying the long standing practice of paying for your energy in advance and having a positive balance that at a minimum covers your average monthly bill.

I was expecting them to up my payments after the last increase but they haven't, meaning that unusually for this time of year my balance has not built up over the summer. I have put money aside on this basis for a rainy day because there is going to be serious flooding come October when the next increase kicks in! By my calculation on top of my current direct debit payments I'm going to have to come up with an additional £2,000 to cover the winter period and that is having taken into account the £400 handout. I don't think my case is that unusual, meaning that a lot of people are going to find themselves in serious financial trouble.    

Jambo_jim2001
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

better than 'ask the lampost' i suppose. 

Unless you are wired up to it🤫🤫

1 minute ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

He’s ‘wired up’ to something, that’s for sure.  👀

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Sorry, that's gone right over my head. 

Jambo_jim2001
4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Sorry, that's gone right over my head. 

Save money wire house up to the lampost🧐🤫

Jambo-Jimbo

France are having to import energy because of the heat wave they are having, they are having to cut output at nuclear plants as the river water temperature is too high to cool down the reactors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-03/edf-to-curb-nuclear-output-as-french-energy-crisis-worsens

France is often lauded for having such a high percentage of nuclear energy plants and with it cheap energy prices, however in a warming world maybe nuclear isn't the way forward either, especially when the rivers begin to run dry, as has happened to many in France, over a 100 towns/villages have ran out of drinking water and supplies are having to be brought in by trucks.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/08/05/more-than-100-french-towns-without-drinking-water-amid-historic-drought

Spain is now setting new laws regarding energy use.

Such as no air con till 27° and heating till below 19°. .There are other restrictions on energy use.

It's being sold as sacrifice for Ukraine war amongst other things.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/costa-del-sol-spain-air-conditioning-energy-saving-rules-british-tourists-b1016853.html

Some argue that we should be doing this anyway .

Konrad von Carstein

What's the advice for when your current energy deal runs out?

Fix it again or what?

Mines runs expires next month  :(

joondalupjambo
7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

What's the advice for when your current energy deal runs out?

Fix it again or what?

Mines runs expires next month  :(

Go to Money Saving Expert and follow links from main menu to Gas/Electric bills.  Fixing suggested if certain % above the standard tariff you are being offered.  Like you my fixed runs out next month and based on that advice I am best to go with the standard tariff.  However it will all depend on what your company is offering you.  Good luck.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Go to Money Saving Expert and follow links from main menu to Gas/Electric bills.  Fixing suggested if certain % above the standard tariff you are being offered.  Like you my fixed runs out next month and based on that advice I am best to go with the standard tariff.  However it will all depend on what your company is offering you.  Good luck.

Thanks. Am with Eon will have a look at MSE.

Konrad von Carstein
17 minutes ago, Cade said:

Good luck finding any company that will offer you a fixed tariff right now

Eon have offered me one, estimated cost over the year >£4K compared to the variable tariff of circa £2.5K :lol:

0️⃣

2 hours ago, Ked said:

Spain is now setting new laws regarding energy use.

Such as no air con till 27° and heating till below 19°. .There are other restrictions on energy use.

It's being sold as sacrifice for Ukraine war amongst other things.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/costa-del-sol-spain-air-conditioning-energy-saving-rules-british-tourists-b1016853.html

Some argue that we should be doing this anyway .

Absolutely I mean who put heating on at 19c that’s still roasting 😂

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Absolutely I mean who put heating on at 19c that’s still roasting 😂

Shorts & t-shirt weather in Scotland, in Spain though, probably hats gloves & thick padded coats. :laugh:

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Shorts & t-shirt weather in Scotland, in Spain though, probably hats gloves & thick padded coats. :laugh:

They need to toughen up then 😂

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Good luck finding any company that will offer you a fixed tariff right now

SSE offered me one.  It could be if you are coming off a fixed one they offer you something.  It was not a great offer though so sticking with standard tariff, wearing three jersey's a coat and a hat, no baths, going to the library and golf club to use their heating, putting on wood burner now and again and keeping the usage down😀

Only kidding, and should not be so flippant because there will be some real hardship out there this winter.  We are lucky and have a cushion so will not be too bad.

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

SSE offered me one.  It could be if you are coming off a fixed one they offer you something.  It was not a great offer though so sticking with standard tariff, wearing three jersey's a coat and a hat, no baths, going to the library and golf club to use their heating, putting on wood burner now and again and keeping the usage down😀

Only kidding, and should not be so flippant because there will be some real hardship out there this winter.  We are lucky and have a cushion so will not be too bad.

Everytime I've heard Martin Lewis go on about fixed rates, it's always been extortionate amounts he's been quoted, he's said for months that the best rates right now are the standard tariff's.  It'll probably be a few years before decent fixed term offers return to the market place.