energy prices

Masonic

13 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Largest outlays

- tax by quite some distance

- mortgage

- holidays

- everything else 

the tax burden is the largest in 70 years .

tax revenue is the highest in history.

you may draw from that why people are skint, and it isn’t holidays or houses

Should've read, "Largest luxury annual outlay"...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Once the Moggster becomes PM, paid holidays will be abolished and we can revert to the good old days. Also looking forward to the return of the halcyon days of sending young children up chimneys and swathes of the working population ‘in-service’. (Or should that be servitude?).

Late Grandfather, quipped on many occasion "you dinnae ken yir born Son" He was talking about all the benefits that Unions fought for. He also stated "those benefits will peak, the Unions will get weaker and the benefits will be clawed back"...it's happening!

On 12/07/2022 at 15:11, OBE said:

Late Grandfather, quipped on many occasion "you dinnae ken yir born Son" He was talking about all the benefits that Unions fought for. He also stated "those benefits will peak, the Unions will get weaker and the benefits will be clawed back"...it's happening!

He was right mate.

The worker is stronger when he's hungry. 

It all depends on how far they push us.

51 minutes ago, Section Q said:

He was right mate.

The worker is stronger when he's hungry. 

It all depends on how far they push us.

Yip! peaks & troughs...Q, very good analogy...:rolleyes:

WorldChampions1902
3 hours ago, OBE said:

I totally agree.

My frustration with what you say is that it is blindingly obvious to non Trades Union members in the workplace (who are mostly intelligent people) and yet they stubbornly refuse to consider joining their union which has their best interests at heart. Of course, continued demonising of Unions continues unabated in our Right Wing media, which helps brainwash many.

Unknown user
On 10/07/2022 at 19:23, Malinga the Swinga said:

For those that cannot work, I fully agree. By cannot work, they have a proven disability that prevents them contributing to the workforce.

What about those who choose not to work?

What needs of theirs get covered and who decides whether someone is fit to work or not?

I'm not for leaving it up to the individuals themselves, so who judges as that's a pretty thankless task?

There's the problem though. There's enough wealth in this country for people to live comfortably, and there's also enough wealth to make work worthwhile and desirable on top of that.

There's no reason to crush people into poverty, when we could make working worth the effort.

I'll say again, if I had a choice between being on benefits, and working but being worse off, what would I choose?

And if I was very slightly better off but still can't afford life, exhausted, miserable, and never see the kids?

In Holland you get 70% of your last wage or 70% of minimum wage, whichever is higher. People can exist on that without getting into soul crushing poverty, while knowing their income will go up by 40% minimum if they start working. They know they can exist and get a decent enough working premium to make it worthwhile.

Real poverty exists in this country, don't underestimate the effect that has on people and the choices they make.

Unknown user
On 10/07/2022 at 19:23, Malinga the Swinga said:

What needs of theirs get covered and who decides whether someone is fit to work or not?

I'm not for leaving it up to the individuals themselves, so who judges as that's a pretty thankless task?

Years ago that was handed over to the private sector, they were paid a fortune and tasked with reducing the amount of people who get awards. 

The Scottish government will take it over next month and, as I understand it, will ask your doctor.

Edited by Smithee

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

There's the problem though. There's enough wealth in this country for people to live comfortably, and there's also enough wealth to make work worthwhile and desirable on top of that.

There's no reason to crush people into poverty, when we could make working worth the effort.

I'll say again, if I had a choice between being on benefits, and working but being worse off, what would I choose?

And if I was very slightly better off but still can't afford life, exhausted, miserable, and never see the kids?

In Holland you get 70% of your last wage or 70% of minimum wage, whichever is higher. People can exist on that without getting into soul crushing poverty, while knowing their income will go up by 40% minimum if they start working. They know they can exist and get a decent enough working premium to make it worthwhile.

Real poverty exists in this country, don't underestimate the effect that has on people and the choices they make.

if you’re on a 100k in Holland and become unfit to work do you really get 70k as the unfit for work payment? Am I reading this right ?

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

if you’re on a 100k in Holland and become unfit to work do you really get 70k as the unfit for work payment? Am I reading this right ?

I couldn't tell you if there's an upper limit

Unknown user
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

When I think about it, I doubt it.

Here, you're excluded if you have over x amount in the bank, it'll be the same over there you'd think. 

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

No finished yet it seems…. Taking the absolute ***** out of us . 

34A04DB5-F28A-44A2-99F2-FF4538869C13.png

On 08/07/2022 at 14:54, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh feck, the energy price cap is being tipped to rise even higher than first predicted.

It's now being tipped to rise to £3,364 by January.

https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/energy-price-cap-rise-2023-more-previously-predicted-1732347

Martin Lewis is about a week behind the news, this news came out last Friday.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
On 12/07/2022 at 13:10, Smithee said:

When I think about it, I doubt it.

Here, you're excluded if you have over x amount in the bank, it'll be the same over there you'd think. 

👍

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sorry jimbo 

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Brent crude plummets to $98 a barrel

When will we see the drop at the pumps?

🤣

Your joking eh?

32 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

People are beyond snapping point, I honestly don’t know when or how this all ends.

The plans are to re-open the mines, build coal fired power plants and frack everywhere they can until the UK finally sinks beneath the waves.

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

People are beyond snapping point, I honestly don’t know when or how this all ends.

This is the beginning.

It's no coincidence that prices are nearly universal in comparison with other advanced nations.

Is this coordinated to change our habits or are we being prepped for worse.

Climate change is real buddy the transformation will be painful .

What we knew is going .

I dunno mate I'm not feeling great so maybe my mindset is pessimistic.

But we can't just keep burning up fuel like it doesn't matter.I earn decent dough and I'm always helping out my bairns with their fuel bills.

And that's skinning me.I don't mind but I am a few years away from not being the man I used to be in terms of working my way through things.

Anyway ignore me I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself man covid 😄

But I do feel we are all going to have to be less selfish and buckle up.

Looking out for each other and not allow these see you next Tuesdays to tax us to fek and spend it on their pals.

Because that's what's happening of late.

A total monet grab

Tommy Brown
16 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Lewis tweeted it last Friday also.

It's on the previous page of this thread

7 hours ago, Ked said:

This is the beginning.

It's no coincidence that prices are nearly universal in comparison with other advanced nations.

Is this coordinated to change our habits or are we being prepped for worse.

Climate change is real buddy the transformation will be painful .

What we knew is going .

I dunno mate I'm not feeling great so maybe my mindset is pessimistic.

But we can't just keep burning up fuel like it doesn't matter.I earn decent dough and I'm always helping out my bairns with their fuel bills.

And that's skinning me.I don't mind but I am a few years away from not being the man I used to be in terms of working my way through things.

Anyway ignore me I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself man covid 😄

But I do feel we are all going to have to be less selfish and buckle up.

Looking out for each other and not allow these see you next Tuesdays to tax us to fek and spend it on their pals.

Because that's what's happening of late.

A total monet grab

Petrol for your car makes up less than half of what we use crude for. Plastics, Rubber and numerous other by-products. Take a look around your house or office and I'm willing to bet that over 90% of the items you have contain some form of crude. This isn't a changing of habits as you propose, because life as we know it coul not exist without crude. 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Lewis tweeted it last Friday also.

It's on the previous page of this thread

So he did, my bad.

Japan Jambo
On 10/07/2022 at 14:42, doctor jambo said:

There should be no rent / gas/leccy bills for those who cannot work.

No council tax etc .

the nation houses you and keeps you warm then gives you money for clothes food etc.

simples.

that way all basic needs are covered until you can find a job .

Interesting idea but loaded with unintentional consequences particularly with regard to usage. 

Japan Jambo
On 12/07/2022 at 10:01, Smithee said:

And, what would you choose?

23 hours ago, Cade said:

The plans are to re-open the mines, build coal fired power plants and frack everywhere they can until the UK finally sinks beneath the waves.

As long as it’s cheaper I’m in . 

• 2 weeks later...
Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Martin Lewis has an updated forecast. It's not good news.

There was a clue last week I think, when it was reported that the wholesale gas price had went up by even more than anybody had thought it would. 

Martin Lewis is right, the government has to intervene.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There was a clue last week I think, when it was reported that the wholesale gas price had went up by even more than anybody had thought it would. 

Martin Lewis is right, the government has to intervene.

The government will bury their head in the sand.

31 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Martin Lewis has an updated forecast. It's not good news.

Predicting £500 direct debits in January. 

Quite staggering. 😲

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The government will bury their head in the sand.

I disagree, they can't hide from it, it's not going away and may be one of the main things which pushes the UK into a recession, because people will just not have the spare cash to spend to keep the economy going, therefore the government can't ignore it and will have to act.

You also have to remember there will be a new PM, he or she will want to act and be seen to act, because what they do, or don't do in the next 6 months to a year will probably have a large bearing on whether they return to number 10 after the next general election.

I'm telling yi, Pandemic and it's ramifications must be paid for. You will pay in excess of £3500 for domestic fuel per annum, lovely chunk of tax from that. Shazza & Dazza ain't going to the Costas, their holiday ticket and spenders are staying in the UK.

60 million trips abroad were taken by UK nationals in 2019, even cutting that by two 3rds say...20 mill @ an average 3 grand...= £60,000,000,000...:wonga:  

Edited by OBE

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I disagree, they can't hide from it, it's not going away and may be one of the main things which pushes the UK into a recession, because people will just not have the spare cash to spend to keep the economy going, therefore the government can't ignore it and will have to act.

You also have to remember there will be a new PM, he or she will want to act and be seen to act, because what they do, or don't do in the next 6 months to a year will probably have a large bearing on whether they return to number 10 after the next general election.

Fair enough but these problems just seem to drag on.

It’s usually too little too late.

Time will tell.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

What is wrong with you?

:cornette:

The village is looking for him.

Shooter McGavin

I think we’re well past the point of telling people to just cancel a Netflix subscription to get on top of their finances to cope with these hikes.

Government simply has no intervene.

Psychedelicropcircle
On 13/07/2022 at 20:41, Shooter McGavin said:

In recession likely by November!

Shooter McGavin
Just now, Psychedelicropcircle said:

In recession likely by November!

Looks totally unavoidable now, to be honest.

The Mighty Thor

This is just the beginning of it all. 

Interest rates will soar which will start to bite. 

Food inflation is running at +7% already. Food input costs (manufacturing) are up at 15% 

Energy bills at £3500 a year

Petrol/Diesel will spike again

Supermarkets are putting security tags on things like cheese and baby formula.

Wages? Here's 2% stop whining. 

At what point are people going to say '**** this' and do something about it?

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

At what point are people going to say '**** this' and do something about it?

It is highly unlikely with the Tories - but it would be quite something if this resulted in universal income. 

Would need tax loop holes to be eradicated to make sure the public purse got paid what it was due - would be the right thing to do though.

Centrica (owners of British Gas) reports PROFITS of £1.34 billion for the first half of this year.

Shell reports PROFITS of £9.4billion for the last QUARTER.
Shell is using over half of this to buy back shares from investors.

:rofl:

Edited by Cade

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Centrica (owners of British Gas) reports PROFITS of £1.34 billion for the first half of this year.

Is that Gross or Net?

Either way, it's out of hand.

On the plus side (scraping the barrel admittedly), I've recently discovered Primark when buying shorts for my holidays this year and I'll be buying some jumpers for winter too!

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Shell is using over half of this to buy back shares from investors.

Obscene.

The Toalies will look after us.

Just got our bill through from British Gas. From Jan to July our bill was just under £1300. We pay £230 a month. 

43 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve never really been a huge fan of windfall taxes for a variety of reasons. However, in the current climate they should be introduced imo for a variety reasons. Not least for public perception. 

Me either, profits will be reduced to show modest levels to avoid as much as possible. As you say it would be a PR exercise.