energy prices

Masonic

5 hours ago, Cade said:

Seems that North Power had mistakenly entered the customer's meter number in the "amount to be paid" box.

:rofl:

There's hundreds of cheques for trillions of pounds out there in the wild.

:hartley:

Farcical.  does no one check or double check these days, clown behaviour.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeh, I've just posted about this on the inflation thread.

Unbelieveable and it's not just the poor or those on benefits that are going to struggle with this increase, if it happens.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, I've just posted about this on the inflation thread.

Unbelieveable and it's not just the poor or those on benefits that are going to struggle with this increase, if it happens.

I just want to add, a lot of people are starting to say "it's not just the poor"

While this is true, when it's not just the poor, it means the already poor are REALLY ****ed.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

They HAVE to tax the profits on these companies. 

Plus, they need to stop acting like this recommended price cap is god's own word, it's only 3 years it's been in place.

If the government wants to say "Nah, price cap is back to what it was 6 months ago" it can, they pass the laws.

They're no interested in these laws though

indianajones
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Plus, they need to stop acting like this recommended price cap is god's own word, it's only 3 years it's been in place.

If the government wants to say "Nah, price cap is back to what it was 6 months ago" it can, they pass the laws.

Exactly. 

The worry is these current prices are the base point going forward. Should be way lower. 

WorldChampions1902
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

To compound matters, the government has agreed to OFGEM changing the Price Cap Review period from every 6 months, to every 3 months. Which means the next hike in our energy prices will happen in January next year, instead of April.

Depending on who you believe, that could see another 10-25% on top of the October hike of £2800.

Civil unrest incoming.

Jeffros Furios
Just now, WorldChampions1902 said:

To compound matters, the government has agreed to OFGEM changing the Price Cap Review period from every 6 months, to every 3 months. Which means the next hike in our energy prices will happen in January next year, instead of April.

Depending on who you believe, that could see another 10-25% on top of the October hike of £2800.

Civil unrest incoming.

The people are soft , we need to be protesting in big numbers on a regular basis to let these thieving *******s know enough is enough. 

They are takin the piss and we let them .

I won't say what should be done as I'd get arrested. 

Pans Jambo
56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wont be too long after this happens that the tory party will be drop kicked from power. Be like the poll tax all over again.

People will already be struggling up to October and businesses who consume a lot of power will really start to put their prices up further (food production etc). A double whammy. Then interest rates will go up so mortgages, overdrafts and credit cards will go up even more. a triple whammy! & petrol/diesel is STILL on the rise but it'll likely be cheaper than the electricity used to charge up an electric car!

Yeah, before Easter 2023 people will have had enough. If not sooner.

I predict a riot.

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

I predict a riot.

:sweeet: Been a long time coming.

Footballfirst

All that the latest price caps have done is to allow all suppliers to charge the maximum that they can. 

Remove the cap and allow companies to compete on price.  You will soon find companies charging rates below the current/future caps and households able to swap suppliers again. Companies who charge more will quickly lose market share. Companies who don't charge enough to cover their costs will go out of business, just as we have seen multiple suppliers go to the wall over the last nine months or so.  That is the way that a free market is meant to work as I'm sure our resident Tory sympathisers will confirm.

Couple that with a windfall tax on the profiteers, in addition to the generators to ensure that the poorest in our society don't go without heating or cooking facilities.

Alternatively, nationalise the lot of them.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

All that the latest price caps have done is to allow all suppliers to charge the maximum that they can. 

Remove the cap and allow companies to compete on price.  You will soon find companies charging rates below the current/future caps and households able to swap suppliers again. Companies who charge more will quickly lose market share. Companies who don't charge enough to cover their costs will go out of business, just as we have seen multiple suppliers go to the wall over the last nine months or so.  That is the way that a free market is meant to work as I'm sure our resident Tory sympathisers will confirm.

Couple that with a windfall tax on the profiteers, in addition to the generators to ensure that the poorest in our society don't go without heating or cooking facilities.

Last option please.

Failing that then left alone as a truly free market.

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Wont be too long after this happens that the tory party will be drop kicked from power. Be like the poll tax all over again.

People will already be struggling up to October and businesses who consume a lot of power will really start to put their prices up further (food production etc). A double whammy. Then interest rates will go up so mortgages, overdrafts and credit cards will go up even more. a triple whammy! & petrol/diesel is STILL on the rise but it'll likely be cheaper than the electricity used to charge up an electric car!

I predict a riot.

Like the good old days, do they still have Rumbelows?

Pans Jambo
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Like the good old days, do they still have Rumbelows?

Ahh the rite of passage! To kick in the windows of Rumbelows and be off with a TV as heavy as yersel!

51 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The people are soft , we need to be protesting in big numbers on a regular basis to let these thieving *******s know enough is enough. 

They are takin the piss and we let them .

I won't say what should be done as I'd get arrested. 

Protest is banned.

Pans Jambo
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

My understanding is that deregulation of the energy market allowed businesses to spring up all over the shop with little or no checks and balances. They (of course) went bust and left the "big 5" holding the baby. Now they're cashing in.

So to summarise.

The tories allowed all thoses small companies to enjoy the "free market" without and regulation and so got in the shit!

The tories allowed the "independent" (aye right) OFGEM to basically abolish the minimum tarriff.

The tories.

The same tories who are now spaffing shite on TV like "we are doing all we can to help".

Are people really that stupid?

We NEED a riot!!!

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The working proposal to give people £600 isn't going to be enough. 

We all getting £600? I wasn't aware I

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

We all getting £600? I wasn't aware I

Help you heat the swimming pool old boy. 

Jambo-Jimbo

In case folks were wondering how this £400 rebate was going to be applied, here is some info on it.

The discount will be made automatically by your energy supplier. There is no need to apply.

Over the course of six months from October, direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account. Customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496

So my reading of this is that everybody will get from October to March just over £66 pm credited to their energy account.

More money paid to the energy companies up front, which we'll pay in Taxes. Take a bow you robbing Tory *******s.

43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

More money paid to the energy companies up front, which we'll pay in Taxes. Take a bow you robbing Tory *******s.

isn't this money coming from the windfall tax on oil and gas companies?

On 24/05/2022 at 13:50, Pans Jambo said:

I predict a riot.

fiat currency purchasing power declining at a rapid rate as well 

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

isn't this money coming from the windfall tax on oil and gas companies?

It is, but that won't stop the rant from rA. He's on a non stop campaign where anything government does is wrong. Wouldn't matter if they gave everyone a thousand pounds, he'd still complain.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It is, but that won't stop the rant from rA. He's on a non stop campaign where anything government does is wrong. Wouldn't matter if they gave everyone a thousand pounds, he'd still complain.

I don't understand him. The energy rebates for us is something  the SNP would be singing out loud about if they had the money to do this. They have went on enough about free bikes . laptops and other various handouts if your on the breadline and got loads of wanes. 

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I don't understand him. The energy rebates for us is something  the SNP would be singing out loud about if they had the money to do this. They have went on enough about free bikes . laptops and other various handouts if your on the breadline and got loads of wanes. 

What I think youre overlooking is that the rise in fuel cost lies at the door of the tories, as it was they who lifted the energy cap (ok, theres global rises as well but if you look at other European nations, theres none out there with 52% rises anywhere. Nothing like it). 

They are giving us £400 on an £830 increase cased by them and paid for by taxing energy suppliers who made vast profits off our backs because the tories lifted the energy cap in the first place!!!

When will the SNP apologise for this???

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

What I think youre overlooking is that the rise in fuel cost lies at the door of the tories, as it was they who lifted the energy cap (ok, theres global rises as well but if you look at other European nations, theres none out there with 52% rises anywhere. Nothing like it). 

They are giving us £400 on an £830 increase cased by them and paid for by taxing energy suppliers who made vast profits off our backs because the tories lifted the energy cap in the first place!!!

When will the SNP apologise for this???

The SNP are permanently in his/her head.:10900:

Jambo_jim2001

Coal prices went up four quid a bag. Coal man says come October time another six odd quid bringing it up to thirty two pounds a bag😳 coal would be cheaper but the green lobby are against an opencast opening up in Ayrshire and all the foreign suppliers knowing that now Russia can't supply have doubled their prices

Pans Jambo
15 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Coal prices went up four quid a bag. Coal man says come October time another six odd quid bringing it up to thirty two pounds a bag😳 coal would be cheaper but the green lobby are against an opencast opening up in Ayrshire and all the foreign suppliers knowing that now Russia can't supply have doubled their prices

Coal? Who still uses coal?

FFS :rofl:

You still driving a Hillman Imp too?

Tommy Brown
16 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I was quite surprised recently to see an old mate still delivering his coal in East Calder.

The street I was in had the chance to switch to gas 30 years ago. No doubt some (very few) held onto coal fires.

How many bags do you go through at £32 a bag?

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was quite surprised recently to see an old mate still delivering his coal in East Calder.

The street I was in had the chance to switch to gas 30 years ago. No doubt some (very few) held onto coal fires.

Seen a coal lorry in that area a few weeks ago. 

Very surprised. 

Brought back memories. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland produces more than it uses and we might end up with power cuts. Feck off.

Have to keep the wine fridge, karaoke machine and disco ball in #10 running eh but?

Edited by Cade

hughesie27

What's the consensus on switching Tariff just now?

Our firm went bust in Sept and we got shifted to Scottish/British Gas. Our DD went from £127 p/m (Duel Fuel) to £227 on a variable Tariff. 

They're offering us either stay on Variable at roughly £2700 per year (Not including the expected rise in Oct) or Switch to a fixed rate for 1 year paying £3620.

Jambo_jim2001
6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Coal? Who still uses coal?

FFS :rofl:

You still driving a Hillman Imp too?

Horse and cart😝joys of living in the sticks😎

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just now 26 quid a bag of anthracite.summer 1 bag a fortnight,really bad winter up to 3 bags a fortnight" fire is on 24/7",but now also using free wood. Plenty trees got blown down the last storm,only downside is its got to be left to dry out and doesn't last as long as coal.

Jambo_jim2001
5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Seen a coal lorry in that area a few weeks ago. 

Very surprised. 

Brought back memories. 

It's surprising how many in my area are going down the wood burner and solid fuel route. I have had almost all the different types of central heating,for me when my house was built it was coal fired and I love the heat it gives out😎

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

It's surprising how many in my area are going down the wood burner and solid fuel route. I have had almost all the different types of central heating,for me when my house was built it was coal fired and I love the heat it gives out😎

👍

11 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Our firm went bust in Sept and we got shifted to Scottish/British Gas. Our DD went from £127 p/m (Duel Fuel) to £227 on a variable Tariff. 

They're offering us either stay on Variable at roughly £2700 per year (Not including the expected rise in Oct) or Switch to a fixed rate for 1 year paying £3620.

I’m no maths genius but I’d stay on variable.

The £400 they are giving out will still keep you below that fixed for the next year. 
Like everyone, the heating and Usual electric use has been monitored in my gaff. Using a lot less than I did. 
I actually went in and reduced my DDs a little as they were in credit. Can tweak that in Oct.

On a fixed and you’re kinda ****ed in that regard.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Boab said:

I’m no maths genius but I’d stay on variable.

The £400 they are giving out will still keep you below that fixed for the next year. 
Like everyone, the heating and Usual electric use has been monitored in my gaff. Using a lot less than I did. 
I actually went in and reduced my DDs a little as they were in credit. Can tweak that in Oct.

On a fixed and you’re kinda ****ed in that regard.

That seems to be the advice from the likes of Martin Lewis and others, that the standard variable tariff is the best tariff right now.

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland produces more than it uses and we might end up with power cuts. Feck off.

Consequence of the Grid not preparing to store renewable energy sufficiently for the peaks in usage. 

I'd also like to see something done to address transmission costs, the cost of renewable grid connections should not be higher than Nuclear or Gas powered stations. 

14 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That seems to be the advice from the likes of Martin Lewis and others, that the standard variable tariff is the best tariff right now.

They also advised the British Gas offer is worth considering. 

Tricky but if prices go up a lot in October as predicted. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

They also advised the British Gas offer is worth considering. 

Tricky but if prices go up a lot in October as predicted. 

I'm not with British Gas so that would have just went straight over my head.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my son due to be born in August and I'm really worried about the cost of living.

Baby on the way mad bills to pay... The Notorious B.I.G once said

il Duce McTarkin
24 minutes ago, Hansel said:

I've got my son due to be born in August and I'm really worried about the cost of living.

Baby on the way mad bills to pay... The Notorious B.I.G once said

Folk deride the baby boxes introduced by the Scottish Government as a gimick. For many they are going to be an absolute lifeline.

For some money saving advice, try and get as much second hand or hand-me-downs as you can. Buying new things for a new baby is obviously nice, but to be honest, they are in and out of stuff so quickly that you can end up spending a fortune.

Hopefully October's rise isn't as bad as everyone is predicting, and best of wishes to you and yours when the baby comes. 👍

Petrol rising to £2 a litre and yet oil is only $120 a barrel and yet back in 2008 it was over $230. 

Hmm something doesn’t quite add up here 

Dirty Deeds
5 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Folk deride the baby boxes introduced by the Scottish Government as a gimick. For many they are going to be an absolute lifeline.

For some money saving advice, try and get as much second hand or hand-me-downs as you can. Buying new things for a new baby is obviously nice, but to be honest, they are in and out of stuff so quickly that you can end up spending a fortune.

Hopefully October's rise isn't as bad as everyone is predicting, and best of wishes to you and yours when the baby comes. 👍

The October price rise is going to be an absolute shocker.  It's 6 months of price rises hitting us all at once.

Things like this today don't help either https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/commodities/natural-gas-prices-lng-europe-texas-freeport-terminal-fire-2022-6

Another thing worth mentioning is that any supplier who hedged well (bought tomorrow's gas at yesterday's price), well those hedges are now worth more than any profit their supply business can make.  That means they can sell those hedges now and make a giant profit, charge their customers at the price cap and pay themselves obscene dividends.

Edited by Dirty Deeds

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Petrol rising to £2 a litre and yet oil is only $120 a barrel and yet back in 2008 it was over $230. 

Hmm something doesn’t quite add up here 

Was talking about that today.

Someone in the chain is ripping the absolute pish.

BP: £5billion profit in first three months of this year (doubling last year's performance)

Shell: £7.3billion profit in first three months of this year (triple last year's performance)