Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Sleepy head said:

Mom today. Defended well, good and brave in possession and BOOM! what a goal.

Absolutely. Just wish he just that little bit more consistent still young and will improve with time 

tartofmidlothian
13 minutes ago, Sleepy head said:

Mom today. Defended well, good and brave in possession and BOOM! what a goal.

Great to hear. Will be remembered by fans for that goal at least.

He’s only 23. Gets a harder time than some of the others that have been at the club for ages and are the same age. 

Some goal as well! 

tartofmidlothian
2 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I had written him off but would be happy to be proven wrong.

I hadn't written him off, but he's been one of the weaker links in the chain recently. He looked fresh on Thursday too though, hopefully he's been waiting to try and snatch Smith's place.

letsmakesomenoise
2 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I hadn't written him off, but he's been one of the weaker links in the chain recently. He looked fresh on Thursday too though, hopefully he's been waiting to try and snatch Smith's place.

He’ll be desperate to be playing, and playing well, to get in the Socceroo squad for the WC.

The Goalscoring Knee

Defended well today (although he turned into trouble a couple of times) and a great strike to cap it off. Never as bad as some make out and sticks to his task, even when outgunned.

tartofmidlothian
2 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

He’ll be desperate to be playing, and playing well, to get in the Socceroo squad for the WC.

👍

kingantti1874
Just now, Muppetboy said:

Can’t defend for toffee but going forward he could show our so called attackers a thing or two

he’s a right mid every day. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s a right mid every day. 

Wing back is the perfect position for him. Full back not som much at the moment. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Great performance and a wonder goal at the end. 

it was. And how many of the bellends in our support who state, as a fact, that he’s shite!! Will come on and say so? 

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

it was. And how many of the bellends in our support who state, as a fact, that he’s shite!! Will come on and say so? 

I’ll put my hands up and say I’m one that’s not convinced he’s good enough mainly due to his defensive failings. I think he’s great going forward.

I’m glad he’s had a great game today though. 

Hilarious reading the same names saying "I'd written him off".

Maybe shut yer pie holes and give players time to settle and bed into the club before gobbing off in future 😆😉

A_A wehatethehibs

A young player with a lot of ability and potential. KB talks about wanting to play and develop young players, but won’t accept any imperfections.

Not sure where the "can't defend" comments are coming from today, he was excellent. Read the game well, won all his individual battles and was  a constant threat going forward.  Easily our best player today, delighted for him. Hopefully takes confidence from it.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hilarious reading the same names saying "I'd written him off".

Maybe shut yer pie holes and give players time to settle and bed into the club before gobbing off in future 😆😉

This , instead of writing players off so early and then saying I was wrong , is it not better to just not write them off so early in the first place ?

The thing with Atkinson I think, is he sometimes just makes the wrong decisions during games. Whether it is taking too many touches, playing the wrong pass or trying to take it past a player. If he worked on his decision making through experience then I think he will be a good player as he has some decent attributes. 

ironically his goal is an example of this. Last minute of injury time and he is attempting a volley with his weak foot, from outside the box, on a ball dropping from the sky…. 99 times out of 100 he balloons it and we start going mental asking what the hell he is doing! Great goal 🇱🇻 

Edited by 5jambo1

upgotheheads
Just now, 5jambo1 said:

The thing with Atkinson I think, is he sometimes just makes the wrong decisions during games. Whether it is taking too many touches, playing the wrong pass or trying to take it past a player. If he worked on his decision making through experience then I think he will be a good player as he has some decent attributes. 

ironically his goal is an example of this. Last minute of injury time and he is attempting a volley with his week foot, from outside the box on a ball dropping from the sky! Great goal 🇱🇻 

Eh, only he had a very good day today, and stuck the ball in the back of the net.

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Eh, only he had a very good day today, and stuck the ball in the back of the net.

yeah I agree he has a good game 👍🏼 Was just pointing out why I think he hasn’t kicked on. Absolute worldie 

5 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

ironically his goal is an example of this. Last minute of injury time and he is attempting a volley with his weak foot, from outside the box, on a ball dropping from the sky…. 99 times out of 100 he balloons it and we start going mental asking what the hell he is doing! Great goal 🇱🇻 

The only way to gain experience is to play games, unfortunately our precious support gives most players a matter of minutes to turn into Lionel Messi or they're deemed "shite", roundly booood and insulted and lose all confidence.

The expectation levels and delusions of grandeur are off the scale.

Just give players time to settle ffs.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

He will get shit from nielsen for not trying to keep possession

1 hour ago, 5jambo1 said:

Atkinson  has a few more issues than just decision making. He has some bad habits that need to stop if he is going to progress. He tends to turn his back when he jumps for a competitive header. I would also suggest his first touch isn’t that great either..

Today though he is the hero with his goal and he should be praised for that.

He was man of the match for me. Always decent going forward but has been a bit iffy defensively in a few games. Hopefully the more games he plays the more consistently well he plays. Better as a wing back if we ever get our Centre backs fit again.

jamboinglasgow

The whole "He is useless at defending" is something that seemed to be based on a few mistakes early in his Hearts career and seems to stick. He has not done as well as I hoped when he first came but I think he is showing what he can do. 

Have been a critic but he played very well today tbf, credit where credit is due pity most of our other players didn't play with the same heart or desire as him today.

The Black Prince

I have occasionally been mystified reading this thread as it doesn't reflect at all the player I've watched in the AL and Oz NT. But, as I've said a few times, the summer AL is not as fast as the SPL (or international football) and it takes Oz players time to adjust (although Kye Rowles has done well straight away).

Atkinson has all the qualities to be a decent player in Europe - glad to read he's shown what he can do today. Also agree he ought to be played as a winger - can be very dangerous.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

This , instead of writing players off so early and then saying I was wrong , is it not better to just not write them off so early in the first place ?

Kio would be the next one up. Admittedly hasn't played well the past few games, may not settle in, but let's give the boy a bit more of a chance .  .  .

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Kio would be the next one up. Admittedly hasn't played well the past few games, may not settle in, but let's give the boy a bit more of a chance .  .  .

One of which was against Fiorentina FFS. His opposite number signed for £18m as opposed to his £350k. 

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

20 minutes ago, CMc said:

One of which was against Fiorentina FFS. His opposite number signed for £18m as opposed to his £350k. 

Yip , you can see its already shifted on to him from Devlin who was just a wee radge who runs around a lot 

Atkinson had it earlier because he was shite and could not defend but was okay going forward 

Our 19 year old free signing from Dundee United got sent off against a £ 60 million striker who Fiorentina signed from Real Madrid though , so he could may be take the shit crown off Kio for a week or two and give him a chance to adapt to the game here

Edited by Sooks

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Great goal apart, I thought that Atkinson played the best defensively that I've seen him play, and looks as though much work/coaching has been done recently on this area of his game, or maybe it's just that the ongoing defensive coaching since his arrival is now beginning to show (some might say, at last). Perhaps worth noting, too, that this improved defensive play was evident in a game in which those he was defending with were playing out of position and didn't have their best of games, a situation that often leads to a player's shortcomings being even more obvious.

Well done, Natty.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, CMc said:

And he’s been judged on shadow chasing in half of his games thus far due to red cards against rangers and Fiorentina 

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Great goal apart, I thought that Atkinson played the best defensively that I've seen him play, and looks as though much work/coaching has been done recently on this area of his game, or maybe it's just that the ongoing defensive coaching since his arrival is now beginning to show (some might say, at last). Perhaps worth noting, too, that this improved defensive play was evident in a game in which those he was defending with were playing out of position and didn't have their best of games, a situation that often leads to a player's shortcomings being even more obvious.

Well done, Natty.

I agree, I thought he played well going back the way yesterday as well and his positional sense was so much better. No doubt that if we are looking at kicking on we need a full back that gets up the pitch better than Smith does. I thought second half yesterday all our good play came with Atkinson driving down the wing and he created a few openings second half. There's never been a question around his attacking abilities, always his defending but you have to remember he is still very young and new to the league so mistakes were inevitable. Time out the side has probably helped him. He has the raw materials to be a great full back for us, just hopefully this helps him kick on and he can produce it on a consistent basis. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
31 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I agree, I thought he played well going back the way yesterday as well and his positional sense was so much better. No doubt that if we are looking at kicking on we need a full back that gets up the pitch better than Smith does. I thought second half yesterday all our good play came with Atkinson driving down the wing and he created a few openings second half. There's never been a question around his attacking abilities, always his defending but you have to remember he is still very young and new to the league so mistakes were inevitable. Time out the side has probably helped him. He has the raw materials to be a great full back for us, just hopefully this helps him kick on and he can produce it on a consistent basis. 

Agree with what you say, but playing alongside quality, experienced players is always a big help for a youngster to kick on. Unfortunately our quality, experienced defenders (really only Halkett, previously also Souttar, on Atkinson's side of the park when Smith's not playing) have been missing for big parts of Atkinson's time with us, which hasn't helped his progress. I reckon young Neilson is suffering from this unfortunate circumstance, too. As you say, perhaps Atkinson's lay-off has helped him somewhat by relieving the pressure of playing in an, at best, unsettled defence, made up of players with not much more experience than him in the positions they are having to play. 

I was just reading the BBC match report and they first of all give MOTM to Armstrong, then McKenzie when you get to the stats.  Even more glaringly wrong, Atkinson is our lowest assessed player

What an utter farce of an organisation