Donald Ford

Howdy Doody Jambo

48 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Donald Ford really sounds like a class act, multi talented and a wonderful man, I'm so glad to have started this thread as he is still so loved by the Hearts support 

Yep. Give yourself a pat on the back. Nice on. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Factuer Moi

• ri Alban

• Morgan

• Hearts Heritage

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Give us a goal, give us a goal, Donald Ford, Donald Ford. 

We never really did him justice in song did we unlike Rudi, Robbo, Busby. I even remember one night in the Diggers in the 70s the old boys singing Willie Bauld is the King of Scotland. Really touching tribute to him. 

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, Busby8 said:

I've not read through the comments, so forgive me if I'm duplicating anything

Electric turn of pace.

Great finisher

Outstanding in the air for such a wee guy. Not so much the jostle with the centre-half headers with his back to goal, but more like getting onto the end of crosses and scoring.

An absolute gentleman of a player and a real credit to Hearts.

Known for retrieving dead balls and courteously handing it back to opponents.

Never booked for foul play....... in fact only ever booked once in his career... a travesty when on a windy day against Partick Thistle at Tynie he threw a dead ball back to where a free kick had been awarded. Wind caught it and it hit the Ref, who promptly booked him.

Scored a penalty Hat trick away to Morton on a real drookit day.

Scored a hat trick away to Aberdeen when they were  a force to be reckoned with, when we were down to 10 men, and it was 2-1 to them with a few minutes to go... Scenes !!

Scored the winner ( 1-0) in the 1968 Scottish Cup quarter final against Rangers in injury time.

Scored the winner against Rangers at Ibrox with a few minutes to go ( 1-0), after Tommy Murray sat on the ball in the move leading up to the goal.

Allegedly played a monsterously imaginative hoax on Jim Brown. No details ... sorry 🙂

Apparently good at cricket and taking photaes.

One of my favourite all time Hearts players. Honoured to have had the opportunity of watching him in my younger days.

I would add.

Cared enough about us when we seemed to be going bust to join guys like the journalist John Fairgrieve and Archie Martin ( I remember a meeting in I think the Liberal Club which became the West end club in princes street which I attended)  in trying to rescue th eclub.

Cared enough to get active again when the foundation was formed

Intelligent guy - an accountant. more importantly watch his football 'intelligence ' in the lead up to that sit on the ball goal - robs the rangers player, passes on, moves into the centre and is gesticulating where he wants the ball played.

Should have played in the world cup finals against braxil and more importantly Zaire and if he had scotland would have almost certainly qualified.

If there are statues or honours to be given he should certainly be a name to be mentioned

He  was way ahead of his time in 'reading the game'

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, jimbojambo said:

We never really did him justice in song did we unlike Rudi, Robbo, Busby. I even remember one night in the Diggers in the 70s the old boys singing Willie Bauld is the King of Scotland. Really touching tribute to him. 

He was a quiet, modest, intelligent guy - never played to the audience, just played for the team. Not the sort the fans hero worship, unfortunately - its significant in that respect that Prentice and Busby had far more 'fan love' though neither was half the player Ford was.

Hearts Heritage
36 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Donald Ford made his debut in a Friendly trialling no offside against Kilmarnock exactly a week after we threw the league against them at Tynecastle. He scored 5 goals in an 8-2 victory and for years after carried our forward line with teammates who got worse season after season whereas Bauld and Robbo played with far better quality players. Donald Ford Superstar how many goals have you scored so far? 

He made his debut in a 4-2 victory over Celtic on 26 Sep 1964.

1964-09-26_HEA_4_CEL_2_L_05_of_34-001

See

https://londonhearts.com/scores/newplayers/h01388ap.html

9 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

DF was a superb striker (or centre forward as it was called).  Like Robbo, you always expected him to score.  Always wore the number 9 shirt.  A very honest footballer and (I think this is correct) was never booked!

Pace and he scored penalties!

Always will remember the 87th minute at Tynecastle v Rangers in the Cup replay.

5 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

My dad was talking about that very game on Wednesday.

scott herbertson
17 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Thanks. My memory is not what it was. Probably the first game I noticed him. You don't forget an 8-2 win though 👍 

Was one of my first  games, I think - taken along by my grandad. That and a big win over Airdrie are there in the back of my memory

51 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

He was a quiet, modest, intelligent guy - never played to the audience, just played for the team. Not the sort the fans hero worship, unfortunately - its significant in that respect that Prentice and Busby had far more 'fan love' though neither was half the player Ford was.

Great player,my idol growing up.Even had admirers across the city,they tried to buy him once,theres a snippet for you!

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Great player.

Quite wee but floated like a butterfly in the air and was a superb header of the ball.

His hair was always immaculate and he was a Chartered accountant in Linlithgow I think.

There was a song that ended with 'Donald is the King: which would be frowned upon nowadays.

Yes indeed Morgan - to the tune of “Men of Harlech” - first heard it in turnstile queue at a Brockville in ‘71 or thereabouts (4-2 to theJTs)

Cairneyhill Jambo

I know Donald Ford well. My mum and dad used to own a shop in Linlithgow and he used to bring his sons in to get their sweeties on a Saturday night. An absolute gentleman and loved talking about Hearts. 

He's into photography these days so if you're ever looking for birthday/Christmas presents https://www.donaldfordimages.com/

Francis Albert

One of the strange things about growing old is that you often remember things from 50 years or more ago more clearly  than you do some things from last week. True of a lot of things mentioned on this thread. The quarter final winner against Rangers in 68 for example. But also our third goal in the 4-1 win against Hibs in 1973. And Ford's goal in a 2- 0 win at Parkhead not long after Celtic won the European Cup and were still one of the best teams in Europe, Donald dancing past half the Celtic side along the 18 yard line before slotting home.

As has been said the Anglos in the 74 World Cup squad didn't rate the (in their view) lightweight from a struggling Scottish team and made their influence felt.

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, Factuer Moi said:

I know that game and moment is a great favourite, i am sure Willie Johnston done an off the ball trick in a game playing for Us. I have V Celtic in my mind or V Raith. Just wondering if you have any idea.

I believe Willie Johnston had earlier sat on the ball while playing for Rangers. No fuss was made about it. But when Tommy Murray did the same against Rangers all hell broke out and it was deemed by the SFA ungentlemanly conduct. 

True about individual events like the goal against Rangers stick in the mind but I remember when he eventually scored against Hibs in the 4-1 game and bizarrely a header against Ayr United in extra time in the cup replay at Somerset Park when the ball stuck behind the stanchion and we were right behind the goals. Was superb with penalties and also on Quizball he was a brain box. Great servant to the club his whole lifetime. 

SectionDJambo
5 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

True about individual events like the goal against Rangers stick in the mind but I remember when he eventually scored against Hibs in the 4-1 game and bizarrely a header against Ayr United in extra time in the cup replay at Somerset Park when the ball stuck behind the stanchion and we were right behind the goals. Was superb with penalties and also on Quizball he was a brain box. Great servant to the club his whole lifetime. 

I also have the memory of his winning goal at Somerset Park in my head. An early morning return home that night.

A couple of others are the goals against Motherwell, home and away, in the Texaco Cup semi final, and indeed the 4 at Airdrie in an earlier round.

Weirdly enough I forgot he scored 4 at Airdrie but remembered Drew Young scored the other one. And not forgetting the bricks through the SMT bus windows afterwards donated by the kind locals to stop the windows steaming up. 

Horatio Caine
8 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Me too!  Capacity crowd in the `old` Tynecastle, people climbing over fences to get in!

scott herbertson
10 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Me too!  Capacity crowd in the `old` Tynecastle, people climbing over fences to get in!

I thought they broke the gate down near the shed?

9 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Thanks. My memory is not what it was. Probably the first game I noticed him. You don't forget an 8-2 win though 👍 

Think it was Eddie o'Donnell  a winger who made his debut

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I believe Willie Johnston had earlier sat on the ball while playing for Rangers. No fuss was made about it. But when Tommy Murray did the same against Rangers all hell broke out and it was deemed by the SFA ungentlemanly conduct. 

Previous season 6nil

Unfortunately didn't see Willie Bauld playing but I'd put Donald Ford alongside Willie Wallace and John Robertson as the top three Hearts Centre Forwards (strikers) since. 

Fast, skillful, great finisher, good football brain, and brilliant in the air for a fairly wee guy.  Him and Jim Cruikshank carried an average/poor Hearts team for years in the late 60s and early 70s. 

N Lincs Jambo
15 hours ago, Hearts Heritage said:

He made his debut in a 4-2 victory over Celtic on 26 Sep 1964.

1964-09-26_HEA_4_CEL_2_L_05_of_34-001

See

https://londonhearts.com/scores/newplayers/h01388ap.html

That was indeed his debut game. In the video posted further up the thread Donald had the score as 3-1, not 4-2. He also told that his father took his mother to that game. First game she had ever attended and was in the director’s box. After the game he met them and there she was wearing a Celtic tammy 😓. Incidentally, six of that Celtic team went on to be Lisbon Lions. 

What a tribute this thread is to my boyhood hero. I have no hesitation in saying that Donald was at least as good a goalscorer as Robbo. Ok he didn't score as many goals as Robbo but he played in 60s/70s teams where his partners were generally poor. How many more would he have scored with Colquhoun and Clark beside him. It's no coincidence that he had his best season in 73/4 when his best partner (Busby) was signed. He was faster than Robbo and a better header of the ball. He also played in an era where there was limited protection for attackers yet never shirked a challenge. He'd walk into today's team.

Started following Hearts in the Early 70's and remember as a 9 year old getting his  number from the phone book and giving him a call one Saturday night. I congratulated him on his goal and performance that day ,after having a chat for a few minutes he hung up. 

1st Hero ,great player ,top man .

On 29/01/2022 at 01:14, Horatio Caine said:

DF was a superb striker (or centre forward as it was called).  Like Robbo, you always expected him to score.  Always wore the number 9 shirt.  A very honest footballer and (I think this is correct) was never booked!

I remember him being booked once, he’d been caught offside or something and ref asked for the ball back, he launched it over arm to him, he was also a good cricketer, the ref took it as a sign of aggression and booked him. Don’t remember who we were playing but remember this incident.