Var in Scottish football confirmed ( merged )

jamborich

For all those dismissing VAR on the basis that corruption will simply move seats, surely it's worth giving it a go?  If you're tight, then it only adds evidence to said corruption existing, at which point we can decide there's no real point in supporting Scottish football and find something else to occupy our time with.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

5 minutes ago, Haken said:

For all those dismissing VAR on the basis that corruption will simply move seats, surely it's worth giving it a go?  If you're tight, then it only adds evidence to said corruption existing, at which point we can decide there's no real point in supporting Scottish football and find something else to occupy our time with.

We already know there's no real point in supporting Scottish football...for most people it's a love of Hearts that keeps them going. The rest of it is a complete joke. VAR will just allow them to find clear and obvious errors that benefit the old firm yet miraculously miss the ones for other teams.

It wouldn't surprise me if the VAR team miss half the action in games that don't involve the 'old firm' as they'll be too busy having a chin wag about the 'old firm'.

Scottish football is a corrupt closed shop. We don't need VAR to tell us that.

21 hours ago, Taffin said:

We already know there's no real point in supporting Scottish football...for most people it's a love of Hearts that keeps them going. The rest of it is a complete joke. VAR will just allow them to find clear and obvious errors that benefit the old firm yet miraculously miss the ones for other teams.

It wouldn't surprise me if the VAR team miss half the action in games that don't involve the 'old firm' as they'll be too busy having a chin wag about the 'old firm'.

This.  VAR used in Scotland will lead to or result in the same flawed decisions.  The only difference is that VAR provides them with a false cloak of justification and legitimacy of the same type of shite/corrupted refereeing decisions.  

VAR never eliminates incorrect decisions.  It can reduce them if used properly.  If used half-arsed it merely excuses them.

Tommy Brown
22 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I'd like to see the ref and officials mic'd up - so that like in Rugby we get to hear the discussion and reasoning for any VAR decisions. Infact, I'd like them to broadcast all ref discussions via an app. 

If they are truly unbiased and referee without fear or favour, then there's nothing to hide, surely?  

This for me too. Then you may see a calming in abuse from players.

The Treasurer

As the clubs are paying for this based on league position, the OF will pay the biggest share.

So no doubt they will expect  "value for money"

On 20/04/2022 at 10:42, JamboNation said:

Who voted against it ?

Alan Rough on PLZ soccer podcast suggested ICT voted against VAR

Just now, jbee647 said:

Alan Rough on PLZ soccer podcast suggested ICT voted against VAR

It was Morton based on cost and fan feedback. 

Good that Morton still aspire to playing in Premiership. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I feel dirty but I agree with the two former refs. Bringing it in mid season will lead to two different games. They should either bring it in fully for the start of the season or use next season as a trial and properly start it the season after

Geoff Kilpatrick
22 hours ago, Taffin said:

This

Is it possible that we are getting VAR on the cheap once the World Cup has finished using it? Hence it's introduction mid-way through the season!!! Wouldn't suprise me!! 😉😉

gowestjambo

The idea that bringing in VAR half way through the season is nonsense. If it is a good idea, why the hell wait 6 months?

Doncaster - This will help Scottish Football - but lets not help straight away! The man is a Buffoon.

Lone Striker
23 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I'd like to see the ref and officials mic'd up - so that like in Rugby we get to hear the discussion and reasoning for any VAR decisions. Infact, I'd like them to broadcast all ref discussions via an app. 

If they are truly unbiased and referee without fear or favour, then there's nothing to hide, surely?  

22 hours ago, Haken said:

22 hours ago, Taffin said:

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

This.  VAR used in Scotland will lead to or result in the same flawed decisions.  The only difference is that VAR provides them with a false cloak of justification and legitimacy of the same type of shite/corrupted refereeing decisions.  

VAR never eliminates incorrect decisions.  It can reduce them if used properly.  If used half-arsed it merely excuses them.

34 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

As the clubs are paying for this based on league position, the OF will pay the biggest share.

So no doubt they will expect  "value for money"

I think we can foresee the need for a mega-thread on here once it comes in, to keep track of  VAR reversals and who the benefitting team is, and who the ref is  whose original decision was reversed.

Something like that, anyway.  It could be very ..... umm...revealing.  :whistling:

On 20/04/2022 at 13:59, Taffin said:

Indeed…

B3383EF9-2CF3-4299-8972-90E6BAFB3AF2.jpeg

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 21/04/2022 at 11:37, Mikey1874 said:

Regarding the fans experience, this article makes interesting points.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/apr/25/to-be-seen-and-not-heard-is-keeping-supporters-and-viewers-in-the-dark?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

On 20/04/2022 at 16:56, Taffin said:

Just another tool that will be used to benefit Rangers and Celtic

This exactly.

I'm staggered that Hearts fans can't see the way this is going. People should stop for a minute and think about why Rangers and Celtic are so in favour of this. 🤔

The weird non deliberate handball decisions that ruin games will be through the roof and it'll be two teams that benefit most.

Whenever Celtic or Rangers lose a late goal against a non OF team, those officials will be searching for the slightest push or pull to rule it out again.

This is not going to be good for us or our league.

VAR to me is a great example of the law of unintended consequences.  The original concept was to eradicate clear and obvious errors.  Stick to that principle and you might eradicate 95% of wrong decisions.  The remaining 5% are very marginal calls, so just stick with the referee's decision in those cases.

Instead VAR seems to now want to get 100% right, even if that means spending several minutes viewing a marginal incident from multiple angles, including slow-mo replays and drawing lines across the pitch to see if a forward's big toe is offside.  If VAR has to resort to that, then it is by definition not a clear and obvious error, so let's just stick by the ref's original decision.

I'd be in favour of a time limit for VAR.  Maximum 60 seconds to review an incident and agree a decision.  If VAR can't decide within 60 seconds, then by definition it's not clear and obvious.

I'm no fan of Tam McAnus, but he did come out with a funny line on the plz show when discussing the drawing of lines to determine whether a player is offside or not, he said a player can now be deemed to be a pixel offside. 

35 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

This exactly.

I'm staggered that Hearts fans can't see the way this is going. People should stop for a minute and think about why Rangers and Celtic are so in favour of this. 🤔

The weird non deliberate handball decisions that ruin games will be through the roof and it'll be two teams that benefit most.

Whenever Celtic or Rangers lose a late goal against a non OF team, those officials will be searching for the slightest push or pull to rule it out again.

This is not going to be good for us or our league.

That's my worry as well.  VAR will work well for us if say we score a perfectly valid goal against Ross County that is flagged offside and turns out to have been clearly onside.  But the cynic in me has always thought that whenever we score against one of the uglies, VAR will be frantically looking for any excuse to rule it out.

Let's face it, the VAR will be drawn from the same pool of almost exclusively West Coast referees who are biased towards the uglies.

41 minutes ago, RobNox said:

That's my worry as well.  VAR will work well for us if say we score a perfectly valid goal against Ross County that is flagged offside and turns out to have been clearly onside.  But the cynic in me has always thought that whenever we score against one of the uglies, VAR will be frantically looking for any excuse to rule it out.

Let's face it, the VAR will be drawn from the same pool of almost exclusively West Coast referees who are biased towards the uglies.

Yeah. The same corrupt, Glasgow-centric characters are going to be running the show. This is being brought in to help the Old Firm and not to make anything fairer.

On 21/04/2022 at 12:35, Hazzaru said:

Is it possible that we are getting VAR on the cheap once the World Cup has finished using it? Hence it's introduction mid-way through the season!!! Wouldn't suprise me!! 😉😉

Hammer, nail, head..  cheap hand me downs.

• 4 weeks later...
Hackney Hearts
On 26/04/2022 at 01:54, RobNox said:

Don't mind West Coast VAR referees, so long as the Celtic minded ones do all Rangers games and vice versa.

Might do wonders for making the league more than a two horse race.

Hackney Hearts
On 21/04/2022 at 12:17, The Treasurer said:

Seems really unfair that Ross County will pay more than Aberdeen, just because Aberdeen had a rubbish season! Or that Motherwell pay more than Hibs. If there' a sliding scale, surely it would be better to base it on turnover?

Spellczech
On 26/04/2022 at 02:37, cosanostra said:

Yeah. The same corrupt, Glasgow-centric characters are going to be running the show. This is being brought in to help the Old Firm and not to make anything fairer.

Is being brought in so the OF cannot continue to whine that the other one gets more beneficial decisions.  If they use Weegie refs it is basically because nobody believes the "everything evens out across the season" line...

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, OTT said:

Expecting us to be victim of multiple 'grey area' type decisions where the ref doesn't need to check VAR. 

Key statement from Maxwell......

"We also need to get the referees used to using it on a matchday."

25 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Key statement from Maxwell......

"We also need to get the referees used to using it on a matchday."

I've felt for a while that managers should be allowed to request the ref checks it on VAR. Similar to tennis, give both managers a couple of challenges to use over the course of the game. 

Boyces beard
27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Scottish football continues to out tinpot itself. Introducing VAR halfway through the season is really great for creating that “level playing field”, eh…

Exactly, it has to be the start of the season or wait until the the following season. Imagine  a Celtic V Rangers game before VAR is implemented and a stone wall penalty is not awarded when Var would have clearly given the penalty. Fast forward to Last old firm game of the season and a Penalty is awarded due to a VAR check which results in the league being won buy a couple of points. The arse cheek on the wrong end of the Var decision will go in to total melt down with accusations of cheating and favouring the other arse cheek.

Tbh, it would actually be quite funny watching one of said arse cheeks implode in such a scenario, but most likely every 50/50 VAR decision out with the old firm games  will be in the favour of either one of the cheeks.

Smoked-Glass
16 hours ago, OTT said:

I've felt for a while that managers should be allowed to request the ref checks it on VAR. Similar to tennis, give both managers a couple of challenges to use over the course of the game. 

Yes. Only a few though. Not unlimited 

Aside from offsides where they use the lines, it still takes a human to make the decision on other incidents.  

In matches towards the end of the season in England and in the CL, there were a few incidents moved on quickly after a brisk VAR check.

There will still be plenty dodgy decisions in favour for the Uglies.  Nothing will change. 

• 2 months later...
ShortmanRossco

Who still thinks VAR is the answer after this weekend in the EPL? I've never been so convinced it will be used as a utility to benefit the OF.

• 4 weeks later...
Malinga the Swinga

Hopefully VAR will work better for Scotland than in England. Ridiculous decision not to send off Silva for Chelsea as he handled ball to stop Palace guy from being straight through.

Only given a yellow but no-one behind him. Chelsea are big team though so coward of a ref let him off.

You just know it will be same for Celtic and Sevco.