Var in Scottish football confirmed ( merged )

jamborich

Smoked-Glass

Gonna be sh1te. At least we got our thumb free kick, Hibs goal ruled out wrongly for offside,. Ball over the line December 2017,,, before this var comes in.

Edited by Smoked-Glass

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Chillidigits

Well it's coming and a million eyes will be scrutinizing the administration of it. As we know Sportscene always analyse the controversial moments in a game . If the OF var decisions weighted in their favour are consistantly at odds with the tv evidence then that can't be swept under the carpet and if Robbie feels he has to train with 10 against 11 again and there's a general stench emitting from the stats compiled then get ready for fireworks.

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Great news. Will benefit hearts absolutely. I know people can’t see it.. but those dodgy 50:50 calls the old firm always get the benefit  will become binary decisions with zero interpretation necessary. 

the best thing to happen to the game on a long time 

I welcome VAR In the (naive?) belief that it if operated fairly, can only be to our advantage in the long run.

On the topic of VAR, a serious question, because one day, this WILL happen. Red team have a man brought down in Blue teams box which is scrutinised by VAR officials whilst the game is allowed to continue by the Ref. The officials on VAR take a bit of time to conclude that Red team should have a penalty but in the meantime, Blue Team score. After play is brought back to allow the Red Team penalty to be taken, what happens to the Blue Team goal? Is it chalked off?

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I welcome VAR In the (naive?) belief that it if operated fairly, can only be to our advantage in the long run.

On the topic of VAR, a serious question, because one day, this WILL happen. Red team have a man brought down in Blue teams box which is scrutinised by VAR officials whilst the game is allowed to continue by the Ref. The officials on VAR take a bit of time to conclude that Red team should have a penalty but in the meantime, Blue Team score. After play is brought back to allow the Red Team penalty to be taken, what happens to the Blue Team goal? Is it chalked off?

Of course it would that is the whole point of VAR it is there to rectify obvious reffing errors . If an error has been made the game stops at that point retrospectively. 

3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Of course it would that is the whole point of VAR it is there to rectify obvious reffing errors . If an error has been made the game stops at that point retrospectively. 

Of course my concern, and I am sure other will agree, is who is deciding what is an obvious error and how they will judge that? An obvious error denying a goal to a team against the OF may be looked at entirely differently to one favouring them.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Of course my concern, and I am sure other will agree, is who is deciding what is an obvious error and how they will judge that? An obvious error denying a goal to a team against the OF may be looked at entirely differently to one favouring them.

The benefit of the doubt 🙄given to the old firm literally cannot get any worse 😂

It won’t be perfect, we will still get screwed on occasion.  But we will get screwed less

Diadora Van Basten

Great news that we have VAR now hopefully we can get decision right now especially offside, red cards and penalties.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Will all clubs need screens to make this transparent? 

It's not Scotland, but Liverpool don't have any screens. Just some wee digital scoreboards.

VAR, what is it good for?

Not a fan of the stop start element it adds to football and that's before you get to the inevitable shambles Scottish football will make of it

John Findlay
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

In a nutshell, yes.

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Gonna be sh1te. At least we got our thumb free kick, Hibs goal ruled out wrongly for offside,. Ball over the line December 2017,,, before this var comes in.

2017 wouldve been ruled out for offside anyway. The offside you're prob referring to, we had one just as bad same game which was leading to an open goal, was before the hibs one in the match I'm sure too.

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Great news. Will benefit hearts absolutely. I know people can’t see it.. but those dodgy 50:50 calls the old firm always get the benefit  will become binary decisions with zero interpretation necessary. 

You've really got to hope so. 

My hope is that some attempt at curbing the glasgow blink will happen. Clear offsides will be much easier to check and the ref really shouldn't have a leg to stand on. 

I can kinda see some sort of scandal on the horizon though. 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Absolutely agree. With it, Celtic’s offside goal at Parkhead this season doesn’t stand and we get the point we deserved.

They’ll always get the marginal calls but they won’t get the benefit they’ve had for decades with the binary decisions. 

Folk are just going to end up being even more angry at marginal calls going against their team. Fair bit of delusion on this thread with some seeming to think VAR is going to be a magic pill.

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, WageThief said:

I presume this means that we finally will get goal line technology?  

Don't want it.

Hibs do v us hahaha

Will it be perfect? No. Will it reduce the number of bad calls? Surely it has to. Our referees are rubbish. They make a lot of "mistakes" - VAR will reduce the number of mistakes, whether they are intentional or not...

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

I presume this means that we finally will get goal line technology?  

No.

But presume there will be a camera along the line 

Seymour M Hersh

Does the referee ever request a VAR review of an incident or is it always up to the VAR official to alert the referee he's reviewing something?

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Does the referee ever request a VAR review of an incident or is it always up to the VAR official to alert the referee he's reviewing something?

i believe the ref can ask and it most likely would be something like was it inside/outside the box for a foul so either a freekick or penalty

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

VAR official.

I'd prefer "x" number of challenges allowed by the coach/captain of each team, so that the VAR official can't just ignore certain incidents.

I'm only in favour if the technology truly stops duff calls against the oold firm, particularly to stop diving cheats like Edouard "winning" penalties in cup matches... 

Edited by Gizmo

Seymour M Hersh
24 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i believe the ref can ask and it most likely would be something like was it inside/outside the box for a foul so either a freekick or penalty

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

VAR official.

So in other words if Beaton makes a decision on the park that helps sevco it's unlikely brother Madden will do anything to change it. If they're pulled up in the weejie media (unlikely I know) they'll just spin the coverall "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" to suit any situation. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
19 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So in other words if Beaton makes a decision on the park that helps sevco it's unlikely brother Madden will do anything to change it. If they're pulled up in the weejie media (unlikely I know) they'll just spin the coverall "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" to suit any situation. 

Precisely.

It's going to be truly shite and break up the flow of games for no benefit at all.

Kirky Jambo

Not a fan of VAR generally but it’s part of the modern game and we will get used to it eventually.

however I can’t help but feel there would be better uses for the money.

11 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s not how it will work at all, there is no world where VAR makes it worse.  Those decisions will now be subject heightened scrutiny and the excuse of “it happened quickly” / and these thing even themselves out in time are over.   Dodgy offside calls such as furuhashi at PH now a thing of the past.  

the reality is some traditional fans don’t like VAR and are looking for excuses.. Scotland has to keep up with other leagues abroad and it will do whether a few fans who are stuck in their ways embrace it or now.. 

Summer football, colt teams and safe standing next please .

VAR in England definitely favours the “big” teams.

Any contentious decisions are looked at very quickly and dismissed 

From the BBC Scotland website ( 7 seems to be a 'catch all' that overrides the very last statement? )...

How will it work?

The SFA system will be a mirror image of that already used in competitions run by world governing body Fifa, with the principle of "minimum interference, maximum benefit."

All video assistant referees will be current or recently retired Category 1 officials, with the help of a minimum of six manned cameras in each game.

The question the VAR will ask is not "has the right decision been reached?" but "has the referee or his assistant made an obvious error?" and/or "has the referee missed a serious incident?".

VAR can intervene in seven areas:

1) For penalty box decisions/penalty kick or possible penalty kick offences.

2) For goals scored - all goals scored, and the build up to the goal being scored, are checked under VAR.

3) For straight red card offences, such as violent conduct and the denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

4) For serious misapplications of the laws - such as a goal scored direct from a dropped ball or throw in.

5) For cases of mistaken identity.

6) At the taking of a penalty kick and at kicks from the penalty mark (e.g., for encroachment or goalkeeper moving from the goalline.)

7 ) For serious, missed incidents in matches.

VAR will not intervene to ensure a player is booked for what may be seen as a reckless tackle, for faulty restarts of play, or to award a foul and a free-kick.

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Will it be perfect? No. Will it reduce the number of bad calls? Surely it has to. Our referees are rubbish. They make a lot of "mistakes" - VAR will reduce the number of mistakes, whether they are intentional or not...

FFS, games could last for hours in Scotland :whistling:

Be like American Football, more stoppages than play and more screen watching than pitch watching.

VAR can only be good for non OF clubs, but at the end of the day it comes down to the crooked little b@stards with the whistle..

Geoff Kilpatrick

Would VAR have overturned Davisgate on 2 March 2005?

Answer: No

Ergo, VAR = shite!

Aussie Jambo

The arse cheeks wont be winning so many games now. 

What with our 40/40 vision referees. 

image.gif.42584dc2bc28e4d41d7542253471ebcd.gif

Stupid Sexy Flanders
12 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Folk are just going to end up being even more angry at marginal calls going against their team. Fair bit of delusion on this thread with some seeming to think VAR is going to be a magic pill.

Totally agree, if folk think that we're all of a sudden going to start getting decisions against the OF, I fear they're sadly mistaken. 

Any time one of them concedes a goal, it will be absolutely scrutinised to find a foul in the buildup, or an offside fingernail. It will increase pressure on referees, rather than helping them. 

And on top of that, you can never properly celebrate a goal ever again, without having to wait for the review first. 

It's going to be utter shite. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

The arse cheeks wont be winning so many games now. 

What with our 40/40 vision referees. 

image.gif.42584dc2bc28e4d41d7542253471ebcd.gif

And this guy will be running the line. 

th-1.jpeg

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

that’s not true at all. Jody a false argument put forward by  opponents of the system.  

the number of “mistakes” or bad decisions has reduced sharply.  It’s not perfect but it’s a lot better

12 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

In a nutshell next to nothing will change. Those who oversee the technology will make sure of that!

10 hours ago, Spellczech said:

It will only pick up those mistakes IF the video referees overseeing the match chose to see a clear and obvious error ... I for one do not see that happening when it involves either of the two OF teams they are going to get exactly the same privileges they enjoy right now. Now when it comes to games involving them against each other ... oh F'k the controversy is going to be civil disobedience inducing , law and order will breakdown on match days.

Shooter McGavin

I’m not completely against Var when used in other leagues, although I don’t think it’s right for our game to be honest.

I think refs up here are too ego driven, they’ll just use it as another “Everybody look at me! Look at me!” moment.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s not true at all. Jody a false argument put forward by  opponents of the system.  

the number of “mistakes” or bad decisions has reduced sharply.  It’s not perfect but it’s a lot better

The problem with this idea of "mistakes" is that you are sitting as a TV audience judging those decisions in England. You attend the games live in Scotland, presumably. Live games call for live responses. Your spectator experience and your "call" for decisions is very different at the ground compared to TV.

So to say that VAR has eliminated "mistakes" is because the scrutiny was placed on those marginal offside calls which are part and parcel of football. Egregious cheating, like Davisgate, wouldn't be overturned.

15 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

It will only pick up those mistakes IF the video referees overseeing the match chose to see a clear and obvious error ... I for one do not see that happening when it involves either of the two OF teams they are going to get exactly the same privileges they enjoy right now. Now when it comes to games involving them against each other ... oh F'k the controversy is going to be civil disobedience inducing , law and order will breakdown on match days.

It's a fair argument. I wonder if VAR will reduce the pressure on referees as VAR becomes the ultimate arbiter and thus the pundits will question VAR rather than merely officials? What I think we will see less of is the "evening it up" decisions ie a Red card for one team, so another slightly soft red follows for the other team, ditto penalties. This lassitude will likely disappear.

I know it's not much but I just cannot see how VAR can be a bad thing for any team outside of the OF...I also understand wny the OF didn't want it, and thus that makes VAR a good thing in my book.

20 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The problem with this idea of "mistakes" is that you are sitting as a TV audience judging those decisions in England. You attend the games live in Scotland, presumably. Live games call for live responses. Your spectator experience and your "call" for decisions is very different at the ground compared to TV.

So to say that VAR has eliminated "mistakes" is because the scrutiny was placed on those marginal offside calls which are part and parcel of football. Egregious cheating, like Davisgate, wouldn't be overturned.

I would hope we don't follow the English model and focus on offsides. If VAR is implemented for the more important stuff - pens, violence, professional fouls then it can only be of benefit. 

I still maintain that technology should allow us to run VAR reciprocally with a similar sized league like the Dutch or the Belgians whereby their VAR guys do our league and ours do theirs. I fear that is the only way to eliminate OF bias...

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I would hope we don't follow the English model and focus on offsides. If VAR is implemented for the more important stuff - pens, violence, professional fouls then it can only be of benefit. 

I still maintain that technology should allow us to run VAR reciprocally with a similar sized league like the Dutch or the Belgians whereby their VAR guys do our league and ours do theirs. I fear that is the only way to eliminate OF bias...

The big issue blocking that is there would have to be an admission of potential bias, remember all officials are impartial all of the time.

4 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Aside from the guidelines, notably only 'clear and obvious errors', it seems to depend on different VAR officials and their interpretations. As I've said as long as they do the offside lines correctly, then penalties will be the main controversy. 

2 hours ago, JamboNation said:

Who voted against it ?

If the bottom club in the premiership has to pay towards  it  ( £67k according to sources ) I'd be pretty miffed.

( OK maybe I misunderstood .. it must be some sort of rental cost due at the end of the season )

Edited by logopolis

I'd like to see the ref and officials mic'd up - so that like in Rugby we get to hear the discussion and reasoning for any VAR decisions. Infact, I'd like them to broadcast all ref discussions via an app. 

If they are truly unbiased and referee without fear or favour, then there's nothing to hide, surely?