Var in Scottish football confirmed ( merged )

jamborich

1 hour ago, jambostuart said:

75 percent of 10 doesn't go? How does it work in the Championship? 7 teams need to say yes?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Depends how it’s used.

Cast our minds back to the euro’s in the summer and the way it was operated was good. Not telling anyone or showing anyone when checks were going on, made you forget it was there until a genuine decision needed to be made.

I’ve watched a lot of European football and it isn’t consistent through any of the leagues. Serie A is probably the worst operated league I’ve seen. Even the EPL I don’t agree with showing replays on big screens etc. 

If it is an in the background thing, great.  If it is gonna be the forefront and a tool for us to sit and scrutinise our referees for absolutely everything they get wrong then I’m not as for it. It’s there to help them at the end of the day and let’s not forget our referees aren’t even full time. They need as much support as they can get.

Yip. 👍

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It would be odd, and a very backward move, to vote against it. Still not over the moon about some of the ways it is used but it is the future. 

Newcastle are my English team, and it's purely on the basis we have had decisions given due to Var, that if it wasn't in place, would of never have been given. 

I'm hoping Hearts can have the same luck, because if you go by the letter of the law in today's game hibs could of easily had 3 player's sent off on Saturday. 

Personally the only player I would of sent off is newell, due to being dangerous tackle and already on yellow card. 

Celtic are complaining about rangers tackling on Sunday, but show complete denial, that there team didn't turn up. 

Rangers were the better team regardless on that day. 

I don't like to make excuses and I'm not one to push for player's getting sent off unless it justified. 

But I reckon Hearts could benefit from Var.

Old firm might get decisions yes, but it will also show the decisions that other teams don't get, highlighting even further if the referee are bias towards them. 

I have a feeling the old firm will vote against this. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think I am right in saying we are one of the only main leagues in Europe not to have VAR.  Its absolutely inevitable it will come in here at some point so we should bite the bullet and get on

with it.  

However I don’t agree with introducing it half way through a season, that’s seems crazy to me and compromises the integrity of the league.  Either bring it in for the start of next season or wait till the following season. 

I saw a list of league's that have it am I'm sure the Thai league as well as the polish second division have it. 

19 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Depends how it’s used.

Cast our minds back to the euro’s in the summer and the way it was operated was good. Not telling anyone or showing anyone when checks were going on, made you forget it was there until a genuine decision needed to be made.

I’ve watched a lot of European football and it isn’t consistent through any of the leagues. Serie A is probably the worst operated league I’ve seen. Even the EPL I don’t agree with showing replays on big screens etc. 

If it is an in the background thing, great.  If it is gonna be the forefront and a tool for us to sit and scrutinise our referees for absolutely everything they get wrong then I’m not as for it. It’s there to help them at the end of the day and let’s not forget our referees aren’t even full time. They need as much support as they can get.

There was a good use of it in the Newcastle Leicester game at the weekend. Goal is disallowed by the ref, he gets a call pretty quickly to view the screen shows no foul on the keeper and goal given. I am actually highlighting it as one argument is not being able to celebrate goals properly. The Newcastle player once it was overturned by VAR was jumping about like a lunatic celebrating which was good to see

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

There was a good use of it in the Newcastle Leicester game at the weekend. Goal is disallowed by the ref, he gets a call pretty quickly to view the screen shows no foul on the keeper and goal given. I am actually highlighting it as one argument is not being able to celebrate goals properly. The Newcastle player once it was overturned by VAR was jumping about like a lunatic celebrating which was good to see

Yeah when it works quickly it’s great - the stupid 4/5 minute delays for whether a players nipple is offside annoys me though . I also don’t agree with this every time the ref runs to the screen it automatically changes his mind malarkey most of the time.

I’m a Newcastle fan though so that decision certainly pleased me!

The main issue in England this season is penalties not given. 

Scotland is going to use the same system of only reviewing 'clear and obvious errors' so this will probably be the main controversial area up here. 

Similarly soft penalties given will not be overturned. 

Ex member of the SaS

Don't know f it's been posted but they are saying the vote goes right to the bottom of Scottish football. How can clubs that will never be in a position to use VaR get a vote on such a subject?

davemclaren
54 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Don't know f it's been posted but they are saying the vote goes right to the bottom of Scottish football. How can clubs that will never be in a position to use VaR get a vote on such a subject?

I imagine because that’s what the SPFL constitution states. 

I give it til the break for the World Cup before the vast majority of fans want it scrapped. It'll be a shitshow shambles.

Edit: Just seen it isn't in until after the World Cup! So let's just call it the end of next season.

Edited by Sooperstar

RustyRightPeg

Approved at a cost of about £1.2 million. 

Sliding scale based on league position finish.

StevenNaismith

Wonder who the club was that voted against it and what their reasons are? Strange that any club could vote against it in my opinion.

Hearts to pay 10.03%

Hibs anywhere from 6.97% to 5.63%

The team that voted against might be Dundee. All but certain to go down but still have to pay 5.63% of next seasons VAR introduction?

edit: seen it was a championship club that did not vote for it…

Edited by gjcc

4 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Will all clubs need screens to make this transparent? 

Do they actually show the replays on the big screens at games? Thought it was just the pitch side screen and TV that ctually show the replays.

Fire_At_The_Disco
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Do they actually show the replays on the big screens at games? Thought it was just the pitch side screen and TV that ctually show the replays.

Yes they do but only after the var decision has been made. 

1 minute ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Yes they do but only after the var decision has been made. 

Makes sense. I doubt stadiums will need screens. Presumably any use will feature in highlights though.

• davemclaren changed the title to Var in Scottish football confirmed ( merged )
Fire_At_The_Disco
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Makes sense. I doubt stadiums will need screens. Presumably any use will feature in highlights though.

Hope so or it’s just more cover ups from the gfa 

Factuer Moi
2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Who was the one club to vote against it?

Probably Dundee, they have a thing about Votes.

Amoruso_lets_it_run
1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

Wonder who the club was that voted against it and what their reasons are? Strange that any club could vote against it in my opinion.

I would vote against it as VAR run by the SFA will be a complete shambles. It won't lead to better decisions..... it will probably lead to even more inexplicable decisions. And the old firm will almost certainly still seem to get the rub of the green. 

Hungry hippo
54 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Man Utd and Liverpool don't have big screens.

Fire_At_The_Disco
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Man Utd and Liverpool don't have big screens.

Very true but they have multiple smaller screens. It also looks like they will be forced to comply eventually by uefa. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Absolutely, let be a footballing backwater 

When people realise we've spunked money up the wall for no benefit, come back to me. There are those who think this will change the corruption within Scottish football. They are hopelessly naive.

Fxxx the SPFL

VAR works both ways you could say that directly before Simms goal he was flagged for offside when he clearly wasn't if play had went on the attack might have come to nothing and we then may not have scored the opening goal all conjecture of course.

kingantti1874

Great news. Will benefit hearts absolutely. I know people can’t see it.. but those dodgy 50:50 calls the old firm always get the benefit  will become binary decisions with zero interpretation necessary. 

the best thing to happen to the game on a long time 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, gjcc said:

Hearts to pay 10.03%

Hibs anywhere from 6.97% to 5.63%

The team that voted against might be Dundee. All but certain to go down but still have to pay 5.63% of next seasons VAR introduction?

edit: seen it was a championship club that did not vote for it…

Where did you see it was championship one?

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

When people realise we've spunked money up the wall for no benefit, come back to me. There are those who think this will change the corruption within Scottish football. They are hopelessly naive.

The corruption just moves up the tree. 

image.jpeg.4cf4866b52fce0d1670b61e559f56dfc.jpeg

joondalupjambo

Bummer, progress what next glass in window openings and cars instead of horses.  The world is going mad.

6 hours ago, luckydug said:

I'm only in favour if big screens are installed in the stadiums so the public can see fair play in action. 

If not we are waiting around on the self important prick becoming an even more self important prick by keeping us all waiting for a decision we can't witness. 

And bear in mind that self important prick is one of the corrupt erses who favour the OF anyway.

The only positive I can see is that the media outside Scotland might highlight the decisions. Cos you can bet BBC Scotland won’t 

46 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Great news. Will benefit hearts absolutely. I know people can’t see it.. but those dodgy 50:50 calls the old firm always get the benefit  will become binary decisions with zero interpretation necessary. 

Hearts v Celtic. All square. Beaton ref. Hearts player goes down in box

Beaton “VAR checking”

Madden in VAR “Nothing to it”

Beaton. “Thanks Bobby mate”

VAR in Scotland in a nutshell 

kingantti1874
Just now, Jamhammer said:

Hearts v Celtic. All square. Beaton ref. Hearts player goes down in box

Beaton “VAR checking”

Madden in VAR “Nothing to it”

Beaton. “Thanks Bobby mate”

VAR in Scotland in a nutshell 

That’s not how it will work at all, there is no world where VAR makes it worse.  Those decisions will now be subject heightened scrutiny and the excuse of “it happened quickly” / and these thing even themselves out in time are over.   Dodgy offside calls such as furuhashi at PH now a thing of the past.  

the reality is some traditional fans don’t like VAR and are looking for excuses.. Scotland has to keep up with other leagues abroad and it will do whether a few fans who are stuck in their ways embrace it or now.. 

Summer football, colt teams and safe standing next please .

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Depends how it’s used.

I think you can guarantee that here it will be "in the background"

If the decision is FOR the OF it will be given

If its AGAINST the OF "play on nothing to see"

Guest ToqueJambo
59 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It'll certainly be interesting. As Celtic and Rangers have so much of the ball and so many chances, they will be the biggest victims or beneficiaries of this. I'm going with the latter. I simply can't see them ruling out 2 or 3 goals for indiscretions in the lead up to their goals, but I can see them ruling out the one chance other teams get against them.

gashauskis9

Genuinely don’t think it will make any difference up here without goal line technology.  Nowt wrong with VAR in terms of kit, but it still needs to be operated by a so don’t expect better decision making up here.  

Italian Lambretta
7 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Genuinely don’t think it will make any difference up here without goal line technology.  Nowt wrong with VAR in terms of kit, but it still needs to be operated by a so don’t expect better decision making up here.  

Does the VAR lines not run along the goal line so they can check it as well?

3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

VAR can GTF!

100% It solves nothing, settles no arguments and slows the game down and, worst of all, it will be the same biased, blinkered west coast officials sitting in a studio making the decisions.

There are two sides to every coin... things can go for or against you due to VAR. My only worry is how many decisions will not go against the OF teams because simply put Scottish football is hopelessly bent in their favour. I know reference has been made to the Euro's where VAR operated behind close doors... that rings alarm bells for me in a Scottish context!

36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s not how it will work at all, there is no world where VAR makes it worse.  Those decisions will now be subject heightened scrutiny and the excuse of “it happened quickly” / and these thing even themselves out in time are over.   Dodgy offside calls such as furuhashi at PH now a thing of the past.  

the reality is some traditional fans don’t like VAR and are looking for excuses.. Scotland has to keep up with other leagues abroad and it will do whether a few fans who are stuck in their ways embrace it or now.. 

Summer football, colt teams and safe standing next please .

The problem is the standard of refereeing in Scottish football is so poor it will make no difference. There will be clear and obvious errors made in a phase of play leading to a goal for the OF that will never be investigated by VAR it happens so regularly in Scottish football it is embarrassing.  

gashauskis9
13 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Does the VAR lines not run along the goal line so they can check it as well?

I’m sure I read somewhere that this roll out wouldn’t include goal line tech, I could be wrong (happy to be told I’m wrong of course).

3 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Are we not about due to get our screens installed? Though AB said

something about it last year.