Var in Scottish football confirmed ( merged )

jamborich

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Incompetent, yes.  Biased, not really.  However when officiating at Ibrox or Parkhead with 60K fanatics baying for your blood your decision is affected.  The same at away games where their more noisy individuals fuelled on Buckfast attend.  Difficult to stay unbiased on feeble money.

Indeed. I feel it favours us when playing smaller opposition as well. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• jock _turd

• Geoff Kilpatrick

14 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Incompetent, yes.  Biased, not really.  However when officiating at Ibrox or Parkhead with 60K fanatics baying for your blood your decision is affected.  The same at away games where their more noisy individuals fuelled on Buckfast attend.  Difficult to stay unbiased on feeble money.

Justification for us cutting OF ticket allocation at Tynecastle.

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, Fraggle said:

I only seen the article the other day, and for the life of me I can't remember if it was the BBC or elsewhere?

Up here it will be used in the top division only, paid for on a sliding scale fee depending on league position. From what I could gather (and the bit that really scared me) the VAR studio is at Hampden, and will be operated by both current and ex Grade 1 refs (wonder who they could be, and all from!!) 

In regards to the comments on podcast and other media, I suspect they are suggesting that they don't want to see VAR popping up every 2 seconds, nitpicking at every decision, like down south and elsewhere. Ultimately, these people will just want to make sure that the status quo is kept, and decisions in favour of two certain teams increased. 

IMO, those that are suggesting VAR up here will solve current issues with refereeing are going to be in for a nasty shock. 

Yeah, hard to disagree.

TBH when I've heard it said (that it is used differently)... or ' as long as we use it the same way as Germany', they never follow it up with how 'Germany' actually use it... so you may well be right. 

I'm with you with regards to Hampden, VAR should ne manned at an undisclosed site by (preferably) non-Scottish refs. However, if I could have put money on it - Hampden manned by our own Grade 1's - would have been my bet.

7 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Fair enough. You make a reasonable point in respect of their decision making being impacted by the hoardes.

I have just seen far to many instances of refereeing incompetence against us, and over the years, to think that on occasion bias hasn't played a part and especially playing either side of the OF.  I guess other supporters of other clubs may argue the same. 

Ex member of the SaS
19 hours ago, Fraggle said:

I only seen the article the other day, and for the life of me I can't remember if it was the BBC or elsewhere?

Up here it will be used in the top division only, paid for on a sliding scale fee depending on league position. From what I could gather (and the bit that really scared me) the VAR studio is at Hampden, and will be operated by both current and ex Grade 1 refs (wonder who they could be, and all from!!) 

In regards to the comments on podcast and other media, I suspect they are suggesting that they don't want to see VAR popping up every 2 seconds, nitpicking at every decision, like down south and elsewhere. Ultimately, these people will just want to make sure that the status quo is kept, and decisions in favour of two certain teams increased. 

IMO, those that are suggesting VAR up here will solve current issues with refereeing are going to be in for a nasty shock. 

If they are going to use existing refs where will they get them from as most if not all are at games.

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

If they are going to use existing refs where will they get them from as most if not all are at games.

That's a good point. Got to assume that a the grade 1 refs won't be out at games, and the ex grade 1s will mostly be used at VAR Central. Either way, it's got Poundland VAR written all over it!! 

Diadora Van Basten

Definitely need VAR but there is a culture of change is bad in Scottish football so will probably not happen.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

What happens if lower leagues vote against it

Nothing. The status quo would continue.

3 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Definitely need VAR but there is a culture of change is bad in Scottish football so will probably not happen.

I see no prospect  of VAR being implemented honestly  when  Beaton, asst ref & 4th official all had a pefect view of what should have been a 2nd red for Hibs and shat the bed. If the 4th official didn't tell Beaton  that on Saturday we're doomed - and Beaton didn't make his decision until long after the event and a long conversation with somebody over his mic. 

Diadora Van Basten
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

I see no prospect  of VAR being implemented honestly  when  Beaton, asst ref & 4th official all had a pefect view of what should have been a 2nd red for Hibs and shat the bed. If the 4th official didn't tell Beaton  that on Saturday we're doomed - and Beaton didn't make his decision until long after the event and a long conversation with somebody over his mic. 

I think there are plenty of examples in England of a yellow card being upgraded to red due to VAR.

If the ref has chance to watch the challenge again and apply the criteria for a red card then I am sure that the yellow on Saturday would have been upgraded to a red.

As it was the referee wasn’t sure and on that basis gave a yellow which although the wrong decision was the right thing to do if he wasn’t sure.

6 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think there are plenty of examples in England of a yellow card being upgraded to red due to VAR.

If the ref has chance to watch the challenge again and apply the criteria for a red card then I am sure that the yellow on Saturday would have been upgraded to a red.

As it was the referee wasn’t sure and on that basis gave a yellow which although the wrong decision was the right thing to do if he wasn’t sure.

The speed of it and Beaton's view its a yellow. He wasn't close enough to see it properly. 

Why the refs want VAR. 

Not sure what the refs will do if its not agreed. They become 2nd class referees in Europe and World terms. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Nothing. The status quo would continue.

They will vote against it but there won’t be var in Lower leagues so not sure why. 

Fire_At_The_Disco

Today is the day Scottish clubs vote on var. 

If the vote is successful it will be paid for on a sliding scale with teams higher in the league paying more. It will be introduced after the World Cup Final in December if it goes through. Thoughts ?

I am a bit Meh about VAR.  I get it when it corrects obvious mistakes but I hate the thought of taking the spontaneity out of the big moments in games like celebrating a goal when it hits the net only to have that quashed because someone's toenail was offside.    I also think that despite VAR the OF will still benefit from the big decisions.  

Smoked-Glass
6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Get it to fk.

Spend the money on full-time referees first.

Great post.

Can I add that we should get refs from England or Wales so they can't be old squirm related (or any other club for that matter)

I have no faith that the refs up here will implement it properly. It could turn into an absolute shambles. Down south you have screens telling fans what is being checked. Not many have that here so the fans will be left wondering what the heck is going on half the time. I do think it's going to pass though and we will get it. 

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Today is the day Scottish clubs vote on var. 

If the vote is successful it will be paid for on a sliding scale with teams higher in the league paying more. It will be introduced after the World Cup Final in December if it goes through. Thoughts ?

I have a hunch, just a hunch, but those that pay more will get more decisions in their favour.

So for us. No decisions in favour against the uglies, but loads in favour against the rest.

Let's see shall we.

Seems strange that it will be implemented after the WC, after the season has already started.

No doubt there will be retrospective finger pointing about decisions prior to implementation compared to those post introduction of VAR.

KyleLafferty

For VAR to get the green light it requires 75 per cent of the Premiership, 75 per cent of the Championship and also three-quarters of League One and Two combined to vote in favour.

We need it installed regardless cause of our European adventures.

Why is it if our referees ref abroad why dont we get foreign refs to our game.

Cant mind but one of the semi refs had just done a game in Greece

Brighton Jambo

I think I am right in saying we are one of the only main leagues in Europe not to have VAR.  Its absolutely inevitable it will come in here at some point so we should bite the bullet and get on

with it.  

However I don’t agree with introducing it half way through a season, that’s seems crazy to me and compromises the integrity of the league.  Either bring it in for the start of next season or wait till the following season. 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

...andFulton'sBaggio

I hate VAR. Sucks all the joy out of scoring a goal / ruins the flow of the game / you never know if a penalty will stand so you can't really celebrate. All for what? Some decisions they get right, others they don't. Plus the whole offside by half a millimetres thing is BS. Please, please don't let it come to Scotland!

I’ve always been an advocate of VAR over the years even with it’s teething problems (many of which are due to the way laws are written or the the way the refs use VAR) however I don’t want it in Scottish football while we have this level or refereeing, it’s just crazy not to improve that first. I also find it mind blowing that it could be introduced during a season! I wonder what genius came up with that idea! It yet again makes the league look amateur 

I'm only in favour if big screens are installed in the stadiums so the public can see fair play in action. 

If not we are waiting around on the self important prick becoming an even more self important prick by keeping us all waiting for a decision we can't witness. 

27 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

75 percent of 10 doesn't go? How does it work in the Championship? 7 teams need to say yes?

🤣

RustyRightPeg
31 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

For VAR to get the green light it requires 75 per cent of the Premiership, 75 per cent of the Championship and also three-quarters of League One and Two combined to vote in favour.

We need it installed regardless cause of our European adventures.

Dont think VAR is in operation in conference league (doesn’t matter we’re gonna make it to Europa League) 

9 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Why is it if our referees ref abroad why dont we get foreign refs to our game.

Cant mind but one of the semi refs had just done a game in Greece

WE had European refs during the strike in 2010 over the Dougie McDonald lying fiasco.  Officials were brought in from: Malta, Israel, Poland, Portugal and Luxembourg.

The EPL have Jarred Gillet from Australia officiate games.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Get it to fk.

Why would we give corrupt referees more money. Better spent flying in foreign referees

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I'm only in favour if big screens are installed in the stadiums so the public can see fair play in action. 

If not we are waiting around on the self important prick becoming an even more self important prick by keeping us all waiting for a decision we can't witness. 

Unlike in England, VAR will be supervised by Hampden and results kept in a closed darkened room somewhere within the stadium.  In England the VAR official(s) are known, in Scotland it will be a bit like the Pools Panel.

Neverforgetfiveone
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Get it to fk.

Valid point 🤔👏🏻

36 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think I am right in saying we are one of the only main leagues in Europe not to have VAR.  Its absolutely inevitable it will come in here at some point so we should bite the bullet and get on

with it.  

However I don’t agree with introducing it half way through a season, that’s seems crazy to me and compromises the integrity of the league.  Either bring it in for the start of next season or wait till the following season. 

Mate said the other week that Malta have VAR, so we seem to be out of step with even the smaller leagues in Europe.

Stirling Albion consulted their fans before casting their vote today. 79% in favour. If that's anything to go by then it's likely it'll be passed.

It is not the VAR that bothers me it is those who are making the VAR descions . For example one of the uglie score a goal with dubious offside... is it going to be looked at openly? Or are they just going to say nothing to see here. Ref called back to look at a possible red card VAR is he going to change his call or is the possible red card going to be called by the VAR team ?  We know Scottish football is bent and always will be is VAR really going to change that? Personally I really doubt it. I forsee lots of VAR problems just at the right time to get the OF teams off the hook.

• davemclaren changed the title to Var in Scottish football ( merged )
davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

100% for it. 

It would be odd, and a very backward move, to vote against it. Still not over the moon about some of the ways it is used but it is the future. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Any chance we could ask for a video review of Maloney's sacking and get it overturned?

🤣🤣

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It would be odd, and a very backward move, to vote against it. Still not over the moon about some of the ways it is used but it is the future. 

Depends how it’s used.

Cast our minds back to the euro’s in the summer and the way it was operated was good. Not telling anyone or showing anyone when checks were going on, made you forget it was there until a genuine decision needed to be made.

I’ve watched a lot of European football and it isn’t consistent through any of the leagues. Serie A is probably the worst operated league I’ve seen. Even the EPL I don’t agree with showing replays on big screens etc. 

If it is an in the background thing, great.  If it is gonna be the forefront and a tool for us to sit and scrutinise our referees for absolutely everything they get wrong then I’m not as for it. It’s there to help them at the end of the day and let’s not forget our referees aren’t even full time. They need as much support as they can get.

• davemclaren changed the title to Var in Scottish football confirmed ( merged )