**Official Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell Match day thread**

WDJ87

Simms did well up front, got a goal for his efforts.    Sibbick probably rightly on the bench, not getting straight into a team that's trained together already.   Dud well for his first game back in the Maroon shirt. 😌 Bit off at times but quick, strong, reliable.   

We needed that second goal.   Very important at home.

The atmosphere was abit flat from my position in the Gorgie stand.   I've been trying different seats.    That was about the quietest along with the St Johnstone game. 

Might try a noisier section next time.    How about G :ohmy:   

It did liven up when the goals went in.   

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• Harry Potter

• Geoff Kilpatrick

LarrysRightFoot

Started the last 2 (arguably 3) games poorly. Do that in the derby and I’ve got a feeling we will pay. 

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Started the last 2 (arguably 3) games poorly. Do that in the derby and I’ve got a feeling we will pay. 

Seriously mate , the hobos cannae lay a finger on us, dinnae worry, we'll gub them.

LarrysRightFoot
3 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Seriously mate , the hobos cannae lay a finger on us, dinnae worry, we'll gub them.

Haha. I like you me confidence/appreciate the drink talking. Hibs will be well up for this game - we need to make sure we start correctly.

I’m an advocate of, for the derbies, let Locke take the team talk. 

Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

Haha. I like you me confidence/appreciate the drink talking. Hibs will be well up for this game - we need to make sure we start correctly.

I’m an advocate of, for the derbies, let Locke take the team talk. 

Nothing wrong with lettin' Lockie loose in the dressing room.

Hard to know what to think of our performance today. A really good 3 points against a tough (dirty) Motherwell side, but jeez we were jittery at the back  starting with Gordon’s distribution.

The two Aussies were poor with Atkinson looking really nervous, however I think Sibbick will be a good signing.

As Robbie said after the game we never got our usual passing game going - we will need to play better in the Derby.

Like Halliday on the left, he can cross, beat a man and has scored decent goals from their. Seems poor whenever he’s in central midfield for my money, so it’s him or Cochrane in that left back slot.

incidentally thought we missed Smith today, he’s the one who finds space against the press, and allows us to bust out. 

Anyhow, win while playing not so great against Motherwell being about as good as they can be. Encouraging.

22 minutes ago, naeclue said:

Like Halliday on the left, he can cross, beat a man and has scored decent goals from their. Seems poor whenever he’s in central midfield for my money, so it’s him or Cochrane in that left back slot.

incidentally thought we missed Smith today, he’s the one who finds space against the press, and allows us to bust out. 

Anyhow, win while playing not so great against Motherwell being about as good as they can be. Encouraging.

I think Halliday is showing a good attacking instinct at LWB. Hopefully a lot more to come from him there. 

RE Smith. I’m worried a bit that I’ve got in my head he’s a negative player, it’s just I notice him to play safe passes often backwards at the expense of attacking and going forward. Atkinson, I really thought he did well. He got forward plenty, took players on and caused Motherwell problems. As far as I can see he’s ticking all the boxes that we should be expecting to see in a wingback. 

It’s not to say Smith is wholly negative, he’s got forward and scores goals for us, I just think I see him choosing to retain possession than take on a man but often this causes a promising attack to break down. I wonder if going forward we might see him fill in at CB or even playing more or a RB role than Wingback with Atkinson in front as more or a pure winger? 

I actually do like Smith, he’s been very steady and consistent for us. So hope it doesn’t sound like I’m shitting on him. Especially in big games, he knows his role and carries it out flawlessly. I think maybe it’s a combo of body and not really being blessed with pace. Anyway, hope to see him back soon! 

3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Moore is not good enough.

Sibbick went from looking good to having a nightmare and back again. He seemed to hoof it when he had time and take too long when he had no time. Maybe just a bit rusty.

Having a nightmare?

behave

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Hard to know what to think of our performance today. A really good 3 points against a tough (dirty) Motherwell side, but jeez we were jittery at the back  starting with Gordon’s distribution.

The two Aussies were poor with Atkinson looking really nervous, however I think Sibbick will be a good signing.

As Robbie said after the game we never got our usual passing game going - we will need to play better in the Derby.

A defence half full of laddies who have barely played for us? And the first time they have played together.

You know important building up partnerships and relationships on the pitch is, right?

kept a clean sheet as well.

Give them a bit of a break mate

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Good post.  Pretty sure Rangers didn’t break any records in the Championship though.😉

image.jpeg.b0fd47cf65ae483f32f6b84059bbbef1.jpeg

Pasquale for King

Motherwell are a squad of giants who leave their foot in constantly, they pressed well today but we had more quality and were worthy winners. 
Bring on the Hibees. 

There were so many changes all over the park today that it is hardly surprising that we looked disjointed. It is great to bring new players in and everyone of them looks like a good addition. However, we have been  forced to play them all at once which upsets the rhythm. The loss of Halkett is massive but we showed yesterday that we can cope although KVV missed  couple of sitters for them. Yesterday, our back line was almost completely different from the one , we have had most of the season. I also think Robbie was resting one or two for the derby and also wanted to test the new boys fitness. All in all a great result considering the circumstances. The derby will be different. We need everyone at their best as that lot will be desperate to beat us. If we play near our capabilities we have more quality. 

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

There was some jittery moments that made me feel less confident.   The Van Vossen offside was good though from their free kick in the first half.    The defence held the line confidently.    Even though I freaked out no one marked him 😂    They perhaps deserve some praise for that defensive set piece.    😰 

Was a decent scrap overall.   I'm delighted for the three points.    I was much more confident with the two goals.    Simms movement for his goal was very good looking at the highlights.   Hard to take all these things in at the game.   

The referee was good for awhile then...   They always end up shit ☺. 

Haliday should have had a penalty and Slattery could have had a straight red for the Souttar challenge. 

Edited by HMFC01

6 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

. 😌 

The atmosphere was abit flat from my position in the Gorgie stand.   I've been trying different seats.    That was about the quietest along with the St Johnstone game. 

Might try a noisier section next time.    How about G :ohmy:   

It did liven up when the g:lol:oals went in.   

Any section N's?

Why was there an extra line of stewards down the stairs furthest away from the Motherwell end?

Seemed a bit OTT.

And Van Vossen in your last post, really??:whistling:

21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Any section N's?

Why was there an extra line of stewards down the stairs furthest away from the Motherwell end?

Seemed a bit OTT.

And Van Vossen in your last post, really??:whistling:

I knew it didn't feel right that name 😂. I went with it anyway 🤡.   Thanks for pointing it out.   :cool:.    I meant Kevin Van Veen. 

I noticed the stewards in section N also.    Did look unusual.   I wasn't in N.    Mostly taunting each other. 

Edited by HMFC01

Phil D. Corners

We are in the middle of 4 game run against 4 big teams. Sounds like Robbie is balancing out the squad well for these games. 

Ex member of the SaS

Great win and a fantastic gap to our nearest rivals. Just how Motherwell got away with so many fouls for no cards is beyond me, including pulling a player back by the arm which is an automatic yellow these days. We need to sort out the slow starts and thought we had then on toast from the KO when we went straight up the park and nearly scored only to allow them to dominate for most of the half. We seem to have fallen into this pattern of playing poorly for the first half only to find our boots the second.

Watched the Hibs highlights last night and they are dire so if we can sort out the slow start we should score a barrow load.

Ex member of the SaS
5 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

There was some jittery moments that made me feel less confident.   The Van Vossen offside was good though from their free kick in the first half.    The defence held the line confidently.    Even though I freaked out no one marked him 😂    They perhaps deserve some praise for that defensive set piece.    😰 

Was a decent scrap overall.   I'm delighted for the three points.    I was much more confident with the two goals.    Simms movement for his goal was very good looking at the highlights.   Hard to take all these things in at the game.   

The referee was good for awhile then...   They always end up shit ☺. 

Haliday should have had a penalty and Slattery could have had a straight red for the Souttar challenge. 

I find it hard to be happy when the defense rely on dodgy linesmen. I would much rather they did their job and removed any " mistakes" from officials. I was amazed he didn't give a penalty for the Soapy " challenge". That's what I mean about relying on officials.

Yesterdays match report for anyone who missed it. https://t.co/AjRvAdqxKf

Far from our best performance but could be one of the biggest wins we’ll get all season when you look at results elsewhere. Thought we missed Halkett big time. Moore looked shaky.

On to Tuesday now anyway, not sure how I feel about Hibs fans saying they’re worried we’ll put at least three past them. 

9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A defence half full of laddies who have barely played for us? And the first time they have played together.

You know important building up partnerships and relationships on the pitch is, right?

Agree. I notice Moore taking a bit criticism(rightly on a sole performance, people are entitled to) but I’ve read one post where he’s been written off?  

The guy was just back from injury himself. Before then he’d been pretty good when asked to start, esp his time at wing back.  His passing was off yesterday but has shown before that in many games he was technically decent and thorough with his passing.  

44 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree. I notice Moore taking a bit criticism(rightly on a sole performance, people are entitled to) but I’ve read one post where he’s been written off?  

The guy was just back from injury himself. Before then he’d been pretty good when asked to start, esp his time at wing back.  His passing was off yesterday but has shown before that in many games he was technically decent and thorough with his passing.  

Strangely, Moore looked a bit more assured when Souttar went off and Sibbick came on.

I think we’re going to have to think about who is going to play centrally at centre back and who is going to play RCB. Didn’t look all that convincing in that area. Clean sheet though so no harm done

38 minutes ago, briever said:

Depends what your standards are.

My standards are fine. What did he do wrong? He wasn't worse than the vast majority. As a team we weren't great, we were fine and still won fairly comfortable. 

What's there to moan about? 

ScandinavianJambo
8 hours ago, hisnameis said:

There were so many changes all over the park today that it is hardly surprising that we looked disjointed. It is great to bring new players in and everyone of them looks like a good addition. However, we have been  forced to play them all at once which upsets the rhythm. The loss of Halkett is massive but we showed yesterday that we can cope although KVV missed  couple of sitters for them. Yesterday, our back line was almost completely different from the one , we have had most of the season. I also think Robbie was resting one or two for the derby and also wanted to test the new boys fitness. All in all a great result considering the circumstances. The derby will be different. We need everyone at their best as that lot will be desperate to beat us. If we play near our capabilities we have more quality. 

Agree 100% with this. Hopefully we look less erratic on Tuesday. I also hope Gordon feels more settled with the backline, as he has looked unusually nervous the two last games. Best stopper there is, but distribution has been poor.. hey ho 10 points clear, so onwards & upwards! 

Exile fae Main Street

Expect I'll get pelters for this, not being an avid poster, or s visitor to Tynie these days. Watched on Alba yesterday, and the place seemed like a Morgue,  even after we scored it was just like polite handicapping   was it because the game itself was a bit of a borefest in which we didn't play well? Personally think it hasn't been the same since all seating was introduced. 

1 hour ago, Factuer Moi said:

I wonder how close Woodburn was to being onside.    Looks close from the replay there.   Maybe too close 😂. Benefit of the Doubt. 

5 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I wonder how close Woodburn was to being onside.    Looks close from the replay there.   Maybe too close 😂. Benefit of the Doubt. 

Players can drift get lost in these type of games, turns the mind into scrambled eggs. Banter sarcasm, whoooosh....

Anyone know the tune on this footage, it was played before the game yesterday on a pre match video. Had vocals on it though, non English. I thought it was a clue drop.

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Moore is not good enough.

Sibbick went from looking good to having a nightmare and back again. He seemed to hoof it when he had time and take too long when he had no time. Maybe just a bit rusty.

Least you got there in the end. 

3 hours ago, Jamiemac said:

Yesterdays match report for anyone who missed it. https://t.co/AjRvAdqxKf

Far from our best performance but could be one of the biggest wins we’ll get all season when you look at results elsewhere. Thought we missed Halkett big time. Moore looked shaky.

On to Tuesday now anyway, not sure how I feel about Hibs fans saying they’re worried we’ll put at least three past them. 

Great read as usual Jamie, appreciate your work. Halliday receiving  the love, some moment for him. Stevie Fulton suffered a similar type of marmite in his early Hearts games.

Edited by Factuer Moi

29 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Seen lines drew somewhere and think the linesman got it correct

39 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

Players can drift get lost in these type of games, turns the mind into scrambled eggs. Banter sarcasm, whoooosh....

Anyone know the tune on this footage, it was played before the game yesterday on a pre match video. Had vocals on it though, non English. I thought it was a clue drop.

Wasn’t even close (instrumental) by Velveteen 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Wasn’t even close (instrumental) by Velveteen 👍🏻

What country are they from, I found a band from London. Not sure if it is the same band though. Do you have a link for Velveteen 

55 minutes ago, Steak said:

Seen lines drew somewhere and think the linesman got it correct

Thank you.   

I think Woodburn might need some convincing.    His reaction was fairly direct. 😂 

4 hours ago, Factuer Moi said:

Great read as usual Jamie, appreciate your work. Halliday receiving  the love, some moment for him. Stevie Fulton suffered a similar type of marmite in his early Hearts games.

Cheers. Aye I’ve got to say I’m not his biggest fan, but I’d probably give him a new deal. Think he deserves to start Tuesday night too.  

1 minute ago, Jamiemac said:

Cheers. Aye I’ve got to say I’m not his biggest fan, but I’d probably give him a new deal. Think he deserves to start Tuesday night too.  

Play the players who are buying into things, Halliday is going to be on their minds.

20 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Un-twist yer knickers….mate!

On 29/01/2022 at 20:58, Lord BJ said:

Think we get a 2-0 win in a scrappy game. 

Stunning.  Top of the class.

Don't dare predict we're drawing with Hibs.

On 30/01/2022 at 11:53, Exile fae Main Street said:

Expect I'll get pelters for this, not being an avid poster, or s visitor to Tynie these days. Watched on Alba yesterday, and the place seemed like a Morgue,  even after we scored it was just like polite handicapping   was it because the game itself was a bit of a borefest in which we didn't play well? Personally think it hasn't been the same since all seating was introduced. 

More often than not Tynecastle needs the players to get the fans going and keep them going.

3 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

More often than not Tynecastle needs the players to get the fans going and keep them going.

It’s no better or worse than it’s ever been imo. It’s a myth that the atmosphere was generally better in days of yore. The better the Hearts play the better the atmosphere. 

bobby bombscare

I know i'm a bit late to the party here and there has already been an argument over this topic but....

I felt like GMS put himself about a fair bit. Seemed to be operating in some sort of 10 role maybe? He was regularly getting stuck in in tackles or for loose balls. Something I haven't really seen in him since coming to us! So I've got to say I was much happier with his performance after seeing some grit about him. He was still far from perfect but credit where it's due, that was a nice change! 

Also, another one that will upset people on here.... I think Halliday deserves a new contract. He is by no means the best player in ANY position. But he can used in a number of positions and he is an excellent option to have on the bench as he covers 4 or 5 positions without having to change formation or move all the players about. He's not going to be a legend, he isn't going to be a first team regular and he's not going to be a standout performer every week. But he is experienced, versatile and will be a good person to have about the squad as the younger players come through to pass over his experience. 

All in I was happy with the result. Especially considering it was our closest challengers and we didn't play our best team! Roll on tonight :D