Driving with new glasses.

graygo

Age finally catching up with me and got prescribed varifocal glasses recently which I picked up yesterday. I've needed glasses for reading for a while now but this is the first time I've had glasses for everyday use.

Driving with them is strange, can someone convince me to stick with it and that it will get better as I get used to it. 

2 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Age finally catching up with me and got prescribed varifocal glasses recently which I picked up yesterday. I've needed glasses for reading for a while now but this is the first time I've had glasses for everyday use.

Driving with them is strange, can someone convince me to stick with it and that it will get better as I get used to it. 

You stop noticing them very quickly. 

2 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I was the same.

Never wore glasses until around a year ago and I'm in my early 50's.

Only wear them to watch TV, Football, cinema or drive.

First time I wore them to drive it was really weird but now I cant really drive without them (well I can but I cant read the road signs or even the number plates in front of me).

Wouldn't be without them for driving or TV watching now. I wear them at Tynecastle too as I would not be able to tell you who's who without them.

Stick with them. I'm considering getting contacts but not sold on them yet. Seem to be a bit of a faff but I could be convinced.

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

I was the same.

Never wore glasses until around a year ago and I'm in my early 50's.

Only wear them to watch TV, Football, cinema or drive.

First time I wore them to drive it was really weird but now I cant really drive without them (well I can but I cant read the road signs or even the number plates in front of me).

Wouldn't be without them for driving or TV watching now. I wear them at Tynecastle too as I would not be able to tell you who's who without them.

Stick with them. I'm considering getting contacts but not sold on them yet. Seem to be a bit of a faff but I could be convinced.

I have both but go with contacts more often than not, contacts are horrible to start with but fairly quickly your eyes become less sensitive to them and you barely notice them, if at all

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I have both but go with contacts more often than not, contacts are horrible to start with but fairly quickly your eyes become less sensitive to them and you barely notice them, if at all

Just need to make the decision and go for it. I buy 3 pairs of glasses.

Plain for Driving that stay in the car

Sunglasses ones that stay in the car

Plain for the hoose for watching the TV

Costs a bloody fortune!

15 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

You should get one of those prescription windscreens.

7 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Actually, question.

If I wear contacts on a Saturday and get rat arsed and fall asleep with them in...is that a problem waiting to happen when I get up 10 hours later?

Thanks for the replies, I will stick with it. It's the varifocal bit that's troubling me as I can't just move my eyes to see what's to the left or right, I need to move my head to keep things in focus. I can now read my dashboard though. 😄

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Actually, question.

If I wear contacts on a Saturday and get rat arsed and fall asleep with them in...is that a problem waiting to happen when I get up 10 hours later?

The wife moans about them "sticking like a limpet" if she forgets to take them out.

I wore glasses for driving and reading for years. I could petty well live my every day life without them, but especially when driving long distances appreciated them. Had prescription sunglasses also. About five years ago got an eye test, advised I had cataracts that were now critical. Had surgery new lenses implanted, what a difference, can read drive live without glasses, 20/20 vision. With my new hip, my new eyes, I figure a couple of organ transplants I could live to 250 years of age on pensions.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

I wore glasses for driving and reading for years. I could petty well live my every day life without them, but especially when driving long distances appreciated them. Had prescription sunglasses also. About five years ago got an eye test, advised I had cataracts that were now critical. Had surgery new lenses implanted, what a difference, can read drive live without glasses, 20/20 vision. With my new hip, my new eyes, I figure a couple of organ transplants I could live to 250 years of age on pensions.

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

The wife moans about them "sticking like a limpet" if she forgets to take them out.

Hmmm...doesn't sound too good for me then. Can barely take my clothes off if I've had a gid sesh never mind taking contact lenses oot ma peepers!

31 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I went through the same last June. Got varifocals,  took a we while to get used to them, glad I did though otherwise I wouldn't be able to I've my phone while driving (joke).

I also got a pair just for distance, much prefer the varifocals. Distance only ones are for watching the telly while I'm relaxed and reclined.

15 minutes ago, superjack said:

I went through the same last June. Got varifocals,  took a we while to get used to them, glad I did though otherwise I wouldn't be able to I've my phone while driving (joke).

I also got a pair just for distance, much prefer the varifocals. Distance only ones are for watching the telly while I'm relaxed and reclined.

I've been moaning since we got an HD telly that it was all a big con and there was no difference, suddenly I see what all the fuss is about. 😄

26 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Actually, question.

Very much varies person to person and the biggest thing is how dry (or not) your eyes get when sleeping, I would appear to have quiet wet eyes so 'daily' disposable contacts can easily last me a few days including sleeping and I have no issue, other people want to claw their eyes out after 8-10 hours of wearing contacts. 

If you do get contacts just gradually build up how long you wear them, if you are fine wearing them for a full day then occasionally falling asleep shouldn't be an issue (just make sure to leave some eyedrops within arms reach before going out to get smashed to be on the safe side) 

42 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

My wife is used to keeping things in for hours on end.

:biggrin2:

32 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Thanks for the replies, I will stick with it. It's the varifocal bit that's troubling me as I can't just move my eyes to see what's to the left or right, I need to move my head to keep things in focus. I can now read my dashboard though. 😄

I got a pair of varifocals about a couple of years ago. At the optician I was asked if I wanted the prescription which deals with long and middle distance to be extended across the lens, as it is better for driving, as you don't have to turn your head as much as you would with normal varifocals. If your optician didn't mention this to you, it might be worth having a word with them.

37 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Hmmm...doesn't sound too good for me then. Can barely take my clothes off if I've had a gid sesh never mind taking contact lenses oot ma peepers!

And it can get worse. A friend years ago forgot to take them out as she was pished and ended up with sore eyes and couldn't wear her contacts for a week. Not long after came home similarly pished then woke up in the middle of the night and remembered her contacts. Couldn't get them out, fishing about for ages then gave up and went back to bed after giving her eyes a good skoosh of water. Woke up the next day to find her contacts in their wee case on her bedside table. Shed been fishing about trying to take out contacts she didn't have in! Shed been so determined to get the non existent lenses out she'd managed to damage the surface of both eyes and was on medication and eye drops for ages. 

11 minutes ago, Meathook said:

I got a pair of varifocals about a couple of years ago. At the optician I was asked if I wanted the prescription which deals with long and middle distance to be extended across the lens, as it is better for driving, as you don't have to turn your head as much as you would with normal varifocals. If your optician didn't mention this to you, it might be worth having a word with them.

I paid extra to have a wider "Y" viewing area if that makes sense. This was supposed to be better for long/middle distance but it's still not great for driving.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Very much varies person to person and the biggest thing is how dry (or not) your eyes get when sleeping, I would appear to have quiet wet eyes so 'daily' disposable contacts can easily last me a few days including sleeping and I have no issue, other people want to claw their eyes out after 8-10 hours of wearing contacts. 

If you do get contacts just gradually build up how long you wear them, if you are fine wearing them for a full day then occasionally falling asleep shouldn't be an issue (just make sure to leave some eyedrops within arms reach before going out to get smashed to be on the safe side) 

:thumbs_up:

48 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And it can get worse. A friend years ago forgot to take them out as she was pished and ended up with sore eyes and couldn't wear her contacts for a week. Not long after came home similarly pished then woke up in the middle of the night and remembered her contacts. Couldn't get them out, fishing about for ages then gave up and went back to bed after giving her eyes a good skoosh of water. Woke up the next day to find her contacts in their wee case on her bedside table. Shed been fishing about trying to take out contacts she didn't have in! Shed been so determined to get the non existent lenses out she'd managed to damage the surface of both eyes and was on medication and eye drops for ages. 

Aw fek that!

I'm think I just wont wear them if I'm getting peshed!

53 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I paid extra to have a wider "Y" viewing area if that makes sense. This was supposed to be better for long/middle distance but it's still not great for driving.

👍

the Hearts way
4 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I need glasses only for distance vision, driving and watching tv, so can't comment on variifocal glasses but my advice would be separate pairs for distance and other's for reading !

Realised in 1996 that I needed glasses whilst driving to Inverness and missed the turn off and nearly ended up in Aberdeen! Optician was horrified that I'd been driving and said "you're insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on" . I've perfect vision for reading/ mobile phone etc. There's online sites that you buy two pairs for £30. 

Edited by the Hearts way

22 minutes ago, the Hearts way said:

I need glasses only for distance vision, driving and watching tv, so can't comment on variifocal glasses but my advice would be separate pairs for distance and other's for reading !

Realised in 1996 that I needed glasses whilst driving to Inverness and missed the turn off and nearly ended up in Aberdeen! Optician was horrified that I'd been driving and said "you're insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on" . I've perfect vision for reading/ mobile phone etc. There's online sites that you buy two pairs for £30. 

I’d advise quite the opposite. I was told (wrongly) by an optician to not get varifocals as I work at height a lot. The faff of two pairs of specs drove me mad. I can things like not being able to go out without a jacket of bag as you had to carry the reading ones. It also made work a nightmare. Now I’ve got varifocals I don’t have to think about it. I got used to them almost instantly but I know people who struggled. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’d advise quite the opposite. I was told (wrongly) by an optician to not get varifocals as I work at height a lot. The faff of two pairs of specs drove me mad. I can things like not being able to go out without a jacket of bag as you had to carry the reading ones. It also made work a nightmare. Now I’ve got varifocals I don’t have to think about it. I got used to them almost instantly but I know people who struggled. 

It was not wanting to have to carry 2 pairs that convinced me to get the varifocals too.

7 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Don't drive but were varifocals myself. I've had them for a year and still can't get used to them. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I was lucky. I get supplied prescription safety glasses for work so I got them in varoficals. If I didn't take to them, well, we would see just how strong they really are. Tool them home for the weekend to see if I could get used to them. 

Ordered a pair online for myself the day after wearing the work ones around the house.