Favourite Simple Minds

Craig_

Inspired by @A Boy Named Crow's misreading of the meals thread, what's your favourite Simple Minds tune?

Would have to be one of their earlier numbers for me, things went a bit downhill for me after Derek Forbes left. Something like this perhaps:

Early stuff was decent but I seen them at The Playhouse early 1984 and he came across as a pretentious prick. One of the worst gigs I've ever been to. Same day as Henry had chucked the ball into the net a couple of times at Parkhead in a 4-1 defeat so a fully rotten day. 

I Travel.

I remember being in Planet Earth at Citrus in the 90s and they played it and I was blown away thinking it was a modern dance track. Possibly the first time I've asked a DJ what song he just played.

I had dismissed Simple Minds as a bombastic sub U2 with stuff like Belfast Child so to discover their early stuff was revelatory.

Empires and Dance and New Gold Dream are great albums.

14 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I Travel.

I remember being in Planet Earth at Citrus in the 90s and they played it and I was blown away thinking it was a modern dance track. Possibly the first time I've asked a DJ what song he just played.

I had dismissed Simple Minds as a bombastic sub U2 with stuff like Belfast Child so to discover their early stuff was revelatory.

I Travel definately.

Remeber hearing it in early 80's - thinking it was unique then - and still sounds good today.

Don't you.

Promised you a miracle.

Alive and Kicking.

I saw them at Meadowbank after being at a Hearts v Celtic game in which Tommy Coyne scored a hat-trick.

Jim Kerr came on stage wearing a Celtic scarf, and a Tricolour around his neck.

28 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I Travel.

Back in the early 80s I had a mate who'd request this song all the time and that was what got me hooked on them. I agree with comments aboiut New Gold Dream - a fantastic album and so is Once Upon a Time.

Alive & Kicking is my fav track but it always reminds me of the 85/86 season :sad:

But this is another one I really like from 1991 ...

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Liked some of their earlier stuff

Bigger in Edinburgh than Glasgow at that time

Sure they played 2 Xmas residencies first at Nite Club then Clouds

Saw them at Ibrox but by then they had jumped the shark

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Early stuff was decent but I seen them at The Playhouse early 1984 and he came across as a pretentious prick. One of the worst gigs I've ever been to. Same day as Henry had chucked the ball into the net a couple of times at Parkhead in a 4-1 defeat so a fully rotten day. 

Think he was always a bit of a twat, to be honest. No surprise that one of my favourite tunes of theirs is Theme For Great Cities, an instrumental!

As mentioned above, I Travel and New Gold Dream are absolute classics too.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Don't you.

Promised you a miracle.

Alive and Kicking.

I saw them at Meadowbank after being at a Hearts v Celtic game in which Tommy Coyne scored a hat-trick.

Throw in I Travel, and New Gold Dream, and Morgan has hit the nail on the head.

I was a big fan of theirs back in the day. When I got older I realised how much utter shite he says when he sings? 

His lyrics are right up there with the Police (doo doo dah type shite).

Last time I seen them was in Inverness. Was an open air concert. We really went to see the support band which was Big Country. Anyway, Simple Minds came on and a couple of songs into his set the rain started. Proper rain that flooded the ground we stood on. Que that welt singing "Waterfront"...get in get out of the rain! SO we left for the pub.

Celtic wank!

Cairneyhill Jambo
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Don't you.

Promised you a miracle.

Alive and Kicking.

Was that not the time when it was originally scheduled for Murrayfield but because of the SRU stance on apartheid, it was moved to Meadowbank?

7 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Was that not the time when it was originally scheduled for Murrayfield but because of the SRU stance on apartheid, it was moved to Meadowbank?

I remember seeing them at Meadowbank (Texas was supporting) and a guy in the crowd  - I think he was (ex) squaddie - giving him non-stop abuse over his Celtic love-in.

4 hours ago, felix said:

I Travel definately.

Remeber hearing it in early 80's - thinking it was unique then - and still sounds good today.

I think they are a bit unfairly overlooked in the early 80's electronic scene probably because of what they turned into from Don't You Forget About Me onwards.

If they'd kept the art pop angle and less of the U2 ism's they could have had a similar path to Depeche Mode possibly.

27 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

18 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I remember seeing them at Meadowbank (Texas was supporting) and a guy in the crowd  - I think he was (ex) squaddie - giving him non-stop abuse over his Celtic love-in.

Yes to both.

To make a bad day worse, we had been drinking in the Penny Black between the match and the concert.

:facepalm:

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Back in the early 80s I had a mate who'd request this song all the time and that was what got me hooked on them. I agree with comments aboiut New Gold Dream - a fantastic album and so is Once Upon a Time.

Alive & Kicking is my fav track but it always reminds me of the 85/86 season :sad:

But this is another one I really like from 1991 ...

Don't think I've listened to Once Upon a Time; really only listened to the albums I got in a x5 box set years ago which was all the albums from Life In a Day to New Gold Dream and a double disc compilation of Sparkle in The Rain and New Gold Dream (so good I have it twice)
Will give it a whirl as this thread has prompted me to have another WFH Band Discography listen through (this one at least won't be as long as the Fall...)

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

1988/89? Might have been me although I'm not an ex squddie.  Colossal bell end that man. He came on with his arms outstreched like some  kind of messiah 🙄

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

:getout:

I'm still alive and kicking. 

What is it with Celtic and ruining my playlist. I used to quite like Depeche mode until they fecking robbed their song. Tho personal Jesus is an epic song .

Malinga the Swinga

I Travel is the only Simple Minds track I would listen to now.

Once they cracked the market, the band disappeared up their own backsides and haven't reappeared since.

8 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Inspired by @A Boy Named Crow's misreading of the meals thread, what's your favourite Simple Minds tune?

Would have to be one of their earlier numbers for me, things went a bit downhill for me after Derek Forbes left. Something like this perhaps:

Me & my brother went to see SM at SECC in 1991. On the way there, our coach missed the junction on the M8 going to the venue. The driver just carried on oblivious to his mistake.  I joked to my bro if we pads the Daily Record building then we're on our way to Hampden. 2 minutes later we passed the Record building. We arrived as the support act was ending. At the gig my brother fainted. Twice.  :faceplam:  On the way home our coach crashed into another car pulling out the junction at the old Livingston bus station. I ended up giving a witness statement to the police. 

Not only that I'd been in St John's for routine surgery just a few weeks before the gig and burst all my stitches and had to go back in to get stitched up again 🤭

Edited by Marvin

40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm still alive and kicking. 

What is it with Celtic and ruining my playlist. I used to quite like Depeche mode until they fecking robbed their song. Tho personal Jesus is an epic song .

Used to like that song too.

adambraejambo

Celebration....Changeling and I Travel

Live in City of Light ...Waterfront 

S fighting Years....Soul Crying out.

Can't remember what albums they from but loved Up on the Catwalk and The American as well. Don't think I could name a song they have done in last 10 years though. Had a listen to a greatest hits thing on Spotify that was up to date and whilst some new stuff was OK it  didn't make me add any of the recent stuff to any play lists . Seen them twice . Meadowbank and Usher Hall.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I agree. 

Though I’m a bit confused. 

Understandable. I was like the OP. So, favourite Simple Meals: Belfast Child

Jambo_jim2001
12 hours ago, Craig_ said:

X2

Premonition 

Up on the Catwalk 

I travel

Last few albums have been quite good too, after a decade or so of dross. 

I do quite like Jim Kerr. Comes across quite well in interviews these days. He's one of the folk on Janice Long's "A long walk" series that's back up on the BBC Sounds App. Worth a listen if you like the band. 

And there's a new book out about early Simple Minds. By Graeme Thomson,who's an excellent music author. 

On 25/01/2022 at 09:01, Craig_ said:

Good shout. You need to go back to the start with SM to really grasp their quality if you aren’t a loyal fan. 

For most, people only know the comfy radio stuff that gets pumped out.  

But I like their journey. They’ve never been samey and they became a great live band. People wouldn’t believe how they transformed songs like Love Song or PYAM into great, bombastic stadium tunes.  

They don’t get the recognition for being one of the first 80s bands to use synth in their music alongside drums and guitars, because it’s more attributed to bands who were actually known as being solely synth in style.  👍🏻

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Poor man's U2

Bono said SM’s album, New Gold Dream, was the one they always wanted to do. The Unforgettable Fire which came after drew comparisons.  

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Bono said SM’s album, New Gold Dream, was the one they always wanted to do. The Unforgettable Fire which came after drew comparisons.  

Aye and sure Messi always wanted to ginger hair like KdB.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye and sure Messi always wanted to ginger hair like KdB.

He’d suit it. 

Edited by Debut 4

Not a huge fan, but New Gold Dream is very good. I also like Street Fighting Years, which just didn’t sound like Simple Minds at all when it came out - all that lovely acoustic bass and a different sound altogether for them. I remember lying on a sofa in Frankfurt with a couple of beers listening to a local radio station when the DJ played the newly released album in its entirety and trying to work out whether or not l was listening to SM. Mind you, the album title is howling and towards the end they lapse into three awful, posturing, right-on political songs which don’t chime with the rest of the album - Mandela Day, Belfast Child and their slaughtering of Gabriel’s Biko.

The version of Book of Brilliant Things on Live in the City of Lights is pretty good. 

Where was it that Kerr was shacked up with Chrissie Hynde? Forth Street, Albany Street, somewhere like that? Celtic tosser.

Edited by leginten

6 hours ago, leginten said:

Not a huge fan, but New Gold Dream is very good. I also like Street Fighting Years, which just didn’t sound like Simple Minds at all when it came out - all that lovely acoustic bass and a different sound altogether for them. I remember lying on a sofa in Frankfurt with a couple of beers listening to a local radio station when the DJ played the newly released album in its entirety and trying to work out whether or not l was listening to SM. Mind you, the album title is howling and towards the end they lapse into three awful, posturing, right-on political songs which don’t chime with the rest of the album - Mandela Day, Belfast Child and their slaughtering of Gabriel’s Biko.

The version of Book of Brilliant Things on Live in the City of Lights is pretty good. 

Where was it that Kerr was shacked up with Chrissie Hynde? Forth Street, Albany Street, somewhere like that? Celtic tosser.

They lived in Queensferry for a short while in the mid-1980s, I believe. One of the big flats on the Edinburgh Road overlooking the bridge.