Rangers Playing Rangers "B" Players

Alec Eiffel

SPFL should fix squad sizes and clubs should not be allowed to play players from the "B" team playing in the lowland league.

Rangers played Lowry on Sunday.  He is registered with the B team and should not be played as it is an advantage over other clubs in the division.   

In other countries that allow "B" teams, those teams (and players) are registered as a separate entity and players are not allowed to switch except during the transfer window. As usual the SPFL/SFA have not thought it through.

The Treasurer

I'm sure a rule was put in place preventing this, but it may be different for the Scottish Cup.

Then again, it might just be that the OF are ignoring the rules or changing them to suit themselves

38 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm sure a rule was put in place preventing this, but it may be different for the Scottish Cup.

Then again, it might just be that the OF are ignoring the rules or changing them to suit themselves

Interesting if there is a rule put in place for the Scottish Cup that's just been overlooked. Teams have been chucked out for less, and it would be hilarious if Rangers got punted out the cup for not following the rules. 

At the very worst though, they'd probably just have to replay the fixture, knowing the way their punishments would be handled. 

I'm sure there's some rule that B players can be played but if they make more than 5 appearances they have to move to the main squad permanently,  Celtic played a B team striker against St Johnstone before the winter break.

Tbh, I really don't agree with teams having B teams, but if you do surely the whole point is it's in place of a reserve league and if they are doing well they can be promoted. Otherwise youngsters are just stuck at a lower level with no room for progression so a loan would be just as good.

The Treasurer
19 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I'm sure there's some rule that B players can be played but if they make more than 5 appearances they have to move to the main squad permanently,  Celtic played a B team striker against St Johnstone before the winter break.

Tbh, I really don't agree with teams having B teams, but if you do surely the whole point is it's in place of a reserve league and if they are doing well they can be promoted. Otherwise youngsters are just stuck at a lower level with no room for progression so a loan would be just as good.

I agree with you, if this was open to all clubs, but as usual, it only benefits two clubs 

Niemi’s gloves

There is also the issue of the number of clubs a player can play for in one season. Presumably Lowry could now be lent out to an SPFL club for the rest of the season despite having played for both Rangers in the cup and Rangers ‘A’ in the lowland league. I’m not sure that that would be possible for, say, Aidan Denholm who made a substitute appearance for us in the league cup and then went on loan to Berwick Rangers in the lowland league. 

(I’m speculating here: I don’t know the ins-and-outs of the rules)

AllyjamboDerbyshire
8 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

SPFL should fix squad sizes and clubs should not be allowed to play players from the "B" team playing in the lowland league.

Rangers played Lowry on Sunday.  He is registered with the B team and should not be played as it is an advantage over other clubs in the division.   

In other countries that allow "B" teams, those teams (and players) are registered as a separate entity and players are not allowed to switch except during the transfer window. As usual the SPFL/SFA have not thought it through.

Maybe they did, then asked TRFC and Celtic what they wanted the rule to be.

Jeeeezo !

Who actually cares  ?

This might just be it...

The curious thing is they said B teams would improve Scottish football.

So that surely means their B team players do go into the first team. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

More likely the latter than a cup rule. At the end of the day though who is going to say anything even if it is rule?  They’ll just say it was a Covid issue. Lack of players. 

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

The whole idea of the B teams was to support development of young players. This is fairly pointless when Rangers are happy to bring in foreign players at the drop of a hat.

Their Aberdeen game last week had only 1 Scots outfield player in the starting XI,the Stirling game had 0 Scots outfield players in the starting XI. 

It's a marketing exercise.

The original OP point is that the SPFL restrict clubs to the maximum number of registered players they can have and the signing of players only within the transfer windows.

The case in question has Rangers allowed to use not only the players in their main squad but also those in the B squad.  This is not fair on the other SPFL clubs.  They never thought it through.

Edited by Tasavallan

Seymour M Hersh
59 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

The original OP point is that the SPFL restrict clubs to the maximum number of registered players they can have and the signing of players only within the transfer windows.

The case in question has Rangers allowed to use not only the players in their main squad but also those in the B squad.  This is not fair on the other SPFL clubs.  They never thought it through.

Quelle surprise! 

They're very unlikely to change it though as that would require a minor penalising of the uglies and we know that would never do. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

I disagree. SPFL thought it through in its entirety and knew exactly what they were doing. Another advantage given to the 2 clubs that run Scottish football provided by their governing body.

On 25/01/2022 at 14:44, JTJ said:

There was a Rangers B team earlier this season where 12 of the 18 players were ineligible for Scotland. Hardly to help "Scotland"......

This is what rips my knitting, for example Rangers brought an American keeper over at the start of the season and played him in U18s for a while iirc. Think he's in the b squad now. No scottish lad good enough?