Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

5 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

But what if Russia win?  Do we get normal bills again?

First Russia invades Lithuania and Georgia. 

At which point US moves forces into Poland. And then it gets really serious. 

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

First Russia invades Lithuania and Georgia. 

At which point US moves forces into Poland. And then it gets really serious. 

Aye but can I have a 20min shower?

From an energy bill standpoint, it doesn't matter who wins.

Win or lose, Russia will keep using gas and oil supply as a negotiating tool, just like the Arabs do and will turn the taps off every time they want something.

Baws to that.

So the only way for that to not be a problem is to move away from Russian supply and either get other sources of those fossil fuels or away from fossil fuels entirely.

It's no longer an economic or environmental issue.

It's one of national security.

For far too long The West has been blackmailed and held ransom by arsehole regimes just because they happen to have large fossil fuel supplies.
USA and UK launched a coup in Iran in the 1950s because they had the nerve to nationalise their oil industry.

We saw big problems in the 1970s with the various oil crises in the middle east.
We saw an attempt to grab more fossil fuels as use as a political bargaining chip in the 90s with Iraq.

We're seeing it now with Russia.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I see that Mikhail Gorbachev has cashed up his chips.

Always liked that fella.

I was reading a good article about him the other week and I can’t find it now. 
He was horrified with the direction Putin had taken Russia again. 
Seemed a good guy anyway but sure some

counter claim somewhere will say otherwise. 

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I mind watching the Berlin wall coming down live on the TV. I recall the mood of optimism. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about it. 

He was complicit in the  shitshow that preceded and followed the collapse of the USSR, though, which, arguably, has led us to where we are now.

Not sure how much more he could've done, unfortunately.

A good man in the company of wolves. One of the best.

RIP

10 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

He described Putin's pals as thieves and corrupt. He was spot on.

The world should have more Gorbachevs and fewer Putins, Assads, Johnsons and Trumps.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Mister T said:

The world should have more Gorbachevs and fewer Putins, Assads, Johnsons and Trumps.

Absolutely. 

il Duce McTarkin
36 minutes ago, Mister T said:

We should offer him a state funeral.

Sawdust Caesar
On 30/08/2022 at 12:38, Pap said:

Ukraine firing dummy rockets to draw fire from Russian defences

Ukraine has been firing dummy rockets to draw fire from Russian defences, according to the Washington Post.

Troops have been launching the fake HIMAR weapons to encourage Russian ships to fire its expensive long-range missiles needlessly.

At least 10 Russian missiles have been fired at the wooden rockets, a source told the paper.

There have also been fake soldiers (scarecrows) deployed, as well as wooden tanks made, in an effort to fool invading soldiers.

:rofl: superb thinking.

Ukraine has also built wooden HIMARS to draw enemy fire and apparently Russia has wasted at least 10 Kaliber cruise missiles destroying the fake HIMARS. 

On 30/08/2022 at 08:56, Dirk McClaymore said:

Eternity in a like of firey brimstone for you, boyo, with Bielzebub's pitchforked tazer up yer hoop.

We'll that explains you, at least.

:D

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Wait for the big explosion at the end of the 2nd vid.

That is some amount of ammo going up. As you say, the final explosion was "big".

Sawdust Caesar
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

That is some amount of ammo going up. As you say, the final explosion was "big".

The boy's windows smashing from the shockwave. I thought he was at a safe distance away but maybe with it being dark it is harder to judge how close he is to it. Too close for him.

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

The boy's windows smashing from the shockwave. I thought he was at a safe distance away but maybe with it being dark it is harder to judge how close he is to it. Too close for him.

The boy seemed to take cover just before his window blew in, so I wonder if he saw the window flex just a second earlier.

Sawdust Caesar
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The boy seemed to take cover just before his window blew in, so I wonder if he saw the window flex just a second earlier.

Could be, I thought the size of the explosion was what made him move. Either way he's saved himself from getting a facefull of glass

36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Reports of 110k dead civilians in mariupol…

What a world this is. 

Its horrific, mate. Mobile crematoriums and that. Russia must lose this war. No matter what the struggles are currently in our and other countries. For the future security of this entire planet we need to stand strong with Ukraine and defeat Russia.

jack D and coke
59 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Read today that he supported the annexation of Crimea.

As with most figures from history, probably not a complete good guy or bad guy.

See I don’t know enough about that part of the world to comment. 
I assume I’ll see more things appear counter claiming his terrible he was I guess it’s the way of things now. 
I seen one twitter account saying rot in hell Gorbachev🤷🏽‍♂️
It’s hard to work out just wtf is going on with anything anymore. 
I maybe need to delve deeper but I’ve always felt he brought Russia out of its shell. Gorbachev looks like an old uncle to me. Putin looks like an psychotic ivan. 

47 minutes ago, Pap said:

Its horrific, mate. Mobile crematoriums and that. Russia must lose this war. No matter what the struggles are currently in our and other countries. For the future security of this entire planet we need to stand strong with Ukraine and defeat Russia.

All sounds insane.
I’ve read the mobile crematoriums are for the Russians too so he doesn’t have to explain what happened to his army. 
It’s hard to contemplate in this day and age that this stuff is still going on. 

Putin knows the psychological and political impact on the public of thousands of body bags or coffins being delivered back home.

He'd rather incinerate them in situ and send a jam jar of ashes back to the family.

No big funerals.

All very hush hush.

Was thinking that eventually the parents of the deceased Russian servicemen will create a network between themselves and that at some point will become mainstream. 

Russia are saying literally nothing about the amount deaths and they ultimately cant. If they came out saying, yeh we've lost 30,000 servicemen in 6 months, in my opinion the Russian public would wake up.

The US seemed to put the estimations of Russian deaths much lower than The Ukraine's estimations (45,000) but i noticed recently that the US estimates more now. Could be a bit propaganda at work there but even at 30,000 thats a crazy amount of deaths and now that the tide somewhat seems to be turning and plus with winter approaching its going to get much worse.

If they take back Kherson, it will be a major humiliation for Putin. Under pressure, think thats when he will start to think about using the "bigger weapons".

Come on, Ukraine!

27 minutes ago, Pap said:

Was thinking that eventually the parents of the deceased Russian servicemen will create a network between themselves and that at some point will become mainstream. 

Russia are saying literally nothing about the amount deaths and they ultimately cant. If they came out saying, yeh we've lost 30,000 servicemen in 6 months, in my opinion the Russian public would wake up.

The US seemed to put the estimations of Russian deaths much lower than The Ukraine's estimations (45,000) but i noticed recently that the US estimates more now. Could be a bit propaganda at work there but even at 30,000 thats a crazy amount of deaths and now that the tide somewhat seems to be turning and plus with winter approaching its going to get much worse.

If they take back Kherson, it will be a major humiliation for Putin. Under pressure, think thats when he will start to think about using the "bigger weapons".

Come on, Ukraine!

The way America and Ukraine count the casualties is different, Ukraine counts POWs and wounded in their figures but America just counts the dead. I watched a video on it recently and the numbers of dead reported aren't much different when you subtract POWs and wounded.

Fell from a hospital window no less, damn there's another thing you need to worry about if you go into hospital. The window threat.

Chairman of Russian oil producer Lukoil dies after falling from hospital window - source

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/chairman-russian-oil-producer-lukoil-dies-after-falling-hospital-window-source-2022-09-01/

Hagar the Horrible

The US estimate based on social media and satelite photographs that Russia is losing around 500 troups per day.  and estimate that 80k is the realistic picture.  At some point that information will be drip fed to the public.  But its clear they keep casualties as a state secret is no supprise but although some remains have been returned and given hero funerals,  but the remainder wont have in fact those told their loved ones have ben killed they wont know the scale, probably told its just their family member in iscolation.

But they are clearly just using mobile cremation units to hide the actual numbers.  Its clear that there is a lot of people in the army but how many are actual trained soldiers?

Will Putin get a state funeral or will he just fall out of a window

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Putin confirmed he wont attend Gorbachevs funeral.

At least he's consistent.

48 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Will Putin get a state funeral or will he just fall out of a window

Hopefully the latter.

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Putin confirmed he wont attend Gorbachevs funeral.

Probably scared that he'll end up in the hole alongside Gorbachev.

On 30/08/2022 at 22:30, Cruyff said:

Probably not. 

Blame the Government for not building energy efficient housing and relying on gas from tinpot states. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Long  may the wind rotate our turbines...need enormous battery storage though, like when we were becalmed in 2021...nae blaw.

Edited by OBE

jack D and coke
8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Meanwhile Russian business people still retiring

That’s shocking, tragic for the guy and absolutely hilarious all at the one time. 

G7 nations agree to implement a price cap on Russian oil.

Anyone needing shipping services or insurance cover from G7 nations in respect to importing Russian oil would have to adhere to this cap.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

G7 nations agree to implement a price cap on Russian oil.

Anyone needing shipping services or insurance cover from G7 nations in respect to importing Russian oil would have to adhere to this cap.

There was an interesting piece on Radio 4 this afternoon, saying Russia is still selling oil to China and India, the suggestion was that Russian oil should still be on the market but the oil price needs to be around $40 per barrel and that'll hurt financially the most.

Footballfirst

The only explanation can be that the pipeline got too close to a window and a Gazprom employee carelessly discarded a cigarette butt.

Russia just need to hang on until November because Germany will undermine everyone and start begging Russia for gas. The Vatniks know this. Never trust ze Germans. 

4 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Just read a interview with the first lady of Ukraine. I want Russia to pump them. 

What a useless post mate.

Either explain what your on about, or post a link.

Googled her, but seeing nothing to understand your post.:dontgetit:

22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

One of the Russian cruelties not mentioned so much.

'Reward' for staying alive....sign up to fight your own people 🙈 honestly cannot understand why the rest of the world is allowing this to happen if its as black and white as it seems?

7 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Just read a interview with the first lady of Ukraine. I want Russia to pump them. 

I wouldn't go that far but you couldn't redden her neck with a blowtorch !

Talking about us “ counting pennies while they count bodies “ in a condescending way. A shyster with a dodgy financial CV shouldn't be talking about anyone.

Doesn't alter the fact that this conflict needs sorted pronto. There has been enough suffering.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Boab said:

I wouldn't go that far but you couldn't redden her neck with a blowtorch !

Talking about us “ counting pennies while they count bodies “ in a condescending way. A shyster with a dodgy financial CV shouldn't be talking about anyone.

Doesn't alter the fact that this conflict needs sorted pronto. There has been enough suffering.

8 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Bit sensitive. She made points in clear and concise way and nothing she said wasn't true.

Absolutely no point in crying about energy bills on one thread while professing support for Ukraine in another.

Not saying it is you two who are doing this but plenty other are.

Supporting Ukraine costing UK, and other countries, billions which tax payers need to fund. The expectation that we should simply have government pick up shortfall is naive beyond belief, but it gives folk reason to moan.