Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

17 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I saw the headline and just ignored it. 

Beyond embarrassing 

I read a large piece from a US group (non govt) that used various osint sources that paints a very different picture and suggests the Russian economy is collapsing and if the west can be strong enough for even a little longer the long term damage will be massive. 

Just seen JFK1s post - that's the document I meant. Some startling figures in there. 

People tend to think of just the money we paid them for oil/gas, but it's a lot more than that and it will cripple them. Analysts are reporting that they're scavenging microchips from washing machines and the like to put in drones. Probably taken from looted Ukrainian washing machines.

That's down to the tech embargo. And as all their shit breaks down and they can't repair it they're screwed. Putin is re-establishing the old Soviet Union. His people will think they are in it because they're going to be thrown back into the 1950's.

There is no going back from this for them. Even if the war ended with Russia routed and Ukraine recovering all territory this will still go on. Indefinitely.

Has to be the biggest strategic miscalculation since Hitler decided it would be a good idea to invade Russia, and expected it to be over quickly.

Edited by JFK-1

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

People tend to think of just the money we paid them for oil/gas, but it's a lot more than that and it will cripple them. Analysts are reporting that they're scavenging microchips from washing machines and the like to put in drones. Probably taken from looted Ukrainian washing machines.

That's down to the tech embargo. And as all their shit breaks down and they can't repair it they're screwed. Putin is re-establishing the old Soviet Union. His people will think they are in it because they're going to be thrown back into the 1950's.

There is no going back from this for them. Even if the war ended with Russia routed and Ukraine recovering all territory this will still go on. Indefinitely.

Has to be the biggest strategic miscalculation since Hitler decided it would be a good idea to invade Russia, and expected it to be over quickly.

I've read about 60 pages of it so far and it's very, very interesting stuff they've picked up - the tank factory shutting down due to lack if western tech.

While most observers seem fascinated by Putin's miscalculations over western support for Ukraine and the broadening of NATO to Sweden etc , the big story seems to be that no one trusts Russia, China cannot or will not step up to fill the void left by Western sanctions (its current trade is just a fraction of Rus/USA trade) and just how vulnerable Russia is to the west moving to alt sources of energy. 

Russia could be reduced to a nothing state. It's income largely removed in perpetuity even when war ceases. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The similarity is that neither Hitler nor Putin were/are sane enough to fear the consequences of getting it wrong. Putin will be dead before long. He’s clearly not well (physically - obviously he’s not well mentally). Russia like Germany will pay heavily but the man who instigated it all won’t be around to bear the cost 

Sawdust Caesar

The Russians are firing so many artillery barrages  and not keeping up regular maintenance or replacing the worn out tubes and they are exploding. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

I've read about 60 pages of it so far and it's very, very interesting stuff they've picked up - the tank factory shutting down due to lack if western tech.

While most observers seem fascinated by Putin's miscalculations over western support for Ukraine and the broadening of NATO to Sweden etc , the big story seems to be that no one trusts Russia, China cannot or will not step up to fill the void left by Western sanctions (its current trade is just a fraction of Rus/USA trade) and just how vulnerable Russia is to the west moving to alt sources of energy. 

Russia could be reduced to a nothing state. It's income largely removed in perpetuity even when war ceases. 

Russia are so stupid, that they think they are being clever and hurting the West by cutting gas supplies or even stopping them altogether, when all they are doing is losing yet another customer and revenue stream.   Russia are going to be right royaly donald ducked when the oil & gas price collapses, and it will collapse, the world is teetering on the brink of recession and that's all it'll take for the oil/gas price to collapse, and Russia will go down the plug hole.

Wheat, again the Russians are shooting themselves in the foot, as many countries, those that are able to at least, are upping their own production, where they can, so that they are not as reliant on Russian/Ukrainian wheat/barley supplies, that'll be Russia losing even more revenue streams in the future.

Trust, an example of how Putin/Russia has trashed trust.

There were around 500 leased passenger aircraft at the start of the war, not one has been returned, Russia has stolen them and re-registered them in Russia, 500 modern Airbus & Boeing planes, that's one hell of a lot of money, and you can bet the leasing agents will want paid, sooner or later, but it's also 500 planes which will not get spare parts or maintenance or software updates, which means that 500 will rapidly decrease as they cannibalize more and more planes to keep other planes in the air.  Even after all this is over, can you see leasing agents willing to lease aircraft to Russia......no chance, certainly not without getting billions in compensation for the stolen planes and even then I'd imagine the Russians would be charged extortionate rates, simply because who can trust them.

Just another example of how Putin is destroying Russia.

Here's the Russian occupied prison where around 50 Ukrainian POWs were killed before the "attack"

3500.jpg?width=700&quality=85&fit=max&s=

And here it is after.

6228.jpg?width=700&quality=85&fit=max&s=

Doesn't look like that damage was cause by any kind of artillery or aerial bomb.

No crater and no other buildings in the complex took any damage at all.

Experts think it was a bomb planted inside the building.

Which means the Russians did it.

Putin signs new Naval doctrine into law.

Apparently, according to him, the Russian navy is going to overtake the USA and rule the waves all over the globe.

Gene-Wilder-Died.jpg

indianajones

Highly encourage everyone to avoid watching any video or viewing photographs of certain things going on in Ukraine. 

Horrifying stuff. Just avoid.

Nucky Thompson
52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Russia is safe.

It has banned Piers Morgan. 

And fatty Blackford :rofl:

Ive actually heard Russia and Putin are presently economically and practically in a really strong position. 

I think a lot of you on this thread are following a narrative which just doesn't hold up.

Its a little similar to how most on here thought vaccination was the way to go during the "covid" narrative and didn't understand how they were being played by the governments , media and the like. 

24 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Ive actually heard Russia and Putin are presently economically and practically in a really strong position. 

I think a lot of you on this thread are following a narrative which just doesn't hold up.

Its a little similar to how most on here thought vaccination was the way to go during the "covid" narrative and didn't understand how they were being played by the governments , media and the like. 

😂😂😂😂 What a pile of moronic rubbish 😂😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Where did you hear that?

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Where did you hear that?

Does he not subscribe to some batshit TV channel run by Captain Pugwash?

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Does he not subscribe to some batshit TV channel run by Captain Pugwash?

I've no idea, I've seen nothing other than Putin and Russia and being hit hard by the sanctions.

Jeffros Furios
47 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

:rofl:

Shooter McGavin

When an anonymous account on the internet starts a statement with “I’ve actually heard”, you can be 99.9% sure it’s bulls***.

11 hours ago, thewiseone said:

I've actually heard, from credible sources, that the internet is awash with utter pish specifically placed there for the unwise to look at then parrot. Plus i've actually heard there are people who don't even read it, they just invent utter pish for mysterious reasons.

It's absolutely nothing like covid, which again just comes back to the utter pish 'narrative'

But, i'm always open for education. Any source for such utter pish may elevate it, though probably just slightly, from utter pish to risible shite. We will see. 

For anyone who has any concerns about being 'played' by governments, none of these guys are a government. Times Radio isn't a government either. Or am I talking utter pish?

Is Russia on the verge of economic collapse?

12 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Ukraine: Life Under Russia's Attack (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

A dramatic and intimate look inside the Russian assault on Kharkiv, told by the people living through it.

When Russia began its attack on Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, in February of 2022, many people expected the city to fall in days. But the Ukrainians refused to surrender.

Now, a new FRONTLINE documentary tells the story of the battle for Kharkiv through the experiences of those who stayed in the city, despite the ever-present threat of the war.

Filmed during the first three months of the war, the documentary chronicles the experiences of people living through Russia’s attack: the displaced families trying to survive underground; the civilians caught in the fight; and the first responders risking their lives to help others.

There's a viewer discretion warning at the beginning.

This program contains graphic content which may not be suitable for all audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.

Not all is as it seems, a little like covid story me thinks!  

Heres a star performer playing a game.

41 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Not all is as it seems, a little like covid story me thinks!  

Heres a star performer playing a game.

You try managing an all out war. 

The main criticism of Zelensky and the Government is not being fully ready for the attacks. Obviously you could have different views on how it's being managed. 

Kiev defended, all the aircraft moved, comms protected. And the armed forces modernised. But South lost too easily. US intelligence and friends in the Russian security services said there would be an invasion but Ukraine denied it. 

But overall I wouldn't want his job. And he did stay despite where the Government is being vulnerable to the biggest Russian bombs. 

Suppose if you favour Russia there could be plenty to pick fault with. Same for example with Churchill for UK. 

19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

You try managing an all out war. 

The main criticism of Zelensky and the Government is not being fully ready for the attacks. Obviously you could have different views on how it's being managed. 

Kiev defended, all the aircraft moved, comms protected. And the armed forces modernised. But South lost too easily. US intelligence and friends in the Russian security services said there would be an invasion but Ukraine denied it. 

But overall I wouldn't want his job. And he did stay despite where the Government is being vulnerable to the biggest Russian bombs. 

Suppose if you favour Russia there could be plenty to pick fault with. Same for example with Churchill for UK. 

While Sky news Australia is all it's portrayed as. An unreliable source with countless failed fact checks while promoting risible conspiracy shite. I would be embarrassed to bring such a source into this. It's like asking Alex Jones for his thoughts.

Overall, we rate Sky News Australia Right-Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them borderline Questionable and Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks, unproven claims, and the promotion of conspiracy theories and misinformation. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sky-news-australia/

US Senate ratifies Sweden and Finland joining NATO.

95 for, 1 against (Josh Hawley, because of course it was that tosser).

Rand Paul abstained (no surprises there)

Democrats Patrick Leahy and Jeff Merkley did not vote.

Latvia's gas supply being shut down now. This Russian dance has been rehearsed for decades, cheap energy being the Sprat to catch out the mackerel, Western intelligence has been screwed. Ivan, is not so daft after all.

Ukraine going on the counter offensive in Kherson Oblast. The Russians have put Chechen BTG's behind Russia lines to kill any soldier who retreats. 

46 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ukraine going on the counter offensive in Kherson Oblast. The Russians have put Chechen BTG's behind Russia lines to kill any soldier who retreats. 

Chechens doing Ukraine's job...

If you haven't seen it, Amnesty International's strong criticism of Ukraine (including for putting military in civilian areas) and the response it is getting is interesting.

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If you haven't seen it, Amnesty International's strong criticism of Ukraine (including for putting military in civilian areas) and the response it is getting is interesting.

It was a disgusting piece and now Russia will say that the civilian areas they bomb are actually Ukranian military ,

What's worse is the way they have acted since receiving criticism,  at least the head person for Amnesty in Ukraine resigned . 

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

10 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It was a disgusting piece and now Russia will say that the civilian areas they bomb are actually Ukranian military ,

What's worse is the way they have acted since receiving criticism,  at least the head person for Amnesty in Ukraine resigned . 

Yep, spot on. 

Amnesty international are a disgrace. 

Rather than simply being critical of the Amnesty International Report in regard to Ukrainian dispositions in the conflict, people would do better to read it.  Its not a one sided critique of Ukraine  - its an attempt to provide information about some documented Ukrainian failings in terms of placing mllitary assets in close proximity to civilian buildings such as Hospitals.  Amnesty Int have been quite rightly much more critical of the Russian Federation actions over the course of the War - but it would seem to me that denying Ukrainian failings if they can be demonstrated would in some ways make that side and us in the west just as bad as the Russians. Much better to be honest about it, correct it if possible and therefore maintain the moral high ground.

With all the 'regime change' the Americans are obsessed with aka playing god, its insane they've not managed to find a way to get rid of Putin. 

Edited by OTT

il Duce McTarkin
7 hours ago, OBE said:

Latvia's gas supply being shut down now. This Russian dance has been rehearsed for decades, cheap energy being the Sprat to catch out the mackerel, Western intelligence has been screwed. Ivan, is not so daft after all.

You're conflating Western intelligence with Western political agency. 

The intelligence has been sound. 

jack D and coke
On 01/08/2022 at 20:18, thewiseone said:

It’s a long way back up and out the rabbit hole you’re in mate.

20 hours ago, ScotsAndy said:

Rather than simply being critical of the Amnesty International Report in regard to Ukrainian dispositions in the conflict, people would do better to read it.  Its not a one sided critique of Ukraine  - its an attempt to provide information about some documented Ukrainian failings in terms of placing mllitary assets in close proximity to civilian buildings such as Hospitals.  Amnesty Int have been quite rightly much more critical of the Russian Federation actions over the course of the War - but it would seem to me that denying Ukrainian failings if they can be demonstrated would in some ways make that side and us in the west just as bad as the Russians. Much better to be honest about it, correct it if possible and therefore maintain the moral high ground.

Always tricky defending yourself in a war. Whether there would have been less atrocities if Ukraine had surrendered on Day 1 its unclear. But I can tell you it is very messy defending yourself and you do sometimes put your own people at risk. One of Amnesty International's accusations. 

Like this will make them stop!

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres described recent artillery and rocket fire around the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in central Ukraine as "suicidal," further adding to fears of an accident at the plant, which is the largest of its kind in Europe.

"Any attack on nuclear power plants is a suicidal thing," Guterres told reporters Monday in Tokyo. "I hope that these attacks will end," he said, and called on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to be given access to the plant.

The Zaporizhzhia plant occupies an extensive site on the river Dnipro. It has continued operating at reduced capacity since Russian forces captured it early in March, with Ukrainian technicians remaining at work.

On Sunday, Ukraine's state energy company Energoatom said that one worker was injured by Russian shelling around the plant on Saturday.

Energoatom claimed that three radiation monitoring sensors were also damaged, saying "timely detection and response in case of aggravation of the radiation situation or leakage of radiation from spent nuclear fuel casks are currently impossible."

"This time a nuclear catastrophe was miraculously avoided, but miracles cannot last forever," the company added.

It was the second time in as many days that the plant was hit. Ukraine and Russia have traded blame for both attacks.

The Russian-backed authorities in the nearest city -- Energodar -- claimed that a Ukrainian missile landed within 400 meters of one of the plant's reactors. The city was seized by Russian forces at the same time as the power plant.

"Tonight, the armed formations of Ukraine struck with a Uragan 220 mm rocket missile cluster rocket," the local authority claimed, according to Russian state news agency RIA Novosti.

"Administrative buildings and the adjoining territory of the dry cask storage facility were damaged by the projectiles. It is important to note that the place of impact of warhead shrapnel and the rocket propulsion engine itself is no more than 400 meters from the active reactor," the authorities said.

23 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry Ukraine but helping you is cost me a fortune.

You wanted Russia nuked a month ago for bullying...

Russians trying to hold another one of their wee pretendy referendums in the south of Ukraine, to annex the region around the power plant (the one that Ukraine are trying to recapture).

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

You wanted Russia nuked a month ago for bullying...

It will become a more popular viewpoint when winter comes and full force of price rises are see.

Said it months ago that supporting Ukraine was an easy thing to do but people would change opinions when their pocket hit.

Will require a brave hand on tiller to carry on supporting Ukraine and to be honest, I'm not sure Western leaders are brave enough.

All that does is teach the Russians that they can do whatever they want with no comebacks.

AND it gives them carte blanche to use gas supply as a negotiating weapon in the future.

"No moaning or we turn the gas off again"

Zero guarantee that Russia won't hit energy prices in the pocket at any time they feel like it.

Feck that.

Keep the sanctions pressure up, move all your energy needs away from gas and into something else.

No danger should the west be held to ransom either by the arabs or the russkies.

41 minutes ago, Cade said:

All that does is teach the Russians that they can do whatever they want with no comebacks.

AND it gives them carte blanche to use gas supply as a negotiating weapon in the future.

"No moaning or we turn the gas off again"

Zero guarantee that Russia won't hit energy prices in the pocket at any time they feel like it.

Feck that.

Keep the sanctions pressure up, move all your energy needs away from gas and into something else.

No danger should the west be held to ransom either by the arabs or the russkies.

I think the general public accept the expense of helping Ukraine.

Losing billions through shan PPE contracts however....

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
On 01/08/2022 at 20:18, thewiseone said:

good point re the (general) narrative wisey 👍 plenty learned individuals would agree with that

same learned individuals however reckoned Russia totally goosed economically in fact was the biggest reason why many didn’t believe they would actually invade was due to the inevitable adverse affect on their own country

whats behind the economic strength - anything specific you can share ?

Haven't heard anything about it in weeks.

Media got bored and moved on.

Soon as Boris was getting kicked out the door the media moved on from the war.