Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Without taking it too far off topic : Russia wins through sheer scale of numbers.

Hopefully the Ukrainians have a decent supply of anti tank/ SAM type stuff to make a bit of a fight.

I saw one report from an official Ukranian govt source today claiming a unit of Russians surrendered when they found out they were fighting Ukranians. Which makes you wonder what the Russian cannon fodder think they are fighting (for).

Of course, it could all be bollox. 

The film “Enemy at the Gates” doesn’t portray the Russian leadership in a very good light as far as their treatment of their troops were concerned. Massive loss of life forcing them into suicidal situations.

It wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that the troops being sent into Ukraine have been given a completely made up story about why they are there. They’ve also been pretty much camping out in sub zero temperatures for weeks whilst Putin waited for the Chinese Winter Olympics to end. He didn’t want to cross Xi by taking the spotlight off the show in China.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Vitali Klitschko saying that they asked the Germans to send them supplies, and they sent them 5 thousand helmets.

That’ll be why Kickback has been quieter than usual then. 

Just now, gjcc said:

I was thinking "German helmets ? " , but yours is a belter. :lol:

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

I know this is a serious thread, but i vote that as post of the month

6 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Vitali Klitschko saying that they asked the Germans to send them supplies, and they sent them 5 thousand helmets.

Enjoy the Ukraine mate. 

3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The film “Enemy at the Gates” doesn’t portray the Russian leadership in a very good light as far as their treatment of their troops were concerned. Massive loss of life forcing them into suicidal situations.

It wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that the troops being sent into Ukraine have been given a completely made up story about why they are there. They’ve also been pretty much camping out in sub zero temperatures for weeks whilst Putin waited for the Chinese Winter Olympics to end. He didn’t want to cross Xi by taking the spotlight off the show in China.

WWII was a totally different scenario - the Red Army lacked any kind of (experienced) leadership because Stalin had had them all liquidated in The Terror. He also had the NKVD literally putting guns into the backs of Russian tropps with orders to kill them if they tried to walk away from the front. 

I agree with your other points though - plus this is largely a conscript army and - allegedly- even their Spetznatz guys got a mauling today. 

46 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Isn't Konisberg still Russian, and with a high population from Ukraine too?

Perhaps the west should 'liberate' that for the Ukrainians displaced in all of this.

Aye no problem. 2/3rds of the Russian fleet based there including nuclear subs and 170, 000 military personnel permanently stationed there. piece of piss.

It was for the Japanese at Tsushima with the same fleet, piece of piss.

And who knows what the american warships can do now, they have been quiet.

All roads lead to Gorgie
39 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Are you sure that it wasn't one helmet with 5000 posts on kickback😀

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Cade said:

That's what I don't understand about Russia.

Geographically, it straddles Asia and Europe and everything in between and has ocean and sea borders on most of the world's major waterways.

It has huge amounts of natural resources, both renewable and fossil/raw mined materials.

It's got plenty of land to grow as much food as it wants.

If it just played nice and concentrated on trade and technology and building alliances it'd be a world leader, up there with the USA, EU (and maybe China) not only in terms of economics but in science and culture.

But, for some strange reason, it has always preferred to play the dick.

It pours all of that energy and potential into cyber attacks, interfering in other nation's politics, bullying people with military force, looking inwards, oppressing its own people, cheating at sports and all other kinds of stupid behaviour.

Maybe there's something fundamentally wrong in their collective psyche.

If they just acted like a globalised, normal nation then we'd all be better off, especially Russia.

Peter the Great saw that and tried his best to modernise it even way back in the 1700s. 

He almost single-handedly dragged Russia out of feudal medieval times and into the modern age by sheer force of will.

That has me scratching my head for sure.

2 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I would imagine certain areas and people  might be more apt to contamination than others,as said it has been a fear for security forces for a while.i wouldn't fancy that ready brek glow😁

As I said, it's worth reading the science.  The biggest risk from a "dirty bomb" is the bang.  Once the bang is over and things have cooled down, any radioactivity around would be a fraction of what went down in Chernobyl or Fukushima.

It's odd how nuclear contamination scares have caught the public imagination in the way they have.  People got hysterical over Fukushima and Chernobyl, yet blithely accept millions of premature deaths each year from the burning of fossil fuels.

33 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:
Audio from Snake Island, Black Sea: Russians: This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you’ll be bombed. Ukrainians: Russian warship, go **** yourself. They were all killed

e1f7e5f52369c1d944b47adbb59b9beea0a13596

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Which is why I always  include the Twitter handle of the tweeter. 

He's an experienced reporter in Ukraine btw.

But peeps can draw their own conclusions. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Something Iv seen a lot today is really bad translations of things or people whipping up hysteria by linking videos and words that are not relevant to them. 

The situation IS awful it doesn’t need that to make it awful. Iv seen people saying they have donated to patreons to buy Ukraine weapons whilst also saying in the same post “**** the war” , Sky News presenters saying things like “Chernobyl has been destroyed” then five minutes later talking about how its being targeted because its the shortest route to Kiev from the Belarusian border. Makes me detest social media and news outlets things like that. 

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Which is why I always  include the Twitter handle of the tweeter. 

He's an experienced reporter in Ukraine btw.

But peeps can draw their own conclusions. 

Sort of falls within what I was saying above. You want to believe anything said about this is accurate but its just not how it works sadly then you don’t know what is accurate and whats not. Further to what Id said above there was also a Sky News report and it was quite harrowing where they said we believe this is x or y and believe it was filmed today but we can’t corroborate it. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, sadj said:

Sort of falls within what I was saying above. You want to believe anything said about this is accurate but its just not how it works sadly then you don’t know what is accurate and whats not. Further to what Id said above there was also a Sky News report and it was quite harrowing where they said we believe this is x or y and believe it was filmed today but we can’t corroborate it. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm fairly sure it's kosher , I don't RT for the hell of it. Like I say, people can draw their own conclusions. 

On the  flip side, I saw one guy last night saying he was a Ukranian in London, isolated from his familt etc and tweeting Ukranians -  in English. He has zero followers in Ukraine and had never tweeted anything in Ukranian.

@peterjukes

·

12m

These are the elite VDV troops captured from Hostomel airport. They say they thought they were just on a training exercise

MI6 boss says Russia plans to assassinate Ukraine's leader in 'long, cruel' war

Richard Moore, the boss of the Secret Intelligence Service, has claimed Russian President Vladimir Putin carefully orchestrated the attacks over a long period with 'cruel aggression'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mi6-boss-says-russia-plans-26325007

The head of MI6  has claimed Russia's attack on Ukraine was a "long planned, unprovoked" strategy carried out with "cruel aggression".

Richard Moore tweeted that the invasion have been brewing for many months.

Moore, known in Whitehall as C, says there is no disguising the intent - and says Vladimir Putin carefully orchestrated the attacks, which got underway on Thursday morning.

The MI6 boss tweeted that "US and UK intelligence communities uncovered Putin's plans for Ukraine ".

He said: "We exposed his attempts to engineer 'false flag', fake attacks to justify his invasion. We revealed his plans to assassinate Ukrainian leaders and senior officials

More like Vlad's cabinet is leaking like a sieve.

Kyev is expecting air raids at around 3.00 am local time. 

It’s hard to comprehend the effect of this. From reports it appears around 500+ people have died today. That 500 families dealing with never seeing someone again. When people say things like “send troops in” are they considering that side of things? 

5 hours ago, FWJ said:

No, but we don’t say Moscva , München, Vien, Firenze or Den Haag.

Kiev was derived Russian, Kyiv is derived Ukrainian. 

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Neither are Ukrainian or Russian otherwise they would be written in the Cyrillic alphabet. Ukraine quite recently launched an international campaign to change the name from one anglicised version of the name to another. I am not sure what the point of that was other than to irritate Russia. Or why we all signed up to the new version other than for the same reason. The USA was an early enthusiast for the change.

It's the translation style they mean, not the actual language. Derived from Ukrainian.

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Neither are Ukrainian or Russian otherwise they would be written in the Cyrillic alphabet. Ukraine quite recently launched an international campaign to change the name from one anglicised version of the name to another. I am not sure what the point of that was other than to irritate Russia. Or why we all signed up to the new version other than for the same reason. The USA was an early enthusiast for the change.

Who gives a feck what Russia think. It's Ukrainians Capital city, not Russia's. Call it what you want, I'm sure they won't give a feck. atm. 

27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s hard to comprehend the effect of this. From reports it appears around 500+ people have died today. That 500 families dealing with never seeing someone again. When people say things like “send troops in” are they considering that side of things? 

Reports are that 137 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed over 300 wounded. It was stated on the main U S news channels that if Russian body bags start arriving home the public will turn against this war. Also reports that Russia and China are in conversation. Putin if this does not go well at any stage will be removed from his position, and this life, he'll be killed. He will be the Russian sacrifice to say it was all his doing. Well whatever happens I won't be called up, but if its available to do i'll sign on anyway, can't think of a better way to go. Mebbe even get a post war pension.

Edited by Sharpie

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Well whatever happens I won't be called up, but if its available to do i'll sign on anyway, can't think of a better way to go. Mebbe even get a post war pension.

Chances are there are people in Ukraine right now of a similar age to you, people who saw WW2 pass by, and now this. Makes you wonder how many took up the offer of weapons when it was made. Are millions of the population armed? 

have seen video of grannies accepting and being shown how to use a machine gun. 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who gives a feck what Russia think. It's Ukrainians Capital city, not Russia's. Call it what you want, I'm sure they won't give a feck. atm. 

Not only is it feckin irrelevant but he he's taken a piece from Wiki completely out of context so he can have a go by suggesting it's a USA driven thing - which it is not. 

The whole thing was driven by Ukraine and the USA adopted Ukraine's wishes. 

I think he's toiling as his precious brexit - and the traitors behind it - are now being ripped to pieces. 

10 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Reports are that 137 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed over 300 wounded. It was stated on the main U S news channels that if Russian body bags start arriving home the public will turn against this war. Also reports that Russia and China are in conversation. Putin if this does not go well at any stage will be removed from his position, and this life, he'll be killed. He will be the Russian sacrifice to say it was all his doing. Well whatever happens I won't be called up, but if its available to do i'll sign on anyway, can't think of a better way to go. Mebbe even get a post war pension.

Ukraine govt is reporting around 350 Russian dead but from all the available stuff I've seen today of smashed up tank columns etc , there's  only one clip showing a single Russian  dead soldier - but there have been clips claiming to show mobile crematoria on the back of trucks. 

PS Good luck with the pension. 

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not only is it feckin irrelevant but he he's taken a piece from Wiki completely out of context so he can have a go by suggesting it's a USA driven thing - which it is not. 

The whole thing was driven by Ukraine and the USA adopted Ukraine's wishes. 

I think he's toiling as his precious brexit - and the traitors behind it - are now being ripped to pieces. 

I wonder if he was so upset when Leningrad was renamed or Columbia. :yadayada: 😭  

Some people :D

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I wonder if he was so upset when Leningrad was renamed or Columbia. :yadayada: 😭  

Some people :D

I blocked him months ago , I should know better.

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I blocked him months ago , I should know better.

:facepalm:

I was just saying the same to Terry Henry. :)

Just now, ri Alban said:

Hopefully this is stopped before anymore Ukrainian and Russian people die.

Putin won't back down and Ukraine , so far, is giving the Russians a bit of a doing.

Let's see what happens around Kyiv in the coming days : it all depeneds on whether the Ukranians want this to be their "Stalingrad".  I would say , based on the obvious intel leaks so far, the Russian top brass know this is going to be bloody and don't want to be on the hook for war crimes on their own doorstep.

Off to bed now. 

The only way this would stop now is if Ukraine just went belly up and surrendered. There is no way Putin can back down from this and withdraw. It's not a possibility. If that happened Putin would have been removed. And that seems unlikely, but who knows.

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I'm glad your so eager to sign up... However I'm draft age (if it came to that) and that what scares me the most. If that happens most normal people who are made to fight will probably die. Everyone I know bar parents would have to fight. Iv only just started living for myself... I don't want to die for someone else.

Edited by ScottieMac17

Shooter McGavin
35 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

I'm glad your so eager to sign up... However I'm draft age (if it came to that) and that what scares me the most. If that happens most normal people who are made to fight will probably die. Everyone I know bar parents would have to fight. Iv only just started living for myself... I don't want to die for someone else.

Although I don’t think it would come to that, I have been thinking about what I’d do in that kind of scenario.

And I reckon I’d do jail time before I was drafted. I don’t think I could bring myself to be shipped out to die for the sake of some ego-maniac, whilst being paid peanuts.

kingantti1874
40 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

their kids are shadow boxing trees and fighting bears, our are making tik toc videos and fixing their perms and highlights.. 

to be honest in straight fair scrap I wouldn’t fancy our chances 

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

their kids are shadow boxing trees and fighting bears, our are making tik toc videos and fixing their perms and highlights.. 

to be honest in straight fair scrap I wouldn’t fancy our chances 

I agree that this is the sad truth. Sending our young people to fight would be sending them to die. 

6 hours ago, sadj said:

Something Iv seen a lot today is really bad translations of things or people whipping up hysteria by linking videos and words that are not relevant to them. 

The situation IS awful it doesn’t need that to make it awful. Iv seen people saying they have donated to patreons to buy Ukraine weapons whilst also saying in the same post “**** the war” , Sky News presenters saying things like “Chernobyl has been destroyed” then five minutes later talking about how its being targeted because its the shortest route to Kiev from the Belarusian border. Makes me detest social media and news outlets things like that. 

“ The first casualty, when war comes, is truth. “

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Russia Invades Ukraine