Calum Davidson

Gillsland jack

Gillsland jack

Are there really St Johnstone fans calling for the removal of Calum Davidson from his managers position in Perth, BBC website reporting over the weekend that his jaiket is on a ' Shoogly Peg'...give me a break...this guy won two cups in his first season in management.

It got me thinking if you walked into a pub in Perth on a matchday in 2019 or 2020, then explained to a bunch of saints fans, ok guy's you're going to possibly win the Scottish Cup and the League cup in the same season in 2021, however a few players will be sold to balance the books and there's just a chance you could be relegated or at the very least be battling relegation, what's it to be two cups of which you have only ever won one before SC 2014,  after a wait of around 130 years or the risk of being demoted.

I would wager every man and his dug would choose to go through their current relegation battle,with Calum at the helm,  I remember having similar conversations with my fellow Jambo's after the 5-1 demolition of the wee team  at Hampden Park in 2012, when we got relegated in the years following I remember asking my mates would you swap that cup win to avoid relegation, not a *** chance was the resounding response. 

So does Calum deserve an opportunity to make things right?...maybe a year in the Championship if he doesn't get players in, do his board need to take some of the blame for allowing some of his better players to leave?, if Robbie won two cups in the one season, would we want him gone the next,  if things were not going well?.

loveofthegame

There will never, ever so long as St Johnstone exist be a more successful manager than Callum Davidson. That shouldn't buy him forever, but he should certainly be given longer to fix things and I'd argue strongly that he should get the start of next season too, even if they are relegated.

I'd be very surprised if he is sacked in the next few weeks.

I'll always be grateful to him and St. Johnstone for last season.

Based on that alone he's earned a chance to turn things around. I think they will get their act together to do enough to avoid the drop. Even if it does takes a play off.

Seems unfathomable, but so was Leicester sacking Ranieri after what he did. Problem Davidson has is that he has no experience before last season to point to. The board can easily say he may have just had one great season, or that he did it due to the right combination of players at the time. Maybe there’s a lack of fight and motivation in him now that he’s won everything he could realistically with that club. (Same goes for many of the players) Maybe his and the player’s heads are always thinking about somewhere else? Strange turn around, but you sometimes see it. I remember Blackburn winning the Premier League, and the next season they played in the Champions League but performed terribly in the league (I say terribly, they finished top half still). A huge drop off, despite keeping most of their players and manager that took them to that success the season before.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

10 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

I would deal now for the league Cup & Scottish Cup in the same season with a relegation battle 

Would you take that deal if the fans were not allowed to attend either final? 

Guy was done dirty on deadline day losing both his talisman & his captain to the English Championship within 2 hours late in the day so no time to replace them, was always going to be an uphill battle after that. Deserves till at least mid next season even if they go down to try & rebuild in the summer, they’ll never ever have a season like last year again

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Would you take that deal if the fans were not allowed to attend either final? 

Why not 2 cup's, a good team on the park, Euro qualification in the bag that would represent our most successful season in 40odd years 

5 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Why not 2 cup's, a good team on the park, Euro qualification in the bag that would represent our most successful season in 40odd years 

I suppose my point is maybe the fans don't quite have the same memories if they weren't at the final, but I think he deserves a lot more time to turn things around. 

SectionDJambo

When we won the cup in 1998 we all expected the team to kick on and challenge for the league again. It didn’t happen.

Players started looking for bigger wages, which led to a few leaving or becoming dissatisfied. Their agents probably filling their heads with nonsense. 
I remember either Robinson or Deans saying that Hearts hadn’t made any significant money from the cup winning run due to player bonuses. The relationship between JJ and Robinson and Deans started to deteriorate and we ended up fighting relegation before cash was found to bring in new signings.

The key for Davidson is to maintain his relationship with his board whilst getting his players back onside. He must still have credit with both.

St Johnstone may have benefited greatly from the lack of fans last season, particularly for their cup successes at Ibrox and Hampden. They certainly did us a favour, or 2, in stopping Hibs taking advantage of an unique season.

Guest ToqueJambo

Davidson gave St J fans two days they'd never had before and will probably never have again. St J apparently have a decent amount of money for a. club their size - they brought in a lot in transfer fees by selling a lot of their cup winning team. The least they could do is give Davidson a fair chunk of that money and some more time, even if they get relegated.

Of course there's always the possibility that he's not a very good manager after all, but he did earn the chance to turn things around.

They are in free fall, hoping Dundee are as bad which is unlikely given the run.

tough one as realistically what do they expect given their size?

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

We’d have a cheek commenting, there was a banner wanting Robbie out the day he was appointed 

There was one towed behind a plane when we were third in the league. But it is good to know it's not just our club that has a weird section of fans who think changing the manager every year or so is the secret of success.

They are absolutely dire right now. Couldn't string two passes together against us and basically couldn't get near us. Only going to get worse because they'll lose a couple of players in the summer. 

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

They are absolutely dire right now. Couldn't string two passes together against us and basically couldn't get near us. Only going to get worse because they'll lose a couple of players in the summer. 

Cant blame the manager for it all, the team have to look at themselves, 

58 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

Are there really St Johnstone fans calling for the removal of Calum Davidson from his managers position in Perth, BBC website reporting over the weekend that his jaiket is on a ' Shoogly Peg'...give me a break...this guy won two cups in his first season in management.

It got me thinking if you walked into a pub in Perth on a matchday in 2019 or 2020, then explained to a bunch of saints fans, ok guy's you're going to possibly win the Scottish Cup and the League cup in the same season in 2021, however a few players will be sold to balance the books and there's just a chance you could be relegated or at the very least be battling relegation, what's it to be two cups of which you have only ever won one before SC 2014,  after a wait of around 130 years or the risk of being demoted.

I would wager every man and his dug would choose to go through their current relegation battle,with Calum at the helm,  I remember having similar conversations with my fellow Jambo's after the 5-1 demolition of the wee team  at Hampden Park in 2012, when we got relegated in the years following I remember asking my mates would you swap that cup win to avoid relegation, not a *** chance was the resounding response. 

So does Calum deserve an opportunity to make things right?...maybe a year in the Championship if he doesn't get players in, do his board need to take some of the blame for allowing some of his better players to leave?, if Robbie won two cups in the one season, would we want him gone the next,  if things were not going well?.

Do you seriously believe that if we were in the same position a large percentage of our fans wouldn't be the same? There'd even be planes.

Fwiw I think he deserves the season to turn it around and possibly even into next season even if they get relegated.

BRAVEHEART1874

they prob want kilmarnock sacked tommy wright back, who basically left cuz they were skint at the time though ;)

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

they prob want kilmarnock sacked tommy wright back, who basically left cuz they were skint at the time though ;)

Skint because he’d wasted all the budget and then some on shite 😆

Maybe they were t**ts when we were expelled but they weren’t the biggest. I don’t really mind them, good old established Scottish club.  

Pity their ground’s out-of-town now mind you.

Bazzas right boot

Hope they go down.

They done magnificently well to win two cups, but were still very average in the league. 

Lost a few players now  and have got worse. 

Always been a functional side and imo them winning 2 cups last season just highlights how poor the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs and ourselves were in the cup competitions. 

St Johnstone winning 2 cups tells you more about Scottish footballs quality than the Dominance of the OF. 

They are shite, been nothing but functional and to  win the cup double, although great for them is a beemer  the rest of the bigger clubs as they are shite. They've never been a good team. 

Been found out now,although thankfully they had enough to win the sc. 

Same  for Hamilton Tbh, them staying in the top division for as  long as they did told you more about the quality of our league as opposed to them being a decent side. 

They've also been found out. 

It just goes to show how fragile the position of Football manager is.  I'm sure even the late great Jock Stein was being shuffled 'upstairs' at the end of his 9 in a row spell.  You are literally as good as your last game in the eyes of the pundits.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete U turn there with Tommy Wright back in the dugout!!

I've never had a problem with St Johnstone.

Calum did a very good job but their run of defeats would see most managers getting their jotters.

It's a funny old game, Saint.

15 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Cant blame the manager for it all, the team have to look at themselves, 

Never said it was the managers fault, just that they're shite lol 

His team last year was built on defensive strength rather than any form of attack. Losing two key players to that style and he’s left with what he has now, a team that doesn’t score enough and concedes to many. The blame for that sits at the boards door. They’re going down whether he’s manager or not IMO, so he deserves the chance to rebuild.

13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hope they go down.

They done magnificently well to win two cups, but were still very average in the league

Always been a functional side and imo them winning 2 cups last season just highlights how poor the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs and ourselves were in the cup competitions. 

St Johnstone winning 2 cups tells you more about Scottish footballs quality than the Dominance of the OF. 

They are shite, been nothing but functional and to  win the cup double, although great for them is a beemer  the rest of the bigger clubs as they are shite. They've never been a good team. 

Same  for Hamilton Tbh, them staying in the top division for as  long as they did told you more about the quality of our league as opposed to them being a decent side. 

Average in the league ? They finished 5th - quite an achievement for any wee club.

I think there are a lot of clubs that would trade top flight status for one cup, let alone two. Being an also ran isn’t much fun so a bit of cup success makes it all worth it IMO. 

I think they should stick with him. He might pull off a great escape. Otherwise, back him and let him rebuild over the summer. 

They’ve lost some big players that have been the core of that team for a while. It will take time. 

29 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hope they go down.

They done magnificently well to win two cups, but were still very average in the league. 

You seem to be upset because they won the cups 😏

Rooney's injury and poor form this season hasn't helped as he is a goal threat.  Stevie May looks done and Chris Kane works hard, but doesn't score many.

The fans think Davidson is too rigid in his tactics which aren't working this season and did not like him giving Ally Crawford a deal. He needs a goal scorer before the window closes - however a win against Dundee this Wednesday might change things 😄

Its never ending cycle football, seems like there's even less time these days to reflect on good results or past trophies, its all about the next match.

It seems harsh but can't live in the past, would we persevere with a striker who's scored 0 goals this season because he scored a couple of important ones in past seasons? 

He doesn't strike as the most inspiring bloke in the game, most managers will say its easy when a team is winning, its when they are losing is when the good ones earn their crust.

A_A wehatethehibs

That’s the way it goes. You lose 8 games in a row, last win was October 30th, as a manager you’re staring down the barrel in that situation no matter what club 

St Johnstone would be crazy to let Callum go, he has delivered more in the last two years than most of the past St Johnstone managers would ever of dreamed of in their whole careers.

If they do make that stupid mistake then i suspect Dross will be the next one in. That is if they have the higher salary type person on their minds. No idea where Callum would go next. I though the vermin would of jumped all over that to get him.

Bazzas right boot
54 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You seem to be upset because they won the cups 😏

Nah, they voted to gain a league position. 

Tin pot. 

Bend over to the OF. 

Liam Craig, Wright. 

They can **** off, absolute shower of shite. 

Every one's darlings as well. 

Get doon! 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I think there are a lot of clubs that would trade top flight status for one cup, let alone two. Being an also ran isn’t much fun so a bit of cup success makes it all worth it IMO. 

I think they should stick with him. He might pull off a great escape. Otherwise, back him and let him rebuild over the summer. 

They’ve lost some big players that have been the core of that team for a while. It will take time. 

Clubs wouldn't, fans would. 

Relegation can absolutely wreck some clubs for the next 2 or 3 generations. 

St Johnstone giving their fan base could definitely fall into that category. 

Cups require luck and unless you win them regularly not much stock is put into them In Terms of measuring the success of a manager. 

For example, Doddie waa on of our best managers, ever but win nothing. 

Fans love it tho , especially if starved of cups for a long period. 

A double cup win is phenomenal for them but imo highlights massive failures of other clubs.. Thankfully in some cases. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Average in the league ? They finished 5th - quite an achievement for any wee club.

Aye well, they are 12th now. 

Get 👇, tin pot shower of shite that they are. 

Clubs will gamble on replacing a manager if he continually loses games. That’s ten in a row now. Needs to turn it around really quickly if he wants to stay in a job. Talk of giving him next season in the championship is all quite sensible, given what he has achieved but it just won’t happen imo. The dice will be rolled soon if things don’t improve. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hope they go down.

I've never understood this.

People moan Scottish football is uncompetitive.

Then moan when a different club wins cups.

Likewise with Hamilton. If they were able to stay in the Premiership with tiny resources compared to others good luck to them.

The alternative is a return to 10,000 seat requirements or a franchise system to ensure the "right" clubs are in the top league. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

I've never understood this.

People moan Scottish football is uncompetitive.

Then moan when a different club wins cups.

Likewise with Hamilton. If they were able to stay in the Premiership with tiny resources compared to others good luck to them.

The alternative is a return to 10,000 seat requirements or a franchise system to ensure the "right" clubs are in the top league. 

Or make the league bigger. 

If they played good football I'd agree. 

They've been effective for a good number of years now, hats of to them but they are shite. 

Wright had them as a unit and a team, fair enough but they were horrible to watch. 

Found out now, hopefully Partick or the likes replace them. 

Hamilton are a pub team, in fact I'd rather have a team like AT in their place. 

We'll done for their cup wins  and Tbh they might still stay up, Dundee are shite and they can gtf as well. 

20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye well, they are 12th now. 

Get 👇, tin pot shower of shite that they are. 

We will need to bring sides up to balance off the amount we want out of the league, your comment hits at a bigger picture. Who replaces the sides deemed not good enough, we need a top league of 18 teams with a B League below it. Then we can have an 18 club Championship with two football leagues backing it up. keep the pyramid system as it works, Hybrid it though.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Or make the league bigger. 

If they played good football I'd agree. 

They've been effective for a good number of years now, hats of to them but they are shite. 

Wright had them as a unit and a team, fair enough but they were horrible to watch. 

Found out now, hopefully Partick or the likes replace them. 

Hamilton are a pub team, in fact I'd rather have a team like AT in their place. 

We'll done for their cup wins  and Tbh they might still stay up, Dundee are shite and they can gtf as well. 

I'm not disputing both could be horrible to watch but they were consistently beating teams they really shouldn't. 

I've never been a fan of bigger leagues and if anything it increases the chances of having the likes of Hamilton in the league. 

I'd like to see Partick back up too.

It would be interesting to see Arbroath have a cracking though.