Skylight - Condensation

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Looking for some advice, we have a skylight at the top of our (internal) staircase, it is a single pane of glass and it is attracting a lot of condensation which runs down and drips onto the staircase (we have a vent which was supposed to alleviate this) but it's not been too successful.

We've been quoted circa £300 to replace the singe pane glass with a double glazed pane...my question is...If I fitted a sheet of !/4" Perspex before the glass internally would this resolve this issue?

3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Looking for some advice, we have a skylight at the top of our (internal) staircase, it is a single pane of glass and it is attracting a lot of condensation which runs down and drips onto the staircase (we have a vent which was supposed to alleviate this) but it's not been too successful.

We've been quoted circa £300 to replace the singe pane glass with a double glazed pane...my question is...If I fitted a sheet of !/4" Perspex before the glass internally would this resolve this issue?

The Perspex may not resolve the issue but it will help. It will reduce the warm air from inside hitting the cold glass which is causing the condensation.

Konrad von Carstein
7 hours ago, obua said:

The Perspex may not resolve the issue but it will help. It will reduce the warm air from inside hitting the cold glass which is causing the condensation.

Thanks....will do a wee bit more research,  sounds promising.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Strip it out and Slate/Tile it in. Is the ceiling vented ? 

Not an option,  yeah there is a vent.

13 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

A tough one to solve and I doubt swapping to a double glazed unit will make any difference. Perspex might help as said above but could also just hide the issue until it does some real damage. Does that area get a lot of heat ? Assuming you want to keep the window for light you may want look at getting a light/sun tunnel or solar velux fitted. Velux option will give you option to open the window for natural ventilation. 

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

A tough one to solve and I doubt swapping to a double glazed unit will make any difference. Perspex might help as said above but could also just hide the issue until it does some real damage. Does that area get a lot of heat ? Assuming you want to keep the window for light you may want look at getting a light/sun tunnel or solar velux fitted. Velux option will give you option to open the window for natural ventilation. 

It is at the top of the stairs and in a recess,  the ceiling is level then there is a rectangular section that joins the slope of the roof capped by the skylight. (hope that makes sense)

Way to high for an openable window to be practical.

May need to look into velux but probably be too expensive

:(

6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks....will do a wee bit more research,  sounds promising.

Not an option,  yeah there is a vent.

1 vent? Never enough. 

2 at the top, 2 at the bottom.

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

It is at the top of the stairs and in a recess,  the ceiling is level then there is a rectangular section that joins the slope of the roof capped by the skylight. (hope that makes sense)

Way to high for an openable window to be practical.

May need to look into velux but probably be too expensive

You can get an electric velux window that can open with a remote control,so height wouldn’t be an issue. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, obua said:

You can get an electric velux window that can open with a remote control,so height wouldn’t be an issue. 

Am hinkin that alone would cost more than the £300 I've been quoted to fit a double glazed unit...

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Am hinkin that alone would cost more than the £300 I've been quoted to fit a double glazed unit...

Double easily but fitting the double glazed unit won’t solve it imo. How big roughly is the window ? 

dozy dick the dooman

A quite regular mistake on roof windows is the the sealing up the bottom of the panes with silicon or putty. This stops the condensation from escaping out on to the roof,  so look at this detail before you go spending any money   ,   just take an ordinary kitchen knive  and slide it in between the glass and tbe flashing a d clear out any debris or blockages   just be areful  that you don't push the tingles which hold the panes in they will be copper or lead    thus creating an air flow the draft will be negligible    I assume you  will be  doing it from the inside  although if you can get at it from the outside it would be a bit easier to see  if it has been sealed all the way across  the bottom    hope you understand what I'm trying to put across here 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Double easily but fitting the double glazed unit won’t solve it imo. How big roughly is the window ? 

It's awkward to get to and without getting up a 3M ladder 😳 to take sizes , I estimate 1M x 1.4M.

A sheet of 6mm perspex is roughly £60 to £80.

13 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

It's awkward to get to and without getting up a 3M ladder 😳 to take sizes , I estimate 1M x 1.4M.

Unsure about the perspex option. The reason condensation doesn't form in doube-glazing is the seal and inert gass between the layers. Once that seal is gone, the gas is too and condensation will develop. 

You may find perspex only works as a temporary fix...

dozy dick the dooman

Twinwall at Easter  Road plasticS would  possibly work but it has to be fixed as  the updraft when the outside door is open can rattle it about   and you'll  be amazed at how  much crap gets in there so you  need to able to take it down for cleaning  twinwall sheets come in 8x4 foot sheets x half inch     never get used to metric sizes  old school slater  now retired 

12 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Cheap option could be twin ploycarbonated sheet internally at ceiling level. Only issue with that is it still leaves you with an old skylight which will be prone to leak issues and that sheet may hide this. A cheap initial alternative to replacement though. Replacing the glass only still leaves you with a old skylight and you are £300 down.