Tommy Sloan.

Section Q

Kind words from Sloan after a 0-5 hiding. A legend in junior football. 7 Junior Scottish Cups won, and around 20 years associated with Auchinleck.

When he eventually leaves Talbot, it would be nice if we played in his testimonial.

"They showed us respect with the team they put out but I was a bit gutted about that! Fair play to Robbie, he came down to watch us last week, so he's not taken any chances – I knew we'd be up against it.”

"There's a big gulf. We were playing against top-class players, and it showed. I was disappointed we got beat 5-0 and not one of my players got booked. I'd rather we were a wee bit more aggressive."

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-strength-showed-auchinleck-respect-says-talbot-boss-tommy-sloan-3537934

Tom Hardy’s Dug

JJ’s half time team talk in the 6-2 game at Easter Road included some “hairdryer” management that criticised the players for being behind in a derby and none of them had been booked. I think it was 2-1 at that point…(?)

It clearly didn’t work but the point remains…

SectionDJambo

We were never going to be complacent after Brora.

Very professional performance in darkest Ayrshire. 
Good fun being back in a 60s/70s timewarp. It fair took me back.

9 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Was a bit surprised they didn't try to kick the **** out of us. Hopefully we got through that with zero injuries.

Strange stuff indeed. And 3 Celtic players hobbled off at Alloa which might benefit us next week.

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Strange stuff indeed. And 3 Celtic players hobbled off at Alloa which might benefit us next week.

😲

Interesting.

Wouldn't be too mad if their new Japanese striker was one of them. He looked dangerous.

12 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Was a bit surprised they didn't try to kick the **** out of us. Hopefully we got through that with zero injuries.

Men against boys. Simply, they couldn't get near us.

All credit to Auchinleck, who went out and at least tried to play football, instead of just kicking lumps out of us and collecting yellow cards like Pokémon trading cards. 

It's even more impressive they didn't get any bookings, and actually only committed one more foul than we did, even though we had about 70% possession.   We all thought it was going to be a huddy-esque "boot em in the air" affair, but it wasn't. 

It was one of those proper Scottish Cup ties. Hopefully the money they get from being the TV fixture and a full house sees them alright for a while. 

That being said, we've played them 3 times in the cup in the past decade. Enough is enough :lol:

Thought Auchinleck were poor but that was more down to how good we were. Was 5-0 but with decent officiating it would've been 7' potentially 8. Hopefully we can play like that against a team like Dundee and absolutely scud them

Anyone know if there is any relationship between that Tommy Sloan and the Tommy Sloan who played outside-right for Hearts in the early 1950s?

15 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

😲

Interesting.

Wouldn't be too mad if their new Japanese striker was one of them. He looked dangerous.

McGregor Abada Ideguchi

Edited by JimmyCant

5 minutes ago, Steak said:

Thought Auchinleck were poor but that was more down to how good we were. Was 5-0 but with decent officiating it would've been 7' potentially 8. Hopefully we can play like that against a team like Dundee and absolutely scud them

Our passing was just too quick and slick for them. Even on their best day with better tactics to try and stop us they’d be no match for us playing that type of football. Not many teams in Scotland could have lived with us today and we rested for nearly half an hour during the game too

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Our passing was just too quick and slick for them. Even on their best day with better tactics to try and stop us they’d be no match for us playing that type of football. Not many teams in Scotland could have lived with us today and we rested for nearly half an hour during the game too

Don't think many teams in Scotland would have got close to us today. 

Best I've seen us in a long time

5 hours ago, Steak said:

Thought Auchinleck were poor but that was more down to how good we were. Was 5-0 but with decent officiating it would've been 7' potentially 8. Hopefully we can play like that against a team like Hibs and absolutely scud them

Fixed. 😉

A_A wehatethehibs

His players couldn’t get close enough to get booked. We were at the top of our game and the system we play is not something these clubs have encountered. The performance of our players gives the Auchinleck boys something to aspire to, quality football, all the best to them in their promotion campaign

7 hours ago, tian447 said:

All credit to Auchinleck, who went out and at least tried to play football, instead of just kicking lumps out of us and collecting yellow cards like Pokémon trading cards. 

It's even more impressive they didn't get any bookings, and actually only committed one more foul than we did, even though we had about 70% possession.   We all thought it was going to be a huddy-esque "boot em in the air" affair, but it wasn't. 

It was one of those proper Scottish Cup ties. Hopefully the money they get from being the TV fixture and a full house sees them alright for a while. 

That being said, we've played them 3 times in the cup in the past decade. Enough is enough :lol:

It's interesting/strange that in this world of safe working environments, treating colleagues with greater respect and a shift away from bullying/aggressive behaviour being accepted in the workplace that the romance of these type of cup ties still includes an element of getting stuck in and ruffling up the players of a higher standard. 

A few of the Celtic players suffered really serious injuries yesterday, quite probably due to the aggressive approach taken by their apponents.  These tackles/resulting injuries could end careers and impact individuals for the rest of their lives. Surely in this day and age this approach needs to be removed from our footballing culture? 

I once played a game one in Sunday league football and the defender who was marking me spent the entire game stamping on my feet even when the ball was at the other end of the pitch, their whole team were up to the same rubbish. I'd turned up for a game of football he'd turned up for a fight. 

7 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Men against boys. Simply, they couldn't get near us.

Reminded me of the time Spurs destroyed us in the 1st leg in Europe at tynecastle. They were physically bigger, stronger and so much fitter than us. Literally men against boys that day too. Glad we were the ones dishing it out this time!

Glamorgan Jambo

It’s hard to tell watching on TV but the pitch looked very decent. Much better than the artificial pitches and even some of the grass pitches we played on last season in the championship.

9 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

It’s hard to tell watching on TV but the pitch looked very decent. Much better than the artificial pitches and even some of the grass pitches we played on last season in the championship.

It was in good nick and a lot better than Easter Rd looked on Thurs night,Auchinleck had spent a lot of effort getting it in good condition.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, bigdav said:

It was in good nick and a lot better than Easter Rd looked on Thurs night,Auchinleck had spent a lot of effort getting it in good condition.

It looked better than ours did a year or two after we relaid it. 

What impressed me was how much space we created on a tight pitch (though I am not sure it was all that much tighter than Tynie).

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Robbie doing his homework like any good manager should and taking no chances.

Its good to see. Brora was a bad result and its the sort of professional approach to any and all opposition that you want to see. 

I don't know if he went to watch Brora etc. but regardless, its good to see. 

I'm really happy to see how wrong I was about Robbie. He's really turned things round and not only that but we're playing some really nice football - lots of accurate fast passing. Obviously room for improvement in actually converting chances (against better opposition) but we're on the right road. 

1 hour ago, DalryJambo said:

It's interesting/strange that in this world of safe working environments, treating colleagues with greater respect and a shift away from bullying/aggressive behaviour being accepted in the workplace that the romance of these type of cup ties still includes an element of getting stuck in and ruffling up the players of a higher standard. 

A few of the Celtic players suffered really serious injuries yesterday, quite probably due to the aggressive approach taken by their apponents.  These tackles/resulting injuries could end careers and impact individuals for the rest of their lives. Surely in this day and age this approach needs to be removed from our footballing culture? 

I once played a game one in Sunday league football and the defender who was marking me spent the entire game stamping on my feet even when the ball was at the other end of the pitch, their whole team were up to the same rubbish. I'd turned up for a game of football he'd turned up for a fight. 

WTF, seriously WTF.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Anyone know if there is any relationship between that Tommy Sloan and the Tommy Sloan who played outside-right for Hearts in the early 1950s?

When I first saw the thread I thought it was about him.

Tommy "Tucker" Sloan was a cracking wee player. Me and my dad used to go down to Stranraer every week they played at home, he is a legend down there.

They probably got back in the dressing room wondering what day it was.  Their centre forward deserves a medal for the amount of aimless running and standing about he did.  He was probably bored to tears.

37 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It looked better than ours did a year or two after we relaid it. 

What impressed me was how much space we created on a tight pitch (though I am not sure it was all that much tighter than Tynie).

Significantly tighter than Tynecastle.

1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Robbie said pre match that the AT assistant coach said the pitch was laid thanks to Hearts. (Previous SC tie at Tynie) £££

Edited by ShedBoy

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Significantly tighter than Tynecastle.

I was looking for the dimensions but couldn't find them anywhere.

Maroon Sailor
34 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its good to see. Brora was a bad result and its the sort of professional approach to any and all opposition that you want to see. 

I don't know if he went to watch Brora etc. but regardless, its good to see. 

I'm really happy to see how wrong I was about Robbie. He's really turned things round and not only that but we're playing some really nice football - lots of accurate fast passing. Obviously room for improvement in actually converting chances (against better opposition) but we're on the right road. 

Don't think he had a chance to watch Brora. It was their first game in a while and not sure they played after the draw was made.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I was looking for the dimensions but couldn't find them anywhere.

:lol: I couldn't find them either. I'm basing it completely on looking at it.

fabienleclerq
17 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Think Jack Ross or Thompson said it's even tighter than Tynecastle 

15 minutes ago, briever said:

Some folk will only be happy when fitba has no contact.

No where did I say there should be no contact.  Fair tackles within the laws of the game are part of the game.  As are aerial dules, use of upper body strength etc.  I also accept there is a risk of getting impact injuries to your legs and head during these tackles. The authorities are actively trying to reduce these types of injuries however through tightening of the rules to protect players careers and long term health. ie outlawing two footed chalangrs and ensuring players are in control of their movements during tackles ie not leaving the ground and jumping into tackles. 

What I'm suggesting is that this culture of roughing up opponents, typically of a better standard or more skillful skill set shouldn't be romanticised and accepted as part of the game. It limits the progression of better players at the younger age groups and ultimately keeps Scottish/British football in the dark ages. 

11 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

JJ’s half time team talk in the 6-2 game at Easter Road included some “hairdryer” management that criticised the players for being behind in a derby and none of them had been booked. I think it was 2-1 at that point…(?)

It clearly didn’t work but the point remains…

Christ. Surely to **** no posting anything was a better option than posting that? 

3 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

You do realise that football is a physical CONTACT sport and that player get injured by the cleanest possible tackles?!?!

As for Celtic players getting injured....good, wish it was more of them.

1 hour ago, DalryJambo said:

No where did I say there should be no contact.  Fair tackles within the laws of the game are part of the game.  As are aerial dules, use of upper body strength etc.  I also accept there is a risk of getting impact injuries to your legs and head during these tackles. The authorities are actively trying to reduce these types of injuries however through tightening of the rules to protect players careers and long term health. ie outlawing two footed chalangrs and ensuring players are in control of their movements during tackles ie not leaving the ground and jumping into tackles. 

What I'm suggesting is that this culture of roughing up opponents, typically of a better standard or more skillful skill set shouldn't be romanticised and accepted as part of the game. It limits the progression of better players at the younger age groups and ultimately keeps Scottish/British football in the dark ages. 

Sir, I give you ex-Celtic captain, Scott Brown.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Think Jack Ross or Thompson said it's even tighter than Tynecastle 

I was only looking on TV and the only dimension I saw really was (from  the camera angle) from the touchline to the edge pf the box. Not much room but then there isn't a lot at Tynie. (Benefitted Robbie's legendary (if rarely effective) throw-ins.) 

Always been a bit sceptical about claims of a "tight pitch"  since the aforementioned  Spurs game. In the build up there was quite a bit of chat about how Spurs would cope with our tight pitch. They did, about as well as we did yesterday. But when checking, the Spurs  pitch at the time was the same length as Tynie and only 3m wider - less than a couple of strides wider each side.

peebles jambo
3 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Reminded me of the time Spurs destroyed us in the 1st leg in Europe at tynecastle. They were physically bigger, stronger and so much fitter than us. Literally men against boys that day too. Glad we were the ones dishing it out this time!

I was at that game, bad getting beat but Spurs were a joy to watch

2 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

McGregor was involved in an accidental clash of heads. Guchi (as he wants to be called) shat out a challenge when the Alloa player went full tilt. Peter effing Grant saying that was an automatic red is laughable. Richard Foster called it right. If they both go in 100% he might land on his arse but he held back and suffered the consequences. 
I can’t recall their other injury.

12 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Tommy Sloan, one of the players who left Hearts after Tommy Walker took over as manager finished his career coaching in his native Barrhead in 1960. 

Auchinleck's Tommy Sloan was born in Irvine in 1964. 

Need the geologists on the case to confirm for definite. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Tommy Sloan, one of the players who left Hearts after Tommy Walker took over as manager finished his career coaching in his native Barrhead in 1960. 

Auchinleck's Tommy Sloan was born in Irvine in 1964. 

Need the geologists on the case to confirm for definite. 

Looks likely.  We probably need an Auchinleck fan to confirm.

Tommy Sloan was replaced at Hearts by Jim Souness who, in turn, was replaced by Alec Young.

Souness was an interesting man as he was also a very good cricketer and played for Scotland.  He was killed in a climbing accident in the Alps.

3 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

We are not talking about kids fitba though - there absolutely should always be a place in the game for the less technically gifted of players/teams to use their gifts to disrupt the opposition within the laws of the game.

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

McGregor was involved in an accidental clash of heads. Guchi (as he wants to be called) shat out a challenge when the Alloa player went full tilt. Peter effing Grant saying that was an automatic red is laughable. Richard Foster called it right. If they both go in 100% he might land on his arse but he held back and suffered the consequences. 
I can’t recall their other injury.

The ******s Sellick are signing need to toughen up, he absolutely bottled the challenge and suffered because of it.

13 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

We were never going to be complacent after Brora.

Very professional performance in darkest Ayrshire. 
Good fun being back in a 60s/70s timewarp. It fair took me back.

It might also have had something to do with the fact that the majority of the team yesterday were not involved in the Brora game.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Looks likely.  We probably need an Auchinleck fan to confirm.

Tommy Sloan was replaced at Hearts by Jim Souness who, in turn, was replaced by Alec Young.

Souness was an interesting man as he was also a very good cricketer and played for Scotland.  He was killed in a climbing accident in the Alps.

I caddied for Jim Souness at a golf event at Royal Burgess when I was quite young.  Seemed a nice chap.  Sad to learn that though.

7 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

Football obviously not your forte.

Absolutely nothing wrong with aggression in a football match. Alloa may have been aggressive but their tackles weren't bad. Just Celtic's fault that some of their players are made of straw.

4 hours ago, peebles jambo said:

I was at that game, bad getting beat but Spurs were a joy to watch

was a good game to be at in that we got to see a good footballing team, sh1te from a hearts result point of view though.

incidentally, I have a match ball from that game 😁