Devlin. Haring & Baningime in the same team

The Mercer Takeover

The Mercer Takeover

When these guys are all fit, can we really afford to drop any of them?

Haring is pretty much back to his best now, so not sure he deserves to be dropped any time soon. Should we play him as centre half for a while to accommodate Baningime?

Edited by The Mercer Takeover

best in the land

Not all 3 for me unless haring covers one of the back 3.

I'd keep cammy and haring and rotate. 

Good to have the option and keeps them on their toes. 

All 3 important and really hope haring signs an extension soon. 

I like a Peter but I actually think he’s not the way forward for us. Not the way in the team is evolving. 

Beni and Dev are picked before him and he needs either or beside him when he plays , but not on a 3.  

The Ross County 2nd half at home on Boxing Day showed how much we miss players that can cover ground quicker, press quicker.  He’s good when slotted in wisely. 

Edited by Debut 4

loveofthegame

Haring extension surely being offered, a superb player who adds a huge amount to the squad. 

3-5-2 with those 3 as the midfield 3 is pretty defensive, wouldn’t mind seeing it at Ibrox or Parkhead but that’s about it. They’ll get injuries and suspensions though, as we’ve seen with all 3 so far this season, so it’s good to have more than 2 decent CMs.

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Haring drop back into CB.. a better footballer than JS and a centre back before he arrived 

Which has always puzzled me when we needed cover at CH🤷🏼‍♂️

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Haring to stay in the team and Beni needs to earn his spot back. Seems unfair to drop someone in such good form.

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Haring to stay in the team and Beni needs to earn his spot back. Seems unfair to drop someone in such good form.

Would agree in principal but he only got back in because Beni got injured.  It’s a poser for Neilson. 

Nah no reason to change the shape plus it’s a little too defensive. If we went with 3 in midfield I’d switch one of them out for mceneff

I am going to commit heresy here but I am not that impressed with Devlin - sure he's a wee dynamo but technically he's not that great, gets a nosebleed with the goal in sight and has perfected this technique of inviting fouls on himself that gets ignored by refs 60% of time.  Yes he runs about daft and breaks things up, but he's not got a great deal of creativity and that is probably what we need the most in our midfield.

Haring and Beni for me.

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Haring isn’t quick enough to play centre back.

Which kind of reinforces my point about midfield.  He could cover at CH.  the way the game is played nowadays with defenders getting more time on the ball, it would suit him. 

Good squads have options. It’s an option. If you had Atkinson / Cochrane bombing on in a back four, thats potentially one way it works but no reason to change the formation. Keep them all fresh and rotate.

Tennant's  6's
22 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

wouldnt be much goals in that midfield id stick with Devlin and Haring until one drops form then Beni comes in

Yeah, no need to try to play all three.

We're building a very good squad here, just what we need if we want European football every season.

The depth & competition for places helps rangers & celtic big time. 

Adding quality, allied with hopefully some youngsters coming into the squad,  then things are looking good for the remainder of the season & going into the next. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Would agree in principal but he only got back in because Beni got injured.  It’s a poser for Neilson. 

Of course but its a luxury we haven't had in previous years where we've been desperate to get key players back in. Despite Beni being one of our best players this season, we haven't missed him that much because of how good Pete has been. Nice to be able to not rush players back in and risk re-injury.

15 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I like a Peter but I actually think he’s not the way forward for us. Not the way in the team is evolving. 

Beni and Dev are picked before him and he needs either or beside him when he plays , but not on a 3.  

The Ross County 2nd half at home on Boxing Day showed how much we miss players that can cover ground quicker, press quicker.  He’s good when slotted in wisely. 

Pretty much how I see it too.

Probably why we aren't far down the line with new contract talks (for haring)

We will want to keep him but on the assumption Beni comes back and fit I think they'll sit down at end of season with PH and explain he might not be an automatic pick.

More of a squad player, albeit a very good one. And that shows we are taking steps in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Of course but its a luxury we haven't had in previous years where we've been desperate to get key players back in. Despite Beni being one of our best players this season, we haven't missed him that much because of how good Pete has been. Nice to be able to not rush players back in and risk re-injury.

👍🏻

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Pretty much how I see it too.

Probably why we aren't far down the line with new contract talks (for haring)

We will want to keep him but on the assumption Beni comes back and fit I think they'll sit down at end of season with PH and explain he might not be an automatic pick.

More of a squad player, albeit a very good one. And that shows we are taking steps in the right direction.

👍🏻

Captain Lithuania
11 minutes ago, briever said:

I am going to commit heresy here but I am not that impressed with Devlin - sure he's a wee dynamo but technically he's not that great, gets a nosebleed with the goal in sight and has perfected this technique of inviting fouls on himself that gets ignored by refs 60% of time.  Yes he runs about daft and breaks things up, but he's not got a great deal of creativity and that is probably what we need the most in our midfield.

Haring and Beni for me.

Fully agree with you. He’s not good on the ball, gets caught out and loses the ball. Happened a couple of times today. Can’t pass forward and for goodness sake do not ask him to shoot!

I think he’s good out of possession but realistically in most of our games we should be having most of the ball. The weakest of the three for me.

Despite that I like him but he’s not as good as everyone would have you believe. 

Captain Lithuania

I also actually think all three could work. Haring is quite good going forward, a good passer of the ball. Capable of playing a defence splitting pass. Hopefully McKay can remain consistent and keep creating chances too. 

38 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Haring is pretty much back to his best now, so not sure he deserves to be dropped any time soon. Should we play him as centre half for a while to accommodate Baningime?

25 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Haring extension surely being offered, a superb player who adds a huge amount to the squad. 

3-5-2 with those 3 as the midfield 3 is pretty defensive, wouldn’t mind seeing it at Ibrox or Parkhead but that’s about it. They’ll get injuries and suspensions though, as we’ve seen with all 3 so far this season, so it’s good to have more than 2 decent CMs.

Not sure about ch for PH but it's a great problem to have. I think Beni and Cammy should always start but Haring playing in front of them instead of GMS might be an option. I don't think Robbie will go to a back 4 to accommodate an extra midfielder except maybe late in a game that wea r losing.

Beni and devlin have to play when fit for me, haring has done well but think a few are forgetting how good Beni was before he got injured

3 minutes ago, Gary Locke said:

Beni and devlin have to play when fit for me, haring has done well but think a few are forgetting how good Beni was before he got injured

Not sure I can see either of them scoring a goal like Haring did today

Keep all 3 and play 2 of them. The same 2 won’t play every week. All three of them could potentially play 20+ games in a season. 

Also how good is it to have this problem? 

Baningime, Devlin, Haring 🔥

or 

Doyle-Hayes, Newell, Campbell 😂

Edited by DS98

Just now, moonraker said:

Not sure I can see either of them scoring a goal like Haring did today

I think we have been a better team since haring has came in than we were before. Has really started to come together and we are playing well. Not just dragging out results, we are dominant and deserving to win games. That's a lot to do with our midfield and we would be mad to change that, need to see what we are like with Beni and haring  and try get a solution to which one works best. Who makes the team play better. 

I know 343 is Robbies preferred formation but based on who we have, can't help but think our strength is in midfield - Devlin, Beni, Haring - all among the best defensive mids in the league, plus McEneff as a more attacking option, so if we're looking to clog up the middle of the park and make it difficult you can go for the first 3 and if a bit more attacking then bring on McEneff.

Would like to see it, but a lot of it comes down to how Halkett can play in a back 4. 

20 minutes ago, sac said:

Wee Dev can improve, a rough diamond for sure but does seem to play better along side Beni.

I think the outlook is to keep moving forward.  It’s not just about making sure we beat the St Mirren’s and Motherwell’s, it’s about level of performance , consistency and edging closer to the Old Firm as best we can. 

That comes with better players with better athleticism and ability. A mate of mine who’s been unfortunate to miss a lot of games this season made the St Johnstone match. He’d only seen us on tv otherwise on occasion. 

He was hugely impressed by Devlin and for a normally regular fan who’s missed a lot this year, he added he felt Beni was marginally better by tv evidence.  I think most would agree on that. 

We can be happy with guys like Haring as squad players but I don’t feel he can exert himself when required to give more. He’s sometimes found to be stretched in more intense matches that require more effort to get up and down the park.  He’s fine receiving the ball in our own third and playing from there but he’s not got the legs to quickly transition from there to a more advanced position, imo.   As a club when looking at our squad, we’ve got to look beyond players just doing a job.  We’ve got look at the things that will improve us.  

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

We need a runner/Colin Cameron type between Devlin and Beni. I like big Pete but I think it’s 2 from 3 from him, Beni and Devlin 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Haring first pick for me out the 3. They are all good players and we need the depth. 

Baningime can make three opposition players run in the wrong direction with just a drop of the shoulder. He also seems to win every tackle he goes for.

Devlin has a great attitude and also wins a lot of challenges.

Haring is getting very close to being back to his best.

If we’re playing two of the three I’d go Haring and Baningime. Both can shield and tackle, but Haring seems to have an eye for facing forward and can pick a pass. He can also provide a threat at set pieces.

A nice problem to have.

2 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Haring first pick for me out the 3. They are all good players and we need the depth. 

Fair enough, bud.  Not for me though.  Haring beside Smith v Ross County on Boxing Day (2nd half).showed how much we missed Dev and Beni.  

These situations will happen over a season where key players are missed and we need to try and be ready for it.  Haring needs legs beside him. 

We're always going to play 3-4-3 imo so no space for all three. However, we need three quality CM's. If fit and available I'd start Haring and Beni. Haring isn't the quickest but he reads the game exceptionally well and he can pass. Plus he gives us a height in midfield and in both boxes. 

I think Beni and Dev for the few games we are really up against it (Rangers and Celtic). 
everyone else, I think we need to put more players on the park who will score/make goals.  Neither of them contribute enough in that area.  Haring gives more for that. But  great we have three top class centre mids to choose from. I think McEneff falls closer to Haring. More mobile but marginally less skilled. (Make that 4 top centre mids) 

Baningime should be first pick because he's easily a better footballer of the 3. Haring is close to being back to his best and is always likely to pop up with a goal. Devlin is a fantastic player to have in the midfield because he doesn't give opposition players a minutes peace.

Tough decision for Robbie but one he should be delighted to have. 

I love Cammy Devlin, he has a great attitude and is exactly what I want to see from a player who pulls on the maroon jersey, but for balance the pick would probably need to be Haring and Beni. 

Like someone said - I don't think we'd ever see Beni or Devlin strike a ball the way Haring did today.

Haring is holding the jersey for me at present . I find Beni and Devlin to similar and were we not drawing regularly when they start together?

if it’s not broken don’t fix it but great position to be in plenty descent players battling for a jersey 

No need for consternation, it's fantastic that we now have 3 high class central midfielders. Allows us to rotate them through depending on the opposition, home/away, cup games, player fitness etc. 

A good problem to have.

Look on the bright side and Beni doesn't have to be rushed back. Great to have this cover. Haring Beni Devlin could be a defensive midfield in Euro away games and at OF matches. Hope all three of them are here for a while.

1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

Baningime should be first pick because he's easily a better footballer of the 3. Haring is close to being back to his best and is always likely to pop up with a goal. Devlin is a fantastic player to have in the midfield because he doesn't give opposition players a minutes peace.

Tough decision for Robbie but one he should be delighted to have. 

I love Cammy Devlin, he has a great attitude and is exactly what I want to see from a player who pulls on the maroon jersey, but for balance the pick would probably need to be Haring and Beni. 

Like someone said - I don't think we'd ever see Beni or Devlin strike a ball the way Haring did today.

Agree. A player like Devlin does so much work that isn’t noticed in the rough and tumble of a game. 

Beni is a class footballer . A wee bit lightweight in a 2 IMO though

Haring has a bit of everything and he can also score which the other two don’t do. I really hope we keep him

Mcaneff is also a very tidy footballer. I’m willing him to be happy enough as a squad player because he is very good

It’s an area we are very strong in with loads of options and pairings to the extent we can rotate if we need to without much drop off in quality