Meat Loaf

Marvin

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Michael Lee Aday was his name at birth

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Marvin Lee Aday was his name when he was born.

He changed it to Michael in the early 80s.

This was the source of my confusion. I never knew about the switch to Michael.

18 minutes ago, Haken said:

Bat Out of Hell was one of those albums that everyone seemed to have at the time, along with Tubular Bells and Dark Side of the Moon.

I always link it (ownership-wise) to Rumours.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

He was a Hartlepool United fan - true story!

Only because he heard that the residents hanged a monkey thinking it was a Frenchman 🤣

As has already been posted. If you were a teenager in 1977/78, I was 14, then you had an LP copy of Bat out of he'll, Tubular bells, Dark side of the moon, and I would add Blondie's Parallel lines.

Jim Steinman wrote them and Meatloaf didn't have deliver them. To me he was up there with Freddie Mercury for stage presence and performance.

RiP Meat, and thanks for many fantastic music/singing memories.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As has already been posted. If you were a teenager in 1977/78, I was 14, then you had an LP copy of Bat out of he'll, Tubular bells, Dark side of the moon, and I would add Blondie's Parallel lines.

Jim Steinman wrote them and Meatloaf didn't have deliver them. To me he was up there with Freddie Mercury for stage presence and performance.

RiP Meat, and thanks for many fantastic music/singing memories.

Well said. 

It's great to read these tributes. Meat's music and personality inspired me a great deal when I was a teenager in the 90s. Kept me going at times in the years since. I had the pleasure of meeting him and shaking his hand when he officially opened HMV on Princes St. in 1998. 

And Jim Steinman, for his incredible, original unique music and powerful lyrics, and Meat Loaf for those same adjectives in his performances. Two absolutely brilliant figures in music. Both passed away within a year of each other.

I'm so grateful for their music.

Rest in Peace, Meat and Jimmy. 

Malinga the Swinga
20 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

He had 109 acting credits, according to IMDB. I only remember him from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Was excellent in Fight Club, playing a role that few would have thought him capable of, yet he carried it off well.

Malinga the Swinga

My favourite track is Heaven Can Wait. Great lyrics given justice by a great voice.

I always had Meat Loaf and Alice Cooper as entertainers who put on a show and enjoyed their performances.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

2 of the greatest showmen

20220121_162747.jpg

I count myself blessed to have seen both of them live. Two incredible frontmen who sent you home on a high. 

Bat Out Of Hell was and still is an incredible album. I first heard it as an 8 year old in 78 when a friend brought a copy back from the States. I can still picture sitting in his room and the opening of BOOH blew me away. Over 40 years later and my 11 year old son loves it. 

12 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I count myself blessed to have seen both of them live. Two incredible frontmen who sent you home on a high. 

Bat Out Of Hell was and still is an incredible album. I first heard it as an 8 year old in 78 when a friend brought a copy back from the States. I can still picture sitting in his room and the opening of BOOH blew me away. Over 40 years later and my 11 year old son loves it. 

I wish I'd seen Freddie, but I did see Meat twice. Brilliant performer.

I have similar recollections to you with BOOH. Amazing intro ... and the entire album to be honest. I played those songs on repeat for 10 years. Alongside Queen Greatest Hits it has to be said. Those two tapes I inherited, and both instantly affected me. 

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Absolute Classic Rock playing the "Bat out of Hell" album in full from 7pm.

:yas:

Just finished listening to it.

His superb voice actually comes to the fore, on the last track, for crying out loud. Imho.

15 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I was surprised to hear that he'd acted in 65 films as well as his music career.

I'm forever grateful to Bat Out of Hell for sealing a job interview years ago. I can't remember the full context but the boss man in the interview responded to a conversation with, "It was long ago and it was far away." to which I replied, "It was so much better than it is today." I sometimes wonder what he might have thought if he'd genuinely just been talking about something distant that was quite old and had never heard the song...

:biggrin:

Just put BOOH on the turntable 15 mins ago ( original copy by the way from 1978)Probably have not listened to it in 20 yrs. No excuse. It is one of the all time greats. 

Gutted he is gone. 

RIP Meatloaf.

If there is a heaven he will be rockin it!

Jeffros Furios
Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why did he call himself meatloaf?

Cause his name was Nigel 

15 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why did he call himself meatloaf?

I think his high school football coach called him it and it just stuck.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

It really is amazingly easy to find that out once you’re online. 

Equally easily to act rude too 

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I could say it takes one to know one mate 

You could indeed.

You'd be wrong though.