Wagamama’s

jack D and coke

jack D and coke

Right. In the last 6 months I’ve just tried this gaff and honestly I really love the scran. 
You get served pretty quickly, I genuinely enjoy the food yet a mate of mine says it’s the worst thing he’s ever ate to the point I think he’s at it…everyone I recommend to go then tells me they loved it. Except this nonce….

So kickback arseholes please rate this place👍🏼

A Boy Named Crow
35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Right. In the last 6 months I’ve just tried this gaff and honestly I really love the scran. 
You get served pretty quickly, I genuinely enjoy the food yet a mate of mine says it’s the worst thing he’s ever ate to the point I think he’s at it…everyone I recommend to go then tells me they loved it. Except this nonce….

It used to be by go-to at Heathrow terminal 5. My favourite was a curry called Sumatra's Curry...or something like that. 

It always makes me laugh when people call out Asian food for being "inauthentic". An authentic Thai meal for example would have a decent chance of leaving you with the Rick Witters. If you're talking about authentic Sri Lankan, the probability of sharting is close to 100%

Wakayama is great. It's a little bit westernised...but I'll take that if it comes with good hygiene standards too 😁

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It used to be by go-to at Heathrow terminal 5. My favourite was a curry called Sumatra's Curry...or something like that. 

It always makes me laugh when people call out Asian food for being "inauthentic". An authentic Thai meal for example would have a decent chance of leaving you with the Rick Witters. If you're talking about authentic Sri Lankan, the probability of sharting is close to 100%

Wakayama is great. It's a little bit westernised...but I'll take that if it comes with good hygiene standards too 😁

Tonight we had Firecracker chicken and Soba teriyaki sirloin steak noodles. Me and the bairn that is…bottle of plonk and I’m still at it. 
Wonderful scran imo. 

A Boy Named Crow
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Tonight we had Firecracker chicken and Soba teriyaki sirloin steak noodles. Me and the bairn that is…bottle of plonk and I’m still at it. 
Wonderful scran imo. 

Sounds great, almost as good as the Vegemite on toast I just wolfed down!

luckyBatistuta

Went there with my brother in law for a meal in our break one night. We were both a little disappointed with what we got. It wasn’t that it was bad, just thought it was alright, nothing special. We actually thought we could make something just as good ourselves. We did go back a second time to give them the benefit, but was pretty much the same again. I think it’s just another one of these restaurants that attract the sheep of this world. Oh it’s fab…oh yeah, isn’t it fabulous. No it’s not, it’s just all a bit meh, just an average restaurant, nothing more. 

So, to some it up, I don’t fully agree with your mate @jack D and coke  it’s not terrible, just not that good…

but glad to know the boy isn’t a  🐑 baaaaa,baaaa

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Sounds great, almost as good as the Vegemite on toast I just wolfed down!

Vegemite on toast😬 I’ve never tried Vegemite, but doesn’t sound appealing.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Went there with my brother in law for a meal in our break one night. We were both a little disappointed with what we got. It wasn’t that it was bad, just thought it was alright, nothing special. We actually thought we could make something just as good ourselves. We did go back a second time to give them the benefit, but was pretty much the same again. I think it’s just another one of these restaurants that attract the sheep of this world. Oh it’s fab…oh yeah, isn’t it fabulous. No it’s not, it’s just all a bit meh, just an average restaurant, nothing more. 

So, to some it up, I don’t fully agree with your mate @jack D and coke  it’s not terrible, just not that good…

4653ABA6-32BB-4324-8A47-7AD6B4958213.jpeg

A Boy Named Crow

Sourdough toast, hunners of butter, a bit of Vegemite and a cup of black coffee. Breakfast of champions!

EDIT @luckyBatistuta, forgot to quote you...

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Sourdough toast, hunners of butter, a bit of Vegemite and a cup of black coffee. Breakfast of champions!

EDIT @luckyBatistuta, forgot to quote you...

Like marmite🤷‍♂️ taste anything like it? 

I’ll give it a go, can’t disappoint me more than Wagamama’s did🤣😂

A Boy Named Crow
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Like marmite🤷‍♂️ taste anything like it? 

I’ll give it a go, can’t disappoint me more than Wagamama’s did🤣😂

😂 They really pissed on your noodles eh

Vegemite and Marmite are similar, but not the same. I prefer the former to the latter.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

luckyBatistuta

If you’re at Wagamama on the corner of Lothian road…don’t go in, carry on up and around the corner onto Grindlay street and you’ll find a laaverly little restaurant called Kanpai. You won’t regret it, blows the wool off Wagamama, a little gem of a place. I’ve not tried them all yet, but the best Japanese restaurant I’ve been to so far in Edinburgh.

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

😂 They really pissed on your noodles eh

Vegemite and Marmite are similar, but not the same. I prefer the former to the latter.

Pissed on my noodles🤣🤣🤣

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I thought it was shite, mind you I've only been once. 2004 in Sydney.

This man knows his restaurants

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Seeing as you asked do nicely I love it there, never had a bad meal abd even use the chopsticks for shits n giggles. Not been for a wee while, will need to remedy that. 

14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

If you’re at Wagamama on the corner of Lothian road…don’t go in, carry on up and around the corner onto Grindlay street and you’ll find a laaverly little restaurant called Kanpai. You won’t regret it, blows the wool off Wagamama, a little gem of a place. I’ve not tried them all yet, but the best Japanese restaurant I’ve been to so far in Edinburgh.

Or if you don’t want to walk that far pop into Ting Thai Caravan to satisfy your need for Asian food. 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Or if you don’t want to walk that far pop into Ting Thai Caravan to satisfy your need for Asian food. 

Not been in there yet, wife isn’t a fan of Thai. Now that you’ve mentioned Thai food though…Chaophraya on Castle Street are doing 50% off all food until the end of January, Sun-Thurs I think👍

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Seeing as you asked do nicely I love it there, never had a bad meal abd even use the chopsticks for shits n giggles. Not been for a wee while, will need to remedy that. 

Omg, I’ll sit my 13 year old at your table then if we’re in at the same time. He won’t stop playing with them😤🤣

A Boy Named Crow
41 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Oooft, not profitable. Australia knows.

To be fair, the Asian food here is pretty spectacular. They'd have to up their game to compete. 

It's a bit like Starbucks, completely crowded out of the market here, because we have independent cafes that actually do good coffee for about $3.50 (in Sydney)...unlike Starbucks, who cheerfully ask for $5 for insipid, flavourless pish.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

To be fair, the Asian food here is pretty spectacular. They'd have to up their game to compete. 

It's a bit like Starbucks, completely crowded out of the market here, because we have independent cafes that actually do good coffee for about $3.50 (in Sydney)...unlike Starbucks, who cheerfully ask for $5 for insipid, flavourless pish.

Exactly my point bud, it’s not as good, yet the sheep still flock to it. I can’t remember the last time I drank a Starbucks coffee, probably over 2 years ago on holiday in Florida, seriously overrated.

A Boy Named Crow
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Exactly my point bud, it’s not as good, yet the sheep still flock to it. I can’t remember the last time I drank a Starbucks coffee, probably over 2 years ago on holiday in Florida, seriously overrated.

Aye, I'm not saying Wagamama is good by Australian standards, but it was perfectly fine when I was in the UK. 😁

I've never been there. I've heardmixed reviews tbh.

Yes Sushi on Hannover St. And Maki and Ramen are good If you fancy trying different restaurants.

As mentioned above. It's probably the worst of all the Pho / Ramen restaurants - the flavours are very basic and not traditional at all. I can't see any reason to go to Wagamama with the smaller, independent options available in cities like Glasgow & Edinburgh. 

I understand why people like it, but if you've been to Asian countries and tried their food, you'd never go back to Wagamama.

I've got one of their cookbooks which has been well used over the years.

It's a global chain doing Japanese "inspired" food. Not a lot of point in comparing it with independent Asian restaurants. Better comparison would be Nandos or something, no?

I'm another fan of Kanpai in Grindlay Street.

Konrad von Carstein
7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not been in there yet, wife isn’t a fan of Thai. Now that you’ve mentioned Thai food though…Chaophraya on Castle Street are doing 50% off all food until the end of January, Sun-Thurs I think👍

Been there a couple of times, my review of it would be similar to your Wagamama one.

Only been twice. Last time about 10 hears ago.

Seem to remember it being quite price and not blown away by food. I'd try it again though.

2 hours ago, pablo said:

It's a global chain doing Japanese "inspired" food. Not a lot of point in comparing it with independent Asian restaurants. Better comparison would be Nandos or something, no?

Kanpai is superb. :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Passorn is excellent for Thai food.

Edited by Ray Gin

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Or the new Ting Thai

10 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Definitely best place in T5

Jeffros Furios
11 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You've clearly no taste.

All that time sitting in traffic breathing in fumes has either done for your taste-buds or rotted your brain.

Best scran on the go by a country mile.

5 hours ago, pablo said:

Pretty much, it'll be the same customer base as TGI fridays, pizza express etc 

As others have said Wagamama's is sometimes the best of a bad bunch at the airport but that's about it

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

You've clearly no taste.

All that time sitting in traffic breathing in fumes has either done for your taste-buds or rotted your brain.

This guy kens…

:brucey:

luckyBatistuta

Looking pretty much like a majority verdict of...

average to  s h i t e 😃

Edited by luckyBatistuta

jack D and coke
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Looking pretty much like a majority verdict of...

average to  s h i t e 😃

As Jeffros says yir brain cells and taste buds are melted with diesel fumes pal. 
😀

13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Same for me, not been back for 2nd chance. Food was OK, a little expensive for what you get. Ate my bowl of whatever and left hungry.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, kevmacd said:

Same for me, not been back for 2nd chance. Food was OK, a little expensive for what you get. Ate my bowl of whatever and left hungry.

So many better options out there, we are spoilt for choice with restaurants in Edinburgh.

fabienleclerq

It's fine, had it a few times. Gyozas and bang bang cauliflower are decent. Definitely better options, as someone said above its an Asian mcdonalds. 

6 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

You've clearly no taste.

All those fumes have stunted his growth as well ☹️

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

It's fine, had it a few times. Gyozas and bang bang cauliflower are decent. Definitely better options, as someone said above its an Asian mcdonalds. 

5EB41942-9545-48D3-B804-CF1BEDF92094.jpeg

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

All those fumes have stunted his growth as well ☹️

Hasnae half pal. Got the wee man big chip on his shoulder aboot Wagas…

19 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

This. Had authentic Sri Lankan food many times in the Middle East (my best mate when I first went there was Sri Lankan) and the first time I had it it was so hot I got dizzy as ****!!

Only been to Wagamama once, wasn't that impressed tbh, don't recall what I had but I do remember thinking it felt a bit westernised.