Dundee Pubs for Cup Game

richardhateshibs

richardhateshibs

Im up in Dundee all weekend. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the pubs in the City Centre, and where will be showing it?

Cheers

Old Bank bar - Reform Street  or Trades House - nethergate.

Both semi decent anything outwith  the centre can be a bit Star Wars.

3 minutes ago, logopolis said:

Both reasonable shouts, and probably your best option. Trades is straight up the same street you'll find yourself on as you cross the road from the train station, at the top of the street on the right.  Old Bank Bar about 2 minutes around the corner past the Overgate.  Both have screens on for the football and are the best 2 in the City Centre.

If you fancy trying other ones, The Nether Inn and the Phoenix are just up Perth Road a bit. Nether Inn is usually full of mentalists though, so might not be the best shout but you should be safe at that time. It will definitely have it on the screens just make sure you're on your way before sundown! Phoenix should have screens on as well.

The Kilted Kangaroo (used to be the Boozy Cow, used to be Laings) is a bit further along Perth Road past the Uni. They'll have it on the screens as well and their food is great if you're going for a longer session. 

The Barrelman on Commercial Street could be a contender - it's just had a massive renovation with a boat load of money spent on it.

It used to be the Mercantile and had one hell of a reputation, but seems to be different now :lol:

If you're with mates and want a game of pool at the same time, Sportsterz up on Meadowside is really good, but can be a bit dead during the day.

If you want a laugh, or just generally fancy getting kicked in, have a shot at the Arctic Bar on Seagate, or the Club Bar on Union Street. 

richardhateshibs
5 hours ago, logopolis said:

Both semi decent anything outwith  the centre can be a bit Star Wars.

Thanks mate. Are these ok for kids too? Ill have my son with me.

5 hours ago, tian447 said:

Both reasonable shouts, and probably your best option. Trades is straight up the same street you'll find yourself on as you cross the road from the train station, at the top of the street on the right.  Old Bank Bar about 2 minutes around the corner past the Overgate.  Both have screens on for the football and are the best 2 in the City Centre.

If you fancy trying other ones, The Nether Inn and the Phoenix are just up Perth Road a bit. Nether Inn is usually full of mentalists though, so might not be the best shout but you should be safe at that time. It will definitely have it on the screens just make sure you're on your way before sundown! Phoenix should have screens on as well.

The Kilted Kangaroo (used to be the Boozy Cow, used to be Laings) is a bit further along Perth Road past the Uni. They'll have it on the screens as well and their food is great if you're going for a longer session. 

The kilted Kangaroo is worth the extra walk. Haven't been there since it was Laings, but it was the best bar in the city in those days.

3 hours ago, richardhateshibs said:

Trades House - probably not.  I've never seen anyone take their kids in there, and it's a bit more of a traditional boozer.

Old Bank Bar should be fine, and you can get a wee booth up the stairs with a small TV in it, as well as the 2 larger ones at either end of the room.  Food in there is alright as well, a bit Wetherspoon's-like, but still pretty good.

3 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

The kilted Kangaroo is worth the extra walk. Haven't been there since it was Laings, but it was the best bar in the city in those days.

It's been consistently good for years, regardless of what name it's been since it was Laings!  Usually pubs changing hands can be a bit of a disaster, but it's still worth the walk along :thumbsup:

If you want a really good football pub go to frews  not far from dens, is the place to go get buses from city centre 1 to st marys or 22to craigowl both pass the door of frews

Edited by Rockwell

9 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

If you want a really good football pub go to frews  not far from dens, is the place to go get buses from city centre 1 to st marys or 22to craigowl both pass the door of frews

Frews is cracking on a match day (been in a few times for United matches as well with mates) - I wouldn't exactly say that it's overly child friendly though, it's definitely a proper boozer, and it's slap bang in the middle of a shitehole (Hilltown, not just Dundee!) :lol: 

The Athletic Bar just down the road is also an experience... :hartley:

52 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Frews is cracking on a match day (been in a few times for United matches as well with mates) - I wouldn't exactly say that it's overly child friendly though, it's definitely a proper boozer, and it's slap bang in the middle of a shitehole (Hilltown, not just Dundee!) :lol: 

The Athletic Bar just down the road is also an experience... :hartley:

Frews is right on the edge of hilltown and is ok .your right about the athletic it used to be a great pub when Dougie Smith the ex United player owned it .now wow definitely to be avoided it's a desperate place for strangers 

Fort Vallance

Tickety Boos doesn't have Sky now so It'll definitely be on there. Decent food but not sure about kids. Dead central and close to bus and trains.

Edited by Fort Vallance
Addition

Fort Vallance
6 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

If you're going to walk that far you'd be as well walking another 5 minutes to Mennie's  (Speedwell). Proper pub.

12 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

Is Castaways still there??

Was that not next to the Bingo in the town?

Been gone for about a hundred years  :lol: 

19 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

If you're going to walk that far you'd be as well walking another 5 minutes to Mennie's  (Speedwell). Proper pub.

Everyone always says they love it.  I've honestly never seen the appeal; it's dark, dingy, and depressing. 

The 3 D's of Dundee, if you will :lol:

12 hours ago, tian447 said:

That Boozy Cow pub had a fantastic beer garden which I've been to a good few times in summertime 👍

4 minutes ago, rory78 said:

That Boozy Cow pub had a fantastic beer garden which I've been to a good few times in summertime 👍

It's been great for years, especially in the Summer.  Mind watching the 2016 World Cup, and the 2018 Euro games out the back on the TVs they put up!

@richardhateshibs I'd probably recommend it above any of the other ones, especially if you've got the wee man with you, and it should be a bit quieter at that time of day.  Easy walk along Perth Road, then it's on the left just down Roseangle:

kiltedkangaroo.png

7 hours ago, richardhateshibs said:

Old Bank Bar would be fine ... it's a Belhaven which are usually family friendly.

Frank Sidebottom
21 hours ago, tian447 said:

Was that not next to the Bingo in the town?

Been gone for about a hundred years  :lol: 

Aye it had saloon-style swing doors.  Went in for a pint as a student and never went back. 

I'm intrigued as to where OP ended up.

Probably ventured into the Arctic Bar or McDaniels and was promptly killed. 

RIP.

richardhateshibs
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

RIP.

Ended up in the old bank bar. Plenty TV's all around us. The bar ended up pretty full, quite a few appeared to be in purely to watch the Hearts game which was surprising. 

Only issue was we had to get the wee man a meal due to licensing laws but I guess that would be the same for most city centre pubs. 

number witheld
11 minutes ago, richardhateshibs said:

Ended up in the old bank bar. Plenty TV's all around us. The bar ended up pretty full, quite a few appeared to be in purely to watch the Hearts game which was surprising. 

Only issue was we had to get the wee man a meal due to licensing laws but I guess that would be the same for most city centre pubs. 

What did he go for? I am at once reminded of an inbetweeners episode. 

richardhateshibs
29 minutes ago, number witheld said:

Not a carvery anyway 😉

2 hours ago, richardhateshibs said:

Nice one, it's a good wee pub with a minimal amount of jakes and weirdos. The Old Bank Bar was my local, I lived 3 doors up the street in one of the flats.  The booths upstairs have little TVs in them, and the big ones in the corner would show different games that were on so it was perfect for getting food, some beers and watching the football on a Saturday. 

My mate choked on a pint and spewed all over the downstairs tables in there once :lol: It was magnificent, he started choking and coughing and everyone turned and looked just in time to see him projectile vomit about 3 pints of Tennants worth of foam all over the table.  The bar staff told him if he cleaned it up, they wouldn't chuck him out. :lol:

Hope it wasn't your table :whistling:

4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Nice one, it's a good wee pub with a minimal amount of jakes and weirdos. The Old Bank Bar was my local, I lived 3 doors up the street in one of the flats.  The booths upstairs have little TVs in them, and the big ones in the corner would show different games that were on so it was perfect for getting food, some beers and watching the football on a Saturday. 

My mate choked on a pint and spewed all over the downstairs tables in there once :lol: It was magnificent, he started choking and coughing and everyone turned and looked just in time to see him projectile vomit about 3 pints of Tennants worth of foam all over the table.  The bar staff told him if he cleaned it up, they wouldn't chuck him out. :lol:

Hope it wasn't your table :whistling:

default_smilies_rofl.gif.d63a0041e554e3ea5752f8d54057895d.gifdefault_smilies_boak.gif.de760f9b606943f97a344ebec992fef5.gif

I had a rare old time in the trades bar before Xmas . Not so much coming out of it. Face planted the road, busted my glasses and ****ed my ankle. 

9 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

default_smilies_rofl.gif.d63a0041e554e3ea5752f8d54057895d.gifdefault_smilies_boak.gif.de760f9b606943f97a344ebec992fef5.gif

Happened about 7 years ago. He gets reminded about it... 

Constantly :jjyay:

millerjames398
4 hours ago, number witheld said:

Was it ale, cider, or mead to accompany the carvery😂

I heard that if you do the old “Dundeehhhhhh Ehhhhhhhhh Pehhhhhhh” 

when you go into a Dundee pub you get a free pint, can the op confirm this?

6 hours ago, tian447 said:

RIP.

Arctic bar used to be run by a Jambo back in the day, served a great pickled egg too