George Burley: 'Tynecastle return no problem'

slfjambo

Scotland's new supremo has revealed that he will have "no problem" returning to Tynecastle to assess players in his new role as Scotland manager..............................................................................Burley has not visited the stadium since being dismissed by owner Vladimir Romanov in October 2005, at a time when Hearts were clear at the top of the SPL and enjoying the best start to a league campaign n their 134-year history....................................................

Burley revealed that he received no compensation from the Edinburgh club, although his contract had 19 months still to run.

He believes he was the victim of a smear campaign concerning claims of alcohol abuse and refused a request from Hearts to spend three weeks at a drying-out clinic in eastern Europe.

Romanov consequently sacked him and, in spite of being pursued by Burley's lawyers, refused to pay compensation for the remainder of his contract.................................................................Burley said yesterday: "I just decided to make a clean break and move on. Fortunately, I joined Southampton soon afterwards............................................ Could we have won the league there? Who knows?............................................

"I enjoyed my spell at Hearts and worked with some excellent players. It's unpleasant when people spread stories about you, but if you come out and shout your mouth off about them it only adds to it.

"The person I had to deal with on a day-to-day basis was [chief executive] Phil Anderton and he was great. He knows exactly what happened. You get annoyed by these so-called rumours but I never let anything that went on affect me at all.

"I was with the players and the chief exec all the time.

"As far as I am concerned, there will be no problem for me going back to Tynecastle."...................................................

Burley's neckwear was more of a cause for concern yesterday; a hideous tie liberally sprinkled with Saltires, which Austin Powers might have considered a trifle overstated.

"It was a Christmas present from my Auntie Isobel," he explained. "She thought that one day I might wear it and I thought that this might be an appropriate time."

One can only hope that his team's football is more aesthetically pleasing.

jack D and coke

Burley will get a tremendous reception from us when he comes back imo.

It's not his fault our owner is a complete fud.

No compensation either??!!! Romanov is a utter disgrace. A f@nny and a total incompetent.

Appoint a manager or GTF

Hope to hear a rousing chorus of 'There's only one George Burley' upon his return to Tynie.

It would show our thanks for what he did in his short time here and also get it right up romanov and his "russian crew"(copyright phil anderton)

Hope to hear a rousing chorus of 'There's only one George Burley' upon his return to Tynie.

It would show our thanks for what he did in his short time here and also get it right up romanov and his "russian crew"(copyright phil anderton)

I agree. Should be a standing ovation for him if he is introduced at half time.

Aye, that would be amazing...imagine Romanovs face!!! hahaha!

One george Burley... Theres only one George Burley!!!

i hope Frail takes him aside and asks him for some advice.

anything to get the team playing like the old days.

Fine Scottish Wine

I do feel GB has become some sort of Poster boy for the Anti Romanov / Anti Lithuanian influence at Tynecastle these days and it is really quite sad. The guy did great for us but i feel people are more interested in applauding him to stick it up Romanov than anything else.

The Real Maroonblood
I do feel GB has become some sort of Poster boy for the Anti Romanov / Anti Lithuanian influence at Tynecastle these days and it is really quite sad. The guy did great for us but i feel people are more interested in applauding him to stick it up Romanov than anything else.

People see it as how it could have been. A great chance to win the league in such a loNg time but thanks to the "Puppet Master" it went t**s up.

By all means give the guy a polite round of applause to welcome the new Scotland manager to Tynecastle. In fact give it some more gusto to welcome back a former manager who had an excellent (if very short) period at Hearts.

However, to view it as an opportunity to attack the owner/running of the club is disrespectful to Burley and his new position.

If you want to protest then get an imagination and put some effort into organising a suitable protest with published objectives that all fans can choose to join in, or not.

The suggestion of "getting it up Romanov" will just mix our supporters in with the whole circus currently at Tynecastle.

ToadKiller Dog

Burley looks like he wants to Draw a line under the shenanigans that lost him his job with us,might be time we all put it to bed and wish him well with the national side and try to work out whats best for the hearts team now. Keeping rehashing the Short Burley era and its sucsess and bitter end must still affect us all as fans and the players .

Time to close that book(but not forget) and move on we have enough current worries.

Fine Scottish Wine
People see it as how it could have been. A great chance to win the league in such a loNg time but thanks to the "Puppet Master" it went t**s up.

I know that, i feel similar myself. But if i were to applaud him in any way i would be looking at him and saying thanks not looking at Romanov and seeing what his reaction is. It just feel to be applauding hi to stick it up Romanov kind of lessens the whole point.

Guest JamboRobbo
I know that, i feel similar myself. But if i were to applaud him in any way i would be looking at him and saying thanks not looking at Romanov and seeing what his reaction is. It just feel to be applauding hi to stick it up Romanov kind of lessens the whole point.

Well obviously. As he ain't gonna be there.

Levein's defence and Burley's team won us the cup. Romanov could afford to fund that team for a little while.

Romanov has had enough congratulations for his effort - Burley has not had the public congratulations he should have had.

Aye, that would be amazing...imagine Romanovs face!!! hahaha!

One george Burley... Theres only one George Burley!!!

That's getting harder and harder to do these days.

Absence makes the fart go Honda.

Fine Scottish Wine
Well obviously. As he ain't gonna be there.

:) Your not stupid so i think you know what i mean well enough. What do you think GB would want, your praise for a job well done or to be used as a figure to belittle someone else. The former seems more likely to me.

Guest JamboRobbo
:) Your not stupid so i think you know what i mean well enough. What do you think GB would want, your praise for a job well done or to be used as a figure to belittle someone else. The former seems more likely to me.

Burley will get the praise he deserves from me. Which involves singing his name at the top of my voice to thank him for what he did at HMFC.

If that embarrases Mr Romanov, and reminds what a complete idiot he has been, I won't be losing any sleep over it. In fact, it'll be an added bonus.

Hope this does happen and he's given a heroes welcome.

Do you not think all these rumours about alcohol abuse is people misunderstanding he has a lisp and a broad scots accent?? Listening yesterday he sounded at times like he had a few. Probs need after getting that job. All the best GB, can't wait to see you at Tynie.

Fine Scottish Wine
Burley will get the praise he deserves from me. Which involves singing his name at the top of my voice to thank him for what he did at HMFC.

If that embarrases Mr Romanov, and reminds what a complete idiot he has been, I won't be losing any sleep over it. In fact, it'll be an added bonus.

I wont be losing any sleep over any of it, i just wont be interested what Romanov thinks one way or the other. I am just confused as to why some fans are.

Guest JamboRobbo
I wont be losing any sleep over any of it, i just wont be interested what Romanov thinks one way or the other. I am just confused as to why some fans are.

I guess some hope that it'll make him see sense. I'm past that point though - beginning to think it just ain't gonna happen.

I am looking forward to being able to say goodbye to Gorgeous. Was the best 3 months of my footballing life.

Then I'll move on and get back to supporting the Hearts.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of what happened, a rousing reception for George Burley would be more than appropriate to both thank him for what he did at HMFC AND to perhaps close the book on the disastrous events of 22 October 2005.

Fine Scottish Wine
I guess some hope that it'll make him see sense. I'm past that point though - beginning to think it just ain't gonna happen.

Then they are eternal optimists. If this season alone does not wake him up then nothing will.

Guest JamboRobbo
Then they are eternal optimists. If this season alone does not wake him up then nothing will.

Thats my thinking too. If he was gonna wake up, it'd have happened by now. I guess we'll see if this manager thing really happens or not.....

Probably not the thread for this. However, I get really wound up when I hear the (Burley - Championship - Lost Opportunity) argument.

What worries me is that so many feel angry that Burley being forced out the club lead directly to us not winning the title in 05/06. In my heart of hearts I just can't believe that we were ever going to win the title that year. Even if GB had seen out the season I still think that 2nd and a cup win would have been the best we could have expected to achieve (in fact beyond our wildest dreams!)

However, what the removal of Burley did was lose a sensible manager (and a very strong backroom staff) who had the potential to move the club on and achieve sustained success for a club with our support base and spending power (expected Euro qualification, challenges to the old firm top two domination, cup challenges and possibly a sustained title challenge).

I feel concerned that a strongly held view is that the removal of Burley "lost us the league" rather than the fact that the removal of Burley halted a period of stability and growth over several seasons started by Levein and showing signs of developing further over the coming seasons.

I predict his first game at Tynie will be the Rangers match on Wednesday 27th February as I really can't see him bother with Hearts v Gretna as there's nobody to watch. Good opportunity to say thanks as we never got the chance last time cos of the egomaniac.

I am looking forward to being able to say goodbye to Gorgeous. Was the best 3 months of my footballing life.

Then I'll move on and get back to supporting the Hearts.

You and me both WK.

Who is he going to be scouting?????

Elliott? Neilson? Stewart? Berra? The only way those 4 will get near a scotland jersey is if they buy one in JJB.

I will assume he will only be there when we are playing against a team with players who are of the calibre to represent scotland.

If that embarrases Mr Romanov, and reminds what a complete idiot he has been, I won't be losing any sleep over it. In fact, it'll be an added bonus

don't be delusional :rolleyes:

Whilst the departure of GB was a less than glorious episode in our history we must not forget that GB would not have every come to Hearts had we not had Vlad's injection of money.

Referring to 'Burley's' team winning the cup I think is to belittle the phenomenal efforts of Elvis, John McGlynn and Valdas of holding that team together after all the turmoil. I've just finished reading 'Believe' and the book does remind you that those 3 had a crucial role to play in our cup win.

I see Keith Jackson was spurting his usual nonsense in the Daily Ranger today...priceless!

started his article by slating Burley for wearing a novelty tie then going on to say he desserves a new start and to be treated with respect...

Jackson is a plum!

I see Keith Jackson was spurting his usual nonsense in the Daily Ranger today...priceless!

started his article by slating Burley for wearing a novelty tie then going on to say he desserves a new start and to be treated with respect...

Jackson is a plum!

Chris - I see you live in WeeGee land...do you not mean Ouiji?

I see it as the perfect opportunity to show romanov our great displeasure at his disastrous running of the football club. Some fans on another thread are musing on a protest song. Isn't 'Theres only one GB' ideal? Since all our woes are a direct result of this folly its tailor made to both thank Burley and send a message to the board.

Some fans think it is time to 'move on'. How very new labour. When they hear things that they dont like or reminders of what could have been its time to 'draw a line under it'. Well until, or indeed if, romanov comes to his senses and runs the football club properly Burley will always be a reminder of a magnificent opportunity wasted and the more chances we have to remind him of his foolishness the better.

imo it will only be time to 'move on' when romanov does.

imo it will only be time to 'move on' when romanov does.

Vlad's not going anywhere mate

his ego won't let him

Vlad's not going anywhere mate

his ego won't let him

I meant move on from his current and ongoing 'running' of the club to something a little more sane.

I meant move on from his current and ongoing 'running' of the club to something a little more sane.

it would be nice if he did

Chris - I see you live in WeeGee land...do you not mean Ouiji?

Didnt know there was an official way of spelling it.:eek:

portobellojambo1
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of what happened, a rousing reception for George Burley would be more than appropriate to both thank him for what he did at HMFC AND to perhaps close the book on the disastrous events of 22 October 2005.

Agree totally Geoff.

I don't think there is any doubt Burley will get a massive welcome on his return to Tynecastle, and he fully deserves it.

However I also agree with Fine Scottish Wine, it should be used as a means of showing our gratitude for what Burley did during a far too short reign here, not as an excuse to rub Romanov's nose in it (if Romanov wants to take it that way that is up to him, but personally I do not think anything needs rubbed in, in hindsight I would think that Romanov now realises that the biggest fecking mistake he has made since becoming associated with Hearts was sacking Burley, he has made a few errors of judgement but this was by far the worst).

The time may come when Romanov's nose does need rubbed in it, that time will come once, I'll go with once rather than if, a new manager is put in place, and we see exactly how much freedom to operate he is given, if Romanov screws up again he will not get a third chance.

Archived