Gino at striker

boag1874

4 minutes ago, Sid said:

He hasn’t shown anything playing back to the goal. Therefore, not a central striker.  

However, he scores goals and that’s what we need. We need to fit him in the team. 

We need to be fluid to allow players to get in and around the box and score goals. 

Your final line is what it's about really. I know it was Robbie himself who referenced "number 9" but the truth is we're most likely to see something of an interchanging front line.

What will be important for Gino is still that development of central striker skills, so yeah a bit better at hold up and link, but I'd think working hard on his one on one finishing incl one on one with defenders.

But it may be for when he finds himself there rather than he's an out and out number 9.

With Gino, Woodburn and Boyce already in the picture, and more perhaps to come in, I don't hugely see us going "this guy is our lead striker".

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScandinavianJambo

• DH1986

• TheBigO

• briever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on who we are playing.  Teams like STJ Dundee etc probably yes, but teams where they have a physically strong defence like Motherwell probably not…. He struggled against them.  

2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

When Barrie went off last night the camera was on Gino never said who was going off or hear Scott Wilson in the background, Gino was clapping and standing still, I thought he was milking the fans clapping him off the pitch only to see it was Barrie going off and Gino was applauding him  😂.

He has a couple of chances in the first half, The one when he went through could of shot took another second and was brought down looked a pen. 

Gino just needs a run of games he is a good player Would like him to play more down the middle. 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I agree with Robbie on this one, I think Gino could easily turn into a natural number 9, and imagine his pace against the bigot brothers, or away venues like Pittodrie or the Echo Dome, this could be a real asset for us as his pace will terrify defences, but he needs the service! 

2 hours ago, CMc said:

He will make chances with his pace. He will blow chances through not being a career striker. 

That’s not to say he can’t develop into a more central role. He’s still young. 

However, the wingers who make successful switches to being number 9s are not normally 5’8”. 

I see where you guys are coming from but one of the things I like about him is how he pops up right across the front, from right to left. 

It's almost as if it's immaterial where he starts, he goes looking for the positions where he can get the ball. There was a play early in the game where Gino was attacking the box from the right and there was a huge gap just in front of the six yard box on the right of goal. GMS was on the 18 yard line in perfect position to attack the area, and he just stood there watching. 

I was watching the Celtic H1b5 game the night before and Nisbet was exactly the same, occupying the central areas and not noticing the good runs into space.

He rarely wins a header and doesn't seem to hold the ball up too well either. Never a traditional no9, but more effective in space.

Luckily St J were high up the park after kick off which gave him space to run into for the 1st last night

Ginnelly seems to be a confidence player. I didn't think he had a particularly good first half but then took his two goals well. 

I'd prefer us to play a proper striker up front but we played with Woodburn, mckay and ginnelly up front v Dundee utd and scored 5 goals, plus it seemed to work last night, so maybe this is the way to go for us. Man city also play at times without a recognised striker and works for them. 

Takeshi kovac

Really like Gino and his pace frightens teams. Took both his goals well last night but first half when he was through the middle he couldn't hold the ball up. He is not a natural no9 and I don't think we can turn him into one now. He plays his best off the right wing so let's keep him there and get another striker in

8 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Ginnelly seems to be a confidence player. I didn't think he had a particularly good first half but then took his two goals well. 

I'd prefer us to play a proper striker up front but we played with Woodburn, mckay and ginnelly up front v Dundee utd and scored 5 goals, plus it seemed to work last night, so maybe this is the way to go for us. Man city also play at times without a recognised striker and works for them. 

4 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Really like Gino and his pace frightens teams. Took both his goals well last night but first half when he was through the middle he couldn't hold the ball up. He is not a natural no9 and I don't think we can turn him into one now. He plays his best off the right wing so let's keep him there and get another striker in

I have noticed this several times before when he scores. He strikes the ball exceptionally well and makes sure he gets his body position right rather than snatching at the ball. I agree, he's not a target man or hold it up striker, his assets are mobility, pace and ball striking. Not a bad hand to play imo.

Edited by upgotheheads

Just now, Takeshi kovac said:

Sums it up for me, first half poor, due to the fact that he was never going to win anything in the air, and hold up was not really productive either. He came into a game with the ball infront of him and space to get upto speed. Mckay was the difference though, excellent performance.👏

Pasquale for King

He can play there and as RN said needs coaching on it, works ok against teams that push up. He didn’t do that well last night until moved back out wide where McKay having found more space centrally because of the switch could play him in. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, rorcos said:

Robbo Colquhoun Crabbe   V    Boyce McKay Ginnelly 

7FC558CD-F399-4357-80F8-8BDE6AD71B97.jpeg

5E4BFEAB-CC6D-4F50-A305-DE51AC2E93F0.jpeg

377C7A2C-E707-408E-9EA9-A1C7A491C400.jpeg

16668B78-56E6-430A-8731-50DE4CBF2A38.jpeg

482DA8FF-677C-4B82-82D6-776B2B8F1E8D.jpeg

AF422992-E823-4FDE-91EB-BCE766BCBB94.jpeg

No comparison goals wise or styles but if the modern three can be half as good we’re onto a winner. 

What this did for me and it's been the case since Boyce has been out is it showed me that we've played better without Boyce. Likes of Mckay, Woodburn and even Devlin to an extent need to get forward higher up pitch with the ball rather than knock it up to Boyce which tends to slow things down. I'm not suggesting Boyce doesn't have a role we just need to find a way of playing him, there's no doubt though we're playing some of our best football just now.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Yip.

Took his goals well but did not a lot for most of game form either on wing or through middle.

Emergency stand in for me only.

Boyce would not have scored either goal last night IMO

Be great as an inverted winger but not as the main man through the middle.Look at both his goals last night both coming from cutting in from the right and lots of times last night he just natu rally drifted out there.

Doesn't sound well about a striker coming in if Robbie thinks him playing through the middle is the way forward.

5 hours ago, grumpyespana said:

Have to agree I thought he would have brought the Aussie lad on instead of Halliday.

Me too. A 'secret weapon' for upcoming matches? Plus other players due back.

Gino has had a few issues with injuries, has worked his socks off. Hasn't been easy for him to fit in along with non football matters and covid reasons. Stop start a couple of times.

Last night gave us a look at the Ginnelly we saw in the very early day he arrived. A very talented player who has fallen in love with Us. Gino will hopefuly stay in the side for the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, briever said:

Indeed, his penalty claim came about because he was reluctant to shoot when he should have.

Agreed. Even a wee toe-poke! Mind you, easy for us to think that ... more than likely more difficult in reality.

ScandinavianJambo
7 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Gino is not a great player.

When we sign a proper striker he will be back to warming the bench.

He was brought in as a winger and can barely beat a man out wide and isn’t a great crosser of the ball.

I am not sure who you where watching last night, but that was some great play. He still needs to prove it on a consistent basis (with Barrie's help), but say that's he isn't good enough really is strange after last night performance.

9 hours ago, briever said:

Gino cant play the lone striker against better sides - the first 20mins yesterday we were pumping balls up the park - at a short winger.  He needs somebody to play off.

I hope this doesn't mean we aren't going to get another striker in Jan?

What annoyed me the most last night is the game is in the bag and he subbed BM for ****ing Halliday, even when leading against the bottom side RN cant shake off his conservatism.

Don't think it was conservatism, think he was saving a player who had done his job as the fixture list is very busy and what's the point of risking injury to such a important player.

RN would not have been my choice at the start of the season, but he's pulled it off so far this season.

Would think most intelligent managers would have taken off BM when he did.

44 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I am not sure who you where watching last night, but that was some great play. He still needs to prove it on a consistent basis (with Barrie's help), but say that's he isn't good enough really is strange after last night performance.

Keeps scoring, keep playing ▶️ 

Francis Albert

I think we looked a lot more threatening last night without Boyce as indeed we did against Dundee United. We attacked with a bit of pace and strong running whereas too often too much of our attacking is focused on finding Boyce which slows everything up.

Work in progress, but looks the part. Certainly worth pursuing as his speed is blistering, causing their defence all sorts of problems last night. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer...but worth another shot

To be fair he’s had more than one swallow

9 hours ago, Berra than you said:

Yeah I liked that second half. Would involve twerking the front three as you say so the central player is a false nine. We would need a bit more from wingback in this case but that's probably why we signed Atkinson.

It would involve what again?

1 hour ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Not really.

He was lucky to make it out for the second half imo. He is only in the team because we don’t have anyone else.

He can’t even dislodge the completely ineffective GMS.

Gino, at best, will be a bench man for the majority of his Hearts career. He took his two goals superbly last night and that could well be invaluable for us when games are opening up and we need a killer goal.

IMO……he is nowhere near the standard of player we need to progress.

Was impressed with him last night. Great work rate and never scared to try.

Would agree he's not an out in out striker but running in behind sort.

8 hours ago, rorcos said:

Robbo Colquhoun Crabbe   V    Boyce McKay Ginnelly 

7FC558CD-F399-4357-80F8-8BDE6AD71B97.jpeg

5E4BFEAB-CC6D-4F50-A305-DE51AC2E93F0.jpeg

377C7A2C-E707-408E-9EA9-A1C7A491C400.jpeg

16668B78-56E6-430A-8731-50DE4CBF2A38.jpeg

482DA8FF-677C-4B82-82D6-776B2B8F1E8D.jpeg

AF422992-E823-4FDE-91EB-BCE766BCBB94.jpeg

absolutely NO contest there, the top 3 by the proverbial country mile

Gino is good upfront. Was shite first half but everytime he's had a chance he's taken them. He needs a bit of coaching but he has pace and he's a good finisher. Something to continue exploring.

I think Gino's level of effectiveness will to some extent be dependent on how opposing teams choose to defend against us. In matches where the opposition are sitting deep and defending their eighteen yard line, Gino is going to struggle a bit. In matches where the opposition play a high defensive line and leave some space in behind, Gino will be a real threat. He is a player that clearly thrives on having space to run into. It allows him to use his biggest asset - his pace. 

When we go away to Ibrox and Parkhead I would absolutely be starting Gino at centre forward ahead of Liam Boyce. Tactically it just makes so much sense.

I love watching him because of his pace and unpredictability. He seems to lose heart at times when things aren't going his way though. Good to see him play 90 minutes for once.

Two great finishes yesterday when other players are scared to shoot or hit it tamely straight at the keeper.

His big asset is his pace when we are sitting in and counter attacking so ideal for Rangers and Celtic games. Boyce is much better at holding the ball up but Gino is the man for running onto a ball played through or over the defence.

Edited by gnasher75

Whitecapjambo

Thank Gino works out OK in games where we have lots if the ball. He won't hold it up much or contribute too much to linking play...but he's always a threat. Think we would notice a difference in pressing/defensive play against a better team if he is up front.

11 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Barrie McKay in that form will create chances for Gino to score a lot of goals in the second half of the season. 

Indeed. 👍 And thats the most important point for any striker - having players who can provide passes or crosses which suit his ability to get into space.   McKay was excellent last night (and has been in some other games too), but we need others to also provide these types of passes on the run.     Hibs fans rave about Scott Allan's ability to play defence splitting passes, but McKay looks to be just as good.

2 hours ago, bawheed said:

Don't think it was conservatism, think he was saving a player who had done his job as the fixture list is very busy and what's the point of risking injury to such a important player.

RN would not have been my choice at the start of the season, but he's pulled it off so far this season.

Would think most intelligent managers would have taken off BM when he did.

Its who he replaced him with, not the fact he took him off.

ScandinavianJambo
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Not really.

He was lucky to make it out for the second half imo. He is only in the team because we don’t have anyone else.

He can’t even dislodge the completely ineffective GMS.

Gino, at best, will be a bench man for the majority of his Hearts career. He took his two goals superbly last night and that could well be invaluable for us when games are opening up and we need a killer goal.

IMO……he is nowhere near the standard of player we need to progress.

I do not even know where to start with this reply. It is like you are angry with a guy who just played really well. I can hear your opinion loud and clear, and it makes absolutely no sense. Gino has, since his injury, played better and better. He looks like the guy we signed. He is not a down and out striker, and as we know, wingers go hot and cold. Can he play the strikers role? He just did. The game has two halves, he scored in the 2nd. He wasn't lucky to come out in the 2nd half, Robbie knows his players and his game plan worked, change of tactic made Gino more effective. Goodness me...

3 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

I do not even know where to start with this reply. It is like you are angry with a guy who just played really well. I can hear your opinion loud and clear, and it makes absolutely no sense. Gino has, since his injury, played better and better. He looks like the guy we signed. He is not a down and out striker, and as we know, wingers go hot and cold. Can he play the strikers role? He just did. The game has two halves, he scored in the 2nd. He wasn't lucky to come out in the 2nd half, Robbie knows his players and his game plan worked, change of tactic made Gino more effective. Goodness me...

The game plan was for Gino to be not that great through the middle in the first half then switch him out wide in the second half and get goals from there ?

Em….ok.

ScandinavianJambo
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

The game plan was for Gino to be not that great through the middle in the first half then switch him out wide in the second half and get goals from there ?

Em….ok.

Eh no, for him to be more effective he was played out wide in the 2nd half. First half wasn't great as you seem to have pointed out. Still find your way of speaking about a Hearts player who has done well weird. 

3 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Eh no, for him to be more effective he was played out wide in the 2nd half. First half wasn't great as you seem to have pointed out. Still find your way of speaking about a Hearts player who has done well weird. 

My original post was in reply to someone saying Gino is a ‘great playe’…..when he really isn’t.

He is only playing because of injuries and lack of depth in the striker department.

ScandinavianJambo
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

My original post was in reply to someone saying Gino is a ‘great playe’…..when he really isn’t.

He is only playing because of injuries and lack of depth in the striker department.

Not a great player compared to whom? This feels like an argument for an agreements sake. He might be playing in the forward role because of injuries. Still think he would be playing as a winger otherwise. Lighten up and be happy he is doing well. Nobody says we have a Ronaldo on our hands, but for the Scottish League, playing for Hearts, he is not doing bad. 

Just now, ScandinavianJambo said:

Not a great player compared to whom? This feels like an argument for an agreements sake. He might be playing in the forward role because of injuries. Still think he would be playing as a winger otherwise. Lighten up and be happy he is doing well. Nobody says we have a Ronaldo on our hands, but for the Scottish League, playing for Hearts, he is not doing bad. 

He can’t get a game on the wing. He isn’t good enough.

Barry Mackie dribbled past more men last night that Gino has in his entire time here.

I’ve said previously he will spend the majority of his career on the bench at Hearts and I stand by that. 

Once we sign two strikers there isn’t room for him.

ScandinavianJambo
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He can’t get a game on the wing. He isn’t good enough.

Barry Mackie dribbled past more men last night that Gino has in his entire time here.

I’ve said previously he will spend the majority of his career on the bench at Hearts and I stand by that. 

Once we sign two strikers there isn’t room for him.

Barry is a better winger, but he is better then most. I think Gino has it in him to play well, if he can keep consistency. He is far more consistent the GMS, and GMS gets enough game time! Only time will tell and in the meantime I will enjoy watching Gino and hope he gets better, rather than writing him off after a rather enjoyable game. In short, we will have to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

To be fair he’s had more than one swallow

He's only scored in 2 league games this season, 

If he can find the net on a regular occasion then he'd be a good asset to the team

All good comments. 

All I can say is that St Johnstones keeper came into that game with a good reputation and that combination of McKay and Gin made him look silly. They were superb goals. 

They really were. 

Ginelly as a striker is an interesting one.  In terms of hold up play he's not that great.  Aiming high balls at him is also a waste of time.  However, feed him the sort of balls mckay gave him and he can finish as well as any striker we have had in recent times.   The key for me is allowing our front 3 to be flexible even when Boyce is back there's no need for the wide players to stick to one side.  McKay set up the goals from midfield and left midfield respectively.   Our movement and pace up front is frightening at times.  

20 hours ago, briever said:

Its who he replaced him with, not the fact he took him off.

No fan of Haliday dont think he will be at Hearts after the summer.

Just hope we can keep Haring, he would be a huge miss.