• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScandinavianJambo

• DH1986

• TheBigO

• briever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When Barrie went off last night the camera was on Gino never said who was going off or hear Scott Wilson in the background, Gino was clapping and standing still, I thought he was milking the fans clapping him off the pitch only to see it was Barrie going off and Gino was applauding him  😂.

He has a couple of chances in the first half, The one when he went through could of shot took another second and was brought down looked a pen. 

Gino just needs a run of games he is a good player Would like him to play more down the middle. 

Great player - hopefully found his form

A tricky one for him. He has a lot of potential as a striker and - unlike other wingers - uses his physicality well. Isn’t afraid to try hold up the ball and compete in the air

Will see how it goes. Given Boyce/Woodburn like to come deep - and so does the Japanese lad we’re linked with - it is possible he could start out wide then make those runs into space

Him, Barrie and Boyce could be our best front 3 since early Romanov days

Focal point striker through the centre? Not for me, way too isolated, and for all Gordon’s qualities, he still has a tendency to punt kicks up the centre regardless of who’s up top and Ginnelly is a fish out of water when it comes to challenging centre half’s for such balls. That being said, an inside forward is certainly a shout, Neilson himself said after the game they needed to put him out on the right and it paid off with two goals.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Focal point striker through the centre? Not for me, way too isolated, and for all Gordon’s qualities, he still has a tendency to punt kicks up the centre regardless of who’s up top and Ginnelly is a fish out of water when it comes to challenging centre half’s for such balls. That being said, an inside forward is certainly a shout, Neilson himself said after the game they needed to put him out on the right and it paid off with two goals.

If Gino is to play striker we'd need a Kevin Kyle type striker to compliment him. But that's not really a direction the club is heading tactically.

Imagine Gino feeding off those knockdowns though...

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If Gino is to play striker we'd need a Kevin Kyle type striker to compliment him. But that's not really a direction the club is heading tactically.

Imagine Gino feeding off those knockdowns though...

i think we saw last night that he is better bursting through from a wider position

The Old Tolbooth

I agree with Robbie on this one, I think Gino could easily turn into a natural number 9, and imagine his pace against the bigot brothers, or away venues like Pittodrie or the Echo Dome, this could be a real asset for us as his pace will terrify defences, but he needs the service! 

He will make chances with his pace. He will blow chances through not being a career striker. 

That’s not to say he can’t develop into a more central role. He’s still young. 

However, the wingers who make successful switches to being number 9s are not normally 5’8”. 

13 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Neilson strongly suggesting that this seems to be the plan going forward. No reason it can’t work if he’s got support with him to play him through. Bags of pace & shown he can be a really good finisher

https://bit.ly/3KpU52u

Gino cant play the lone striker against better sides - the first 20mins yesterday we were pumping balls up the park - at a short winger.  He needs somebody to play off.

I hope this doesn't mean we aren't going to get another striker in Jan?

What annoyed me the most last night is the game is in the bag and he subbed BM for ****ing Halliday, even when leading against the bottom side RN cant shake off his conservatism.

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Don’t think he’d need to be a focal point but in a narrow 3 with McKay as a false 9/free role feeding those sublime through balls & Boyce alongside him to hold up & win headers we could be laughing

All roads lead to Gorgie

His pace and finishing was top notch last night, that should boost his confidence. I felt he was snatching at chances and taking the wrong option on a number of occasions but if last nights performance was an indicator of what is ahead then he can fill a main striker role easily. 

7 minutes ago, briever said:

Gino cant play the lone striker against better sides - the first 20mins yesterday we were pumping balls up the park - at a short winger.  He needs somebody to play off.

I hope this doesn't mean we aren't going to get another striker in Jan?

What annoyed me the most last night is the game is in the bag and he subbed BM for ****ing Halliday, even when leading against the bottom side RN cant shake off his conservatism.

Have to agree I thought he would have brought the Aussie lad on instead of Halliday.

2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Don’t think he’d need to be a focal point but in a narrow 3 with McKay as a false 9/free role feeding those sublime through balls & Boyce alongside him to hold up & win headers we could be laughing

I think McKay coming off the left like last night (with license to roam) and Ginnelly off the right is probably our best combination at the moment. GMS doesn’t really do anything and Woodburn is hot and cold and oddly enough better through the middle. So we will see if anyone else comes in to challenge, as much as I like Boyce and would pick him when fit, I do think his style may not be conducive to the fast paced attack we look to be going for.

Don't think it worked in the first half with Gino through the middle. Robbie deserves credit for moving him out right and (possibly) going with a false 9 with GMS/McKay and stop their Centre Halves getting anywhere near challenging for the ball. It gave everyone the space to create chances and make the ball stick up top.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Thought he took both his goals extremely well, but he doesn't look like a striker to me. In scoring the goals he reminded me of John Colhoun, a winger who could score goals when he came inside, but the rest of his play, in and around the penalty box, was not that of a striker as he seemed hesitant to pull the trigger when the ball wasn't ideally placed for him. 

In fact, his goals aside, he looked more like a poor man's Liam Boyce than an even poorer man's John Robertson.

It worked out alright last night, but in a match where chances are few and far between I doubt he's going to tuck away the one chance that comes his way, or even be in a position to miss the chance.

Gino is much better running in behind from the right hand side, gives teams all sorts of problems with his pace. 

Barrie McKay in that form will create chances for Gino to score a lot of goals in the second half of the season. 

2 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Thought he took both his goals extremely well, but he doesn't look like a striker to me. In scoring the goals he reminded me of John Colhoun, a winger who could score goals when he came inside, but the rest of his play, in and around the penalty box, was not that of a striker as he seemed hesitant to pull the trigger when the ball wasn't ideally placed for him. 

In fact, his goals aside, he looked more like a poor man's Liam Boyce than an even poorer man's John Robertson.

It worked out alright last night, but in a match where chances are few and far between I doubt he's going to tuck away the one chance that comes his way, or even be in a position to miss the chance.

Indeed, his penalty claim came about because he was reluctant to shoot when he should have.

IMO Gino adding goals to his game can only be a good thing. Hopefully it means when Boyce is back, he can play on the wing but will have that confidence going for goal. I think in large parts of this season we’ve been let down by our wingers not taking chances. 

He seems a bit of a confidence player, so hopefully this gives him that because we can all see he has bags of ability in his locker. 

Don't think he's suited to the 9. Far too many times he was caught on the touchline with Smith further forward and central than him. 

Great finishes though.

Nah not for me. Took his chances well but doesn't have the positional awareness needed for a striker and he was pushed off the ball far too easily. The guys a winger let's leave him out there to do damage. 

Bazzas right boot

His movement , speed of thought, touch  and awareness just isn't good enough.

However, he is an option and when the ball is played in front of him/ behind the defence  he is a threat, a great option to have but not good enough as first choice.

Great option tho and will play a part in the season.

His movement and pace was excellent last night, but he looked a bit lost first half and wasn’t sure what to do. Much better wide second half.

It's a bit of a funny one.  I always think people pigeon-hole players.  So Gino is a winger.  Woodburn is a winger or no 10.

Both have played very well up front for us this seaon.  But that's playing someone "out of position".  If they do well there, then that's their position!!  Do some people still think big Pete is a CH being played at CM?  Is Kingsley out of position at LCB even though he's the best LCB in the league?

Just tickles me a bit.

Seperately, for years I think at the club we've had a reluctance to play players up front who are either fast or a good finisher.  Been saying for yeeeeeaaaars that Jamie Walker was a CF waiting to happen!  His finishing and instints in the box are superb.  Play to them, god damn it!!  Similar happened with Euan Henderson, continually played out wide cos he's fast and a hard worker.  If you're gona play the kid, get him up top, man!

I think Gino is  a great option at CF.  We've seen it loads up here and at even higher levels, pace against CHs is a great thing - they hate it.  And yeah, he may miss chances etc, but what CF doesn't really.  Great option to have and glad to hear the club will be working on it.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
4 minutes ago, briever said:

Indeed, his penalty claim came about because he was reluctant to shoot when he should have.

That was the one that particularly stands out in my mind. Not that he didn't score but that he didn't even get anything on the ball. It was an awkward one to get a clean strike on, unlike his 2 goals, and it's almost as if he, like most non-strikers, was afraid to miss, preferring to keep running at the ball hoping it would eventually break kindly for him, or the keeper would deal with it, and so he wasn't seen to have 'missed'. He might well have been fouled in the incident, but I'm sure that was what he was hoping for rather than being determined to score. In saying this I'm not being critical of Ginnelly, the winger, he did what most wingers would do in that situation, but a striker has to be determined to score and, failing that, always try to strike the ball - with any part of his body, whether he scores, or not. I'll say this for him, though, he did 'lead the line' and was, throughout the game, the player most usually furthest forward, something that can't always be said of more recognised strikers.

We have looked really dangerous in the 2 games Gino has played the central role in the front 3, seems to bring out the best in McKay too. 

Berra than you
36 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Yeah I liked that second half. Would involve twerking the front three as you say so the central player is a false nine. We would need a bit more from wingback in this case but that's probably why we signed Atkinson.

45 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Great player - hopefully found his form

A tricky one for him. He has a lot of potential as a striker and - unlike other wingers - uses his physicality well. Isn’t afraid to try hold up the ball and compete in the air

Will see how it goes. Given Boyce/Woodburn like to come deep - and so does the Japanese lad we’re linked with - it is possible he could start out wide then make those runs into space

Him, Barrie and Boyce could be our best front 3 since early Romanov days

Gino is not a great player.

When we sign a proper striker he will be back to warming the bench.

He was brought in as a winger and can barely beat a man out wide and isn’t a great crosser of the ball.

at the risk of getting pelters I had flashbacks to John Colquhoun the way he latched onto that first goal. Second didn't seem that unfamiliar either.

I was surprised how much St Johnstone started to press in the game when still 0-0.  Been mentioned plenty before but when the space appears then the likes of Mckay and Gino are going to benefit.  IMO, Boyce would have gotten more joy in the 1st half when it was a bit more congested in the box.

Great having both options though and if we can improve the attacking options in January then brilliant. 

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Neilson strongly suggesting that this seems to be the plan going forward. No reason it can’t work if he’s got support with him to play him through. Bags of pace & shown he can be a really good finisher

Both his goals came from a wider position. I didn’t think he was that effective the rest of the match, but took his chances well. 

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

He just says he thinks he 'can' be a no.9. Obvious front three of McKay Boyce and Ginnelly for me. Both goals Gino had drifted to the right anyway.

LarrysRightFoot

Obviously there’s huge differences in quality (and the midfield set up) but Liverpool’s front 3 for the past few years has been Firmino as a false 9 dropping deep and having 2 rapid inside forwards Mane and Salah either side of him running into space. 

Now as I say Boyce, Ginnelly and McKay (or Woodburn, GMS) are nowhere near the quality but it gives an indication of how it could work, McKay would need to become more ruthless and direct however. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

Obviously there’s huge differences in quality (and the midfield set up) but Liverpool’s front 3 for the passes few years has been Firmino as a false 9 dropping deep and having 2 rapid inside forwards Mane and Salah either side of him running into space. 

Now as I say Boyce, Ginnelly and McKay (or Woodburn, GMS) are nowhere near the quality but it gives an indication of how it could work, McKay would need to become more ruthless and direct however. 

Not many people truly understand our attacking system but you’ve nailed it. We play a fluid and pacey front 3 who interchange and drag people about. No they are nowhere near Liverpools front 3 but the principle is the same. Your not going to see a big strapping centre forward or a ‘penalty box striker’ at Hearts whilst Neilson is here. Neither of those type of players suit or system 

Different games suit different styles but I do prefer Gino’s running in behind to Boyce’s dropping off. 

I thought Gino also showed short plenty times but his thoughts are always towards getting in behind when he can. 

I thought he generally played well, I don’t see what the complaints are? He worked tirelessly, had moments he kept it simple and moments he ran his marker.  Good show. 

Edited by Debut 4

Tom Hardy’s Dug

You know he scored both his goals coming in from the right attacking side rather than from a central attacking “striker” position?

Tactical change at half time from Robbie.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Not many people truly understand our attacking system but you’ve nailed it. We play a fluid and pacey front 3 who interchange and drag people about. No they are nowhere near Liverpools front 3 but the principle is the same. Your not going to see a big strapping centre forward or a ‘penalty box striker’ at Hearts whilst Neilson is here. Neither of those type of players suit or system 

An Origi type on the bench (mobile but physically bigger) is still a nice option. But it’s very much a plan B and it’s not worked with Gnando (although he gave us a lift in the Championship when we came in, so will always be grateful for that). 

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He just says he thinks he 'can' be a no.9. Obvious front three of McKay Boyce and Ginnelly for me. Both goals Gino had drifted to the right anyway.

Agreed, was poor in the first half up top with his back turned... Neilson clearly noticed this and rectified the problem by putting him on the right.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

No thanks.

Took his goals well but never a centre forward.

Took his goals more as a winger cutting in from the right than a centre forward.

Which possibly proves your point but it also proves Robbie right as well in making the change he did at have time 

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You know he scored both his goals coming in from the right attacking side rather than from a central attacking “striker” position?

Yip. We were saying that first thing at

work today.  Good tweak from RN

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Well said ! I'm worried if folk didn't actually realise this and especially when RN said it after the game as well 😅 

45 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

We have looked really dangerous in the 2 games Gino has played the central role in the front 3, seems to bring out the best in McKay too. 

Yep, someone like McKay will love having pace ahead of him.  When Boyce plays it's all a bit in front of the defence and McKay in particular has less targets.  Not Boyce's fault, that, just not that run in behind forward.

A wee mixture would be good.  Be great if they can work out a system that allows Boyce plus Gino (or a Gino type) to both play.  Shouldn't be too difficult you wouldn't think and I think having a more attack minded RWB in Natty Dred will help facilitate more of a 2 up front.  Bit more of a 3412 than the current 3421/343

16 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yep, someone like McKay will love having pace ahead of him.  When Boyce plays it's all a bit in front of the defence and McKay in particular has less targets.  Not Boyce's fault, that, just not that run in behind forward.

A wee mixture would be good.  Be great if they can work out a system that allows Boyce plus Gino (or a Gino type) to both play.  Shouldn't be too difficult you wouldn't think and I think having a more attack minded RWB in Natty Dred will help facilitate more of a 2 up front.  Bit more of a 3412 than the current 3421/343

I think this formation would suit us best given Boyce isn't great at running in behind and doesn't convert many chances. Boyce brings loads of positives to the side but IMO needs a partner who is strong where he is maybe not as strong, McKay could run the show behind the 2 strikers. 

A_A wehatethehibs

The simpler view:

- Strong and don’t get easily pushed off the ball

- Pace to run in behind and the channels
- Flexibility to go wide and still be comfortable looking to cross & create for a team mate
- Good stamina to maintain that for at least 60-70mins

- most important of all, can finish

With all the above he could easily be a #9 in the SPL and get at least 10-15 goals in a team that passes the ball on the deck. The big thing he lacks is aerial threat.

You don’t need to be Cavani or Aguero genius positional striker to be a pretty handy SPL striker. Certainly happier watching Gino there than Gnanduillet thats for sure 

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Took his goals more as a winger cutting in from the right than a centre forward.

Which possibly proves your point but it also proves Robbie right as well in making the change he did at have time 

Yip.

Took his goals well but did not a lot for most of game form either on wing or through middle.

Emergency stand in for me only.

29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The simpler view:

- Strong and don’t get easily pushed off the ball

- Pace to run in behind and the channels
- Flexibility to go wide and still be comfortable looking to cross & create for a team mate
- Good stamina to maintain that for at least 60-70mins

- most important of all, can finish

With all the above he could easily be a #9 in the SPL and get at least 10-15 goals in a team that passes the ball on the deck. The big thing he lacks is aerial threat.

You don’t need to be Cavani or Aguero genius positional striker to be a pretty handy SPL striker. Certainly happier watching Gino there than Gnanduillet thats for sure 

Exactly.  It's about playing to our players' strengths which is something we really weirdly don't seem to have done for years!!!  So if he plays up top, it's about playing in a way that gets the best out of him.  I think we're quite well set up to do that.

He hasn’t shown anything playing back to the goal. Therefore, not a central striker.  

However, he scores goals and that’s what we need. We need to fit him in the team. 

We need to be fluid to allow players to get in and around the box and score goals. 

way out west jambo

It will take a bit of coaching in terms of positioning, shielding the ball and making it stick up top more however, we need to play to Gino’s strengths at No9. Playing with his back to goal isn’t ideal we need to play him through. Exactly how we started the 2nd half last night with through penetrating balls, that would suit Gino the best.