It ain't half hot mum..

Morgan

Chillies!

We are massive fans of really hot chillies.

Our friends in California regularly send, or bring us, different fresh and dried chillies from Mexico.

This time they have excelled themselves.

Two kinds of dried chillies which are 2,000,000 and 1,800,000 on the Scoville scale respectively.

Trinidad Morusa Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia Ghost peppers.

:wow:

Any other chilli fanatics out there?

That was one of the few things I missed about living in the US while I was over there. Everything has a spicy or chili version here and I grew up with hot sauce with every meal for some part of it. A nice runny egg with hot sauce and buttered toast will always be a comfort food. Packing my suitcase with bottles of various kinds when I come back.

13 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

That was one of the few things I missed about living in the US while I was over there. Everything has a spicy or chili version here and I grew up with hot sauce with every meal for some part of it. A nice runny egg with hot sauce and buttered toast will always be a comfort food. Packing my suitcase with bottles of various kinds when I come back.

Every supermarket and most shops here will also have bottles of hot sauce, but maybe not in the variety and range you would get in the US.  :ermm:  Lupe Pintos deli in Bruntsfield will have a good selection of US & Mexican sauces though. I think there's a branch in Glasgow too.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Every supermarket and most shops here will also have bottles of hot sauce, but maybe not in the variety and range you would get in the US.  :ermm:

Variety is what I missed, should have been specific about it. Also, I'm a fan of southern US and Mexican style hot sauce, definitely hard to get over there.

41 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Chillies!

We are massive fans of really hot chillies.

Our friends in California regularly send, or bring us, different fresh and dried chillies from Mexico.

This time they have excelled themselves.

Two kinds of dried chillies which are 2,000,000 and 1,800,000 on the Scoville scale respectively.

Trinidad Morusa Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia Ghost peppers.

:wow:

Any other chilli fanatics out there?

Habanero might be one of the best flavours on earth. 

If done correctly there is a slight initial heat that quickly wears off to leave the most fantastic flavour. I honestly cant get enough of the stuff. 

OOOOOOOOOOOO nnnnooooooooooo

NO thanks.

I just cant. 

I used to like jalapenos though but cant even eat them now in Mexican dishes. 

Paddy Crossan

I thought this was going to be about the excellent comedy with Windsor Davies and Don Estelle, never to be shown again due to political correctness gone mad

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I thought this was going to be about the excellent comedy with Windsor Davies and Don Estelle, never to be shown again due to political correctness gone mad

Same here.

Love thy Neighbour was decent.

Love spice. Though I always make sure I get a raita with a hot curry as heat relief.

Growing some scotch bonnets, though they'll be used sparingly in anything I make :laugh:

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Same here.

I watched a George and Mildred and an On the Buses over Christmas. They were both terrible. You could see the jokes coming from three miles away. 

Used to buy a crazy amount of hot sauces. Chili pepper Pete always had a great variety. I'll never forget "Santa's shit", which was an iteration of "Satans shit". My lips felt like they'd been stung by bees

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Every supermarket and most shops here will also have bottles of hot sauce, but maybe not in the variety and range you would get in the US.  :ermm:  Lupe Pintos deli in Bruntsfield will have a good selection of US & Mexican sauces though. I think there's a branch in Glasgow too.

Lupe Pintos was a regular of mine when I lived in Edinburgh.

The owner, Dougie, developed his love for Mexican food etc. by touring America and Mexico with his then girlfriend, now wife.  They wrote a book about their escapades and opened the shop on their return.

A great wee shop in which he has now expanded his range of foods and drink.

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Lupe Pintos was a regular of mine when I lived in Edinburgh.

The owner, Dougie, developed his love for Mexican food etc. by touring America and Mexico with his then girlfriend, now wife.  They wrote a book about their escapades and opened the shop on their return.

A great wee shop in which he has now expanded his range of foods and drink.

I've not been in for ages, but Lupe Pintos is a fantastic. When I was working in the area I used to miss buses all the time, as I'd either nip in to buy something or would be staring in the window.  One time I bought some bottles of lager which had whole chillies in them. As much as I love chillies, the stuff was ******* rank. Must be the only time I've bought something I didn't like there.

I've got some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T seeds, which I will plant in a couple of months or so.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Mister T said:

I watched a George and Mildred and an On the Buses over Christmas. They were both terrible. You could see the jokes coming from three miles away. 

Certainly dated programmes now.

Samuel Camazzola

I sampled the Kismot Killer a few years back which uses an abundance of naga chillies I believe. JEEZ! Took around 15 minutes and several glugs of milk to gain a bit of composure again. 

Initial taste was OK but then it ignited and kept on repeating. No idea how anyone could finish one (or at least clear the bulk of it). 🌶 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I sampled the Kismot Killer a few years back which uses an abundance of naga chillies I believe. JEEZ! Took around 15 minutes and several glugs of milk to gain a bit of composure again. 

Initial taste was OK but then it ignited and kept on repeating. No idea how anyone could finish one (or at least clear the bulk of it). 🌶 

I enjoy really hot food. However, at an Indian I ordered a negative curry. I've seen fires that are cooler. The waitress brought me some yoghurt to put out the flames. As you said, how can anyone enjoy something so hot it would shatter asbestos blocks.

Chillies can become addictive, there was a time when I used to pop into the greengrocers for a bag of Habaneros before a visit to the pub, would stand at the Bar drinking and chomping away on the Chillies. 

When i started chopping them up and puting them on my Cornflakes I realised I had a bit of a problem, had to do a full scale avoid for a few years to wean myself of them, been clean now for a number of years but still take it a day at a time.

4 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

I bought the full DVD set years ago for a binge watch with my mate over the Xmas period, never got round to it and still got the set wrapped up in the cellophane wrapper. Must get round to watching it 😀

A mate makes and sells his own hot sauce. The type of stuff you add about 3 drops to a chilli and it takes it to a different level. And not to be tasted on its own under any circumstances. 

A Boy Named Crow

I used to be right in about the chillis, started on jalepenos as a wean, then up through bird eye chillis, habaneros, ghost and carolina reapers... then I met my wife, who can't tolerate them at all. I tried finding inventive ways to make meals delicious without them...but I have resorted to bottles of hot sauce now. One of my mates makes his own, it's something I'm definitely getting into!

highlandjambo3

Managed to see a bottle of this a few months back…..had to buy it…….you need to gargle Tabasco sauce afterwords to cool your mouth down.  I’m just about finished the bottle but, will be buying more on Amazon shortly.

2CE6F98E-C4C5-42EE-8614-6A4159F531B0.webp

I used to be OK with a bit of hot sauce in things like tacos, but then I developed GERD.

Now, any hint of heat gives me a dose of acid reflux that makes me curl up in agony, so those days are gone.  My family, on the other hand, have competitions to see who can tolerate the most heat.  They try to outdo each other with hot sauce on crackers. They're crazy.

🌶️🌶️

12 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Same here.

:notsure: 

12 hours ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Nigel, is that you?  

Not broadcasting folk blacking up is not political correctness, it's common fecking decency.  

image.jpg

Favourite for now. 

Pretty much with everything but found a fried/boiled egg with some of this lightly spread on the toast/roll is a match made in heaven. 

Rupert Pupkin

This is rather nice... Small Batch Scotch Bonnet sauce aged in a whisky cask. Nice wee kick and a nice fruity flavour 

Inspired by Legendary PURE DJ The Dribbler’s book “Harry’s Kebabs.”

B9215306-4D86-49E1-875C-FE096FD6E6D9.jpeg

On 18/01/2022 at 18:16, Paddy Crossan said:

SHARRRAAAAPPP!!!

highlandjambo3
On 19/01/2022 at 03:41, Maple Leaf said:

I used to be OK with a bit of hot sauce in things like tacos, but then I developed GERD.

Now, any hint of heat gives me a dose of acid reflux that makes me curl up in agony, so those days are gone.  My family, on the other hand, have competitions to see who can tolerate the most heat.  They try to outdo each other with hot sauce on crackers. They're crazy.

🌶️🌶️

Buy this on Amazon:

pour the contents into an unmarked sauce bottle, have them do another competition…….this will be the last hot sauce competition they ever have.

FDC4331F-E5D3-400F-8247-E06A3F44E828.webp

Konrad von Carstein

We love this stuff, use it with chicken wings, chips anything really....is it blow your head off*? No but its got a hit!

image.png.f2116e5fca5de5e3be82136d95268f2f.png

*love very (very) hot curries etc but this sauce gives a reasonable kick